Page 164 of 191 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,920 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was to guess: this is done.

Working hypothesis: TFC let him stay until Genk are eliminated from Europa League, and they are holed up having a convoluted negotiation over how the price changes as Genk progress. Pozo will need to have Genk pay serious bonuses for advancement, and will need insurance for the injury risk.

Europa League Dates:
    Round of 16 - March 7 and 14
    Quarterfinals - April 11 and 18
    Semi finals - May 2 and May 9
    Finals - May 29

I am not sure the Belgium league playoffs can be part of this, other than they may be part of the math of how the transfer fee gets calculated. It's just too complicated, and that would require Pozo committing to 15+ league games until late May (and therefore not arriving until July).

This will be the hard part for Genk - while Genk are in first place, 2019-20 CL and EL qualification are really all about the playoff stage, and those games don't start for 3 weeks. But TFC can say: “we're meeting you halfway, we'll wait for one of your two competitions”, and it's a deal sportsmen can agree to.

There would still be a small chance of his arrival being delayed until summer, if Genk get to Europa League semis, but it's highly unlikely. If they get through, Genk are very likely to be an underdog in the Round of 16 (most of the final 16 teams will be much bigger teams)

If they go out today, he'll be here next week.

—————-

Pure speculation. I know nothing. All I know is, they have spent weeks discussing something, so it must be complex.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a tough road trip to Philly (yes, we need to get back into that way of thinking), we have 3 home games against teams we need to beat to grab a playoff spot - NER, NYC & Chicago. I suspect the brain trust wants recruits to be helpful for that stretch. If we come out of those first 4 games without 6 points, we are back to last year's debacle & attendance is going to tank.

7 of our first 10 games are at home (I suspect this was done to give us a platform to rest for CCL) but with tough road trips to Philly, Atlanta & Seattle. This first stretch gives us a chance. Recruits and changes have to come sooner rather then later.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-21-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    It seems that today there is clarity in the file of Alejandro Pozuelo. On Wednesday, he was still training with the eye on Thursday's European match against Slavia Prague, but it still seems that news will soon be coming in his transfer file. Het Laatste Nieuws repeats that in principle there is still a breakthrough in the negotiations between KRC Genk and Toronto.

https://krcgenkrss.be/2019/02/20/bre...andro-pozuelo/
    I'm expecting an announcement about Poz's transfer on Friday, because everything is big time dependent on if they qualify or not in this evening's match vs Prague.
    The match is ending at 10 PM central Europe's time, so no way we'll hear something today IMO...

In the mean time I have just made another wager on Genk at -0.25 handicap (-129 odds).
    This would mean they would qualify if they win, because it was 0-0 in the first game of the tie in Prague. But if Poz won't be a starter again (which is very possible), I will lose again, I will be fuc..ked the 2nd time in row because of Poz's transfer shenenigans, lol... I already lost this Sunday, when Genk was handed their ass by Brugge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSA - the Genk game is on at 3 pm on DAZN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If I was to guess: this is done.

Working hypothesis: TFC let him stay until Genk are eliminated from Europa League, and they are holed up having a convoluted negotiation over how the price changes as Genk progress. Pozo will need to have Genk pay serious bonuses for advancement, and will need insurance for the injury risk.

Europa League Dates:
    Round of 16 - March 7 and 14
    Quarterfinals - April 11 and 18
    Semi finals - May 2 and May 9
    Finals - May 29

I am not sure the Belgium league playoffs can be part of this, other than they may be part of the math of how the transfer fee gets calculated. It's just too complicated, and that would require Pozo committing to 15+ league games until late May (and therefore not arriving until July).

This will be the hard part for Genk - while Genk are in first place, 2019-20 CL and EL qualification are really all about the playoff stage, and those games don't start for 3 weeks. But TFC can say: “we're meeting you halfway, we'll wait for one of your two competitions”, and it's a deal sportsmen can agree to.

There would still be a small chance of his arrival being delayed until summer, if Genk get to Europa League semis, but it's highly unlikely. If they get through, Genk are very likely to be an underdog in the Round of 16 (most of the final 16 teams will be much bigger teams)

If they go out today, he'll be here next week.

—————-

Pure speculation. I know nothing. All I know is, they have spent weeks discussing something, so it must be complex.
    This is pretty accurate. They have obviously discussed something but perhaps is a discount since TFC likely could have forced the issue legally.

