Page 5 of 191 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I suspect, mlse will do whatever they can, to keep Osorio, for the reasons that you give. However, if the team believes it has another shot at contention, before losing our current designated players, than they will do what is needed to bolster our weaknesses, at least in the short turn. If, they go the trade route, I cannot think of any player more attractive than Osorio. If Waston isn’t available, perhaps another, highly rated defender. What are the options? What would Delgado, or Chapman, or Auro fetch? We don’t want to give up on Moor or Morrow, do we? The team can pick up another offensive piece, or two, and hopefully, get lucky like Atlanta did. Finding a star defender is much harder, and would require a bit of a sacrifice.
    Otherwise, keep Osorio, keep Seba and Mavinga, start rebuilding, bust up the team abd work on a five year plan (that may be the preferred route).
    Moor plus funny-money for Walker Zimmermann sounds interesting; obviously a HUGE sacrifice/gamble… but, as you say, always sell a year early, rather than too late—Moor, himself, said he'll take this off-season to try and get healthy enough to start consistently for 2019, AT LEAST (I think he knows the end is nigh, the way he emphasized that last bit).

Not sure how practical this is, but we might have the inside track on Zimmermann, given our "connections" to LAFC (Bradley, Beita, Kaye).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zimmerman is about to reach the end of his MLS contract, so LAFC won't be trading him.
    According to the SB report, his agent is looking overseas, he wants to double his 250 grand contract.

https://www.angelsonparade.com/2018/...premier-league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not “him” but his rights can still be moved within the league. In a convoluted, MLS kind of way.

Agent ploy looking overseas is par for the course (although i’d sssume legit interest). You’ll recall Osorio’s agent did something similar. It’s becoming more common since these guys need a way to put pressure on their current clubs since their ability to play MLS teams off against each other is limited.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-01-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Okay, notwithstanding he generally has an axe to grind with certain players, I do worry we overpaid for a contract-year-performance.

Let’s hope it’s onward and upward from here. It’s not like management has shown to be overly sentimental when resigning guys. He’ll have to continue to put in the work.
    People in MLSE working on analytics may focus on an Osorio factoid....after his contract, he was given a day off in Portland, then, proceeded in scoring one goal, getting two assists, and taking four shots on goal, in his last six starts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would Oso not count as an international player for the US MLS teams? Don’t believe he has ever been considered a home grown player.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m telling you guys, Walker Zimmerman is that CB (depending on contract expectations). He’s been unable to reach a deal with LAFC and could be an absolute rock in the middle for years to come. It sounds like if this doesn’t work out he’s off to Europe.

Forget Waston, a guy who has discipline issues, can’t pass all that well, may well be a head case, and is 5 years older.
    Didn't know Zimmermann is having contract issues. Thanks for this. He's definitely a good cb and would be a good pick up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    People in MLSE working on analytics may focus on an Osorio factoid....after his contract, he was given a day off in Portland, then, proceeded in scoring one goal, getting two assists, and taking four shots on goal, in his last six starts.
    So since there were *9* games from Portland to the end of the season, what happened in the other three?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    So since there were *9* games from Portland to the end of the season, what happened in the other three?
    Actually 8 games after Portland but Oso didn't play in D.C.

So in 7 games played he got 1 goal and 2 assists post contract, goal and assist in same game so points in 2 out of the 7. Didn't have an impact down the stretch but was the man in CCL.

I think a TAM contract for Oso makes a number of people uneasy since he had one big year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“We need players who can play in wide areas” Raheem, and to some extent Hasler.

i agree, but many commented during the season that we had too many similar midfield players. We do. Players not built for wide areas.

Secondly, the reference to leadership in the locker room, and character, is very direct. I wonder who they are referring to. Would love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Bez and Manning speaking to media right now. Vanney soon. Rather than clutter this with a bunch of tweets I'll summarize.

