Page 61 of 191 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    So basically, although you have a list of prior infractions and press clippings tar-and-feathering you, you decide it’s wise to again throw your name into the mixer because the stars above you could be on the way out? Sounds like a formula to go from being a successful footballer to working at Denny’s.

Going to this team was this guy’s chance to put a stop to the downfall in his career. He’s on thin ice here a mile out to sea in late springtime. Doubt jumping up-and-down is a winning strategy.
    vdW's rap sheet isn’t serious. Frankly the big thing is that he lost millions in investments. He is definitely not bringing the potato salad to the Mensa picnic, that's for sure. But I'll bet he has real football options at or above his TFC pay check.

I suspect the party with the black eye in world football from all this will be TFC, and vdW is proving it to us.

The players are the game. There must be respect.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-24-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    vdW's rap sheet isn’t serious. frankly the big thing is that he lost millions in investments. He is definitely not bringing the potato salad to the Mensa picnic, that's for sure.

But I suspect the party with the black eye in world football will be TFC, and vdW is proving it to us.

The players are the game. There must be respect.
    If this were a run of the mill guy, maybe. VDW? No.

This is not the first time he has publicly got into it with a coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Just curious as to whom you have in mind? It is obvious you have suspicions.
    I just said "I'd be wary." I don't have any great insight. It's just easy to pick out one guy as a scapegoat. Obviously vdW is very outspoken and didn't handle this well, but I'm worried there many be more issues. In fact, if the locker room was very harmonious last year, that would also worry me a bit considering what a crap season it was.

I can't remember, was it on this board or elsewhere, I thought somebody had said a few months ago that vdW was in fact a positive influence and well respected, at least by some? I don't have any time right now, but I'll try to do a more careful search of older board postings tonight.

Based on watching things for a few years, I'm just a bit worried about some of the dynamics, including the coach; the DPs incl. the captain; some of the guys who've come in, out, or stayed, incl. contract status. But I don't have time right now to write a thesis that nobody will read. We shall see!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vdW will be signed somewhere within a week. He really should go to Qatar or similar, will make more dough, people know his name. When I said I didn’t believe that VV could get a massive pay check there, this is who I cited as a guy who could. Started a WC final. All those years at PSG. vdW can shake the middle eastern money tree for sure.
    Okay so last week it was Qatar owners aren't stupid and would never pay big bucks to a guy like Vasquez but now they'll open the vault for a guy who couldn't crack the line up at Cagliari and was far from sensational on a MLS team and got tossed because of more attitude problems? Why because he played at PSG and for Holland? PSG was long ago and so was the WC. VDW hasn't been that guy for years and years. The only consistent thing from his time at the Ajax academy to today is his shit attitude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this were a run of the mill guy, maybe. VDW? No.

This is not the first time he has publicly got into it with a coach.
    There was the one thing at the end with PSG where Ibra attacked him for not passing the ball to him at halftime of a 5-0 game. vdW told Ibra to eff off and walked out of the room and didn’t come back. Laurent Blanc fined him. Ibra is a legendary dick. I bet 80% of the PSG players bought him beers afterwards. Maybe Blanc did too.

If anyone knows of anything else, chime in, but I don't think it's enough to hurt his brand.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Okay so last week it was Qatar owners aren't stupid and would never pay big bucks to a guy like Vasquez but now they'll open the vault for a guy who couldn't crack the line up at Cagliari and was far from sensational on a MLS team and got tossed because of more attitude problems?.
    This is childish. Cmon. The world maybe doesn’t work the way you (or I) think it should.

Look at who gets paid in Qatar, China etc. It's recognizable players from big leagues and World Cups. Vazquez doesn’t tick those boxes, vdW does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The brand that's being hurt the most is TFC. These guys have huge circles in Europe.

This is taking me back to the pre-Bez era...didnt we pay our dues with 8+ years of shit shows. What did we do to deserve this again..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was the one thing at the end with PSG where Ibra attacked him for not passing the ball to him at halftime of a 5-0 game. vdW told Ibra to eff off and walked out of the room and didn’t come back. Laurent Blanc fined him. Ibra is a legendary dick. I bet 80% of the PSG players bought him beers afterwards. Maybe Blanc did too.

If anyone knows of anything else, chime in, but I don't think it's enough to hurt his brand.
    @GalindoPW
    Oh, Gregory van der Wiel was disrespectful to a coach? Colour me surprised. #TFC

@GalindoPW
    One reason why van der Wiel never reached his full potential is his poor behaviour. Clashed with Dick Advocaat at Fenerbahce, fought PSG players, etc. Something worth monitoring when he’s in Toronto.

While I can’t find any reference. There was some relative bemusement from Turkish fans at this signing. Maybe someone can dig further on this, but in my estimation it seemed to amount to “you bought damaged goods”
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-24-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VDW saying TFC couldn't handle his winning attitude is a load of shit.

He came to a championship team with Bradley on it. Get the fuck out of here.

Mavinga should be on thin ice too.

Also I'm really sick of Gio and Altidore contract complaining. In North America your contracts get played out when the team doubts your abilities, so shut up and get to work on the pitch and prove you deserve that 8M per year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't have a season like we just did, not fire your coach, and expect players to not be pissed off. That's where this really starts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@GalindoPW
    Oh, Gregory van der Wiel was disrespectful to a coach? Colour me surprised. #TFC

@GalindoPW
    One reason why van der Wiel never reached his full potential is his poor behaviour. Clashed with Dick Advocaat at Fenerbahce, fought PSG players, etc. Something worth monitoring when he’s in Toronto.