Anyways let’s hope a Genk goes out. If we wait until May we could be 0-7 in league and long gone from CCL. Wouldn’t suprise me if we are outscored by about 20 goal by then too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Listened to the KJ and Caldwell podcast today. They said that Ciman doesn't like to defend and is not really a defender as can be seen in that game. Come again? Our starting CB doesn't like to defend and is not a defender? I have never heard of a CB described as such in my life. I can't wrap my head around that comment. Even more curious why TFC picked him up in the offseason if that is the case.
    In fairness that term is used regularly to describe modern defenders. Just to give a couple of examples at the very top level. John Stones at City is a centre half who like Ciman isn't an old fashioned stopper. He's there not because he makes amazing last ditch tackles or is dominant in the air, he is there primarily because he is comfortable with the ball at his feet, and can start attacks by carrying the ball out from defence. Eric Lindelof at Utd, slow, poor in the air and not fond of the physical aspect of the game, but been Utd's best central defender this season as he brings an aspect to that defence that no other centre half they have, has, ie he is comfortable on the ball. Saying they don't like to defend is just football speak for that they are more comfortable with the ball than your typical gritty centre half. I can see why Vanney went this route though. Having a central defender comfortable on the ball is something we didn't have, hence we often seen Bradley as the furthest man back picking up the ball. He was still doing that the other night to a degree but you'd imagine the idea is to have Ciman start to do a lot more of this going forward. It's no secret Vanney is a big fan of the City model, so you can see what he's thinking. Will it work, remains to be seen, but I think we need to give it more than one game, and we need to see what the final few bits of the jigsaw are as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt it's a discount. If anything the price is going to rise. Genk have the high ground.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think their ground got higher with the result but the bigger leverage here is Poz with the 1978 move. Even without an offer from China, the threat of not getting the same ROI is higher on their side then ours.

I would assume Manning & Curtis have pointed out to Genk their other options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the deadline to come to an agreement is today because if they dont get him over soon TFC wont have a shot at the playoffs. You cant win in this league with one DP who misses about 40% of games and the other one is barely worth a TAM contract at this point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving to correct thread

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If I were Curtis & Manning, I would have let Genk know yesterday they are planning to go off today to see another match.
    Nah. No leverage in that. This is just the suit dance. This point is already made, it is why the meeting is at the airport.

The 2ICs meet near one guys camp (the league office in NY), set the ground rules, then the honchos come for the ultimate meeting near (but not in) the other guys camp. All know it’s done or over by today 5pm local (because that’s when the Chairman has to leave for the game). If there’s a deal, we have celebration! They come to the game, and it‘s all smiles (within the bounds of good taste). If not Manning and Curtis are on the late flight home.

I love that the Belgian papers have the details on exactly when and where these meetings are, btw, these are real clues to what is going on.... it’s the stuff of life for suit behaviour aficionados!
    Last edited by ensco; 02-21-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from @footballitalia on twitter:

Giovinco on leaving #TorontoFC: "They made me a ridiculous offer of a renewal. After what I’d done through the years & the results we achieved, I expected much better from them. I was disappointed & considered it a lack of respect" #TFC#MLS

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/s...71899339239424

I'm of the opinion that Giovinco was paid both handsomely and fairly for the results that were given. Very few players in the history of the MLS have received what he received from MLSE for mostly similar results. I don't think he's entitled to the premium that he thinks he's entitled to. I've never gotten that treatment in my line of work, that's for sure!

Maybe if I felt that he was underpaid, I could sympathize with him a little more. It's just difficult to do so given all of the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll be at the game tonight. Pozo is listed as doubtful with a bruised foot. Was hoping to see him play in person.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I’ll be at the game tonight. Pozo is listed as doubtful with a bruised foot. Was hoping to see him play in person.
    Depending on how today goes, he might make a miraculous recovery.

In the meantime, we demand you get your rollerblades on and get to the lobby of the Sheraton at Brussels airport immediately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah be sure to get a set of binoculars too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning and Curtis left Belgium without a deal done.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Manning and Curtis left Belgium without a deal done.
    Speculation or have a source?
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game time is 3pm EST. I'd keep on eye on this (on DAZN or twitter), if Manning and Curtis are in the Chairman's box.. we have white smoke!
    Habemus Alejandram?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DFloorDanny View Post
    from @footballitalia on twitter:

Giovinco on leaving #TorontoFC: "They made me a ridiculous offer of a renewal. After what I’d done through the years & the results we achieved, I expected much better from them. I was disappointed & considered it a lack of respect" #TFC#MLS

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/s...71899339239424

I'm of the opinion that Giovinco was paid both handsomely and fairly for the results that were given. Very few players in the history of the MLS have received what he received from MLSE for mostly similar results. I don't think he's entitled to the premium that he thinks he's entitled to. I've never gotten that treatment in my line of work, that's for sure!

