Page 183 of 191 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,490 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by metaxa View Post
    Signing Jozy to 4 years? He will probably play 3 years if lucky, a good year or more in injuries
    Stranger things have happened,

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone would take less (i.e. move 'down' to TAM level money) I could see it being Bradley in order to strengthen the team as a whole.

Now, with that being said, do I think it will actually happen? No, but as someone wrote in the game thread yesterday .. "I am anticipating the inevitable, but hoping for the improbable."
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    I get the feeling (depending on the financial details) that we may be overpaying for Jozy (and giving in to his demands) simply because of what happened with Seba. I imagine MLSE were a little worried about any backlash from the fans and what would happen if he did leave. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player when fit and on his game but a 4yr extension seems a little nuts.
    Actually, if he isn't injured, four years is totally reasonable. Management would have his medical records, I'm sure they have a good idea.

He wasn't renewed for the fans. If they wanted to sign someone just for the fans they would have re-signed Seba at Saudi wages. Jozy is actually key to the direction and formation TFC want to play (Seba isn't). They will be playing very much a Pep Guardiola formation and style.

What they need is an impact forward (Jozy), a creative midfielder who is also a goal-scoring threat (Pozo), a minimum of one fast winger (TAM signing), preferably two. If they do that the offense is set and Vanney's plan is achievable. We may not see this come into place until the summer window, unfortunately.

My main concern is actually the defense. The team looks slow and not communicating enough. This may improve with more time together and with a better offense (which will keep opposing teams from throwing everything forward), but it's still quite a worry. I hope they have a plan to address that because Ciman in particular looks dubious at the moment, and the rest is not what it needs to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley doesn't deserve to make more than 1.5 mill and even that's a stretch at this point. They need to use a DP spot on a winger next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here, Here ... was at the game and Shoeless yesterday. Saw Coach Miller there.

Those watching on TV, Deleon looked really good with Auro on the right. Was that just me ... I wish they did more in the final third unlocking someone but that was encouraging. moving Poz in the middle and Jozy breaks that game open.

To Jozy retiring a Red!

COYRs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Just to head off the hate fest, which I don't understand....

There is zero chance Jozy is a TAM signing. Are you not paying attention? Poz cost USD $30M all in. That is around what Vargas from Tigres would have cost Portland.

Jozy is like the fifth highest scorer in MLS in his time here, and nobody in league history is close in clutch scoring.

The price of eggs isn’t what you want it to be, it's what it actually is. Get real guys.

Strikers with pedigree make a ton. Jozy probably got extended at his current number. If it wasn't for the injuries he'd get $10M a year somewhere like Gio did.
    personally I think that three years is the perfect length of contract. It guarantees us Jozy for the 2019 season. Gives us leverage for 2020 when we sell him to the Miami pinkos. This should be the healthiest year that Jozy will have. All healed up on team that has learned how to handle his muscular injuries. use him, up his value. Then move him to Miami. He finishes his time in his home state,, and TFC get a boatload of AM out of the move. There is no where else we could move him that would get us such a high return. Miami will want a Hometown star to lead the way. He is still the best U.S. born striker around. He will make a great signature player for them. after TFC kicks it's last ball in anger we will likely sell him.
    If J-Hams has a .9/90 season we may promote him to number one striker. otherwise I still see us getting Larin. there is no one like him out there. Cavalini is three years older and has never actually done it in MLS. Larin is a known 20 plus goal scorer in MLS. He is a Canadian. He will cost more than VWFC it IMFC are willing to pay. David is five years younger unproven and still hoping for a big UEFA pay day.

Regarding Bradley I don't think we need to do any gymnastics. The PA and MLS will not let us muck around with his numbers. We should be able to simply re-sign him to a new deal, say three years at 1 million. This gives him security, rewards him, lets us start to transition into the Fraser and Okelle years. I would prefer three years at 750, given how much we overpayed the last four years. I don't think it will happen though. Bradley knows he isn't what he was, and likely has a very clear idea of his present salary worth.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Bradley doesn't deserve to make more than 1.5 mill and even that's a stretch at this point. They need to use a DP spot on a winger next year.
    You can get a solid winger on TAM. No need to cut Bradley's wages. He's very much the heart of the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can get a solid defensive mid on less than a tam salary

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley next year at TAM seems reasonable, especially given the rumblings are the 3rd DP is being replaced with TAM for the next CBA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bradley next year at TAM seems reasonable, especially given the rumblings are the 3rd DP is being replaced with TAM for the next CBA.
    This is probably the plan. Have to see what the rules on TAM are but I don't think it will be capped at a certain salary like now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to head off the hate fest, which I don't understand....

