Page 148 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,440 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, a number of pages back I asked about the state of BMO field for the match on the 26th. No one on these boards bothered to say anything. Yet, this is an issue that seems to come back anytime we have elite players leaving. So, what are those players who will take to the field then supposed to think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a wee bit of a Effed up situation to say the least

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    There is nobody coming. This team is a shit show disaster. Bez, VV, VDV, now Giovinco. All gone! A company worth hundreds of millions would not spring an extra 3 million for the player who brought them championships. That's how players of good quality view TFC now. It's a fucken mess is what it is. Leafs and Raptors both doing really well, no need for a smoke and mirrors distraction by investing in TFC. That's what i think. No chance at replacing the talent we just lost.
    2 weeks. Almost 50 pages of speculation on this board, and I think I am more right now than I was then. That's horrible!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    That's a bit of a stretch, wouldn't you say?
    Seriously who will we beat ? We were outplayed last year and now we’re improved ? Yup dieing to watch the excitement of what ? trying to defend until we lose 1 nil ......nice to see mgmt learning on the job .....and me paying more for my tickets ...rather have a Canadian who understands TO sports market than these jokers , if I’m going to pay for learning on the job . We’re being had . Plan B plan C ....in what business would they last . Those expensive seats are going to look great on tv .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djcuse View Post
    Jonathan Menendez is off the table.
    Do you think Independiente did this on purpose to throw TFC off their game. Occupied all our time on getting in a player we were never going to get and make sure we get no reinforcements?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do feel like a team destined to start 1-8-1 or something.

Although I always remember the Leicester miracle season. Nobody in football history had a worse offseason than they did they summer before that. So you really never know.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Funny, a number of pages back I asked about the state of BMO field for the match on the 26th. No one on these boards bothered to say anything. Yet, this is an issue that seems to come back anytime we have elite players leaving. So, what are those players who will take to the field then supposed to think?
    This board is not a monolith. Different times, different people, different opinions, different theories. The theory about players leaving because of the pitch is a fairly new one. But the pitch has often been a hot topic the last two years. Well, actually, most years.

Supposedly this year they did everything new & great & better, we'll see. New subsurface systems, new grass, more grow lights, plus the heavy winter tarp (however we already had that tarp at least one winter previously). Of course we've heard in other years that everything was going to be new and great and perfect. And the hybrid stichting won't go in until a bit later in the season, hopefully the pitch isn't already destroyed by then. We shall see, I guess.

For more details, there's the BMO Field Pitch thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We do feel like a team destined to start 1-8-1 or something.

Although I always remember the Leicester miracle season. Nobody in football history had a worse offseason than they did they summer before that. So you really never know.
    as of today BET 365 has TFC in fourth place in the East

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who missed it, here's the Mariner scouting report on Pozuelo from today:
    https://streamable.com/htn4e

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    A lot of what Genk has been doing seems PR related. Their stance about not being a club about money is a prime example of posturing. I've felt everything is to save face. Like what would supporters think if you're best player was allowed to be sold outside your window to a club in a league that they regard as shit? This is like if we sold Seba to the Saudi club in late August of 2017 while we were on our run to the treble.

Hello, thanks for accepting me. I promise I will keep it polite ;-). I've read the discussion about Pozuelo here and I would like to help you gain insight from our perspective.

Pozo has always said he wants to go for the bigger money, so there was no surprise from me that when Al Alhli with a bag of money he doubted. Genk convinced him to stay and they made a (financial) agreement. This contract was never signed but the addendum to the contract was negotiated trough mail (with a releasedate 16/06 mentioned). In Belgian law a verbal agreement or an agreement trough mail is binding, no signature needed. I haven't read the emails but according to the Genk-management there was an agreement made trough mail. The press conference where he says he is staying untill the end of the season is another element Genk could use in court (as it comes to that).

If they wanted to dispute the fact there was an agreement on staying in court Pozuelo's management made a (big) error by posting a personal statement where he says on paper that there was an agreement. He (read the manager) says now he was pressurized by Genk to stay, something that is hard to prove and really unlikely if you know our management. And any judge seeing his interviews in the press after the announcement will conclude that is not the case (he says he is happy here, his wife told him to stay, he wants to help the team etc etc).