Bez:

- We're going to take a close look at how we approach pre-season and crafting the schedule with the league.
    - Discussions will be held with the DPs about their contracts (as per Joshua Kloke it sounds like these discussions haven't been had yet).
    - Don't expect a massive overhaul in the roster.
    - Really missed Moor and Mavinga. Need more consistency in defensive line and depth needs to be better when needed to step up.
    - Off-season priority is "finding guys that can keep balls out of the back of our net".
    - Talks about Aketxe's future are ongoing.
    - Feels both Auro & Janson want to be back.
    - Adding a CB during the summer window was never a consideration because the team thought they'd be getting Moor and Mavinga back from injury.
    - Heading into next year the club has 13 guaranteed contracts, 11 options, 2 players out of contract, 1 free agent and 2 loan options. There are decisions to be made and some of these decisions will likely make room for needed roster upgrades.

Manning:

- We want to be a club that competes in multiple championships. We need to be better in rotating the squad. Larger base of available players will be needed.
    - Last year the team had a singular focus: Win MLS Cup. We lost that singular focus after losing CCL.
    - The team needs to get back to making defense a priority.
    - Have to improve the defense; looking to bring in someone that can command the backline.
    - Also want to add an attacking player; can't count on Osorio to have another goal-scoring season like this one
    - We will be amongst the highest spenders in the league thanks to MLSE. They've given us the leeway to spend.
    - Moor and Mavinga only played twice together all year.
    - "Not at all" a discussion to bring in a new coach.
    - Grass at BMO has already been ripped up. Hybrid pitch being installed. We made "a series of errors" in regards to the pitch that negatively impacted our players. Tried to grow grass at the end of last season instead of laying down sod, the CCL games at the start of the year really tore that up.
    - We have to improve TFC II. Putting them in new USL League One gives them a better environment for success. They will be playing at the BMO Training Ground.
    - No CCL matches at Rogers Centre.

Vanney:

- Learned a lot from last year, especially in regards to CCL. Need to find the right pieces this off-season, including in terms of character and leadership.
    - Went to Mexico for pre-season to play good opponents and train at altitude, but the intensity at which you can train goes down. Will stay at sea level for this pre-season.
    - We never really got healthy or built momentum this season.
    - We need players that can play in wide areas. If you can't make opponents respect the wide areas, you can't play through the middle.
    - We had a lot of blocks of playing six games in 18 days, more than anyone in league history. Risk of injury goes up 33% in those blocks. We were in a cycle of running players into the ground.
    - Not been contacted about vacant U.S. men's national team job

Will continue editing as quotes come in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Actually 8 games after Portland but Oso didn't play in D.C.
    He played 90 in Campeones Cup as well. 2 shots on that game. That's the 9th game.

And if the complaint is about his shots, it was only the last three he played in that he didn't take a shot. It's not like he suddenly tapered off.

The framing of the argument - "in his last 6 games he only took 3 shots" - is deceiving. Until the last 3 he was statistically doing the same things. It's not like he signed his contract and quit playing. He had 3 games at the end of a dead season where he carried the team along with Giovinco and Bradley, where he didn't pad his stats.
    Last edited by paul-collins; 11-01-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oslo had a fabulous year and demonstrated his quality. He earned the contract. I loved his play and I have always wanted him to succeed. But: given Manning and Vanney’s comments at the year end press conference, the contract is puzzling. They indicated that they are not depending on Oso to be as productive in front of the net next year, and that they need players who can add width (and I assume pace). Both make perfect sense and are consistent with what we have observed. But on the assumption that they signed Oso to keep him, the team is crowded with similarly skilled midfielders - Chapman for example is good on the ball but doesn’t give anything different really to Oso VV or Marky when he comes on, other than fresh legs, unlike Raheem or Hasler. Given the glaring need for a CB and for speed/ width, at least one of these players has to be going. I think it’s more likely to be Marky as he is American but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Oso was signed to be sold. His technical skills might be valued elsewhere and he might be ready for an adventure.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 11-02-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    He played 90 in Campeones Cup as well. 2 shots on that game. That's the 9th game.

