Page 140 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Yeah, that was me. It was on Wikipedia that he was 20. My fault for trusting Wikipedia lol.
    No worries. He used to wear 20 as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Pozuelo's statement seems pretty strong and I'm inclined to believe the party that's daring the other to produce the written agreement.

The only hang up here seems to be whether whatever sort of gentleman's agreement they had for him to stay has any legal validity. That feels flimsy.

We need to cool it with the talk of his character and whatnot. At the end of the day if a life-changing offer is on the table for you, you change your life to take it. All that matters is if he's committed to playing his best and helping us win while he's here. Same as Seba, same as Bradley and Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Well Pozuelo's statement seems pretty strong and I'm inclined to believe the party that's daring the other to produce the written agreement.

The only hang up here seems to be whether whatever sort of gentleman's agreement they had for him to stay has any legal validity. That feels flimsy.

We need to cool it with the talk of his character and whatnot. At the end of the day if a life-changing offer is on the table for you, you change your life to take it. All that matters is if he's committed to playing his best and helping us win while he's here. Same as Seba, same as Bradley and Jozy.
    FWIW, someone was saying verbal agreements are legally binding in Belgium, though I’m not sure whether that’s true or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why? My commitment is to my team, not his well being. I think it's a perfectly legitimate to ask why someone would switch teams at this particular moment in his team's season. I'm sure Michael Bradley is asking those questions to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    No. It would be like VV and Seba leaving for a Middle East club right after we won the CCL quarters and were fighting for Supporters Shield with 2 months left. I dont think anyone would offer any level of understanding for that.
    Genk are more than 3 wins above 2nd place in the league with 5 matchdays to go. They're going to win the league regardless. As for continental play, we are literally closer to winning the CCL right now then Genk is to winning the Europa League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Im a romantic. I fall in love with with players. They are ours. I don't buy into "they are all mercenaries" . The moments they create are because when they are here they are fully committed and they are ours. Like the General. Sure there is a mercenary aspect to modern soccer. But I dont have to like it, or buy in.
    You do have to buy into it if you want to win. Football is a very competitive sport, and it's no less competitive when it comes to the management aspect and signing players. If we sit back and play nice we'll have another season with no playoffs. Besides, it's not like we're doing anything other than offering a player a better salary. I'm sure Genk have done plenty of this in the past. The football world is just as hypocritical as the outside world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozo is welcome with open arms, same as VV and Gio were.

My issue, if any, based on what we know, is with MLS/TFC, not the player.

This isn’t like 99% of transfers, where the selling team is a party to the negotiation, and you seek their permission to enter into final negotiations with the player.

There is a higher degree of difficulty here. You have to understand the existing contract without the involvement of the selling team.

This had really better be Genk being difficult. I dont want to be the league/team that just wanders around Europe wrecking leagues.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-12-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    FWIW, someone was saying verbal agreements are legally binding in Belgium, though I’m not sure whether that’s true or not.
    Wouldn't EU law trump these things?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genk are more than 3 wins above 2nd place in the league with 5 matchdays to go. They're going to win the league regardless. As for continental play, we are literally closer to winning the CCL right now then Genk is to winning the Europa League.
    I should note that they do a playoff system in the Jupiler Pro League - these 11 points are worth pretty much two wins in the league. If they beat Brugge this weekend, they will likely vault all the way up to a 14 point lead which is pretty much a 3 win head start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I should note that they do a playoff system in the Jupiler Pro League - these 11 points are worth pretty much two wins in the league. If they beat Brugge this weekend, they will likely vault all the way up to a 14 point lead which is pretty much a 3 win head start.
    I think after this weekend they will release him. I think they just want to basically ensure victory first. If Poz sues them for breach of contract, which he must feel pretty good about since he made it public and challenged Genk's claims, and he wins that lawsuit then Genk has a massive PR black eye to deal with.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Pozo is welcome with open arms, same as VV and Gio were.

My issue, if any, based on what we know, is with MLS/TFC, not the player.

This isn’t like 99% of transfers, where the selling team is a party to the negotiation, and you seek their permission to enter into final negotiations with the player.

There is a higher degree of difficulty here. You have to understand the existing contract without the involvement of the selling team.

This had really better be Genk being difficult. I dont want to be the league/team that just wanders around Europe wrecking leagues.
    So I have a Q for you since you seem very interested in the business side of this deal and would have better insight into the nuances of these thing.

Since MLS is pretty involved in contract dealings, is this MLS showing a strong arm in World Football? Being the league that gets the players they want when they want and the Belgium league is the first to feel their might? MLS first crack at being dicks on the transfer market vs being pushed around?

or is this just a debacle?

