Page 36 of 191 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't know what happened between Ottawa and Montreal.

CPL doesn't want any MLS II teams, so they'll leave TFC II alone.
    Well with Ottawa the issue wasn't the Canadian federation or American federation. Both were fine with Ottawa in usl. It was concacaf who had the issue with them playing out of country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Well with Ottawa the issue wasn't the Canadian federation or American federation. Both were fine with Ottawa in usl. It was concacaf who had the issue with them playing out of country.
    Concacaf which is co-incidentally run by the former head of the CSA hence the implied conflict of interest that VM was trying to do the CanPL a solid.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SMDH

People hating on the guy who played an MLS cup final and scored - all while with a broken foot that wasn't operated on until 6 months later.

He got his ankle stepped on in Jersey. Full crunch that should have been at least a yellow but wasn't even a freaking foul.

Broke his ankle that he played on for 10 minutes but hey.....lets just hate on him as against anybody actually taking on the NYRB guy who did this.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I haven’t watched but Joe Kool has a very important point. I am not convinced that this has been going on for a long time, but either way, Manning describing Ali Curtis as the only person on his and Vanney’s list, and that each list had one name... that sounds like someone describing election results in North Korea.
    Every president in every sport has a backup GM on their list and every GM has a backup coach ready to call. This isn't unusual at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    SMDH

People hating on the guy who played an MLS cup final and scored - all while with a broken foot that wasn't operated on until 6 months later.

He got his ankle stepped on in Jersey. Full crunch that should have been at least a yellow but wasn't even a freaking foul.

Broke his ankle that he played on for 10 minutes but hey.....lets just hate on him as against anybody actually taking on the NYRB guy who did this.
    Go off!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely agree with Oldtimer. Especially after a year like last year. But a management team always needs to be planning for various options.

Listening to the interviews it’s clear that this is all very new and so Curtis didn’t have much to elaborate on. Furthermore his style may just be to keep his cards close to his chest. I don’t see any issues with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    "This guy" won you an MLS Cup. Have a little respect for the first true legend this club has.
    I don't base my perception of a player off one moment. Otherwise I'd hate Morrow and Delgado.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without Altidore we didn't do what we did in 2017. It's that simple. However, he hasn't been physically capable of playing 75% of a seasons matches in his 20's and is more likely to be 50/50 on managing half a season's worth of matches going forward.

He will go down in TFC history as the most clutch player we've ever had and we will miss that but after 2019 we will need a player you can count on to play in at least 25 matches per season as a DP forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Every president in every sport has a backup GM on their list and every GM has a backup coach ready to call. This isn't unusual at all.
    I don’t think you are following the point.

If I understand this correctly, Manning claimed that he and Vanney independently developed/had backup lists (your point, quite credible), that each had only only name (not credible- what if Curtis said no?) and that they both had only Curtis' name (pretty close to absurd)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I don't base my perception of a player off one moment. Otherwise I'd hate Morrow and Delgado.
    portu, you post some good stuff, and you challenge the status quo, which is great... but this is the second or third time you are making this point, without defending it. It's hardly “one moment”

Here is about seven key playoff goals Jozy scored/created in 2016 and 2017. This doesn’t include the two or three critical goals he got in CCL in 2018. Most of these scored injured, as pointed out.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1857235

Just because the guy gets hurt (Seba has the same problem btw), it doesn’t change the facts around what he did
    Last edited by ensco; 01-04-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Just watched the presser. The things that makes me somewhat uncomfortable is the speed at which this was done. The fact that Bez leaving came up one week and a new guy was basically hired a week later is too fast for me for such an important decision. And why was Ali out of work for a year and a half...finding himself while holding out for another management position? Then all of a sudden interviewed and hired in less than a week. Just odd to me. For my job I am in a management position and work with upper management and senior execs, VP's and presidents of companies all the time so you see a lot of the damage control type of stuff and fluff talk/spin that exec's use when dealing with crisis situations. This press conference sounded like a whole lot of that and everyone sticking to the script. Vanney did not look too thrilled but said what he had to as any employee would dealing with an upper management change that may affect his job. Bill is saying they only had one guy on their list and it was the same guy. Not likely but that makes it sound good to make everyone more comfortable with their rush decision and it seemed to work based on reading some comments by people. I hope it works out for us in the end of course but proof will be in the pudding as they say. All we can do is wait and watch to see what happens.
    Perhaps by choice, people do that, and I believe this is not the "All of a sudden" that we are reading, stuff like this happens over at least a few weeks if not a few months, even getting fired is a few week process, just a thought

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tenorio interviewed Curtis in early December.

Article now out in the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/748458/2019/...ting-director/

Take aways

Curtis was interviewed a number of times for MLS jobs.

He is going to go deep on the academy development side.

He is going to take the time to learn about people.

Something never mentionned in the coverage of the hire but obliquiely pointed out in the interview - the guy is black. In Toronto, the lack of notice of that means something more then the noticing of that. But it would be a factor in hiring around MLS - MLS management above assistant coaching is pretty darn white.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-04-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Tenorio interviewed Curtis in early December.

Article now out in the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/748458/2019/...ting-director/

Take aways

Curtis was interviewed a number of times for MLS jobs.

He is going to go deep on the academy development side.

He is going to take the time to learn about people.

Something never mentionned in the coverage of the hire but obliquiely pointed out in the interview - the guy is black. In Toronto, the lack of notice of that means something more then the noticing of that. But it would be a factor in hiring around MLS - MLS management above assistant coaching is pretty darn white.
    I’m with you on this. I’m fairly positive about this hire and I really don’t see any indication bringing Curtis in automatically means we’re moving to a lower budget model.

