Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We were getting killed on both wings. Thus go to a 3-5-2. Actually made some sense and stopped Montreal pretty effectively. That the choice of the 3rd CB is so bad is a mix of 2 players seriously regressing & the team not getting a decent 4th CB in.

Brain farts cost us this game, all over the pitch. Janson miss, Seba miss, Delgado passes to give away plays, Osorio under passing a number of players, Chapman & Auro slowing things down too much, Bradley hesitating, Morgan unable to stop a 36 year old getting past him. Passing was some of the worse we've seen all season. Everybody looked tired.

VDW & Mavinga were decent enough in defence and Bono had a good game until he lost his head on that one.
    True , it’s depressing they don’t have the desire to even play for this moral victory game . So , if we don’t have the starters (cb) or bench who’s to blame ? It will take hard decisions to reignite the past desire to win every ball , and win as a team . After today I have my doubts on next year , sadly .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The other options

Hagglund

or

stick with the 4-4-2 and watch Morgan get beaten ever more as he tires (subbing him for Telfer as a LB would be equally bad)

Both of those were probably worse ideas.
    Sorry, Og, I appreciate your contributions to the board, and usually find you a voice of wisdom, but in this case, we will have to agree to disagree. As soon as he came on, I asked myself, how long will it take Zavs to cough up a goal. And he did not disappoint--I think it was 90 seconds max. Strategically, I think your analysis above is correct, but Zavs has come on a bunch of times late in the game this year, and either gotten beat, given up a penalty, or just fallen down, leading to a goal, sometimes at a critical point. It just seemed to me that any other option was better than having him come on, with the end result of keeping alive Montreal's hope of making the playoffs alive almost inevitable.

Well, I hope the team plays a bit better next week against Atlanta and keeps a piece of the all time points record. And then on to next year, which will hopefully be better :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I saw Zavaleta sub in, I thought "Oh crap." If Hagglund had subbed in I wouldn't have had the same reaction. I don't see how Zavaleta can stay at his current skill level and salary. If he's still here next year, I'll have to assume its nepotism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We made the wrong off season changes and Bono isn't ready for prime time, skilled as he is.

Why oh why would anyone ever break up one of the best back lines in league history? It probably came across as pretty merciless to a team that just nailed down a treble. Maybe all the money-and-aging issues this year had more to do with the lack of fight than anything.
    You might have a point. Steven Beitashour very nearly died for us, and we had to replace him with three players if you include Hasler.

While I would credit Auro and VDW for their play during the champions league run, for the rest of the season, VDW seemed to play without passion. Not only did we we miss the stability in defense all year we really missed a guy who was symbolic of never giving up.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 10-21-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    You might have a point. Steven Beitashour very nearly died for us, and we had to replace him with three players if you include Hasler.

While I would credit Auro and VDW for their play during the champions league run, for the rest of the season, VDW seemed to play without passion. Not only did we we miss the stability in defense all year we really missed a guy who was symbolic of never giving up.
    It will take five years to rebuild a championship contender, and sadly, it has to begin with a new manager. Vanney was incapable of motivating this team, made so many poor player selections and substitutions, used ineffective tactics, and seldom made correct in game adjustments, when things were not going so well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We made the wrong off season changes and Bono isn't ready for prime time, skilled as he is.

Why oh why would anyone ever break up one of the best back lines in league history? It probably came across as pretty merciless to a team that just nailed down a treble. Maybe all the money-and-aging issues this year had more to do with the lack of fight than anything.
    You mean like that crazy thing we did the year before, where we took a team that dominated the MLS Cup game, and let a heart-and-soul Canadian, who broke his leg for us, go, and replaced him with a Spanish guy who couldn’t get off the bench in Mexico but made 4x what the Canadian did?

They swung the bat. Sometimes you miss badly.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    It will take five years to rebuild a championship contender, and sadly, it has to begin with a new manager. Vanney was incapable of motivating this team, made so many poor player selections and substitutions, used ineffective tactics, and seldom made correct in game adjustments, when things were not going so well.
    Please give it up with the Vanney hate. I get it, you never liked him. But 95%+ of TFC fans will disagree with you. Vanney won us the MLS Cup and his tactics and team management were a big part of that. At that time you argued that the manager made no difference, it was all the team. Now you are arguing its the manager when they are losing. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Your rebuild narrative is also completely off base. This team isn't far from contending next year, the roster only needs some tweaks, not a teardown and rebuild. Plus some real rest and recovery.

The margins of difference are not that great in MLS. A team can win a cup one year, stink the next, then be a real contender the following year just with a few changes. Look at DC, add Rooney and a crap team became good. It's that narrow a margin.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-21-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You mean like that crazy thing we did the year before, where we took a team that dominated the MLS Cup game, and let a heart-and-soul Canadian, who broke his leg for us, go, and replaced him with a Spanish guy who couldn’t get off the bench in Mexico but made 4x what the Canadian did?

They swung the bat. Sometimes you miss badly.
    Fair point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be fair to say the year was a write-off??

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a lesson. If they look at this as a blip or a one time thing that can't happen again, a different version of this will happen in 2019.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Please give it up with the Vanney hate. I get it, you never liked him. But 95%+ of TFC fans will disagree with you. Vanney won us the MLS Cup and his tactics and team management were a big part of that. At that time you argued that the manager made no difference, it was all the team. Now you are arguing its the manager when they are losing. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Your rebuild narrative is also completely off base. This team isn't far from contending next year, the roster only needs some tweaks, not a teardown and rebuild. Plus some real rest and recovery.

The margins of difference are not that great in MLS. A team can win a cup one year, stink the next, then be a real contender the following year just with a few changes. Look at DC, add Rooney and a crap team became good. It's that narrow a margin.
    If you find yourself with nothing better to do, please find a single post where I derided or criticized Vanney. Never happened. I have been watching other MLS teams this season, and in my opinion, several are better than TFC was last season. Many other teams are on par with our team, when we have no injuries.
    DC United has the best midfielder in the league right now, a solid keeper, good defenders, and Rooney.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to really compare but nobody really dominated like we did in 2017. NYRB & Atlanta are good but I would argue they both have more flaws then we showed last season. In some ways, the league this year regressed defensively and teams with the tactical capability to take advantage of that have prospered. See LAG where Zlatan is, IMHO, league MVP after only half a season.

Apart from LAG, every single team doing well has had a consistent approach from management & manager for a number of years. 5 year rebuilds are not an MLS thing. Stick with a plan, implement it no matter who the manager is & innovate as you go along.

See Montreal for an example of what its like to keep changing things drastically. Apart from their 1 year of CCL and their one semi against us, they have been consistently not good enough. Heck, it took us going almost historically bad on defence for them to beat us twice in 1 season.