There is zero chance Jozy is a TAM signing. Are you not paying attention? Poz cost USD $30M all in. That is around what Vargas from Tigres would have cost Portland.

Jozy is like the fifth highest scorer in MLS in his time here, and nobody in league history is close in clutch scoring.

The price of eggs isn’t what you want it to be, it's what it actually is. Get real guys.

Strikers with pedigree make a ton. Jozy probably got extended at his current number. If it wasn't for the injuries he'd get $10M a year somewhere like Gio did.
    People don’t understand the concept of buying players in MLS. If you want a talented player you either need to pay a young guy from South America or some other league for a boatload knowing it’s possible he doesn’t pan out, because they know they won’t get that money in Europe. You also have to deal with the fact their leagues are entirely different, they’ll be away from home, they may not like the weather or lifestyle here, etc. Or, you find a rehab prospect or a bench player in Europe. You’re not going to get world class talents or even remotely close to that even if you offered them an extreme amount of money. Seba was the highest paid Italian in the world when he signed for TFC. That certainly didn’t make him the best Italian in the world.

People seem to expect MLSE to be able to acquire any player just because they have money. For every Seba there is going to be a guy on the bench who won’t make it here or has a shitty attitude. For every Almiron, there’s guys who are homesick or can’t hack it in a different league.

Jozy is a great DP striker for MLS when fit. If he has had all the right surgeries and can put in the work here I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want him here. Ship him off, bring someone else in, and you always risk having them turn out awful anyway. But I think people misunderstand the purpose of TAM and who you can sign on TAM, or underestimate the type of salaries you need to pay talented players to get them here in the first place.

It’s like getting angry that young English players are of inflated value in the prem or that transfer fees are getting higher and higher. MLS gets players here by overpaying them, not by lowballing them.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    J-Hams has a .9/90 season
    Your scenario is reasonable, but this made me laugh. I don't have much faith in Hamilton's ability to consistently find the net.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^This is the kind of thing I am talking about. It's a 3 year extension. He will be 32 when it's done. Same age Seba is now. He will get hurt for sure during the life of the deal. Same as Seba got hurt here at age 30 and 31, repeatedly.

What exactly is nuts about that?
    Okay but brushing over the “both were injured” tag for a second. Jozy played 13 regular season games last year, Giovinco was still playing 25ish games a year when hurt. That’s a huge difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Your scenario is reasonable, but this made me laugh. I don't have much faith in Hamilton's ability to consistently find the net.
    As an every game starter? Absolutely. But as a frequent substitute or fill-in guy? I’d question why you wouldn’t.

He’s been pretty reasonable in every extended stint he’s been given in terms of putting the ball in the net. Perhaps it’s time for the coaching staff to acknowledge that and stop gifting opportunities to those who do less with them (aka Spencer and similar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Okay but brushing over the “both were injured” tag for a second. Jozy played 13 regular season games last year, Giovinco was still playing 25ish games a year when hurt. That’s a huge difference.
    Other than last year, Altidore played about 25 games as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could this be our next winger?

Saief hopes for MLS

WEDNESDAY, 27 FEBRUARY 2019, 05:56
    TRANSFERS
    -
    Kenny Saief is tired of his sitter status, so he hopes for a transfer to America or Canada. A club from the MLS would already show interest in renting Saief for the next four months. The transfer market is still open until 1 May.

Will Saief return to his native country the coming week? RSC Anderlecht want to participate in a transfer.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As an every game starter? Absolutely. But as a frequent substitute or fill-in guy? I’d question why you wouldn’t.

He’s been pretty reasonable in every extended stint he’s been given in terms of putting the ball in the net. Perhaps it’s time for the coaching staff to acknowledge that and stop gifting opportunities to those who do less with them (aka Spencer and similar).
    He's scored 2 or 3 goals per season as a sub, despite getting a decent number of starts in 2016 and 2018 (2017 he didn't get any). I've seen lots of situations where he looks lost and out of sync. I just don't have much faith in him other than maybe in CCL games against the lower-tier teams. His career goals/90 is ~0.3. I don't expect that to triple with more playing time. I don't think he's going to suddenly become a source of consistent goals for TFC, but I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't it recently come out that Jozy played through the foot issues for a while? If true:

