Page 47 of 191 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to agree having these guys playing the final year of their contract serves as a distraction.

However, let’s back up here before going into full apocalypse mode. Clearly Manning and Curtis have work to do. Let’s see what they come up with.

In the meantime there are boatloads of obvious questions media should be asking: what’s the team’s budget for the future? What style of play are we aiming for? Will VV be replaced in this window? How much money can be spent on that signing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it entirely possible that after last years disappointment mgmt is waiting to see who bounces back, what this roster is still capable of. We don't need to commit to the big 3 today so why not wait and see how the CCL goes and if they can get it done in the league and if it goes well extend some contracts if the cost is right, if it goes like last year start the transition, I don't get the urgency with regards to the DPs. In the end if they move on so be it clubs and players move on, Keano left United, Henry left Arsenal doesn't mean they aren't legends to their teams just that time moves on. If Seba leaves it won't diminish 2017 but we don't have to lock him up today so why not see what this roster can still get done

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I think that was his game plan, but there is a serious risk of a lost season with a chaotic room. If I am him, I would sign or sell/loan those guys now.

Suspect he cannot do anything.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That salary story better be true. If Vazquez isn’t making $4M, our room is a disaster right now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That salary story better be true. If Vazquez isn’t making $4M, our room is a disaster right now.
    I think you are overestimating the impact of an oft injured player on the state of our dressing room. He isn't the first player to leave a team, it happens. It's not like we did what the Impact did to Ciman and traded him without notice and against a promise. That can ruin a room. VV found a place he would rather go and play out his days for some good $$$.

Also, I don't think VV moved to a place like Qatar for no pay raise. He could go to Europe or to most MLS teams and score what he was getting here or more.

And with the personalities in our room, a room built on character, I don't think it's like the old days with a bunch of clicks turning on each other.

Not everything is dysfunction and desolation. This is the business of sports and it's part of the game for better or worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enough of your gloom and doom bullshit...jesus...ban me so i dont have to read about your paranoia and conspiracy theories for the last 5 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Guy who broke basically everything this off season (who is this guy?) now says:

There will be no direct replacement for VV. Two new players will be acquired at low-mid TAM level. A 10 and a Winger.

If that’s true, I guess we’re starting to shop in South America?
    If so, we have come full circle to Kevin Payne...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I note that under Bez, leaks like we saw the last few days did not happen.

Somebody is leaking information & it sounds like its from within the organization. I suspect its somebody not happy with the Curtis hire. Whomever that is, I am darn sure Manning is not happy with the tone of what was going on today.

When MLSE finds out who is dealing intel, and they will, the leaks are going to stop and that somebody is going to be out of a job.

As much as I like to hear information, what we are seeing of late is not exactly good information for an organization to get out there. And, it seems to be from a certain perspective. So, somebody is not happy. This does not bode well for an organization about to go into a player transition.

The Front Office has to get its shit together. Pull as one or get the hell out.
    Very well said. Also, Bradley’s silence is interesting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/sta...50668058890245

So I guess according to this that paranoia will settle with some moves that will be coming in the near future! Let's see what happens, have to give that new regime some time to settle and see what the plan is.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The course was set by Leiweke. That was five years ago and everybody has been executing the 2014 strategy since. Did a great job of it, too.

But they waited at least six months too long here to communicate the next five year plan. If they are going to a $15M payroll, they should have said it by now. They should have moved or re-signed Seba and Jozy by now. The one guy they gave a bit of security to left anyway.

I think there is still time to fix it, but I am suspicious that the plan is to have no plan until end of 2019. Just play out all the Leiweke cards and then see. But it won’t work, the room will be chaos. May already be.

MLSE probably has a big corporate planning cycle that Manning is baked into, so it's not like he can just respond to vision questions based on news flow.

The Bez thing didn’t help, it's fuel for the fire.