Sam Stejskal seems to think this is going to be part of the league growing up:

As MLS spends more money (and as more money is spent by foreign clubs on MLS players) these wild-ass situations will happen more often. The teams that get savvy to them quickly should put themselves in good positions. The teams that don't... could get left behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Why? My commitment is to my team, not his well being. I think it's a perfectly legitimate to ask why someone would switch teams at this particular moment in his team's season. I'm sure Michael Bradley is asking those questions to be honest.
    Don't bring Michael Bradley into this. You have your opinions, I don't get em, but you're allowed. But Michael Bradley and you aren't psychic bro-bros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDH View Post
    Don't bring Michael Bradley into this. You have your opinions, I don't get em, but you're allowed. But Michael Bradley and you aren't psychic bro-bros.
    Damn, Michael Bradley himself shows up. Welcome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    So I have a Q for you since you seem very interested in the business side of this deal and would have better insight into the nuances of these thing.

Since MLS is pretty involved in contract dealings, is this MLS showing a strong arm in World Football? Being the league that gets the players they want when they want and the Belgium league is the first to feel their might? MLS first crack at being dicks on the transfer market vs being pushed around?

or is this just a debacle?

Sam Stejskal seems to think this is going to be part of the league growing up:
    Stejskal is a good guy, I enjoy his stuff generally by the way, but this is the sort of thing that he is just being a stenographer to the league/team offices on (as virtually all MLS beat reporters do)...

We could have just had the player on January 31 or before - no drama. No "wild ass" situations. The fact that we are trying to do this business in February is 100% a function of how TFC handled Seba, and nothing else, we took Seba to the brink, and he called our bluff. This "it's part of being a player in world football" thing is fantasy.

This is pretty black and white - either the player can move after Feb 1, or he cannot.

If MLS/TFC had a reasonable basis that the player could move, all is good, Genk are just being dicks. This is what Pozo said today.

But to 100% buy that, you have to believe that Genk are willing to cause themselves legal problems/expense in the name of a PR stunt. I somehow doubt that.

It's impossible to really know what is going on. But Genk digging in like this is a very meaningful signal that they really think the player can't move.

I am not captive to MLS/TFC honchos and can debate this question more than Stejskal or whomever.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-12-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When would it be ok for him to move then? When they're not fighting for the league title? Fair enough, that means his team can't really be top 3 or 4 at the time, that's too close. What if they were in a relegation battle? Can't leave your team high and dry then right? So they can't be bottom three. It's only fair to leave when his team is middle of the pack. But wait - the Belgian league, as pointed out to me, uses a playoff system, where playoffs are used not just for the top teams to decide a league winner, but every team 7 through 15 participates to determine Europa League qualifiers, with the 16th team relegated. Those Europa League spots bring in a lot of cash for the club. Can't ditch your team when they're fighting for a spot in Europe!

So now he should really only be leaving in the summer window when the league is in its offseason. Oops, that life-changing offer with 4x your current salary that you had 4 months ago is gone because that team had to go sign someone else. You won a trophy and missed out on an extra ~$10 million over the next 3 years.

My commitment is to this team too, but I realize every player on our team is committed to themselves first, and then the team. So these things happen and the timing is what it is. Players can't control that timing and if they try to at their own expense they are fools. Go ask Ciman how he feels about putting the team first when Montreal traded him despite his family situation.

All we can ask for as fans is that you give a shit while you're here. That you're not a Van der Wiel.

What should really be telling right now is that not a word has been mentioned about any incidents regarding Pozuelo's poor attitude or commitment over his 4 years at the club. If Genk or any supporters had a prior issue with him you can bet it would be coming out now. Not a thing. And he's publicly stated his unhappiness at the situation but also his desire to keep playing until it's resolved. Sounds like a guy who gives a shit to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think after this weekend they will release him. I think they just want to basically ensure victory first. If Poz sues them for breach of contract, and he must feel pretty good about since he made it public and challenged Geno's claims, and he wins that lawsuit then Genk has a massive PR black eye to deal with.
    Again, this only guarantees them a spot in their playoffs right now. They're not guaranteed top spot and, even if they win out, it's probably going to be a 14 point lead (anything else is gravy), probably good for a 7 point lead in the 12-game playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When would it be ok for him to move then? When they're not fighting for the league title? Fair enough, that means his team can't really be top 3 or 4 at the time, that's too close. What if they were in a relegation battle? Can't leave your team high and dry then right? So they can't be bottom three. It's only fair to leave when his team is middle of the pack. But wait - the Belgian league, as pointed out to me, uses a playoff system, where playoffs are used not just for the top teams to decide a league winner, but every team 7 through 15 participates to determine Europa League qualifiers, with the 16th team relegated. Those Europa League spots bring in a lot of cash for the club. Can't ditch your team when they're fighting for a spot in Europe!

