Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Season Could Very Well Be Over Already

With tonight's loss, we've wasted too many of our vaunted 'games in hand,' and we're too far back of the leaders to assume any sort of realistic chance at finishing in the top 4 of the conference.

Why did this happen? Prioritizing the CCL and basically throwing away the Colorado and Houston games, and now having just way too many regular players injured to be as competitive as we need to be. Yes, we have good depth, but only if 1 or 2 guys have to fill in here and there; the lineup we played tonight just can't cut it (especially with VV going out again).

So what's the best we can hope for? That we can scrounge enough points together to at least stay in the playoff picture while everyone gets healthy; seems that will be around late July/early August. Then, even if we're back to full strength, it'll take them another month probably to get back into the groove, so if – and that's a big IF – that can happen, then maybe we can get hot in September and try to ride some momentum into the playoffs.

But if we lose any of the next few games, I think we're just totally finished. We might even be already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if we'll play a lot better from now on, leaving everything on the field in every game, no matter who is available and who is not, we have a fighting chance for places 3-4 in the East.

Places 1-2?
    Forget about it, would be a miracle if we would catch one of those.

IMO we'll finish 3rd - 5th in the East.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-10-2018 at 05:04 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

26 games left to play,season over
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    No kidding. Guys, there are still 78 pts on the table.

We also still have games in hand on plenty of teams ahead of us - two games in hand on Atlanta/NYCFC, 3 on Columbus, 2 on Montreal and 1 on Orlando/Chicago/Philadelphia/New England.

Personally, I think finishing 1-2 is highly unlikely, which is how I felt prior to beginning this season because of the CCL. But making the playoffs is totally doable. More than half of the conference qualifies for the playoffs!
    Last edited by wopchop; 05-10-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see...
    Through 8 games - 7 Points
    Games remaining - 26
    Assume 16 wins, 5 losses, 5 ties - 53 points
    End of season total - 60 points
    That should be enough to end up top 2-4. I'm not worrying right now. If LeBron proved anything, North American regular seasons don't mean that much, so long as you make the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally my sentiment, plus with a nice little World Cup break in June, this team can recharge, reload and get to where they need to be.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

win canadian championship, get to CCL and win it

thats what i want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just lost to the worst team in the West - at home.

We were shut out by Columbus, at home.

We're currently missing more than half our starting 11.

How are we supposed to win our upcoming games?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is possibly the most mis-informed and maybe the worst thread in the history of these boards.

We were the much better team by miles last night, the game before against Philly, and the game before that against Chicago. And that is still with the entire starting back line injured!

Finished already? what games are you watching? by inches on 3 occasions we missed scoring goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeesh. Why are Toronto fans so fickle? Or is this a troll?

Ok, so we have lost a number of winnable games, but we have zero defensive starters due to injuries and now some fans are saying the season's done already? smh.

We have just over 3/4s of the regular season left with a lot those games with a full and healthy squad. It's a long season, we'll get back up there in contention.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2018 is not 2017

We all wanted this season to be like last year. Its not.

But its still more fun then most other seasons we've had. And we are far from done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not yet, but if we're sitting in a similar position come August then heads better start to roll.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    PANIC!

Usual reaction when any team with even slight expectation (TFC, Raptors, Leafs, Jays a couple of years ago) do not live up to expectations after a few games.
    I am with everyone else, there is a reason why last year was celebrated, its because years like that don't happen all the time.

We need to temper our expectations ...

We aren't going to get the Shield this year ... oh well (a couple of other trophies look nicer in the case at the training ground anyway)

Remember, we get into Champions League via Canadian Championship, not MLS honours. Next focus should be that (especially since it is coming just after the World Cup break).

We aren't going to break OUR points record ... No one else will this year either (world cup break, wear and tear on World Cup players with take a toll, we won't have that issue later)

And the most important thing in MLS .. PARITY ... Just make the playoffs and see what happens (of course prefer a home date if we have to play in the opening round but, it has been proven that getting in to the playoffs with a good run could mean good things).

Can we say the players could be better in their execution ... YES
    But, stating at the beginning of May that we shouldn't bother caring about another 4-5 months of games is just out of their mind.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will enjoy bumping this thread as we climb the standings

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I think if we'll play a lot better from now on, leaving everything on the field in every game, no matter who is available and who is not, we have a fighting chance for places 3-4 in the East.

Places 1-2?
    Forget about it, would be a miracle if we would catch one of those.

IMO we'll finish 3rd - 5th in the East.

Ya I agree with this.
    For me personally - as nice as it was to win the Supporters Shield last year - it meant shit compared to winning the MLS Cup.

For me - the clubs priority should be:

1 - MLS Cup
    2 - Canadian Championship
    3 - CCL
    4 - Supporters Shield

Until the league allows teams to build deeper teams (a.k.a Raise the Cap) - all 4 of those things is impossible.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 05-10-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Ya I agree with this.
    For me personally - as nice as it was to win the Supporters Shield last year - it meant shit compared to winning the MLS Cup.

For me - the clubs priority should be:

1 - MLS Cup
    2 - Canadian Championship
    4 - CCL
    3 - Supporters Shield

Until the league allows teams to build deeper teams (a.k.a Raise the Cap) - all 4 of those things is impossible.
    The Supporters Shield is a nice bonus due to home field advantage in the playoffs, but yeah, the MLS Cup was the bee's knees.