Manning has screwed this up, and probably can’t address it quickly or easily now.
    Perhaps “ Manning appears not to have asserted control quickly enough and events have taken over”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why are we assuming MLSE is gonna cut costs? The team is similar to the Raptors, see what happens this year and if i doesnt work out a rebuild starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    why are we assuming MLSE is gonna cut costs? The team is similar to the Raptors, see what happens this year and if i doesnt work out a rebuild starts.
    i dont know where these guys are getting there info...the club said at the end of the season.that they are making a run this season with mostly the same same roster.sure vasquez was a blow,you cant blame him for taking the money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    Because that's what people do whenever any change happens with TFC. We're always a few moments away from becoming FC Dallas or RSL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i dont know where these guys are getting there info...the club said at the end of the season.that they are making a run this season with mostly the same same roster.sure vasquez was a blow,you cant blame him for taking the money.
    If I was running the show this is exactly what I would do too. See how the DPs are physically and how they perform. Like every sport does when dealing with players and especially players over 30.

Look at the reactions of certain people on this board and imagine if we signed our 3 DPs for what they want and for 3 or so years. Now say Seba's stats go down in the same trajectory as they have been, say Altidore gets injured as he usually does, and say Bradley hits the wall as has been mentioned. Then there would be calls for Manning's, Vanney's, and Curtis' heads for handicapping our roster with old guys.

Last year when VV was consistently getting injured a lot of folks were hoping he would retire back to Spain and we would go younger. Now it happens and it's a sign of imminent doom.

It should also be noted that we have one of the slower teams in the league across the board. At some point that will need to be addressed and having a slew of players over 30 who were slow in their late 20's isn't going to fix that.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 01-16-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Because that's what people do whenever any change happens with TFC. We're always a few moments away from becoming FC Dallas or RSL.
    pardon me...what changes are you talking about,,,we will have the highest payroll again this season,if we were going on the cheap ..we would of sold the 3 dps and put some cash in there pockets and sign guys like urutti to replace them..it would be suicide for this club to go cheap, with the battle for the sports dollar in this city...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was running the show this is exactly what I would do too. See how the DPs are physically and how they perform. Like every sport does when dealing with players and especially players over 30.

Look at the reactions of certain people on this board and imagine if we signed our 3 DPs for what they want and for 3 or so years. Now say Seba's stats go down in the same trajectory as they have been, say Altidore gets injured as he usually does, and say Bradley hits the wall as has been mentioned. Then there would be calls for Manning's, Vanney's, and Curtis' heads for handicapping our roster with old guys.

Last year when VV was consistently getting injured a lot of folks were hoping he would retire back to Spain and we would go younger. Now it happens and it's a sign of imminent doom.

It should also be noted that we have one of the slower teams in the league across the board. At some point that will need to be addressed and having a slew of players over 30 who were slow in their late 20's isn't going to fix that.
    yup..i totally agree with that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Something to note - Toronto was never VV final destination.

There were a couple of times during the 2017 season where I remember him saying he would like to one day go back to Spain.

I think in his mind Toronto was always a place where he saw he could regroup with his family after the experience he had in Mexico - show people he could still play - and then move on. Sucks that he's moving on, but the fact that he went to a place where his buddy is and if true - making 4Million a year - tells me it isn't about the club being in shambles - although I'm not saying that some unrest couldn't have made his decision easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Guy who broke basically everything this off season (who is this guy?) now says:

There will be no direct replacement for VV. Two new players will be acquired at low-mid TAM level. A 10 and a Winger.

If that’s true, I guess we’re starting to shop in South America?
    They said the same thing in the press. It’s a vague statement. I’d like to hear a follow up question from the press to know exactly what it means.

I would have preferred a more direct answer. Certainly if they went back into the market it’s a better signal about their future intentions
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-16-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pardon me...what changes are you talking about,.
    Bez.

Never said anything about the money, roster, or anything else. Saying that the simple change of Bez as VP to some people means he fled our newfound cheap/dysfunctional organization and that the new regime will revert to a RSL model or a model of our own 2009 to 2012 versions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody had the same question I had

Hamilton is only 22 - feels like he's been around forever.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-16-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fernandinho View Post
    There's the cheap depth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fernandinho View Post
    This is interesting, wonder if Endoh is still an international, kind of surprised he would be signed at this point when they chose not to last year. Guess they saw something in his USL season. This is JHams make or break year, I really thought he would have ended up in the CPL and he still may do so on loan with TFCII now in the USL third division.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the whole Endoh to TFC II thing was until he got his green card. From what I saw he looked alright there. Scored a few goals of the type we could definitely use from midfield.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enough of your gloom and doom bullshit...jesus...ban me so i dont have to read about your paranoia and conspiracy theories for the last 5 years
    You can just block me. Why don’t you just do that?

