Page 179 of 191 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,370 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    That is the key point... "not coming immediately is ridiculous". He should be there on the bench on Saturday but complete fail if he is not in the line up for the Home Opener on Mar 17th.
    Coming in March is better than not coming at all. VV was very good and made a huge difference for TFC and Poz is rated way higher and is much younger.

Being able to control the middle and thread thru a pass for chances will cover for a substantial amount of weakness. This is what Poz should bring and thus he’s worth waiting on. It also allows them time for getting a wing on TAM. They know who’s the focal point now so waiting a month is better than walking away and starting from scratch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Regarding the money: if MLSE wants to be a sports brand of any really consequence, it won’t get there by spending on the Leafs. It’s the Raptors and TFC they need to put the big money into. Hockey has no international presence. So they should be spending on TFC.
    I agree with this 100% and I think they see it this way as well. Having a solid international presence will drive up the value of both franchises and I am sure they are targeting that. This first real toe dip into the Euro transfer market was a solid start. Simple deals like Giovinco get a bit of mention in the Euro news but this prolonged transfer saga is priceless and in the end, TFC got what they wanted. That's a solid statement on the international market that will put eyes back on us like they were in 2017 when we were on the rumor list of interested teams for pretty much every available player. I expect a lot of player rumors like the Queresma one right through to summer now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I really hope you don't edit that out. We'll see how it all plays out, but it really has (and still is, for now) a palaver: "unnecessarily elaborate or complex procedure."

I will be very happy if Pozuelo, and TAM player x & y, all work out, and the team is all settled & playing well together within a few weeks or months. And as you said, that still leaves the things they didn't do well last year (and most of us didn't pay attention to you on that). I do have to wonder if the current largesse -- even if it's the right player to target in the end -- isn't at least partly due to current panic on FO's part.
    Haha too funny
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Jozy not playing in CCL or for home opener due to mysterious "slight" strain, unrelated to his ankle.

I'm sure his agent will ensure that he sees a doctor for a medical as soon as possible.
    Yes - this situation might have made signing Poz more urgent. Could you imagine they announced Jozy leaving before the Poz deal was done? It would have been a disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Yes - this situation might have made signing Poz more urgent. Could you imagine they announced Jozy leaving before the Poz deal was done? It would have been a disaster.
    It will still be a disaster. Poz replaces Vasquez but who replaces Seba and Jozy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't have much of a problem with management regarding Pozuelo. We should have pushed the issue with Giovinco earlier to get ahead of the whole thing but you have to acknowledge this is also incredibly unlucky - 9 times out of 10 you just pay the release clause and get the player. I don't know how TFC or any outside club would be privy to the information of Poz and Genk having whatever "agreement" they had. It's not the best result in the end but management is investing big money and managed to convince Genk to sell, and they seemed pretty hell-bent on not doing that.

The zero movement on a TAM winger, that I don't get at all. We need one and Vanney wants one regardless of what DP we sign. Menendez apparently has fallen through yet he seems to have been our sole focus, and frankly doesn't seem an impressive enough player to warrant that attention. We're looking for probably the most abundant type of player available from South America and we came back with one name and then didn't get him? This is a need we knew we had back in November and we've done nothing and the season is starting in 5 days. Really poor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    It will still be a disaster. Poz replaces Vasquez but who replaces Seba and Jozy?
    Depending on what China is offering for Kamara, I would give him a max TAM deal easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Depending on what China is offering for Kamara, I would give him a max TAM deal easy.
    He’s a bit of a disruptive force. Would stay away what does Cyle Larin want these days to bungle I’m a few chances?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Exactly. VV was TAM and we are replacing him with a DP. therefore we are replacing Seba with TAM. means more risk - can get quality but might not. Hopefully not seeking a replacement for Jozy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He’s a bit of a disruptive force. Would stay away what does Cyle Larin want these days to bungle I’m a few chances?
    It's Ola Kamara not Kei.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the key point... "not coming immediately is ridiculous". He should be there on the bench on Saturday but complete fail if he is not in the line up for the Home Opener on Mar 17th.
    You realize that Genk has their final game on March 17, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Ola Kamara not Kei.
    Meh. Not Jozy. Certainly not Seba. Maybe if we keep Jozy, as a supplement/ back up

