Page 49 of 191 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 5725
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Bosman only applies to players playing in the EU https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosman_ruling
    I think in reality it would happen the same way here. When Beckham left MLS, he signed with PSG the day after the Galaxy season ended, was playing within days, and was widely believed to have had a handshake in place for months.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

In general I suspect most examples of elite players just playing out the final year of the contract are players whose skills have eroded badly and are just done. I therefore predict that all of Giovinco, Altidore and Valeri will be extended or moved by the end of the summer window.
    That was a great overview, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Werent Tsubasa and Hamilton on the team last year, we didnt resign them, and now were falling back on plan b if not c because our original plans fell through
    Endoh was on a TFC2 contract for the last half of the season having not come to an arrangement with TFC after training camp. He dressed for the V-Cup final but that was all IIRC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in reality it would happen the same way here. When Beckham left MLS, he signed with PSG the day after the Galaxy season ended, was playing within days, and was widely believed to have had a handshake in place for months.
    Bosman is employment law in Europe.

Trying to use this to your advantage in any other part of the world is handshakes and whispers and turning down deals with transfer fees and signing on bonuses 6 months from expiry.

The Galaxy chose to keep him when he had 6 months left on his deal and turn down fees so he was free to negotiate wherever once they wouldn't take a fee. And he was free to sign a deal beginning Jan 1st once the Galaxy season was done. (Becks didnt sign with PSG until Jan 31st)

So once Transfer windows close in Europe in 2019 (Aug31st/Sept 2nd for the most part) TFC give up the ability to extract a transfer fee and the three DPs can negotiate in good faith but cant sign till Jan 1st 2020.

And FYI. Becks last game with the Galaxy was 1st Dec 2012 and his PSG debut was Feb 24th 2013
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 01-17-2019 at 12:08 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro interview with Osorio confirms that the Vazquez move was surprising, but was a great long-term opportunity for Vazquez and his family. Some more interesting info here: https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toro...better-player/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Chill out everyone!
    And yes, I know we have a game in about one month.
    I'm concerned for CCL but I think we are a playoff team, especially with the expansion.

We still have the best tandem up front when healthy (Altidore-Giovinco) and possibly one of the better CB'S (Mavinga-Ciman) Bradley at CDM. Morrow at LB is adequate. Auro Jr at RB is adequate. Osorio is good. We are missing an AM and depth... and every MLS team suffers from depth with the cap. Any team can suffer 4-5 injuries.

CCL/TURF/Starting in Winter is the biggest concern for me not the actual roster. Interested to see how Atlanta does if they can play a long CCL with regular season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bosman is employment law in Europe.

Trying to use this to your advantage in any other part of the world is handshakes and whispers and turning down deals with transfer fees and signing on bonuses 6 months from expiry.

The Galaxy chose to keep him when he had 6 months left on his deal and turn down fees so he was free to negotiate wherever once they wouldn't take a fee. And he was free to sign a deal beginning Jan 1st once the Galaxy season was done. (Becks didnt sign with PSG until Jan 31st)

So once Transfer windows close in Europe in 2019 (Aug31st/Sept 2nd for the most part) TFC give up the ability to extract a transfer fee and the three DPs can negotiate in good faith but cant sign till Jan 1st 2020.

And FYI. Becks last game with the Galaxy was 1st Dec 2012 and his PSG debut was Feb 24th 2013
    I stand corrected on the details, but I remember everyone talking about Beckham going to PSG long before his contract expired. Maybe he had permission....

EDIT: his original MLS contract ended in 2011 and he was originally rumoured to leave for PSG after 2011. Then he signed a 2 year deal at the end of the original deal, played one more year in LA, then went to PSG having had his contract terminated (no transfer). So pretty specialized set of facts

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...t-expires.html

It is a bit relevant in that Beckham played out his first contract right to the end. But I suspect it was Beckham, not the Galaxy, that was being coy. In that last deal Beckham was cut from $6.5M to $4M by the way.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-17-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow news day...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Slow news day...
    DCU with one of the biggest moves of the offseason so far