BTW, did you mean CCL #3, then Supporters Shield #4?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a legitimate thread, maybe a week or two premature though. Our next six matches we have NE away, Orlando home, FC Dallas home, Columbus away, Philadelphia away, DC home. There are a few tough ones in there - we rarely do well in NE, Columbus looks decent, Orlando decent. What would we need to put this thread away? at least 12 points? 15 points?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    The Supporters Shield is a nice bonus due to home field advantage in the playoffs, but yeah, the MLS Cup was the bee's knees.

BTW, did you mean CCL #3, then Supporters Shield #4?
    ya that's what I meant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think this is a legitimate thread, maybe a week or two premature though. Our next six matches we have NE away, Orlando home, FC Dallas home, Columbus away, Philadelphia away, DC home. There are a few tough ones in there - we rarely do well in NE, Columbus looks decent, Orlando decent. What would we need to put this thread away? at least 12 points? 15 points?
    13 points.
    Win all 3 home games, win at Philly and draw at NE or Columnus and lose at NE or Columbus.
    But this would seem very hard to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me Canadian champ is too priority.

Its way more embarassing to lose that after going to PKs in the ccl finals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This cannot seriously be a real talking point?????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boycotting this thread

(oh wait)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously. The sky is falling. Season is toast in early May when we have the best team in the league.

The goal is to with the Canadian Championship (to get back to Champions League) and to win MLS cup. Supporters shield really isn't all that special. Without looking it up, who won supporters shield in 2008? Nobody cares. You care about who won the MLS Cup.

If we dont win the shield meh.

We can win the Canadian Championship.
    We can win the MLS cup with the team we have. First step is getting into the playoffs, which all you need is 6th place.

We are 7 points back with 1 game in hand from 6th place. It's May 10th.

It's not very much a supporters comment to say season is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year our start wasn't the greatest either. We had 7 points in the first 6 games.

Just make the playoffs. If the team is healthy going into the playoffs, they can beat anyone.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One starting CB comes back, Bradley goes back in the middle, this team is COMPLETELY different. We miss Bradley in the middle - I would argue more than we miss Jozy up front.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team is trash and you should stop watching. Give me your tickets and I'll dispose of them.

RPB Member
    President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a JOKE!! If you got no faith, please leave your tickets at the closest gate and never show up again. Yes looking at it right now, not great, a few W changes everything. We havent played NYCFC, Atlanta, Orlando, NYRB yet in the season which easily can change alot. I put a small excel projection fun, i so should do some over/under haha... However, looking at it, couple wins coming up can really change alot. Potential(is just how many points possible at end of season), Potential2(is with the trending PPG for now, how much they can get end of season). we need as a team and fan base just take everygame 1 step at a time, and not look at the end stage yet.

Eastern Conf
    Club MP W D L Pts Potential PPG Potential2
    Atlanta 10 7 1 2 22 94 2.200 75
    NYCFC 10 6 2 2 20 92 2.000 68
    Orlando 9 6 1 2 19 94 2.111 72
    Columbus 11 5 3 3 18 87 1.636 56
    NYRB 8 5 0 3 15 93 1.875 64
    New England 9 4 2 3 14 89 1.556 53
    Chicago 9 3 2 4 11 86 1.222 42
    Montreal 10 3 0 7 9 81 0.900 31
    Philadelphia 9 2 2 5 8 83 0.889 30
    TFC 8 2 1 5 7 85 0.875 30
    DC United 7 1 2 4 5 86 0.714 24

West Conf
    Club MP W D L Pts Potential PPG Potential2
    Sporting KC 11 7 2 2 23 92 2.091 71
    LAFC 9 6 1 2 19 94 2.111 72
    Vancouver 10 4 1 5 13 85 1.300 44
    FC Dallas 8 3 4 1 13 91 1.625 55
    Minnesota 10 4 0 6 12 84 1.200 41
    Houstan 8 3 2 3 11 89 1.375 47
    Portland 8 3 2 3 11 89 1.375 47
    LA Galaxy 9 3 1 5 10 85 1.111 38
    Real Salt 9 3 1 5 10 85 1.111 38
    Colorado 8 2 2 4 8 86 1.000 34
    Seattle 8 2 2 4 8 86 1.000 34
    San Jose 8 1 2 5 5 83 0.625 21
    Road Games:
    2013, 2014, 2015 - Montreal; 2016 - Montreal (Leg 1 Conference Final); 2017 - NYRB (Leg 1 Eastern Semi), Columbus (Leg 1 Eastern Finals); 2019 - Seattle (MLS Finals)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure the sky has not fallen yet. The flounders won the cup in 2016 after being last in the league at the mid season point. I'm totally fine with giving up any hope of the supporters shield but I want to win the Canadian Championship, the MLS Cup and have another very deep run in CCL.
    Unfortunately we're not doing any of that without our defensive line back. We're not getting any straight answers on the nature of all the injuries. Word was that Altidore had possibly another hamstring issue then we hear he's had foot surgery, Morrow was good enough to play half a game and then he's no where to be found. Word is that Mavinga needs surgery. Why are they putting this off? Just have it done and get healthy. Moor's out long term and with his age it may be hard to come back from this injury. As for Vasques, I'm trying not to think about this one. We can win games without him but we're better with him. No up-date on Zavaleta? Hagglunds great when healthy but we all know that will be short lived.

I can look at the big picture. Yes we have time. Maybe we've got most back healthy for July. Great, lot's of time still. We've got 8 games in July. If they're not back we run the risk of injuring everyone else. If they are all back maybe we push someone too fast. I wouldn't want to be Vanney making these decisions.

All this negativity put aside, I still think the team has the mental stamina to get through this and make the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how I put the boxes on that post.