Just before they want to finalise (sign) the addendum to the contract Toronto popped in the picture. Most likely his manager who smelled money saw an opportunity. Now he wants to leave, for Genk and us as Genkfans this is a very difficult situation, we are currently in a very good position to win the league and in the middle of a series of very important games. If he leaves now we don't have the opportunity to replace him as our transferwindow is closed.

Our club has always been very fair and correct to our players, even now they are not vilifying the player but leaving the door open for a stay.

Genk believes their case is solid and all lawyers consulted in the press agree that Genk will probably will win if it comes to court. Henceforth, I think a normal buy-out is not possible. I think that Pozuelo has two options, the first one is to stay, the other one is to use the law of '78. The last law gives players the chance to break their contract if they pay the remaining of their contract to the club. But it doesn't make them a free player, so Pozuelo can't play untill september. Furthermore appearantly your league doesn't permit players who do that. If he breaks his contract China could be a way out, that arrangement doesn't count there I've been told, but that's not what he wants. Personally I think a transfer of Pozuelo before the end of our competition is of the table, maybe an agreement that he signs on the last day of your transfermarket, then there are only three more games to go in our competition.

Personally I think Pozuelo is influenced by a greedy manager who just wants the deal done, the player Pozuelo isn't unhappy in Genk as proved yesterday. I also believes he wants to come to Toronto and securing his future, but the timing isn't right. And really Genk is not a club run by villains, we are concidered just the opposite of that in Belgium. I hope that he gets his transfer to you guys in june (if that is possible).

To end I would like to add that Chris Mavinga is a hero in Genk, he helped us get our last title.
    Last edited by genkfan; 02-15-2019 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belgian press just stated that your club won't push for a transfer as his contract seems waterproof. Belgium press says your club wants to keep their good reputation, which we applaud ofcourse :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genkfan View Post
    Belgian press just stated that your club won't push for a transfer as his contract seems waterproof. Belgium press says your club wants to keep their good reputation, which we applaud ofcourse :-)
    I tried to find any new info and all I could find were articles in the Dutch papers talking about how he totally changed the game when he came in versus Slavia Prague and how he's indispensable to Genk.

So if you're saying that Toronto is now backing off, then it seems like the transfer really isn't going to happen now. Maybe it will in the summer.

Which means we're in a real crunch to find someone else useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I tried to find any new info and all I could find were articles in the Dutch papers talking about how he totally changed the game when he came in versus Slavia Prague and how he's indispensable to Genk.

So if you're saying that Toronto is now backing off, then it seems like the transfer really isn't going to happen now. Maybe it will in the summer.

Which means we're in a real crunch to find someone else useful.
    https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/bel...uelo~a95a1b59/

This is a Belgian newspaper which is well informed as it comes to our club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What MLS free agents are out there that can plug the hole VV left or who can TFC trade for? I'm sure Pozuelo only arrives in the summer window.
    Last edited by kuku; 02-15-2019 at 07:03 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you genkfan for explaining things to us.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-15-2019 at 07:30 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers, if you're ever in Toronto, let me know. First round's on me.

This is obviously great news for you and the Genk hopes of UCL but leaves us in a bind - have any flyers on your Club Brugge counterpart we can take?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sat in the first row right behind our bench on our last home game against Montreal. When Seba was came off he was absolutely livid, and literally screamed at all of the staff on the bench for several minutes. I can't help but think that this was definitely a factor in his decision to look elsewhere.

The pitch is the reason. Bad decisions on grounds care/maintenance , bad luck, the effing ground share.

It was so atrocious that he couldn’t enjoy the football, couldn’t get better - it caused him to investigate leaving.

The ground share especially- these elite players cannot accept it.

That is the reason VV left. The effing Argos. Ruining everything like we knew they would. We’ll hear about it someday.

*end ensco theory*
    Last edited by DeRo2015; 02-15-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pitch is the reason. Bad decisions on grounds care/maintenance , bad luck, the effing ground share.