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...leonardo-jara/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ex Minnesota GK Alex Kapp has traveled to LA with the squad.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 01-18-2019 at 09:26 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ex Minnesota GK Alan Kapp has traveled to LA with the squad.
    Its Alex Kapp. With their USL team now at the D3 level it will be interesting to see who they land as the third GK. I would assume it would be someone young and rather inexperienced.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mourinho’s former assistant Rui Faria is becoming a Manager in Qatar ( he left Man U last year but had been with Mourinho a very long time). Clearly something going on there. I am guessing that it’s to do with increasing the quality of the play and the coaching pre 2022 as suggested earlier in the thread. And if that is the context seemingly irrational deals become more rational. So I hope VV is getting the money rumoured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Its Alex Kapp. With their USL team now at the D3 level it will be interesting to see who they land as the third GK. I would assume it would be someone young and rather inexperienced.
    Yea, fixed it. I had Alan Franco on the brain as I just read something about him before posting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DCU with one of the biggest moves of the offseason so far

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...leonardo-jara/
    Ex Minnesota GK Alex Kapp has traveled to LA with the squad.
    Just a reminder, this is the TFC off-season moves thread. There's another for non-TFC moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Just a reminder, this is the TFC off-season moves thread. There's another for non-TFC moves.
    Yes. Ex Minnesota GK Alex Kapp has traveled to LA with the squad. The squad being TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Ex Minnesota GK Alex Kapp has traveled to LA with the squad. The squad being TFC.
    Oops, sorry, I misunderstood that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kapp's played like one professional game. I like that Caleb is going to get the back-up spot (which I think he can more than fill), but I think if you're going to look at such a lacklustre 3rd keeper you better give an academy kid a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Víctor Vázquez could become a new player of Al Ahly of Qatar this Saturday. The former Barça player, who is only waiting to pass the medical examination with his new team, will leave the MLS to move on to play in Arab football. After two seasons in the Toronto (in the first he won the title), the Barcelona changes completely of airs and will sign for the next two seasons with one more optional.
    Vázquez, 31, who was playing with Jon Bakero, is counting these days with the invaluable help of Xavi Hernández, who has been in the Qatari league for a couple of years and knows the country and its customs well
    https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbo..._medium=social

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As expected, playing for Xavi's team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    As expected, playing for Xavi's team.
    What is that article saying? Al Ahly is an Egyptian team, Al Ahli is a different Qatari team, one that Nigel de Jong plays for. Al Sadd is Xavi's team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's either Xavi convinced him or facilitated the move.

And yes, It's De Jong's team he is joining.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to figure out what de Jong makes, didn’t see it in a quick search. But I did find this.

Not that anything when it comes to this stuff is verified, but if the Vazquez salary rumour were to be true, it would mean he is being paid the same or more than Wesley Sneijder is in Qatar.

Which is why I highly doubt that VV is making anything close to 4M euros.

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/421689...ienen-in-qatar
    Last edited by ensco; 01-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to figure out what de Jong makes, didn’t see it in a quick search. But I did find this.

Not that anything when it comes to this stuff is verified, but if the Vazquez salary rumour were to be true, it would mean he is being paid the same or more than Wesley Sneijder is in Qatar.

Which is why I highly doubt that VV is making anything close to 4M euros.

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/421689...ienen-in-qatar
    I never saw Euros mentioned, only dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is pretty clear that his time with TFC is almost over...

Around the 14:00 minute mark onward.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=25803797

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure sounds like he’s been told that TFC has other plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC plays games with our DPs; and leaves the table without them and just leave them in the dark, i believe we would have a horrible taste for future players and may just frighten them enough to ignore signing for our club
    Last edited by gracos; 01-19-2019 at 11:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, do you let Jozy go for free in November or do you do a deal in the summer with a team he wants to go to & maybe get a little bit back in return?

The more I listen to this the more it looks like Jozy ain't getting a new contract and this is all about how the ending is going to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    If TFC plays games with our DPs; and leaves the table without them and just leave them in the dark, i believe we would have a horrible taste for future players and may just frighten them enough to ignore signing for our club
    Ya right. We are paying them $12m guaranteed this year. They want long term deals at the number (or higher) than they make now. TFC told them no friggin way. That is not leaving them in the dark - it's telling them to earn the top tier MLS salaries they have.

I don't think future players will be frightened away by Gio making $35m approx in 5 years and Altidore what $20m plus in MLS. Players will see that as a positive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

So, do you let Jozy go for free in November or do you do a deal in the summer with a team he wants to go to & maybe get a little bit back in return?

The more I listen to this the more it looks like Jozy ain't getting a new contract and this is all about how the ending is going to happen.
    It all really depends how we're doing by July I think. If we have a reasonable shot at the playoffs everyone stays, if not then it gets blown up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Jozy will be an example of 'going cheaper'. Absolute legend but if im not mistaken he's never had a season, at least for some time, where he hasn't been injured for an extended period. Think he parts ways and we go cheaper (whether transfer or salary) but equally as effective.