Page 162 of 191 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,860 of 5725
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This was one of the more interesting off season threads that's for sure.

The in-season thread should be up as of tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    kind of an interesting point. Is CCL “season”? What if we haven’t signed all our players?
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    alas until next season with off-season thread.
    been a good read! See you guys on the flippity
    i agree. Why do they have it?
    In-season thread starts when the MLS season starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    That's a little harsh. I wouldn't wish the TTC on my worst enemies.

Seriously though, you are correct about Vanney. He showed nothing after he arrived as an inexperienced coach and has shown little improvement after his relative superclub spared him from himself in 2017. He won't last the season if management doesn't bring in the talent to save him once again.
    your last paragraph is pretty rich to be honest. Show me a great team and I will show you a great coach. He has evolved since his arrival. Did he try something overly ambitious in our first competitive match this year sure. He should not be judged until he has the full squad in place. By the way I guess you forgot his tactical switch against Seattle in the 2017 finals.

This team was over reliant on their DPs. Due to the fact we could only play one way due to the squad’s construction. A lot of this is on Bez for leaving the team with 0 depth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    This team was over reliant on their DPs. Due to the fact we could only play one way due to the squad’s construction. A lot of this is on Bez for leaving the team with 0 depth.
    I agree with this but this season will be Vanney's biggest test. He has shown he can adjust in-game and we owe our 2017 MLS Cup to that but can he change our tactics as the squad reshapes this season. We need to be faster, more decisive, and hit with pace like we did a few years ago. This meandering, short passing, negative possession game has had it's day. Question is how ingrained is it on the players now? You can see that almost none of them want to shoot. Everyone looks to just keep passing in the box, even when it repeatedly fails. I know this was the game plan with Giovinco but even that was nullified a lot last season and against low block defending in general. I wouldn't fire him yet but if by summer it's the same walking speed attacking style but with a new formation then either he has to go, we need to refresh most of the squad, or both.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree with this but this season will be Vanney's biggest test. He has shown he can adjust in-game and we owe our 2017 MLS Cup to that but can he change our tactics as the squad reshapes this season. We need to be faster, more decisive, and hit with pace like we did a few years ago. This meandering, short passing, negative possession game has had it's day. Question is how ingrained is it on the players now? You can see that almost none of them want to shoot. Everyone looks to just keep passing in the box, even when it repeatedly fails. I know this was the game plan with Giovinco but even that was nullified a lot last season and against low block defending in general. I wouldn't fire him yet but if by summer it's the same walking speed attacking style but with a new formation then either he has to go, we need to refresh most of the squad, or both.
    To be fair, Vanney has been saying for a year now that our play is too slow. I'm not sure the plodding pass it around the back ever was Vanney's style. Team needs speed outwide and quicker ball movement. The supposed targets will provide that. Whether those targets can instill that speed of movement into the rest of the team remains to be seen.

We need a change of mentality. As much as we all said this is Bradley's team, I've come to the conclusion that it really was Seba's team warped to maximize his strengths & rely upon his individual brilliance. Team needs to be more pragmatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I never liked Ciman. When we played against him my only thought all game was "please don't let our guys get hurt by him" with his stupid slide tackles. My other thought when TFC playing against him is it is just a matter of time until he gets a red card for one of those tackles. Now the bloody guy is on our team and you could see tonight how many of those reckless slide tackles he did which all basically failed to produce any results and could have easily injured the other players. Mark my words. He will injure players with those this year. We will see some red cards and possible penalties from those this year. Other than that his positional sense tonight sucked. How he ever won MLS defender of the year is beyond me. I always thought so. Now we have to watch that crap on our team this year. I would take Moor too.
    Yup never liked him when he was with Montreal and can’t count how many times his errors resulted in goals . Already saw some of that already last night and even in that other thrashing by Las Vegas in a preseason game a few weeks ago. The fact TFC signed this guy this year already told me what kind of season to expect from this team and we saw the beginning of it last night . Ciman Zaveletta different names same crap players !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    ..We need a change of mentality. As much as we all said this is Bradley's team, I've come to the conclusion that it really was Seba's team warped to maximize his strengths & rely upon his individual brilliance. Team needs to be more pragmatic.

For those wondering why I keep banging on about this, I present this stat from KJ

We haven't scored a goal without Seba on the team sheet since May of 2018.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    You know it's bad when you look at the bench and long for Nick DeLeon and Ryan Telfer
    I have to admit, that gave me a good laugh - which after last night, was very much needed. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems that today there is clarity in the file of Alejandro Pozuelo. On Wednesday, he was still training with the eye on Thursday's European match against Slavia Prague, but it still seems that news will soon be coming in his transfer file. Het Laatste Nieuws repeats that in principle there is still a breakthrough in the negotiations between KRC Genk and Toronto.

https://krcgenkrss.be/2019/02/20/bre...andro-pozuelo/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    It seems that today there is clarity in the file of Alejandro Pozuelo. On Wednesday, he was still training with the eye on Thursday's European match against Slavia Prague, but it still seems that news will soon be coming in his transfer file. Het Laatste Nieuws repeats that in principle there is still a breakthrough in the negotiations between KRC Genk and Toronto.