It was so atrocious that he couldn’t enjoy the football, couldn’t get better - it caused him to investigate leaving.

The ground share especially- these elite players cannot accept it.

That is the reason VV left. The effing Argos. Ruining everything like we knew they would. We’ll hear about it someday.

*end ensco theory*
    Valeri, Martinez, Almiron and Lodiero play(ed) on plastic. Villa played on a converted, patchy baseball field. If you're in MLS then playing on shitty pitches is part of the game. In Giovinco's case I'm not sure he went to a place with a pitch up to his standards either but if the money is what he wanted he'd probably play on green spray painted asphalt and smile the whole time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To end I would like to add that Chris Mavinga is a hero in Genk, he helped us get our last title.
    Also not Pozo related but is Gent likely to sell Jonathan David in the next few years and how much do you think they'll get for David

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay it's been long enough, this off season has been a complete disaster.

Michael Bradley has been quoted saying he is excited we lost Vasquez and Giovinco and thinks our team will be younger and more dynamic as a result of this happening? Ali Curtis has been quoted saying he didn't expect to lose Vasquez and Giovinco.... Aren't you and your buddy Manning the clowns that sold them?

Speaking of Manning, I remember him first saying Toronto FC need to be cheap because we didn't make the playoffs (yet we made 3 cup finals in 3 years (won 1, lost 2 in PKs) along with another 3 Canadian Championship victories). And then because all hell broke loose he was quoted when he lied and said he has a big name DP coming up and we're bringing in players. They're all lies trying to cover up the mess that ML$E has created

The fact remains we lost Giovinco, Vasquez, Van Der Wiel, Hagglund, Ricketts and Irwin
    We gained Boyd, DeLeon and Ciman

That is incredibly disappointing and we lost a major portion of our fan base as a result of this off-season. Giovinco all you had to do was pay the man a couple more million, but ML$E was too cheap. Vasquez we signed to an extended contract in March 2018, yet all of a sudden we were forced to sell him? What are you talking about, he had every intention of staying, but we sold him for a couple million bucks because ML$E is cheap

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I am glad we heard it's over for the moment from a Genk supporter. Easier to find out that way, than just find out via googling, after that mouthwatering performance yesterday....

I feel like this has to happen, either on the last day of our window on May 7 (thank you for that idea/insight Genkfan) or in the summer. Honour demands that.

MLS cannot just wander across the ocean and disrupt league title races like this and walk away.

Pozo is our man, and we will wait for him. (Good luck Genkfan, I will root for you in Europa CL. Go Genk!)
    Last edited by ensco; 02-15-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    Okay it's been long enough, this off season has been a complete disaster.

Michael Bradley has been quoted saying he is excited we lost Vasquez and Giovinco and thinks our team will be younger and more dynamic as a result of this happening? Ali Curtis has been quoted saying he didn't expect to lose Vasquez and Giovinco.... Aren't you and your buddy Manning the clowns that sold them?

Speaking of Manning, I remember him first saying Toronto FC need to be cheap because we didn't make the playoffs (yet we made 3 cup finals in 3 years (won 1, lost 2 in PKs) along with another 3 Canadian Championship victories). And then because all hell broke loose he was quoted when he lied and said he has a big name DP coming up and we're bringing in players. They're all lies trying to cover up the mess that ML$E has created

The fact remains we lost Giovinco, Vasquez, Van Der Wiel, Hagglund, Ricketts and Irwin
    We gained Boyd, DeLeon and Ciman

That is incredibly disappointing and we lost a major portion of our fan base as a result of this off-season. Giovinco all you had to do was pay the man a couple more million, but ML$E was too cheap. Vasquez we signed to an extended contract in March 2018, yet all of a sudden we were forced to sell him? What are you talking about, he had every intention of staying, but we sold him for a couple million bucks because ML$E is cheap
    I would rather have Pozuelo at less money than Giovinco for say the next 3 years while one (Poz) is trending up and the other has been declining. They dont need to replace Giovinco with other striker as they are moving to a different formation and style of play. They do need to sign a winger.

