Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 34 - Atlanta @ TFC Sunday Oct 28 4:30pm - When All Else Fails..

We'll always have Toques

Have at It People

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be it for Ashtone Morgan.

Let's do this right.

Ashtone starts and comes out in the 89th minute to a standing ovation.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not gonna lie, I love my free Kia toques

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think you'll have to be too early to get a free toque on Sunday.... sigh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This may be it for Ashtone Morgan.

Let's do this right.

Ashtone starts and comes out in the 89th minute to a standing ovation.
    You think so? Every team needs a guy or two that rounds out a squad for minimal money / minimal opportunity to play. Those positions are pretty unattractive to most pros. Having a local guy take it who actually appreciates it is a bonus. I would think his spot is safe.

The entire country can’t produce a fullback to save its life. He’s only there to be a third option and plug holes. Good enough, IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You think so? Every team needs a guy or two that rounds out a squad for minimal money / minimal opportunity to play. Those positions are pretty unattractive to most pros. Having a local guy take it who actually appreciates it is a bonus. I would think his spot is safe.

The entire country can’t produce a fullback to save its life. He’s only there to be a third option and plug holes. Good enough, IMO.
    Seconded.

Hopefully we can keep ATL from surpassing our points record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I don’t disagree but I think every single non-core player is at serious risk. We have lost 18 games this year. There had to be real change.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beware road rail and subway closures

Gardiner shuttered
    Yonge line shut from Lawrence to St Clair
    Dufferin buses stopping at the loop
    Parkside shut near the lake
    GO Lakeshore W doing the diversion around Exhibition and Mimico...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I don’t disagree but I think every single non-core player is at serious risk. We have lost 18 games this year. There had to be real change.
    It baffles me how so many sports fans and supporters fail to recognize this. There are very few professional teams that remain at the top for more than a few years. The smartly run ones, rebuild quickly, and find there path to contention much quicker, than teams that hold on to players that are no longer at, or near, their prime.
    It took the Jays 9 years to win big, then miraculously did it again, then collapsed for 25 years. Arguably, one could draw a similar comparison to TFC. Long build, great achievements....now what? Tinkering with this team, or rebuild? It is always a hard decision. I could see them moving every player except Seba, Altidore and Mavinga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    It is always a hard decision. I could see them moving every player except Seba, Altidore and Mavinga.
    I'd keep Bradley too - this year has been an outlier primarily because of the failed CD experiment (out of necessity).

I think at this point they've rolled the dice on both VV and Jozy and have decided to try to fix them up. Beyond Mavinga, Bradley and Seba I don't see anyone who is safe. (I would argue that Osorio is at risk because there might actually be interest in him elsewhere, but the rest are going to have to earn their keep in preseason training)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post

Gardiner shuttered
    Will make the getting of that toque even sweeter...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take the “next year” speculation to a different thread.

On the chance that this is it for Ashtone, I would like him to play, and be recognized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll use the post Nelson years as an example. We sure pruned the hedges but we didn’t make it to the top by a discarding everyone.

I’m in favour of big changes, generally. I don’t think counting on the durability of Vasquez or Altidore is smart. Bradley and Seba are depreciating assets. It’s hard to keep a straight face and say our best players were good enough this year. That to me is nearly as big of an issue as CB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's 2020 business. None of those guys are leaving, ex maybe Altidore, as they are overpaid, maybe even wildly overpaid.

Not my money, I love them all and can more than live with it.

But I fear it means a housecleaning wherever possible. which puts probably 5 or 6 of Ashtone, Chapman, Hamilton, Hagglund, Zavaleta, Auro, Janson, maybe even Moor or vdW at risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Jays let go all of their best players after the second World Series and never invested in winning again, at least not for nearly 20 years. No really a comparison here. We are talking about other players and finding a balance between plugging holes ie a younger Drew Moor and not completely destroying team chemistry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the chance that this is it for Ashtone, I would like him to play, and be recognized.
    Indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I think the message on Sunday is simple. “Thank you”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could dig up some photos to help me recall this, but in the early days , after the final home game, the players would take the time to walk around the perimeter and applaud ALL the fans. In recent years, with playoffs looming, this has vanished (which is fair enough, we all enjoyed winning the Cup 2017 and all the shock of Cup 2016 did not lend itself to salutes). There is also a tendency to go and applaud the supporters in the south end only, when any salute is done.
    Any thoughts about going back to a full field walk around at games end?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post

Gardiner shuttered

its gonna be cold. will feel like 2 with north winds
    80% chance of 5-10mm rain
    no jozy no vv
    not in playoffs

can you possibly design a worse game to go to? maybe if opponent was San Jose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    I could dig up some photos to help me recall this, but in the early days , after the final home game, the players would take the time to walk around the perimeter and applaud ALL the fans. In recent years, with playoffs looming, this has vanished (which is fair enough, we all enjoyed winning the Cup 2017 and all the shock of Cup 2016 did not lend itself to salutes). There is also a tendency to go and applaud the supporters in the south end only, when any salute is done.
    Any thoughts about going back to a full field walk around at games end?