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but if Genk’s position is locked, which it looks like it is. Their last two games are against a mid table and bottom of the table team. He should be at our first home game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but if Genk’s position is locked, which it looks like it is. Their last two games are against a mid table and bottom of the table team. He should be at our first home game.
    Thats not how the Belgian League works. Points from the regular season are carried over and halved going in the championship round (a round robin tournament of the top six teams). Doesn't matter which position Genk is in, they want him there to help accumulate maximum points heading into that round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Thats not how the Belgian League works. Points from the regular season are carried over and halved going in the championship round (a round robin tournament of the top six teams). Doesn't matter which position Genk is in, they want him there to help accumulate maximum points heading into that round.
    I think at this point they are passed "wanting" him there, its over. Think they were trying to squeeze whatever else they could from TFC, but really why would you want such a distraction around any longer?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Meh. Not Jozy. Certainly not Seba. Maybe if we keep Jozy, as a supplement/ back up
    No he isn't them but he averages around 15 goals a season and is TAM level. That's pretty good. Nothing against Boyd and his wages but I would feel a lot better if we had someone like this behind or with Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Ola Kamara not Kei.
    Oh, well then.... disregard, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Sorry, but I think we will know (at a first stage level) by October, in playoffs or not.
    I foresee this year as the transition year - monitor, swap some pieces around mid-season, monitor again, then purchase the remaining players in the off-season needed to get back to the CCL final level of quality. I believe any transition period needs 3 transfer windows to get right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it safe to say there's a juicy clause in this deal in the event of injury between now and change of hands?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Great! He's coming after March 17, right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-26-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Off topic, but huh?
    Hockey is a niche sport in a few northern countries. Not even in top ten.

​What Are The Most Popular Sports In The World?

Rank Sport Estimated Global Following Primary Sphere of Influence
    1 Soccer (Association Football) 4.0 Billion Globally
    2 Cricket 2.5 Billion UK and Commonwealth
    3 Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia
    4 Tennis 1 Billion Globally
    5 Volleyball 900 Million Western Europe and North America
    6 Table Tennis 875 Million Globally
    7 Basketball 825 Million Globally
    8 Baseball 500 Million United States, Caribbean, and Japan
    9 Rugby 475 Million UK and Commonwealth
    10 Golf 450 Million Western Europe, East Asia, and North America

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Is it safe to say there's a juicy clause in this deal in the event of injury between now and change of hands?
    I really hope so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Hockey is a niche sport in a few northern countries. Not even in top ten.

​What Are The Most Popular Sports In The World?

Rank Sport Estimated Global Following Primary Sphere of Influence
    1 Soccer (Association Football) 4.0 Billion Globally
    2 Cricket 2.5 Billion UK and Commonwealth
    3 Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia
    4 Tennis 1 Billion Globally
    5 Volleyball 900 Million Western Europe and North America
    6 Table Tennis 875 Million Globally
    7 Basketball 825 Million Globally
    8 Baseball 500 Million United States, Caribbean, and Japan
    9 Rugby 475 Million UK and Commonwealth
    10 Golf 450 Million Western Europe, East Asia, and North America
    So you agree with the OP, and MLSE should pivot expenses and resources from the Toronto Maple Leafs, with an estimated net worth of 1.4 billion to... Toronto FC and the Toronto Wolfpack??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    So you agree with the OP, and MLSE should pivot expenses and resources from the Toronto Maple Leafs, with an estimated net worth of 1.4 billion to... Toronto FC and the Toronto Wolfpack??
    They don't have to pivot anything. They have the money. Just allocate a bit more to the ones with the potential for international growth. I have no idea how the Wolfpack and rugby in general work but in MLS with this CBA there is only so much you can do and I think we're at the threshold basically.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I think it's not safe to say anything. However I think I read somewhere, that one of the latest holdups was insurance-related. Could certainly have to do with covering the injury risk. Sorry no idea where I saw that, I've been browsing too many badly-translated Belgian articles & various rumour mongers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't have to pivot anything. They have the money. Just allocate a bit more to the ones with the potential for international growth. I have no idea how the Wolfpack and rugby in general work but in MLS with this CBA there is only so much you can do and I think we're at the threshold basically.
    I'm being facetious, but i mean i don't think it's one or the other kind of thing - why can't you have both? Like seriously, Toronto had the HIGHEST salary in the league (it wasn't even that close) in a league that severly limits the talent you could bring in ... why is that kind of commitment not enough?