So now he should really only be leaving in the summer window when the league is in its offseason. Oops, that life-changing offer with 4x your current salary that you had 4 months ago is gone because that team had to go sign someone else. You won a trophy and missed out on an extra ~$10 million over the next 3 years.

My commitment is to this team too, but I realize every player on our team is committed to themselves first, and then the team. So these things happen and the timing is what it is. Players can't control that timing and if they try to at their own expense they are fools. Go ask Ciman how he feels about putting the team first when Montreal traded him despite his family situation.

All we can ask for as fans is that you give a shit while you're here. That you're not a Van der Wiel.

What should really be telling right now is that not a word has been mentioned about any incidents regarding Pozuelo's poor attitude or commitment over his 4 years at the club. If Genk or any supporters had a prior issue with him you can bet it would be coming out now. Not a thing. And he's publicly stated his unhappiness at the situation but also his desire to keep playing until it's resolved. Sounds like a guy who gives a shit to me.
    Some good points here. Let me let those sink in.

One thing is for sure, the Belgian League is weird.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing is for sure, the Belgian League is weird.
    For sure - it's similar to Rugby League where there's a regular season and then the league is separated into flights within the league for more matches amongst the top cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the only game, but he must be their first choice.

One of the things I've been hearing since Seba left is that our tactical approach will now change.
    Bradley seems excited about it.
    I had heard this is more in line with how Vanney wants to play (1 striker as oppose to 2).
    and it seems pressure is on Jozy to stay healthy in order for this to work.

This guy must be integral that that vision - which I could see playing out like this:

Winger ------ Jozy------Winger
    ----------Oso------Poz---------
    ------------Bradley------------
    Morrow--Moor--Mavinga--Auro
    ------------Bono---------------
    I like this. It looks a lot better when we have Mennendez and a high quality winger.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I like this. It looks a lot better when we have Mennendez and a high quality winger.
    A K I N O L A B O I S ?

But seriously, we have lots of younger options that we've never seen. I'd like to see them get a shot in this 4-1-x-x set up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I salute you. This is a gracious way to handle things when someone you disagree with says something interesting.

Carry on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You must spread some reputation around..."

Some good discussion in here. Remember when supporting this team was easy? Yah...me neither. I wouldn't have minded a 2nd title last year but I wouldn't trade our situation for the situation of Atlanta with that fan base's attitude.

There is something to be said for having to figure out every little step & seeing failures as just part of what happens.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-12-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I salute you. This is a gracious way to handle things when someone you disagree with says something interesting.

Carry on.
    He did a few things in that post:

1) Didn't attack me as a person.
    2) Didn't repeat the same argument in the nth different way (yes I understand players do things for money)
    3) Offered some rational arguments to think about.

He made me reconsider, which is what a chat board should do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He did a few things in that post:

1) Didn't attack me as a person.
    2) Didn't repeat the same argument in the nth different way (yes I understand players do things for money)
    3) Offered some rational arguments to think about.

He made me reconsider, which is what a chat board should do.
    Cheers pal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the only game, but he must be their first choice.

One of the things I've been hearing since Seba left is that our tactical approach will now change.
    Bradley seems excited about it.
    I had heard this is more in line with how Vanney wants to play (1 striker as oppose to 2).
    and it seems pressure is on Jozy to stay healthy in order for this to work.

This guy must be integral that that vision - which I could see playing out like this:

Winger ------ Jozy------Winger
    ----------Oso------Poz---------
    ------------Bradley------------
    Morrow--Moor--Mavinga--Auro
    ------------Bono---------------
    Still think people aren’t realizing how bad defensively Auro is. I think of him as more of a RW/RM. After these two signings (Menendez/Poz), I still we need one more winger, and a new RB. GVW salary is stopping us from doing one of those 2 things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Still think people aren’t realizing how bad defensively Auro is. I think of him as more of a RW/RM. After these two signings (Menendez/Poz), I still we need one more winger, and a new RB. GVW salary is stopping us from doing one of those 2 things.
    I suspect De Leon is going to be expected to play both of these positions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When would it be ok for him to move then? ...
    Well it would have been much better to move him during their window. Looking at Belgian league salaries, they could have done quite a bit with that 8 million Euros transfer fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Well it would have been much better to move him during their window. Looking at Belgian league salaries, they could have done quite a bit with that 8 million Euros transfer fee.
    Sure. In a perfect world Seba is transferred two weeks earlier and then we get this done cleanly in the window. But as I said, the timing of these things are what they are, and they're always outside the player's control, I can't fault the player for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Im a romantic. I fall in love with with players. They are ours. I don't buy into "they are all mercenaries" . The moments they create are because when they are here they are fully committed and they are ours. Like the General. Sure there is a mercenary aspect to modern soccer. But I dont have to like it, or buy in.
    I was actually waiting for this, Good on you