I actually recall crowds being on the actual pitch at the end, think it was first or second season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was season one, the turf was artificial and security looked the other way. The pitch invasion was certainly hyped by Dichio's wonder goal.
    Pitch changed, security has never been that lax since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    That was season one, the turf was artificial and security looked the other way. The pitch invasion was certainly hyped by Dichio's wonder goal.
    Pitch changed, security has never been that lax since.
    Last activity on this turf anyway, Argos are done their home schedule...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    its gonna be cold. will feel like 2 with north winds
    80% chance of 5-10mm rain
    no jozy no vv
    not in playoffs

can you possibly design a worse game to go to? maybe if opponent was San Jose
    Haha. Love your list of reasons to (not) go. Even though I will still be there you got to wonder why some of us would put ourselves through all that....guess we always will have our free toque which I missed out on the last two years even though I was still in the stadium before the kickoff. If I miss out on it this year and all your predictions come true I might be kicking myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Haha. Love your list of reasons to (not) go. Even though I will still be there you got to wonder why some of us would put ourselves through all that....guess we always will have our free toque which I missed out on the last two years even though I was still in the stadium before the kickoff. If I miss out on it this year and all your predictions come true I might be kicking myself.

I can put up with the rain and cold and no jozy no vv but the killer is no go train, combined with gardiner closures it's gonna take 1.5 hours to get home. normally a 5 minute go train

Gardiner Expressway CLOSED from Highway 427 to DVP Friday, October 26 11pm to Monday, October 29 5am due to construction. Delays of up to 1 hour on Lake Shore and severe traffic delays throughout Toronto. No subway Line 1 St Clair to Lawrence October 27-28. No subway Line 2 St George to Broadview October 28 before 10am
    Last edited by stevep; 10-24-2018 at 05:57 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashtone is a class act , and has gone far , considering he went to a high school that wanted to drop soccer . He never had the pampering of many ‘starlets’ in MLS and across the waters . He simply worked hard with what he had and did a marvellous job with what he was given . Never saw him yell at his teammates , like some on this team . I’m glad he could get a return in a sport he loved and on TFC , which he loved .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    I can put up with the rain and cold and no jozy no vv but the killer is no go train, combined with gardiner closures it's gonna take 1.5 hours to get home. normally a 5 minute go train

Gardiner Expressway CLOSED from Highway 427 to DVP Friday, October 26 11pm to Monday, October 29 5am due to construction. Delays of up to 1 hour on Lake Shore and severe traffic delays throughout Toronto. No subway Line 1 St Clair to Lawrence October 27-28. No subway Line 2 St George to Broadview October 28 before 10am
    How is many times can TO shoot itself in the foot before it’s crippled . Nice that zero politicians or media even question this ridiculousness at election time . And then there’s a Ford drunk on dollar beers . Our cities fans are incredible to fight this every event .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we have to win and hope the NYRB lose or draw to have our best ever MLS point total usurped just one year later. I find that hard to take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I miss some news about Morgan leaving?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Did I miss some news about Morgan leaving?
    It is pure speculation at this point but he is out of contract at the end of the season and with more obvious hole that need patching, odds our Sunday will be his final game as a Red. We could be wrong but I doubt it. Look for both him and Irwin to get curtain call starts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be nice to see Moor & Mavinga actually play together. Without Almiron, Atlanta has issues moving the ball forward. Especially on that cow patch of a pitch.

This is not going to be pretty football.

Its not

TFC unless its raining

TFC unless the GO trains stop

TFC unless the subway is partially closed

TFC unless its warm

TFC unless the pitch is crap

TFC unless we are not in the playoffs

TFC unless the Toques run out

Its TFC till I Die

Well if we are in here, we ain't dead.

TFC till I die is really easy when the team is winning, on a good pitch, in the suumer, with the offence humming and the defence solid.

I don't go to TFC games because its easy

I go to TFC games because its my team

Hope to hear you all from 221 on Sunday