This will be interesting. TFC didn’t help Manning's negotiating position last night.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In keeping the transfer theme, maybe we should roll everyone up into one spot and measure the chances. I see the following

CAM - Poz 75% likely to happen
    G - Westburg 50% likely
    F - Menendez 50% likely

Who am I missing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Thank God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    In keeping the transfer theme, maybe we should roll everyone up into one spot and measure the chances. I see the following

CAM - Poz 75% likely to happen
    G - Westburg 50% likely
    F - Menendez 50% likely

Who am I missing?
    I would still like to know wtf TFC was doing down in Mexico last week. I still think we need another winger, and rb on top of Menendez and Poz.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For those wondering why I keep banging on about this, I present this stat from KJ

I mentioned this in a tweet I sent to Micheal Leach in response to him hinting that TFC didn't necessarily have a scoring problem last season and shouldn't be a worry this season:

That's fair to say. TFC played 13 matches where they only scored one goal or less. When scoring two or more goals in a match, Giovinco or Vasquez scored (5 games where they didn't directly score but I bet you they've gotten an assist in those games).

His response was we need to get over them and move on, to which I replied:

I don't want to dwell on them, but I do want to focus on the roles they played. Roles that are not filled by anyone on the roster. Yes, the team is trying to get players in, but as of right now they have nothing. Those are big rolls to fill and competition has already begun.

Full convo can be found here:
    https://twitter.com/MLeach680News/status/1098054489364254720
    Last edited by jabbronies; 02-20-2019 at 02:31 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Yep, broke in the last day or two. He recently signed with a Montreal based agent. TFC has stated they intend to sign a third GK.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, what I'm seeing is a team not moving on from those players in terms of how players play the ball with their teammates. Its a subtle distinction about style, not the individual. Not sure the journos all get that. If for 4 years you've had it banged into your head "play the ball to my feet here", you'll continue to do that even when playing with a target man.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about that Austrian CB Spendlhofer? who was rumoured about a month ago
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 02-20-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point this is almost laughable, last night made me mad, willing to give the benefit of the doubt, BUT at this point, management seems to be DEFINITELY working by the seat of their pants . They had the whole offseason to plan, including formulating what may and what may not happen with players / contracts, etc, , and we are dealing with this last minute/ desperation crap.
    Last edited by azorean; 02-20-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    What about that Austrian CB Spendlhofer? who was rumoured about a month ago
    That rumor died after Ciman was signed.

He's a free agent in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly not worth the money to keep our talisman and main attacking threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I would still like to know wtf TFC was doing down in Mexico last week. I still think we need another winger, and rb on top of Menendez and Poz.
    A striker and a CB wouldn’t go amiss, either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly not worth the money to keep our talisman and main attacking threat.

He wanted more money then TFC thought he was worth paying and worth risking tieing down a DP slot for.

More to the point, I think it could be said that Seba was beginning to stifle our ability to adapt. Moving forward, I'd like to see players who can be more pragmatic about style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wanted more money then TFC thought he was worth paying and worth risking tieing down a DP slot for.

More to the point, I think it could be said that Seba was beginning to stifle our ability to adapt. Moving forward, I'd like to see players who can be more pragmatic about style.
    Ok, enough of this, Seba followed the money, YES, BUT 'stifle our ability' , come on now, Did you watch last night?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    Ok, enough of this, Seba followed the money, YES, BUT 'stifle our ability' , come on now, Did you watch last night?
    Ability to adapt.

We've been talking about it off and on for the last 4 years.

"Seba has to be played in a 2 man front. "
    "Seba without a decent partner is not as good."
    "Seba ain't going to track back if he plays out wide."
    "Seba is demanding about where he wants the ball played and when."

The team was very much morphed around how he could best succeed - which made sense given he was by far the best player & arguably the best in MLS of all time. But in his four years here, did we ever play differently then what best helped Seba succeed? Did we ever adapt well to his absences? Did we figure out a way to make Altidore work on his own? Did we figure out things when a team stifled Seba? No

We were crud last night offensively without him.

And a large part of that is we tried to play like the lone striker was his ghost.

I look forward to us getting an AM who goes "none of that shit....you're here...you like to play like this...here's a pass to you in a way that helps you succeed" It should unlock a lot of latent talent in our attacking group. Or it will get them found out as not good enough.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-20-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozeulo transfer I can forgive going this long because I truly believe that management didn't expect Seba to leave & Genk being difficult but every other piece of business should have been sorted out by now. How have we not secured a TAM target yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ability to adapt.

We've been talking about it off and on for the last 4 years.

"Seba has to be played in a 2 man front. "
    "Seba without a decent partner is not as good."
    "Seba ain't going to track back if he plays out wide."
    "Seba is demanding about where he wants the ball played and when."
    Fair enough, true, but what I was trying to say, regardless of all, he is / was a difference maker. End of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Pozeulo transfer I can forgive going this long because I truly believe that management didn't expect Seba to leave & Genk being difficult but every other piece of business should have been sorted out by now. How have we not secured a TAM target yet?
    Exactly, and I was / am willing to give the
    Benefit of the doubt. But that is what management is paid $$ for, to foresee, plan, this is multimillions in play here, come on, they have to be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I believe they haven’t signed anyone with TAM money yet because they need to sign a DP first. Lets say Pozuelo is option 1 and a winger might be option two with the DP money then you build around the DP signing with TAM money.

If they get Pozuelo they will announce Menendez or someone like that with TAM money.

If they fail on POzuelo maybe they have a target on the wing and then announce an AM with TAM Money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I believe they haven’t signed anyone with TAM money yet because they need to sign a DP first. Lets say Pozuelo is option 1 and a winger might be option two with the DP money then you build around the DP signing with TAM money.

If they get Pozuelo they will announce Menendez or someone like that with TAM money.

If they fail on POzuelo maybe they have a target on the wing and then announce an AM with TAM Money.
    Yeah, true, big picture. Hopefully they figure this out, and make all pieces fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think after that performance from Ciman we really need another CB. Someone in the mold of Miguel Aceval.