Things will change but i think the change is needed. The stuff this guy is talking about fixing or has been good at are things this club hasn’t been able to do well in the past despite its success. His hit rate on signings looks as good or better than what we’ve managed to do

Being a big club means not suffering from nostalgia and looking forward to our next big win. The championship season was great but you can never go back. My personal preference would be for a major overhaul at the end of this year. And doesn’t mean we’re automatically ungrateful for what was won but in my mind it’s time to move on come 2020.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy who has had the success he has with the NYRB academy and player development plus our resources should be exciting to everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I understand this correctly, Manning claimed that he and Vanney independently developed/had backup lists (your point, quite credible), that each had only only name (not credible- what if Curtis said no?) and that they both had only Curtis' name (pretty close to absurd)
    I’d say much of this is about cheap talking points in the press rather than reality. We expect too much in terms of transparency. You’re never going to get the straight story about a hiring process out in the open. Nothing to gain, much to lose.

Could I believe Curtis is their guy or near the top of the list? Sure. The only candidate even discussed? Not a chance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’d say much of this is about cheap talking points in the press rather than reality. We expect too much in terms of transparency. You’re never going to get the straight story about a hiring process out in the open. Nothing to gain, much to lose.

Could I believe Curtis is their guy or near the top of the list? Sure. The only candidate even discussed? Not a chance.
    Sure. I just don’t like Manning making Vanney parrot this line, implicitly or otherwise. It’s not the right look and is the sort of thing that can have water cooler ripple effects in an organization. Better to just say that he consulted Greg, and they reached agree,ent together or similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They discussed promoting Asst GM Corey Wray

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switching gears, former Portugal international Miguel Veloso is reportedly drawing interest from several MLS teams. Recently re-joined Genoa but apparently wants to leave. Probably a contract termination. I know there's already a bit of a logjam in the middle, but he can play box-to-box, holding mid, and left-back, which could be useful. Accurate left foot. Cheyrou-type guy but slightly more versatile and with a bit more engine (at least in the past...).
    Last edited by Bobo; 01-04-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That statment makes your perception even more shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rewatched Manning’s interview with K.J. Manning said it was his top choice. He said he was “one of Vanney’s top choices”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    They discussed promoting Asst GM Corey Wray
    Thought this was who was going to get the GM role when I heard the news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    That statment makes your perception even more shocking.
    That's fair to believe. I'm not going to go back and forth on this because I don't want another thread filled with rehashed Jozy debate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Switching gears, former Portugal international Miguel Veloso is reportedly drawing interest from several MLS teams. Recently re-joined Genoa but apparently wants to leave. Probably a contract termination. I know there's already a bit of a logjam in the middle, but he can play box-to-box, holding mid, and left-back, which could be useful. Accurate left foot. Cheyrou-type guy but slightly more versatile and with a bit more engine (at least in the past...).
    I don't see us in for a soon to be 33 year old midfielder. Even with the 'win now' season in full effect, I still expect there to be some thoughts about the future going forward, especially with Curtis. Also, I doubt we have a ton of cap space floating about. I could see more loan action happening though with options to buy in the start of the rebuild in 2020.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That they both had lists? Absolutely. That Curtis was on both their lists? Highly likely. MLS is a small enough environment that people, especially in management, know each other. That he was the only name? I agree with you, not credible at all.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Rewatched Manning’s interview with K.J. Manning said it was his top choice. He said he was “one of Vanney’s top choices”.
    That's credible. He's certainly Manning's guy, and if Bez had another bad season or two he could have easily picked up the phone and called him. Vanney knows him from way back from his league f.o. role. so while I am sure he didn't want a change, someone who he knows and has a similar football philosophy is better than many other potential people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s something about Curtis’ story that bothers me.

Why have so few 2015-2017 era NYRB players/colleagues spoken out for him after leaving NYRB? Turnover in MLS is high, a lot of the people involved could in theory say something about him. (Maybe I have missed instances of that occurring...)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why have so few 2015-2017 era NYRB players/colleagues spoken out for him after leaving NYRB? Turnover in MLS is high, a lot of the people involved could in theory say something about him. (Maybe I have missed instances of that occurring...)
    While I can think of the occasional case of a coach getting fired that a few players speak up for him (Robbo being a recent example), I've never seen that for a GM. You work closely with a coach as a player, not with a GM. In fact I can't recall players speaking out for a GM in any sport. It's probably happened, I just don't recall it.

I know us long time supporters are conditioned by a decade of poor decisions, but let's give the man some benefit of the doubt. I don't think 2019 will be a good test because the team is mostly set. However 2020 with all those contracts expiring will be a watershed year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a small league and the single entity thing makes it unwise to be too critical of anyone in upper management roles or come out picking sides in a power struggle like that. That kind of stuff can bite a player in the ass later on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having gone though a prolonged period of not working myself I’m sympathetic. People have some crazy assumptions baked into their head or get nervous about why you haven’t previously found a new job. Everyone wants a safe hire, because if it fails you can point to a resume and say everything checked out, how could you have possibly known the philandering, thief, with transparently lazy work habits would be a poor fit?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait for this guys contract to run out.
    Agreed , on again off again .....tin man .....it takes a team to be long term successful....you want to like him but we need consistency and he isn’t a great fit to Seba .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Agreed , on again off again .....tin man .....it takes a team to be long term successful....you want to like him but we need consistency and he isn’t a great fit to Seba .
    jozy isnt a fit for seba ..really