Page 168 of 191 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,040 of 5725
  1. #5011
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,410
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hope we keep him but I don’t see him much differently than I saw Gio: a player that is by definition unsettled and needs to be signed or moved now. Not later.

    We we will be FC Altidore in the summer, guaranteed, if we do nothing.
    ďWhat the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.Ē

  2. #5012
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If Jozy puts together a full season, sign him to a 2 year DP contract + 1 year option. I honestly believe we're going to see the best Jozy this year and next, then age will start catching up to him.

    For Pozuelo, it looks like he'd be a good No 10 signing, but they also need creative wingers and some speedy defenders.

  3. #5013
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    If Jozy puts together a full season, sign him to a 2 year DP contract + 1 year option. I honestly believe we're going to see the best Jozy this year and next, then age will start catching up to him.

    For Pozuelo, it looks like he'd be a good No 10 signing, but they also need creative wingers and some speedy defenders.
    IF they want to play a 4-3-3 they need at least one DP level winger imo.

  4. #5014
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pinnacle of 115
    Posts
    1,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Schijt.

    A word they have that we should pick up is ďtransfersoapĒ. Like Auzzy said above, the white smoke needs to go into the lexicon here, and so does transfersoap. I intend to use it in any future VV/Seba/Pozo drama....
    Seems like Transfersoap is more of a black cloud over the team rather than any sign of white smoke.

  5. #5015
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    today



    One day, maybe






    Works for me....

  6. #5016
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,677
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So is the only real option for vander Wiel at this point a buyout?

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  7. #5017
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How many roster spots do we have open?

  8. #5018
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC formerly from Hamilton
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think Boyd could be one of those gem signings like Mavinga. Lets all give it a chance.
    Boydís injury record makes Jozy look like an Ironman. Our plan for strikers is based on a hope that injury records change. On the bright side Hamilton should be able to look forward to playing time.

  9. #5019
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redskiesatnight View Post
    How many roster spots do we have open?
    I think the ticket is to fill those roster spots, come on TFC management FFS

  10. #5020
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    with perpetual hope
    Posts
    3,561
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't think he was out coached often actually. Pre-match he called the right plan and went over it in those TFC website videos they don't bother doing anymore. Sometimes we'd come out great but then revert to the slow down, methodical, sideways pass fest or else we'd just do that from the start. That's a symptom that started at the end of 2017 and kept getting worse.

    So I think Vanney knows what he's doing and has a decent handle on tactics and adjustments. I just don't think the team listens to him anymore or they have become so accustomed to that 'easy' way of playing that it's a habit they can't break. Either way, that's not a good sign for the manager.
    Resoect but for over a year Iíve gone against my instincts and watched us controlled by other teams , how many games were we beaten in the second half simply by losing our aggressiveness and going into a shell ...with our defence yet . I believe soccer needs a huge emotional inspirational element as well as the tactical approach, and for me , as highly intelligent as Vanney is he , at this moment in his career heís not equipped to inspire . I wish I was wrong but itís been on a downer and lost since winning last year and as Mr. Ferguson (paraphrasing), said after winning the championship it is very hard to dig in to find the desire to do it all again the following season ....and good mgrs should realize that ! I could list every problem , but itís tiring .....I would easily eat my words if Iím wrong .......maybe Vanney would prosper without a Manning , truth but mlse isnít interested. Sadly .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

  11. #5021
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    So is the only real option for vander Wiel at this point a buyout?
    I think they should kiss and make up. He is needed on the pitch. Besides, what he said, in hindsight, is true.

  12. #5022
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,677
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redskiesatnight View Post
    How many roster spots do we have open?
    Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I think the ticket is to fill those roster spots, come on TFC management FFS
    27 of 30 spots are filled. Taking care of the van der Weil situation will open up another. Plus there is the 31st spot if you desinate one of the kids for a USL loan.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  13. #5023
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    with perpetual hope
    Posts
    3,561
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think Boyd could be one of those gem signings like Mavinga. Lets all give it a chance.
    Youre right , heís not a gem ...but he has heart and the desire to improve ...I was mad as piss but if you read his bio , heís a new dad in a new country giving it his all , and is thankful for getting a chance , and he let his emotions take over .....better than most right now .....we canít say he wonít lack effort .....hopefully Vanney doesnít over intellectualize him and kill his spirit .......like many before
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

  14. #5024
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Resoect but for over a year Iíve gone against my instincts and watched us controlled by other teams , how many games were we beaten in the second half simply by losing our aggressiveness and going into a shell ...with our defence yet . I believe soccer needs a huge emotional inspirational element as well as the tactical approach, and for me , as highly intelligent as Vanney is he , at this moment in his career heís not equipped to inspire . I wish I was wrong but itís been on a downer and lost since winning last year and as Mr. Ferguson (paraphrasing), said after winning the championship it is very hard to dig in to find the desire to do it all again the following season ....and good mgrs should realize that ! I could list every problem , but itís tiring .....I would easily eat my words if Iím wrong .......maybe Vanney would prosper without a Manning , truth but mlse isnít interested. Sadly .
    Wrong thread. This is the transfers thread. Please use the Vanney thread to discuss Vanney.