While I can’t find any reference. There was some relative bemusement from Turkish fans at this signing. Maybe someone can dig further on this, but it seem to amount to “you bought damaged goods”
    OK assuming that checks out you have a point. I didn’t know about the Advocaat thing.

I'll still wager you a pint he's settled quickly somewhere else, at or above his TFC wage.

I'll also wager this is hurting us at least a little. Footballers won’t be on our side.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeesh, go away for a day and a half and all heck breaks loose. For all the speculation, it's still too soon to consider the ramifications of the trades and blow-ups until at least half-way through the season. I guess it's time for Curtis to work his brand of magic. Seriously, TFC did well this off-season get to the top of the allocation order *twice*.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao this board is such a shitshow im living for it

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Lol.

All the drama here based 100% on pointless speculation. Let's wait until the season has started at least before we decide that the whole team is angry that Seba and Jozy haven't been extended yet, that Vanney has lost the room, that Curtis is an idiot, and TFC is back to the disfunctional TFC of old.

I realize that all of us who lived through 2007-2012 and the "worst team in the world" have severe PTSD, but let's take a collective breath.

The CCL is close to starting, MLS season not long after. We still have most of our winning team. Injuries are finally mostly recovered from (Jozy needs to work back up to fitness).

I'm excited about this season! We have a chance to do some serious damage this year and pick up more silverware.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could Julian Green be Toronto FC’s Allocation Target?

Just speculation. But, the move makes sense.

https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/1/...ansfer-rumours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post

This so does not make sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK assuming that checks out you have a point. I didn’t know about the Advocaat thing.

I'll still wager you a pint he's settled quickly somewhere else, at or above his TFC wage.

I'll also wager this is hurting us at least a little. Footballers won’t be on our side.
    The only TFC related players (last time I checked) wishing him well on his Instagram post, were Ciman, Mavinga, Endoh and Hassler.

Nobody else from the current squad wished him well. That would lead me to think we wasn't well liked by the rest of the squad. (Compare it to all the well wishes for Hagglund)
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 01-24-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The only TFC related players (last time I checked) wishing him well on his Instagram post, were Ciman, Mavinga, Endoh and Hassler.

Nobody else from the current squad wished him well. That would lead me to think we wasn't well liked by the rest of the squad.
    No, I'd say most players don’t want to get involved publicly after an incident like that. It's pretty shocking that any would, actually.

Either way, I meant in more in terms of our reputation in Europe for the next Vazquez or Mavinga or whomever. I am worried that this whole episode (in its entirety, not really the vdW bit which is a tawdry sideshow) doesn’t look good. I am much more bothered by Vazquez leaving so suddenly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That article says vfb Stuttgart are a German 2nd division team, they aren't, they are in the Bundesliga

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geoff Cameron, maybe ?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I'd say most players don’t want to get involved publicly after an incident like that. It's pretty shocking that any would, actually.

Either way, I meant in more in terms of our reputation in Europe for the next Vazquez or Mavinga or whomever. I am worried that this whole episode (in its entirety, not really the vdW bit which is a tawdry sideshow) doesn’t look good. I am much more bothered by Vazquez leaving so suddenly.
    I think you are reaching.

TFC attracted players from Europe when they were shit. They attached players from Europe when they were good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Blame Vanney? Nah I think that blaming any one person would be too simplistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Geoff Cameron, maybe ?
    He's on loan at QPR till the end of the season and there is zero suggestion QPR will allow an early termination given his contribution to them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I wouldn't read anything into those comments. Just seems like two guys wishing a fellow European well.
    This. I don't agree with everything my best friends do. Still love em tho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VDW was at best another reclamation project. A guy who should be in a better position but isn't for whatever reason (in his case because he is an idiot). I can't even blame Bez for it because you roll the dice and I am sure VDW said all the right things when being interviewed. The guy probably will get another football gig in an even shittier league and he will bomb out again because he has shown he can't learn from his mistakes or grow up.

As for the goodbye Tweets, these players (minus Ciman) were there last year and they saw him out there. They know he was loafer and not putting his all in. In fact if I were Mavinga I would have been more angry with him on the team because he was getting paid quite a bit more than me for floating around doing nothing. I'd feel the same if I were Auro, Delgado, Osorio (pre-new contract), Morrow, etc.

You want to talk about causing locker room unrest, one good way is by letting the "haves" that don't deserve what they're getting loaf around in front of the "have not" guys who were there for our 2017 trophies and gave their all every day to be in the squad and win. They can resent management too but they'd be sending cut eye lazy VDW's way first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    VDW was at best another reclamation project. A guy who should be in a better position but isn't for whatever reason (in his case because he is an idiot). I can't even blame Bez for it because you roll the dice and I am sure VDW said all the right things when being interviewed. The guy probably will get another football gig in an even shittier league and he will bomb out again because he has shown he can't learn from his mistakes or grow up.

As for the goodbye Tweets, these players (minus Ciman) were there last year and they saw him out there. They know he was loafer and not putting his all in. In fact if I were Mavinga I would have been more angry with him on the team because he was getting paid quite a bit more than me for floating around doing nothing. I'd feel the same if I were Auro, Delgado, Osorio (pre-new contract), Morrow, etc.

You want to talk about causing locker room unrest, one good way is by letting the "haves" that don't deserve what they're getting loaf around in front of the "have not" guys who were there for our 2017 trophies and gave their all every day to be in the squad and win. They can resent management too but they'd be sending cut eye lazy VDW's way first.

I could not agree more!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This so does not make sense
    I agree I hope we can do much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree I hope we can do much better.
    I wouldn't be against Jonathan De Guzman based on our win now mode. He's 31, in the last year of his deal and can play the AM position ahead of Bradley. He also said he wants to finish his career with Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the season is 3 weeks away....wtf is going on.