I keep having to ignore your insults but it's getting boring.

I am blocking you as I write this, see ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    This is interesting, wonder if Endoh is still an international, kind of surprised he would be signed at this point when they chose not to last year. Guess they saw something in his USL season. This is JHams make or break year, I really thought he would have ended up in the CPL and he still may do so on loan with TFCII now in the USL third division.
    Manning had stated previously that TFC was looking to get a USL Championship affiliate (Fury I believe he actually stated) for anyone who isn't getting minutes but is above the level TFC2 is now in.

I could see Hamilton/Akinola/Bakero going down for a spell if everything works out with Jozy and Seba at the beginning of the year but I think they will be playing heavier MLS minutes at the beginning while we are still in CCL.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Thank you VV for your time here. But this is a beauty in disguise.

Gio should move into his free roam number 10 position, (which i felt was a negative to TFCs tactics of having essentially 3 central strikers) and we'll get a new TAM striker and TAM winger (who i think is Janson)...

All in all i think we'll be alright, the real issue (not Seba and Jozy DP contracts) is getting MB off his DP contract.

I see mentions of a 3rd CB, I wont be surprised if we dont get another one, without one leaving.
    But would Seba be willing to play that role at TFC, to be somewhat a replacement for Vazquez? Seba did in Italy, but in that case there were clearly better & more powerful strikers on the team. A similar role was in fact announced for Seba when he joined TFC, but then Seba said in his first interview in Toronto that he's a striker. It was the right decision then, we see how many goals he scored, and we had nobody else who would produce nearly as much. Now that he's a few years older, has been somewhat figured out by MLS defenses, and his production has dropped from his pinnacle, will he be willing to play a roaming / free / more playmaker + secondary scoring role? He might get really frustrated if he's depending on somebody like Hamilton or even Janson to score lots of goals (+ Altidore).

Next problem if we're playing with two strikers + roaming playmaker Seba: I don't think MLS teams can afford to have 3 of their players provide minimal defense, and I don't think Seba would want to do much defending & pressing for a full 90 minutes.

That setup might work better if we played with a single dominant striker, but we don't really have anyone to play that role. Altidore is big and strong, but isn't well suited to a single striker role. He plays much better in close with another striker (like Seba when everybody was healthy & things were clicking).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    But would Seba be willing to play that role at TFC, to be somewhat a replacement for Vazquez? Seba did in Italy, but in that case there were clearly better & more powerful strikers on the team. A similar role was in fact announced for Seba when he joined TFC, but then Seba said in his first interview in Toronto that he's a striker. It was the right decision then, we see how many goals he scored, and we had nobody else who would produce nearly as much. Now that he's a few years older, has been somewhat figured out by MLS defenses, and his production has dropped from his pinnacle, will he be willing to play a roaming / free / more playmaker + secondary scoring role? He might get really frustrated if he's depending on somebody like Hamilton or even Janson to score lots of goals (+ Altidore).

Next problem if we're playing with two strikers + roaming playmaker Seba: I don't think MLS teams can afford to have 3 of their players provide minimal defense, and I don't think Seba would want to do much defending & pressing for a full 90 minutes.

That setup might work better if we played with a single dominant striker, but we don't really have anyone to play that role. Altidore is big and strong, but isn't well suited to a single striker role. He plays much better in close with another striker (like Seba when everybody was healthy & things were clicking).
    This is exactly what I was thinking. This simple solution is to upgrade Altidore to a player who can do that role and is more durable.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning beginning to move out with a message. Stejskal works for the league website but the Molinaro "just saw Bill Manning" tweet indicates they know they gotta move on the messaging"