1. He was productive even with the injury. Imagine a healthy Jozy. (And there are people who want him for TAM, LOL.)

2. This was a long-standing issue that culminated in a significant procedure/recovery period. It's reasonable to assume he doesn't miss this sort of time again (if subsequent issues are nipped in the bud).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's scored 2 or 3 goals per season as a sub, despite getting a decent number of starts in 2016 and 2018 (2017 he didn't get any). I've seen lots of situations where he looks lost and out of sync. I just don't have much faith in him other than maybe in CCL games against the lower-tier teams. His career goals/90 is ~0.3. I don't expect that to triple with more playing time. I don't think he's going to suddenly become a source of consistent goals for TFC, but I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong.
    But as a sub, getting a goal every 3rd game isn’t that bad. You’re not going to find anybody who is going to give you 1 in 2, unless we start thinking about paying a lot more than we’re paying Hamilton / Boyd.

I agree intangibles could be better and he’ll have to show improvement. But think he’s capable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looked more like Seba in previous years. Some injuries but mostly played.

The really debate is that Jozy played on a broken foot in 2017 MLS playoffs and CCL, and wrecked his 2018 season as a byproduct of that.

This is the toughest part of sports. Players give themselves up for the team and get screwed for it. Will Johnson. For NBA fans, Isaiah Thomas might be the ultimate example - cost himself $150M or something by playing hurt for the Celtics.

I am glad we didn’t go down that road, even though we would have understood it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of seems like exactly what Toronto would be looking for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a J-Hams Question....
    From what I see, when he's been called on he stepped up and nets some goals. Not easy when the coaching staff keeps bumping you down the pecking order and you play so sporadically.
    Is there an issue with his fitness or attitude that keeps him from getting an actual shot as a starter on this squad? Like it was said earlier, he is leagues ahead of players like Spencer.

Edit: Ok maybe not a starter, but the go to 3rd striker
    Last edited by GhostKiller; 02-27-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Didn't it recently come out that Jozy played through the foot issues for a while? If true:

1. He was productive even with the injury. Imagine a healthy Jozy. (And there are people who want him for TAM, LOL.)

2. This was a long-standing issue that culminated in a significant procedure/recovery period. It's reasonable to assume he doesn't miss this sort of time again (if subsequent issues are nipped in the bud).
    The assumption being his issues were acute and not chronic. Listening to The on footy talks it sounds likely that his issue is chronic. If his issue is chronic, he has worn away the cartilage in his ankles by being such a big guy and doing all the running on them, then this never actually goes away. It may be that at best his symptoms get managed.
    I always thought that a move to Miami was the most likely course. Especially when Duane Rollins was mentioning that Miami were kicking his tires this off season. Now that we have him under contract this seems to be a very likely scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kenny doesn't put the ball in the back of the net enough to help TFC out. He also might be too expensive for a tam deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said it was the most likely outcome, just the only one that I could see possibly stopping us from getting Larin. Think J-Hams having a .5-.6/90 season on 12-1400 minutes is not unreasonable. All he needs to do is progress. He is still young enough and unseasoned enough that progression is not only possible but likely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anybody else notice the chimney going full blast at the end of the game last night?

"Oh look, they signed Pozuelo."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wynne View Post

Kind of seems like exactly what Toronto would be looking for
    Isn't he also currently in Belgium....Short trip for Curtis if thats so. Watch the allocation list. I wouldn't be surprised if the list is updated shortly and his name appears on it. When that happens we know where he's going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Kenny doesn't put the ball in the back of the net enough to help TFC out. He also might be too expensive for a tam deal.
    He's a .3/90 winger in a better league when playing. His value is also tanking as long as he sits. If they want to move him we may get him on a free.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Did anybody else notice the chimney going full blast at the end of the game last night?

"Oh look, they signed Pozuelo."
    I turned in 111 and said the same thing with the white smoke billowing out
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostKiller View Post
    I have a J-Hams Question....
    From what I see, when he's been called on he stepped up and nets some goals. Not easy when the coaching staff keeps bumping you down the pecking order and you play so sporadically.
    Is there an issue with his fitness or attitude that keeps him from getting an actual shot as a starter on this squad? Like it was said earlier, he is leagues ahead of players like Spencer.

Edit: Ok maybe not a starter, but the go to 3rd striker
    His overall game is shit. Aside from that goal (which was a crap shot 50/50 ball into the box that he managed to get to), he wasn't visible on the pitch. He's not a striker that does dangerous things to the opposing defence. He doesn't create chances. His positioning is meh.