Page 147 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,410 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali said yesterday in an interview with KJ that they are looking long term and not to focus on 2019. Read between the lines. The moves aren’t done and this year is a write off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and the sky is falling again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UpTheReds View Post
    Ali said yesterday in an interview with KJ that they are looking long term and not to focus on 2019. Read between the lines. The moves aren’t done and this year is a write off.
    That's a bit of a stretch, wouldn't you say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time to take a break from this thread again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, this should of all been sorted out months ago...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone else in the conference has strengthened. We don’t have a no.10 and our second best striker is a guy who couldn’t clean the boots in the German second division. Maybe write off was a bit harsh because i’ll always support the club. If the squad stays as is I’m not expecting much. His comments don’t fill me with a lot of confidence that there is urgency in filling the spots this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by metaxa View Post
    Again, this should of all been sorted out months ago...
    Yes! We all knew that Seba was likely gone. The club gets a pass on Vazquez as that move seems to have come out of the blue. But scrambling like this after selling Seba is inexcusable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not get to watch but based on comments here and on Twitter I am 100000% willing to wait until May/June if that's what it takes to get Pozuelo.

We all know anyways it's not how you start in MLS, it's how you finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone else in the conference has strengthened. We don’t have a no.10 and our second best striker is a guy who couldn’t clean the boots in the German second division. Maybe write off was a bit harsh because i’ll always support the club. If the squad stays as is I’m not expecting much. His comments don’t fill me with a lot of confidence that there is urgency in filling the spots this season.
    Most of the East is retooling as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! We all knew that Seba was likely gone. The club gets a pass on Vazquez as that move seems to have come out of the blue. But scrambling like this after selling Seba is inexcusable.
    And we've still never gotten a good explanation, and likely none of the journalists will ask any tough questions about this: why was Vazquez happy to sign a multi-year extension on March 21, 2018; but then want to leave about 3/4 of a year later? What changed? How much of a surprise was it? Was it somehow related to Bez leaving; and/or related to uneasiness regarding Giovinco & Altidore; and/or because of a possible change in direction at the club; and/or something totally different? Anyone try to get a more in-depth interview with Victor after he left, beyond the short quotes put out by the club & on social media?

There are some good quotes here from last March, on TFC's own website:
    "I'm really happy," said Vazquez. "That's why I came, to be here as many years as possible. Last year was amazing for all of us and now I get the chance to re-sign. I'm really happy for my family and I."

"I want to be here as many years as possible," smiled Vazquez. "Maybe I can finish my career here."

"I feel like I'm at home in another place, another country," he continued. "I'm really comfortable. I hope I can re-sign again in a couple years. I still have many years to play; my family is happy here – that's most important for me, when they are happy, I'm happy."

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/0...t-home-toronto
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-14-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    our journos are jus brutal
    yes they are. it's become obvious they are just mouthpieces for MLSE
    a previous poster noted: 'they are nice guys" yes they are and that counts for something, they are very likable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I did not get to watch but based on comments here and on Twitter I am 100000% willing to wait until May/June if that's what it takes to get Pozuelo.

We all know anyways it's not how you start in MLS, it's how you finish.
    look at dc united record before Rooney and looked how they finished after he arrived

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To pre-empt some possible answers RE Vazquez:

"Well he was offered more money elsewhere now." Could be. We're just guessing, and nobody is really asking these questions. Why wasn't Vazquez offered more money elsewhere in March 2018? He was coming off a treble-winning season where he played a huge rule. Seems like that was the time to get a fatter contract elsewhere, if he had initially signed with TFC somewhat out of duress, to get out of Mexico. Instead he signed a long-term renewal with TFC.

2018 Vazquez had lots of injuries; didn't have such an effective season; but now he suddenly gets more money elsewhere?

My guess: it might have been a change of direction where the interests of the club and the player somewhat aligned. TFC might have realized, including DPs and big TAM contracts: too much money tied up in too few players. If we have a couple of injuries or other failures (Altidore; Vazquez; Aketxe; vdW) then the impact on the team is to large. Better to have TAM money spread over more players. (We shall eventually see if they go in that direction; and if it brings more success.)

Plus Vazquez was often injured, and the club was worried about his continued durability. Plus he was able to find more money elsewhere.

Long story short: if both the club & Vazquez started thinking like that in 2018, then they also could have planned ahead more. Not sitting 5 days before CCL starts, after key transfer windows have closed, with no replacement for Vazquez.

And/or were there other things bubbling up below the surface, that made Vazquez want to get out of here? Nobody knows.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-14-2019 at 08:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    And we've still never gotten a good explanation, and likely none of the journalists will ask any tough questions about this: why was Vazquez happy to sign a multi-year extension on March 21, 2018; but then want to leave about 3/4 of a year later? What changed?
    His pay cheque. (well that and there is a rumour he didn't pass his physical & the team in the Middle East would pay him as he rehabed) His leaving was unexpected.

Seba - that's on management for thinking they could get him to the summer without a counter offer coming in. That's not understanding how modern football works. Notice how they are quietly learning that lesson and applying it with Genk?