  15. #5025
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,312
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I think they should kiss and make up. He is needed on the pitch. Besides, what he said, in hindsight, is true.
    I think we have enough defenders standing around and doing nothing already.

  16. #5026
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,312
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Youre right , he’s not a gem ...but he has heart and the desire to improve ...I was mad as piss but if you read his bio , he’s a new dad in a new country giving it his all , and is thankful for getting a chance , and he let his emotions take over .....better than most right now .....we can’t say he won’t lack effort .....hopefully Vanney doesn’t over intellectualize him and kill his spirit .......like many before
    Like I said earlier, I'm not expecting a lot from Boyd but I am totally willing to give him a fair shot. Some guys with really checkered pasts click in MLS (BWP) and sometimes the technical, great on paper guys flop (Aketxe). You never know until they get a fair run out. My expectation is that he should at least be Rickett's level. Similarly this is why I didn't jump on the bash Ciman train. He has to be better than Zavaleta and that's the alternative.

  17. #5027
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I fear the Pozuelo chase May be the most fun we are going to have around here for a long time.

    I am determined to enjoy it.

    Plus I have picked up a few words of Dutch. For instance, the word for ďsagaĒ is ďsagaĒ.
    Hmmm...what's the Dutch word for croissant?


  18. #5028
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Halton Hills
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I think they should kiss and make up. He is needed on the pitch. Besides, what he said, in hindsight, is true.
    van der Wiel is an enigma. The things we don't know - how disrespectful was he to Vanney? what does Bradley the captain think of his meltdown and attitude? Whatever the depth of the problem, it seems shallow enough that TFC are exploring trades or having some other team take on his contract. It does not appear that it was bad enough behaviour to void the contract.
    van der Wiel 2018 was good and bad imho. Too many slipshod moments defending, showed flashes of talent creating long passes out of the back.
    IF he needs to show his worth again to be traded or moved, he might be motivated to play at his best as a showcase. It might also be in TFC's advantage to be back in last chance mode. vdW screws up again and TFC might have grounds to void the contract....
    Right now seems stalemate

  19. #5029
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    First of all, a big hello to everyone. Glad to be here on these forums. A lot of great discussion.

    Has anyone confirmed whether the blow up with Vanny and VdW was a personal clash between the two of them or did it extend to others on the team? Was that the root cause of the sending home just the player/coach dust up?

    I ask only because if hypothetically Vanny is on a short leash, the fact they haven't moved vdw yet could lend to a return with a new manager. I'm literally just spitballing on this one.

    Also, Hassler would have looked mighty good right now. I still don't get that move by Bez. Was it a Vanny move to want him out? I only ask because Vanny liked to pull Hassler off the field at the most inopportune times when Hassler was actually having good games.

  20. #5030
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I think they should kiss and make up. He is needed on the pitch. Besides, what he said, in hindsight, is true.
    He is needed. He also needs to put more effort in. What we saw last year on the pitch simply wasnít good enough or up to his potential.

  21. #5031
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Would he have been more effective then Auro? Was he EVER effective as a CB last year, a position he openly said he doesn't like?

    Pah....guy is gone in all but his spot on the roster.

  22. #5032
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    van der Wiel is an enigma. The things we don't know - how disrespectful was he to Vanney? what does Bradley the captain think of his meltdown and attitude? Whatever the depth of the problem, it seems shallow enough that TFC are exploring trades or having some other team take on his contract. It does not appear that it was bad enough behaviour to void the contract.
    van der Wiel 2018 was good and bad imho. Too many slipshod moments defending, showed flashes of talent creating long passes out of the back.
    IF he needs to show his worth again to be traded or moved, he might be motivated to play at his best as a showcase. It might also be in TFC's advantage to be back in last chance mode. vdW screws up again and TFC might have grounds to void the contract....
    Right now seems stalemate
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC-Fever View Post
    First of all, a big hello to everyone. Glad to be here on these forums. A lot of great discussion.

    Has anyone confirmed whether the blow up with Vanny and VdW was a personal clash between the two of them or did it extend to others on the team? Was that the root cause of the sending home just the player/coach dust up?

    I ask only because if hypothetically Vanny is on a short leash, the fact they haven't moved vdw yet could lend to a return with a new manager. I'm literally just spitballing on this one.

    Also, Hassler would have looked mighty good right now. I still don't get that move by Bez. Was it a Vanny move to want him out? I only ask because Vanny liked to pull Hassler off the field at the most inopportune times when Hassler was actually having good games.
    It's Vanney (with an "e").