And if the complaint is about his shots, it was only the last three he played in that he didn't take a shot. It's not like he suddenly tapered off.

The framing of the argument - "in his last 6 games he only took 3 shots" - is deceiving. Until the last 3 he was statistically doing the same things. It's not like he signed his contract and quit playing. He had 3 games at the end of a dead season where he carried the team along with Giovinco and Bradley, where he didn't pad his stats.
    Ive tried hard to forget the Campeones Cup my bad on that.

I don't think he quit playing after signing the contract either but I do think he was less effective from September onwards, I thought he looked tired down the stretch-given his increased minutes this year not unexpected, he looked frustrated and with Janson on the pitch it seemed to me he was getting fewer touches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he quit playing after signing the contract either but I do think he was less effective from September onwards, I thought he looked tired down the stretch-given his increased minutes this year not unexpected, he looked frustrated and with Janson on the pitch it seemed to me he was getting fewer touches.
    I think that’s fair. Bradley looked tired to me too.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way Osorio gets traded. He's only going to get better. Besides being a good player, his attitude is excellent, a real plus in the locker room.

Delgado and Irwin are the most likely players to get traded, both of them would be of interest to US teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair comment, and that's the way I see it also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reports in the Brazilian press say Sao Paulo are fully expecting TFC to execute their option on Auro. The price, at current exchange rates, is ~685,000 USD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    No way Osorio gets traded. He's only going to get better. Besides being a good player, his attitude is excellent, a real plus in the locker room.

Delgado and Irwin are the most likely players to get traded, both of them would be of interest to US teams.
    Delgado possibly to get traded, yes. He has value. Irwin's stock may have declined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be interesting to see if our new back three is Mavinga Morrow and. VDW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt we pick up Irwin's option. He'll go through the Re-Entry Draft (he's still 2 years away from free agent eligibility).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Havard Nordtveit is being looked at, there was the picture of Bez and the scout at Hoffenheim, and on the Come on you Reds pod they mentioned the two had been away for the month trying to improve the club. He mainly plays center back, but can slot into the right, and into midfield. He has only played 297 minutes this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Reports in the Brazilian press say Sao Paulo are fully expecting TFC to execute their option on Auro. The price, at current exchange rates, is ~685,000 USD.
    Seems a bit high at face value. But, admittedly, he has potential and MLS purse strings aren’t as tight as they used to be.

Maybe this is the new normal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems a bit high at face value. But, admittedly, he has potential and MLS purse strings aren’t as tight as they used to be.

Yea, the fee plus salary is bit steep but MLS HQ will probably up TAM again in the off season. And then there is the rumored massive budget bump coming with the new CBA in 2020. So, meh, whatever.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that in Brazil, the "price" is a starting point for negotiations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think thats a bit high..hopefully they can get that down to about 400k..the clubs in SA are kinda desperate for cash these days.and i think they can amortize the transfer fee over the length of his contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do folk think of Bono? Will he bounce back after a confidence shattering season? That was the most goals conceded in franchise history if I am not mistaken.

I'd be pretty nervous putting all our eggs in his basket for next season.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He'll be learning from GvW and Morrow.
    Both really good players to mentor him at his position.

As I've said many times before though - he needs to stay fit. otherwise - the price is too high

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    What do folk think of Bono? Will he bounce back after a confidence shattering season? That was the most goals conceded in franchise history if I am not mistaken.

I'd be pretty nervous putting all our eggs in his basket for next season.
    Hopefully he does. I think this season was a wakeup call for him. He's good, but still has a lot to learn. When Drew Moor (or his replacement) comes back - he should do better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Delgado possibly to get traded, yes. He has value. Irwin's stock may have declined.
    No way - He's a USMNT player. Second string yes, but has potential to be first string if he has a development year like Osorio did this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so fast?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not seeing anything in that indicating anything beyond gratitude and "we will see".

Not revealing at all.