DP's have to be done right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we've still never gotten a good explanation, and likely none of the journalists will ask any tough questions about this: why was Vazquez happy to sign a multi-year extension on March 21, 2018; but then want to leave about 3/4 of a year later? What changed? How much of a surprise was it? Was it somehow related to Bez leaving; and/or related to uneasiness regarding Giovinco & Altidore; and/or because of a possible change in direction at the club; and/or something totally different? Anyone try to get a more in-depth interview with Victor after he left, beyond the short quotes put out by the club & on social media?

There are some good quotes here from last March, on TFC's own website:
    "I'm really happy," said Vazquez. "That's why I came, to be here as many years as possible. Last year was amazing for all of us and now I get the chance to re-sign. I'm really happy for my family and I."

"I want to be here as many years as possible," smiled Vazquez. "Maybe I can finish my career here."

"I feel like I'm at home in another place, another country," he continued. "I'm really comfortable. I hope I can re-sign again in a couple years. I still have many years to play; my family is happy here – that's most important for me, when they are happy, I'm happy."

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/0...t-home-toronto
    Yes. This all seemed unplanned and strange timing. Some hard questions should be asked.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    His pay cheque. (well that and there is a rumour he didn't pass his physical & the team in the Middle East would pay him as he rehabed) His leaving was unexpected.

Seba - that's on management for thinking they could get him to the summer without a counter offer coming in. That's not understanding how modern football works. Notice how they are quietly learning that lesson and applying it with Genk?

DP's have to be done right.
    Well that rumour is interesting. Where did you hear that? Seems like a good thing for a real journalist to get more details about. That would definitely change things.

His pay cheque? I still have trouble believing that was all. If yes, he could have gotten a better offer before March 2018, after an amazing trophy-winning season, with no obvious injuries, and a bit younger. If there was any question about that, why sign a multi-year extension? You're basically guessing, and nobody is really asking. There are other explanations that are just as feasible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that rumour is interesting. Where did you hear that? Seems like a good thing for a real journalist to get more details about. That would definitely change things.
    Kloke (people seriously should invest in the Athletic - much of the best MLS journalism is now on there)

There were serious doubts about the health of Victor Vazquez leading up to his transfer to Qatari club Al-Arabi, so much so that some have suggested he didn’t even pass his physical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article Molinaro wrote today based on his interview with Curtis said both VV and Seba leaving took them by surprise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pitch is the reason. Bad decisions on grounds care/maintenance , bad luck, the effing ground share.

It was so atrocious that he couldn’t enjoy the football, couldn’t get better - it caused him to investigate leaving.

The ground share especially- these elite players cannot accept it.

That is the reason VV left. The effing Argos. Ruining everything like we knew they would. We’ll hear about it someday.

*end ensco theory*
    Last edited by ensco; 02-14-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The pitch is the reason. Bad decisions, bad luck, the effing ground share.

It was so atrocious that he couldn’t enjoy the football, couldn’t get better - it caused him to investigate leaving.

That is the reason VV left.

*end ensco theory*
    You joke but I don’t think that’s out of the realm of possibility. I was going to write that at one point. Except for Giovinco not Vazquez.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pitch is the reason. Bad decisions on grounds care/maintenance , bad luck, the effing ground share.

That is the reason VV left. The effing Argos. Ruining everything like we knew they would. We’ll hear about it someday.

*end ensco theory*
    Thanks ensco! Should keep this thread going strong for a couple more pages w/o any real player movement to report.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Not joking. That is the reason, I believe that.

Seba hated it but would have stayed. But Victor realized he only had a year or two left and couldn’t get himself righted on that pitch. Then he took the dough. But money was second for him, unlike Seba.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ensco! Should keep this thread going strong for a couple more pages w/o any real player movement to report.
    The thread purists will hate that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*end ensco theory*
    I've been saying this within my circles for the last year. I wish I could find stats on injury rates at BMO field last season. I'm willing to bet they are way above the league average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    I've been saying this within my circles for the last year. I wish I could find stats on injury rates at BMO field last season. I'm willing to bet they are way above the league average.
    A soft sandy pitch is about the worst thing you can be running on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The article Molinaro wrote today based on his interview with Curtis said both VV and Seba leaving took them by surprise.
    I guess they didn't hear any of Seba's quotes in the media last year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess they didn't hear any of Seba's quotes in the media last year...
    Yeah it didn’t take a genius. My point was more to say they hadn’t really planned for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah the pitch will be an ongoing issue this year.
    I even think Greg Vanney would leave too if someone offered him a job at this point.
    Seba with the pitch
    Vanney up Van Dier Wiel ass all the time
    Altidore at times wasn't happy with his playing minutes
    Vasquez, just seemed like he had A.D.D....being injured and then when ready to play, he had to remember how to play his position all over again with how the team plays.
    Bradley a workhorse, but needs to understand not everyone will play like him for every minute on the pitch. Plus i felt he lost his swagger a bit last year, and should have blasted the balls a few times, at the net, instead of passing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Notice how they are quietly learning that lesson and applying it with Genk?
    Are they though?

They’ve closed nothing of meaning as yet. The whole management style strikes me as very old-school.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Menendez not coming.

https://www.tycsports.com/nota/superliga-2019/2019/02/14/menendez-finalmente-se-quedara-en-independiente.html