    Van der Wiel plays with no heart or effort. We don't need or want him. Vanney called him out on his lack of effort and he mouthed off at Vanney. VDW is toast.

    Vanney is not "on a short leash." He won MLS Cup and the Supporters Shield in 2017. If TFC misses the playoffs again this year he may be.

    The reason why van der Wiel has not been moved is nobody wants a locker room disturber, particularly if he's not an impact player. Getting him was a big "miss" by Bez last season, particularly as he got rid of Beitashour to get him.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-22-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  23. #5033
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He is needed. He also needs to put more effort in. What we saw last year on the pitch simply wasn’t good enough or up to his potential.
    Totally agree.

    Also agree re Hasler point above. That move never made sense because there seemed to be a "Part B" that never happened. the same with the trade for no. 1 in allocation ranking. Why and what next? Where is the part B? This stuff does not exactly fill you with confidence in management. I also don't get why we did not see Endoh against Panama, unless it was arrogance to start a rookie who isn't MLS remedy and sub a high school kid. Endoh actually fits a 4-3-3 - why do we have him on the roster if not for that position?

  24. #5034
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Halton Hills
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some other thoughts/factors regarding vdW, just a fan speculating, I know nothing.
    the on field bad attitude shown by vdW was his yelling at Giovinco after TFC had allowed a goal (and it was vdW that made a hasty tackle at midfield, but he might have been blaming Giovinco for the situation) last summer.
    Was the Vanney - vdW spat before the Giovinco departure?
    Maybe Seba gone makes it easier for vdW to apologize to all and comeback?
    I have no great vdW love or admiration (but no animosity either), just seems that TFC needing to sign players and having a malcontent on the shelf seems counter productive...
    If you can't be with the one you love (Pozo?) love the one you're with (vdW)

  25. #5035
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's Vanney (with an "e").

    Van der Wiel plays with no heart or effort. We don't need or want him. Vanney called him out on his lack of effort and he mouthed off at Vanney. VDW is toast.

    Vanney is not "on a short leash." He won MLS Cup and the Supporters Shield in 2017. If TFC misses the playoffs again this year he may be.

    The reason why van der Wiel has not been moved is nobody wants a locker room disturber, particularly if he's not an impact player. Getting him was a big "miss" by Bez last season, particularly as he got rid of Beitashour to get him.
    Agree re VDW but we don't really have a RB either. We have a RWB in Auro - and one who seems to have difficulty with the new system (he isn't alone in that but that isnt the point of this comment). VDW is the only RB on the roster. Cutting off nose to spite the face etc.

  26. #5036
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I think they should kiss and make up. He is needed on the pitch. Besides, what he said, in hindsight, is true.
    I agree.

  27. #5037
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We have two decent CD's and a third in Moor. Decent midfield but needs a pure 10. One striker. Everything else is a ? at best. I am getting more and more frustrated at the offseason actions of management - bringing in pieces for a team built around the unique skills of Seba and then letting him go is disastrous and there is no way to pretend that away. The new system is madness with the current roster - we need numerous new players to make it work, particularly wingers, and have possibly seen talk about one. If the Pozuelo saga is transfersoap, there should be a dutch word for this too.

  28. #5038
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He is needed. He also needs to put more effort in. What we saw last year on the pitch simply wasnít good enough or up to his potential.
    Problem is there's nothing to suggest he'll put more effort in even if he says he will.

  29. #5039
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,312
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Agree re VDW but we don't really have a RB either. We have a RWB in Auro - and one who seems to have difficulty with the new system (he isn't alone in that but that isnt the point of this comment). VDW is the only RB on the roster. Cutting off nose to spite the face etc.
    He was the RB that was targeted all last season and whose side most of the goals against came from. Yes he had Zavaleta on that side but so did Beita and even Morgan and both were defensively better than VDW on the pitch where it matters.

    As to Bradley on VDW his interview pre-CCL match said it all. He said the team would miss two great players like Seba & VV but young guys can step up. No mention of VDW and why would there be? He's a floater and he is at for sure one of the locker room issues that keeps getting mentioned from last season. Hopefully we can move him somewhere soon so he can go sit down in the 6 yard box so another team can score against his new team and not us.

  30. #5040
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He was the RB that was targeted all last season and whose side most of the goals against came from. Yes he had Zavaleta on that side but so did Beita and even Morgan and both were defensively better than VDW on the pitch where it matters.

    As to Bradley on VDW his interview pre-CCL match said it all. He said the team would miss two great players like Seba & VV but young guys can step up. No mention of VDW and why would there be? He's a floater and he is at for sure one of the locker room issues that keeps getting mentioned from last season. Hopefully we can move him somewhere soon so he can go sit down in the 6 yard box so another team can score against his new team and not us.
    VDW is still on the roster. He couldnít comment on him.

    I am not saying VDW isnít a problem. I am saying managements various moves have left us in a position where we need him.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •