Page 187 of 191 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191 LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,610 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is the fucking man!!!! Deserves a lot more credit than Sebastian giovinco in my opinion.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    It matters a great deal. Bradley cannot get a single penny over 1.5. I believe salaries below 1.5 can be bought down with TAM. You can leave him DP but you need a number you can buy down just in case. No way they screw themselves just to say “thanks”.

Note - I actually think Bradley would know this and would not want that little bit extra if it meant the team was weaker. He’s not poor or greedy.

Sacha Kljestan makes 1.1
    Bedoya makes 1.2
    Dwyer makes 1.3
    Tim Howard is a goalie making 2.4
    Dempsy got $3m ($1.6 in his last year)

So ya - $1.5 is fair value, but I feel like $2m would be where he'd want to be considering what other higher calibre USMNT players have gotten in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paint me a pessimist; but if Altidore gets injured long term our season is over; I find him to be glass and to easy to break; only playing 50% of the games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair value for Bradley is probably 2m, but likely less after next year. I think the ideal is him signing a deal AAV of 1.25~ over 3 years.

That being said I'd be far less pissed if Bradley signed another DP deal than how I feel right now about Jozy. I really hope that deal is asset protection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Paint me a pessimist; but if Altidore gets injured long term our season is over; I find him to be glass and to easy to break; only playing 50% of the games
    You're a pessimist. Management wouldn't give him a longterm extension if they didn't think he was capable of playing 3,000 minute/season. His Hamstring issues are a thing of the past, and the broken bone in his foot that he's had since the 2017 playoffs is healed. Expect a return to late 2016/2017 form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly this. I always thought maybe I was being too harsh with how often he played but after doing the math and seeing he's actually only played 53% of the time for us... like come on he plays half our games. You can't have a DP that plays only half the games in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont see the direction our front office is going with our DPs at all. I thought we wanted to rebuild? Having 3 DPS 27, 29 and 31 and over makes no sense to me

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    I dont see the direction our front office is going with our DPs at all. I thought we wanted to rebuild? ...
    Management never said that - many of us did, but not them.

This team wants to win consistantly every single season - that's the one thing they have said should define them.

Need to fix the defence to do that but the attack, if we get a LW with TAM, is looking decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Management never said that - many of us did, but not them.

This team wants to win consistantly every single season - that's the one thing they have said should define them.

Need to fix the defence to do that but the attack, if we get a LW with TAM, is looking decent.
    You can still remain competitive and in the race with DPs in the 22-25 age range. Younger players will keep your team more relevant for longer then aging players.

I am sitting here and seeing what Atlanta is doing. That is where the league should be going. We were what teams where trying to copy 2 years ago. Atlanta is the new model. Young DP players who you can trout out there from 22-25 then sell at a abnormal price
    Last edited by Valdal; 02-28-2019 at 02:14 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“This is my family, this club and this city," we need more of players like Jozy and the General

Now only if the FO can find us a winger with pace and the right attitude.

COYRs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We badly need a Left-winger who can cross the ball in well and keep pace with Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can still remain competitive and in the race with DPs in the 22-25 age range. Younger players will keep your team more relevant for longer then aging players.

I am sitting here and seeing what Atlanta is doing. That is where the league should be going. We were what teams where trying to copy 2 years ago. Atlanta is the new model. Young DP players who you can trout out there from 22-25 then sell at a abnormal price
    In an ideal world, I'm right there with you on this sentiment. However, Atl has only been going for a couple of years. Every team in soccer globally is hunting for 22-25 yr old DP level players. Let's see in 5 yrs time if Atl has been able to continue that path. Despite what some might claim, South America is not awash in little Pele's (or Almiron's) waiting to be discovered. Atl did some excellent scouting work to find these players, but, without any long-term data to support this notion, to assume this a sustainable model would be jumping the gun at this point imho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redskiesatnight View Post
    In an ideal world, I'm right there with you on this sentiment. However, Atl has only been going for a couple of years. Every team in soccer globally is hunting for 22-25 yr old DP level players. Let's see in 5 yrs time if Atl has been able to continue that path. Despite what some might claim, South America is not awash in little Pele's (or Almiron's) waiting to be discovered. Atl did some excellent scouting work to find these players, but, without any long-term data to support this notion, to assume this a sustainable model would be jumping the gun at this point imho.
    I completely agree with you. But you do have to give them credit for scouting and hitting on all 3 of there DP's. Their scouting staff alone are tops in the league. MLSE has more than enough money to hire a scouting staff to rival any in the league. We shall see where they are in 5 years! But there roster is mostly all under 25 and in a league with so many games, youth is essential. It just boggles me that MLSE has no real long term plan for out roster. They want to remain competitive to get BMO field revenue but don't care about the long term health of the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've drafted a long post three times about where things stand and deleted them each time. It's just difficult to see any success in the short term coming out of all this. Maybe Pozuelo will live up to the billing and provide the partnership for JA that is necessary to maximize his performance, but that will take time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    You're a pessimist. Management wouldn't give him a longterm extension if they didn't think he was capable of playing 3,000 minute/season. His Hamstring issues are a thing of the past, and the broken bone in his foot that he's had since the 2017 playoffs is healed. Expect a return to late 2016/2017 form.
    3000 seems overly optimistic. Even at his best he is going to be a 2500 minute guy. Jozy needs his minutes managed. Too much work in his body and he gets injured. I believe this will be his least injured season, but I will still believe he doesn't go over 2200 until we get to the playoffs. Jozy will be managed and then sold, that is my position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree with you. But you do have to give them credit for scouting and hitting on all 3 of there DP's. Their scouting staff alone are tops in the league. MLSE has more than enough money to hire a scouting staff to rival any in the league. We shall see where they are in 5 years! But there roster is mostly all under 25 and in a league with so many games, youth is essential. It just boggles me that MLSE has no real long term plan for out roster. They want to remain competitive to get BMO field revenue but don't care about the long term health of the club.
    Maybe? Does “South American Player of the Year” from a huge team require an advanced scouting network?

They signed Barco too, and thus far he’s been a bust. Could he do well? Time will tell. Martinez is like the tap in version of Seba, who is considered the best player MLS has ever seen, and he was “scouted” by MLSE.

There are two options: hire a team that will win now. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t; hire a young team and hope they develop. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t.

There’s a reason clubs like Madrid or Barca scoop up loads of talented youngsters — many of them never amount to anything. Martino enabled ATL to network with these players; that doesn’t mean they will in the future. Who knows, Atlanta could see a couple injuries and end up like us.

Even though ATL won the cup, the RB won the shield again, and their roster is hardly impressive by any means in terms of the players and spending that people on the board want from MLSE.

Even top teams buy older players, or sign older players to extend their contracts. There’s a lot of unrealistic expectations surrounding the transfers we’re supposed to be making. We could sign every talented young South American and they could all turn out badly.

Look at France: excellent players end up moving from L1 to play at the top level on top teams all the time. They don’t always pan out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh absolutely I give them credit, and I'll admit I am somewhat jealous of the squad they have. But that being said, I look at Poz at 27 and he's in his prime and just what we need by the look of him. Jozy is aging but not past it by any means. If his injury issues are behind him as he says (we'll see), then he is a productive striker for this league. And Bradley is a historic DP that we can't do much about this year. I don't expect Poz to be here 6 yrs, nor Jozy for 3, so there's nothing saying that these won't be replaced by younger DP's within a couple of years.

The other factor that we can't be sure of in terms of roster building is where the next CBA discussions go. The FO may be aware of things on the horizon that we aren't and are preparing accordingly (but that's speculation on my part).

However, I do hold out hope that sooner than later we will transition into a younger, quicker, talented squad. Only time will tell though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Exactly this. I always thought maybe I was being too harsh with how often he played but after doing the math and seeing he's actually only played 53% of the time for us... like come on he plays half our games. You can't have a DP that plays only half the games in this league.
    What math did you do because that isn't even close to correct.

15 season: 37 total games, injured for 2
    16 season: 44 total games, injured for 14
    17 season: 43 total games, injured for 6
    18 season: 47 total games, injured for 19
    Total: 171 games, injured for 41. So 23.98% of games he is injured. Even then if you add in the 12 games he's missed from suspension or being on international duty, which I don't know why you would since they have nothing to do with being injury prone, and he is still available for 69% of games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    A thing regarding his minutes is that he is the perfect 65-70 minute forward. He loses about a third of match time there and even though he is healthy, if I were Vanney I'd wouldn't start him in New England ever and would base my decision on Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, & VWC on weather, schedule, travel days off, etc. He may miss some of those or parts of them but those places shouldn't have plastic anywhere other than in their stands.