Maybe if I felt that he was underpaid, I could sympathize with him a little more. It's just difficult to do so given all of the circumstances.
    For me, you git the nail on the head. When we signed him, we overpaid him. That's what mls has to do to get elite players, you have to pay more than they are worth. Giovinco was a sub at Juventus and not playing for the national team, but we made him the highest paid Italian in the world. It's like any league (ie Jays would have to pay more than Yankees to get a player to want to come).

Yet over the course of his deal Giovinco seems to have forgotten that we paid well above his worth to get him here. Just because you're the best doesn't mean you're underpaid. He was the best player in mls, but we still paid triple his European market worth. So come 4 years later, with some decline we made an offer that was probably still triple his euro rate, but he went from thinking his 7 million original deal was the base rate, whereas tfc was of the mind, we gave you extra because we needed to convince you to leave your home + play soccer, now that this is your home, they were going to pay him just for soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Speculation or have a source?
    Just from reading news on twitter from Belgium media. If you want to follow the saga just type in “Pozuelo toronto” and you’ll find daily articles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just from reading news on twitter from Belgium media. If you want to follow the saga just type in “Pozuelo toronto” and you’ll find daily articles.
    I have been doing exactly that multiple times a day, and just did it now. I do not see what you are seeing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you provide a link to the story that says TFC brass has left without a deal completed?

None of the todays press clipping (that i can find) indicate anything of the sort.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the Racing Genk news site genkfan recommended about 25 pages ago, and I have found it to be pretty good.

https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/bel...al/racing-genk

I am envious of how vibrant and competitive the Belgian soccer media are. Imagine a world where the media don't own the teams....
    Last edited by ensco; 02-21-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny shit on Twitter abot Pozuelo:
    https://twitter.com/swissrules69/sta...59578230394882

Just to ease up a bit today's tension...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been doing exactly that multiple times a day, and just did it now. I do not see what you are seeing.
    Manning and Curtis have left Belgium and flown back to Toronto, but negotiations remain ongoing. Expect Pozuelo to play in Europa league today https://t.co/tUTzgY5ZOn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone has posted this, but it appears we are linked with Giuseppe Rossi: toronto-fc-giuseppe-rossi-vicino-alla-mls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSG released Lassana Diarra today. Obviously, TFC have links to France. I don't know what his fitness levels are like, but he's somehow still just 33 and is someone who could play next to Bradley (or give him a rest). He can play RB as well, I think. Wouldn't be pushing the needle, but could be a useful stopgap ... or a panic buy.

EDIT: He's actually 34 in a couple weeks.
    Last edited by Bobo; 02-21-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning and Curtis have left Belgium and flown back to Toronto, but negotiations remain ongoing. Expect Pozuelo to play in Europa league today https://t.co/tUTzgY5ZOn
    Thanks. You are first with the news on this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    PSG released Lassana Diarra today. Obviously, TFC have links to France. I don't know what his fitness levels are like, but he's somehow still just 33 and is someone who could play next to Bradley (or give him a rest). He can play RB as well, I think. Wouldn't be pushing the needle, but could be a useful stopgap ... or a panic buy.

EDIT: He's actually 34 in a couple weeks.
    This is interesting because he has a sports drink and it appears to be connected with the NBA somehow? Perhaps playing in Toronto would interest him.

All this to say - TFC NEEDS TO SIGN SOME PLAYERS NOW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Buffery reporting that if Genk aren't willing to let Pozuelo go in March to come to TFC, he will break his contract and go to China:

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...eeds-some-help

Basically the same as Giovinco - only in it for the money.

Unless that threat is just a ploy to make Genk think they could get nothing and so should accept TFC's payment.
    Giovinco flew back from Italy to step on the field and score the goal that put us in the playoffs for the first time ever. He should never be described as only in it for the money. He gave his all for us and won us a championship, very nearly three. You could argue quite fairly that pride had more to do with him not wanting a pay cut to stay, particularly when TFC didn’t even pick up his option. He is a passionate guy and management saying to someone very often described as the best player ever to play on this league “we will pay you like you are a top ten player” rather than “we will continue to pay you as the best ever player” had predictable results. Did money matter? Of course. Was he “only in it for the money?” Never and it never should be said on these boards. He’s a hero on the field for us and remains one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article posted above basically states that both clubs agreed to review the negotiations and that talks will continue no later than Monday.
    Part of the "truce" is that Genk demands that Poz will keep playing to his full ability, something TFC would also communicate to him.
    If that doesn't happen, Genk will pull the plug and cancel the transfer, with the fallout of that yet to be clear.
    He's expected at kickoff against Slavia Prague.