Page 1 of 191 123451151101 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2018-2019 player off season moves/speculation/rumours

TFC 2018-2019 player Off-season moves/speculation/rumours
    Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings can get a separate single thread. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, two days early!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even three days early... could have been posted Monday, October 29.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Page hype!

Well we know this will become an active thread at least as there should be a lot to discuss!
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    First Page hype!

Well we know this will become an active thread at least as there should be a lot to discuss!
    For sure!
    If we won't have a lot to discuss it means that the 2019 season too is in big trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to regain the off-season champions crown

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beyond the obvious "everywhere", what would you say are priority areas to reinforce?

The medical staff and field come to mind...

We need to shore up the defensive midfield spot and Bradley needs to take some rest. I think a lot of his miscues come when he's played a lot and is not as sharp.

The defense needs some help, although health was a huge factor there and this is MLS, so quality defensive depth is a luxury for most teams. When healthy, Mavinga and Moor still make for one of the best pairings in the league. Add VDW in there and I think a back three like that should be solid, if we continue to play a back three.

Vazquez and Altidore are huge for us and the drop-off when they aren't playing is also huge, so we need some sort of offensive backup for those guys, both in personnel and tactics.

My thoughts so far...
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see any fault in your logic, Jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continuing the discussion from the closed thread.

Graham Zusi in 2010 was in MLS 1.0, and really things didn't change until 3-4 years ago. Chapman has an uphill task.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Economic considerations, long missing from the equation, are coming back.

Its not obvious to me that TFC’s $100M spend on DPs over the last 5 years will be seen as successful by MLSE. The club has not moved the ratings needle much (aside from the biggest games).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Economic considerations, long missing from the equation, are coming back.

Its not obvious to me that TFC’s $100M spend on DPs over the last 5 years will be seen as successful by MLSE. The club has not moved the ratings needle much (aside from the biggest games).
    unfortunately that was also affected by a horrible year - if TFC was still around the top of the league and in a solid playoff position they would have continued to grow interest. Even the various media scribes that began noticing, talking and writing about them for the first time dropped off this year.

anyway my 2 cents, as my broken record continues to say, we need first and foremost a solid, big, fleet-of-foot, commanding CB combined with a rested healthy roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need at least 1 centre-back, a left back, an attacking midfielder (unfortunately I think Vazquez is done because of his injuries, maybe he gets a bench role but we could use the TAM), at least one striker, 2 if Jozy leaves (I doubt he will).

I also think we need to give Endoh another chance if he continues to play like he did for TFC II this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Willing to give Bono another go. Irwin wasn't close to providing value for his wage, bye bye.

Two CBs are a must, ship the nephew out and let Hagglund work his way out from the bottom. At least one must be starting material, Moor is a question mark for next season. Wasn't a fan of VDV, would not be sad to see him cut for someone who is better value for 800K. Retain Auro if he wants to stay. Could do with a better LB backup than Morgan.

Finally find a proper defensive midfielder to ease the pressure off Bradley. I can't even blame Bradley for being so poor. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing him fill the No. 8 role if they can land a starting-calibre CDM. With Oso's extension, not sure how much money will be left to take another punt on a creative mid. Hopefully, Bez can find a way to get Aketxe off the books permanently. Praying Vazquez can sort himself out this offseason.

Assuming Jozy leaves, there will obviously be a significant hole to fill at striker. I expect his replacement to command a lower salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Willing to give Bono another go. Irwin wasn't close to providing value for his wage, bye bye.

Two CBs are a must, ship the nephew out and let Hagglund work his way out from the bottom. At least one must be starting material, Moor is a question mark for next season. Wasn't a fan of VDV, would not be sad to see him cut for someone who is better value for 800K. Retain Auro if he wants to stay. Could do with a better LB backup than Morgan.

Finally find a proper defensive midfielder to ease the pressure off Bradley. I can't even blame Bradley for being so poor. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing him fill the No. 8 role if they can land a starting-calibre CDM. With Oso's extension, not sure how much money will be left to take another punt on a creative mid. Hopefully, Bez can find a way to get Aketxe off the books permanently. Praying Vazquez can sort himself out this offseason.

Assuming Jozy leaves, there will obviously be a significant hole to fill at striker. I expect his replacement to command a lower salary.
    I think Hagglund could end up on FC Cincinnati. His hometown team. Especially if we get 2 new CBs. I think I heard during the last TFC game on TSN that Gregory van der Wiel would be willing to become a CB full-time. He's been better there than at RB, and it would also allow Auro to get some good minutes
    Last edited by BenRhodes23; 10-26-2018 at 05:05 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get rid of that stupid Bud thing they have in the North West corner. Their brewery in London don't do craft beer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if I'm alone on this but I am fine with our DM situation because I think Fraser is more up to it than people realize. He's just behind a soccer android that plays every minute of every game.

I would bring in a box-to-box player first to challenge Delgado before looking at DM.

Priority list for me:

1. TAM CB
    2. DP Striker (assuming Jozy leaves)
    3. Flexible midfielder that is primarily box-to-box but enough creativity to fill in for Vazquez when needed (basically Aketxe, but good)
    4. Bench CB
    5. Bench LB (just trade for Edwards)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Continuing the discussion from the closed thread.

Graham Zusi in 2010 was in MLS 1.0, and really things didn't change until 3-4 years ago. Chapman has an uphill task.
    No argument there. Just stirring the pot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    unfortunately that was also affected by a horrible year - if TFC was still around the top of the league and in a solid playoff position they would have continued to grow interest. Even the various media scribes that began noticing, talking and writing about them for the first time dropped off this year.
    No, I don’t think that's it. The interest wasn’t there when we were good either.

1) The strategy isn’t working

This is a story that really caught my eye when it came out. I bookmarked it at the time.
    https://www.citynews1130.com/2017/08...-numbers-drop/

We were a stunning and entertaining team averaging 90K last year in TV ratings (I think it wound up at 94K). That is pathetic (in corporate speak). Then we followed up MLS Cup by trying but failing to replace BMO as the jersey/stadium sponsor.

That is not success. That is not the vision Leiweke sold.

(Sure we get 1M plus for MLS Cup or a Toronto-Montreal ECF. But that isn’t the metric to focus on. Those are rare events.)

We spend and lose a lot of money, and it’s not clear you need to, many good teams don’t (anyone so inclined, please spare me the SUM digression, that is a separate business, spending on MLS players has zip to do with SUM)

Also beware arguments about “asset value” building strategies, that growth is happening for expansion values and teams that don’t spend, just as much as they are for teams that do spend.

2) I don’t think the financial health of the league is all that great. Rising expansion values are about the financial health of the super rich, not the intrinsic business dynamics.

This talk of cutting back the third DP is a warning sign, as is the pace of expansion. They are using expansion fees to run the league. I and the other longtimers have lived this movie plot line once before.

All that to say, methinks an ill wind this way blows.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-26-2018 at 07:23 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This talk of cutting back the third DP is a warning sign, as is the pace of expansion. They are using expansion fees to run the league. I and the other longtimers have lived this movie plot line once before.

All that to say, methinks an ill wind this way blows.
    I don't think it's all that bad for the league (I do agree with you that TFC has not given MLSE a return on their money).

I remember the original NASL too. The "expansion fees to run the league" was really a problem with them near the end. Basically anyone with $100,000 could get a franchise. I don't think MLS has been anywhere as rash, they are much pickier about ownership. You also can't separate SUM from the equation. Owning an MLS franchise gives the owner/operator a share of SUM's tv revenue. This is what is really driving interest in the league. No different than the EPL, which loses money at the gate, but gains money through TV.

Finally the proposal to eliminate the 3rd DP is a perfect example that MLS' structure is working exactly as it is supposed to, and that is a safeguard. One of the major factors in the NASL collapse was out of control spending; the single entity can make rules to reign that in, even abolish all DPs if necessary.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-27-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know why anybody would think this was going to turn into an overnight ratings success. If the focus was supposed to be TV they failed before they even started. Time slots and telecast quality are inconsistent and frequently su-par. If the mission was building goodwill and future generations of fans I think they did a great job.

General interest and awareness of the team has grown tremendously in recent years. I find it hard to characterize that in a sentence or two but I see many signs of it.

Maybe that’s not smart money or quick returns but I consider myself lucky as a fan they are doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SUM thing is a distraction and is NOT strategic to MLS.

SUM is simply a rights holder. The linkage that arises is between the USSF and the SUM/MLS entities. Which means the USSF boss the league on lots of issues (like international dates, or also Canadian domestic status, for instance!) in return for helping them get international broadcast rights.

The owners of MLS could close down MLS and keep operating it SUM. But then they would probably lose rights over time. question is whether that is inevitable anyway - the whole SUM thing stinks

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/01/25...-gulati-carter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know someone else had mentioned Waston (meh) but I think there are some other decent parts on that Vancouver team we could benefit from picking the carcass of.

Reyna would be a great fit. Very fast, plays as either a #10 or a full-out striker. Salary very reasonable for what he provides (near max money, low TAM).

Maybe a few others who would slot further down the depth chart.

They are a flawed team but always put a premium on speed. Something we sorely lack and needs to be addressed in the off-season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to go for it again in CCL. I sense that maybe most don’t, so let’s discuss.

CCL was worth it. You know why it was worth it?

I am watching the Clasico as I type this. Imagine watching this game because you are scouting the game for the Club World Cup in a few weeks. We came within a whisker of that.

We are a club that didn’t even exist a dozen years ago.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-28-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to go for it again in CCL. I sense that maybe most don’t, so let’s discuss.

I am watching the Clasico as I type this. Imagine watching this game because you are scouting the game for the Club World Cup in a few weeks. We came within a whisker of that.

Wholeheartedly agree...it's tough given the rules limit the available depth but I agree we have to go for every trophy available to us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing Seba to a long term contract should be priority #1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In retrospect I don’t think it was worth it. We need better balance next year, and should never assume you can give away 5 or 6 MLS games and still make the playoffs. MLS is still the bread and butter. That said this year was a particular moment that doesn’t come around often. I don’t blame them for going for it. I just don’t want to do it that way again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what we saw tonight, Hernandez is gone for sure & probably Haglund. Jozy being the only player NOT out on the pitch after the game was a bit startling too.

Seba's reactions all game were those of a player who knows this game didn't mean that much except professional pride. Its the right attitude to have. When he scored, Seba didn't really celebrate as much as exhale knowing his work was done. I'd like to see more of that European champions approach - you are there to win, not just to participate. I think he stays - maybe for less money but he stays.

I also think Janson might have just played himself into a contract tonight - his work rate is phenomenal and he does pull players away from Seba like nobody else on this team but Jozy. If he can score like he did tonight (the second goal looked easier then it actually was) and maybe bag 10+ a season, that would be enough. I love Jozy but if he is moving on, Janson is a good replacement. (assuming we have 3 DP's still)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I also think Janson might have just played himself into a contract tonight - his work rate is phenomenal and he does pull players away from Seba like nobody else on this team but Jozy. If he can score like he did tonight (the second goal looked easier then it actually was) and maybe bag 10+ a season, that would be enough. I love Jozy but if he is moving on, Janson is a good replacement. (assuming we have 3 DP's still)
    I would still be worried about a lack of height in that case. Jansen jumps quite well, but he's just 5' 7". If teams defending us know they never have to worry about a high cross, it makes us easier to defend. Also a lack of hold-up play, and no tall target to receive the occasional long ball / goal kick out of the back. Lining up like that now & then is fine, and I love Jansen's speed & hustle, but depending on that lineup all season is risky IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point - Atlanta doesn't have much height up front either to be honest. (Almiron is 6 foot 1 and probably the tallest guy up there) And it hurts them too. They tried using Kenwynne Jones last year but it just didn't work.

Saw a stat on twitter tonight.

TFC's goals for total this year was the second most in club history - only beaten by last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they can get Janson to a TAM contract, I’d keep him(apparently TFC is trying to negotiate the buyout clause down). He can play as a winger, striker, or AM. And he’s only 24. Perfect guy to fill in if there are injuries anywhere or guys need rest. He can start or come off the bench. I’m praying both Hagglund and Zav are gone. Get 2 CB’s, Draft a CB at 6, and you also have VDW who can play back there. I’d be ok with just that. Resigning Janson and 2 CB’s.

Guys that need to go:
    Irwin
    Ricketts
    Zavaleta
    Hagglund
    Morgan if he doesn’t take a paycut
    Barkero (might be our buyout candidate)

Combined, that’s just over a million on the cap.

Half of that will go to Osario. The other half can go towards 2 CB’s. Bez said something about a youth fund of allocation starting this year, which is interesting.

The only guy that I want to put on this list, but will give the beginning of season to redeem himself is Bono.