Plus it's about impact in his minutes and for a guy who plays 'half the time' he sure has a lot of goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Even though ATL won the cup, the RB won the shield again, and their roster is hardly impressive by any means in terms of the players and spending that people on the board want from MLSE.

A lot of people forget that the NYRB manager outcoached himself in the first game of that conference final. If they had stuck to their way of doing things, they likely would have won that series & the cup & we'd all be talking about them right now.

Atlanta won the 5 game run to the playoff cup. They were not good enough to win the league.

I think NYRB takes it all this season - well except the CCL where they are going to get pasted by Santos. They have the horses to do a treble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people forget that the NYRB manager outcoached himself in the first game of that conference final. If they had stuck to their way of doing things, they likely would have won that series & the cup & we'd all be talking about them right now.

Atlanta won the 5 game run to the playoff cup. They were not good enough to win the league.

I think NYRB takes it all this season - well except the CCL where they are going to get pasted by Santos. They have the horses to do a treble.
    Yeah I really admired that team last year. Maybe the most perfect team 1 through 11 in MLS history.

Losing Adams is big though. Not sure they can win anything without him.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. Viewing a salary cap league that has trouble drawing players (due to its relative obscurity and reputation in world football) the same as others is a bit much. Expecting a good season is one thing, playoffs are another, and just about anything can happen.

People are looking for some sort of magic player that TFC wouldn’t be able to get even if they existed and were available. Not only that, but they’re looking for several (and all on TAM when wagers and transfer fees would put them over them).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    What math did you do because that isn't even close to correct.

15 season: 37 total games, injured for 2
    16 season: 44 total games, injured for 14
    17 season: 43 total games, injured for 6
    18 season: 47 total games, injured for 19
    Total: 171 games, injured for 41. So 23.98% of games he is injured. Even then if you add in the 12 games he's missed from suspension or being on international duty, which I don't know why you would since they have nothing to do with being injury prone, and he is still available for 69% of games.
    Portu ran the numbers and minutes wise Jozy has played a little over 50% of minutes while with TFC. The reason is irrelevant really, while injury prone is a good 'catch all' term, red cards and call ups still count as missed games. the only thing I'd care about is output, and if he's available for 50% of minutes that's a huge issue especially as he hits 30 and players rarely become less injury prone with age

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pessimist? No your a realist. To think his injuries are gone and never come back is being nieve. his injuries will re occurring. Hes built like a football player not a soccer player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by metaxa View Post
    Pessimist? No your a realist. To think his injuries are gone and never come back is being nieve. his injuries will re occurring. Hes built like a football player not a soccer player.
    His hamstring injuries disappeared, and he did lose mass. He was playing injured with bone fragments in his foot, and a recurring foot injury. He had surgery.

Third best player in the world recently reinjured the foot that saw him out previously and had him playing injured in the World Cup. Do you think any team would not want Neymar because of injury issues?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet Jozy has only had one really injury marred season which was last year and it was for something stupid and correctable. If anything he should have gotten the surgery last August or September when we were toast so he wouldn't miss the start of this one but whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of forwards/strikers - what has happened to Jon Bakero? We was supposed to challenge Hamilton and Boyd for minutes behind Jozy but have not heard anything about him during the first two games of the season or pre-season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You snobs enjoy yourselves. There is nothing like a crisp Belgian white ale in the world.

EDIT: Reading about Cantillon now. I gotta try that. Although what seems to be available online (the Kriek, amber red) is not my go to choice.

FURTHER EDIT: I don’t know how anyone has an opinion on Saief if they haven’t watched a lot of Israeli league games.
    Pretty much impossible to find Cantillon for sale outside of the brewery. It happens.....but gone in an instant. Bar Volo in Toronto has bottles but they are a bit pricey. They usually hold a Cantillon event one a year as well which is a good introduction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck82 View Post
    Speaking of forwards/strikers - what has happened to Jon Bakero? We was supposed to challenge Hamilton and Boyd for minutes behind Jozy but have not heard anything about him during the first two games of the season or pre-season
    The reason is that he is Spencer level at best but possibly worse and an international.