The off-season isn’t over. They could announce Pozuelo today for all we know (unlikely) but still. I would be willing to wait until June for Pozuelo but if the front office isn’t willing to wait maybe they will sign Hanni who is a similar player and then use the DP money on a winger.

Vasquez played what 35% of the time last year? It’s not a huge loss. I would 100% rather have a more durable Hanni or Pozuelo.

Hagglund was awful last year, probably as bad as Zavaleta but he got less hate because he isn’t the nephew.

Losing Ricketts? Good he was awful last year.

Irwin? Who cares about a backup goalkeeper.

Ciman is going to be huge for the team this year.

Deleon has looked amazing in preseason as a winger, maybe he will flourish in that role and Boyd was a low risk high ceiling signing.

Lets remain positive and see what happens in the next couple of weeks and even into June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I am glad we heard it's over for now from a Genk supporter. Easier to find out that way, than just find out via googling, after that mouthwatering performance yesterday....

I feel like this has to happen, either on the last day of our window (thank you for that insight Genkfan) or in the summer. Honour demands that.

MLS cannot just wander across the ocean and disrupt league title races like this and walk away.

Pozo is our man, and we will wait for him. (Good luck Genkfan, I will root for you in Europa CL. Go Genk!)
    I actually doubt that Pozuelo is still our man. Like many have said If it is wait till July or reinforce now, I want now reinforcements. Pozuelo is good but he is not alone at his level. We will have other targets. Some one out there has a buyout clause and no enforceable verbal contract to remain with their team until June. We will find some one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    This board is not a monolith. Different times, different people, different opinions, different theories. The theory about players leaving because of the pitch is a fairly new one. But the pitch has often been a hot topic the last two years. Well, actually, most years.

Supposedly this year they did everything new & great & better, we'll see. New subsurface systems, new grass, more grow lights, plus the heavy winter tarp (however we already had that tarp at least one winter previously). Of course we've heard in other years that everything was going to be new and great and perfect. And the hybrid stichting won't go in until a bit later in the season, hopefully the pitch isn't already destroyed by then. We shall see, I guess.

For more details, there's the BMO Field Pitch thread!
    YUP, seems to have come alive following my initial post on the topic, though details of any kind remain sparse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Valeri, Martinez, Almiron and Lodiero play(ed) on plastic. Villa played on a converted, patchy baseball field. If you're in MLS then playing on shitty pitches is part of the game. In Giovinco's case I'm not sure he went to a place with a pitch up to his standards either but if the money is what he wanted he'd probably play on green spray painted asphalt and smile the whole time.
    Plus, they had already announced last year that they were putting in hybrid this year. He clearly knew that. So I don't think that can be used as an excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    ... maybe they will sign Hanni who is a similar player and then use the DP money on a winger...
    Lets remain positive and see what happens in the next couple of weeks and even into June.
    Hanni is a DP salary level player, especially if we have to pay his buyout. He is currently on about 1.5 million euros per season, with about an 8-10 million euro transfer. He is one year into a three year and a half year deal.

If he is not in spartaks plans then I think we can probably arrange the buyout and get him. I would rather have choice number 2 now than wait 5 months for choice number one. Especially if number 2 is almost as good. Last year Hanni was getting looks from the prem so I doubt he lacks the quality to be top drawer in MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will wager anyone a pint Pozo comes.

Think maybe we need a Manning evaluation thread ... it is complicated. I really like what I saw of this player, but jeez what a royal process screwup

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember we won the offseason in 2014 & 2015 - I also remember how those seasons finished.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will wager anyone a pint Pozo comes.

Think maybe we need a Manning evaluation thread ... it is complicated. I really like what I saw of this player, but jeez what a royal process screwup
    I agree and I think that's reflected in Curtis' comments about planning for the next few years and not right now. I now it triggers a lot of people on here to hear that but doing the "now" thing was what made us the worst team in the world for almost a decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also look at the east. Atlanta lost their best player. They may have replaced him but there are still questions. NYCFC are rebuilding. DC looks good but may have a disgruntled player and Rooney is a year older and of questionable sobriety. The other teams are pretty average. We can hang around until May when Genk will likely have clinched their league title and will be ready to release him.