0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least it wasn't a complete blow out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pitch tonight was just awful. It’s gotten worse and worse this year.

On another note, this might be the biggest swing from being the 2nd best defensive team in the MLS, to the 2nd worse the next season. Every time I see Hagglund with Zavaleta, I can literally put 2 goals up on the other side before the game starts

I also don’t know what to think of GVW. I think he’s decent, but not sure about it. Weird player to judge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GVW is good but the problem is that he just doesn't care enough to work hard and focus for 90 minutes. Whether it's because he thinks he's too good for MLS or that's just his way, who knows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Morrow, Moor and Mavinga all got injured and we didn't sign a CB before the signing window closed - we blew the MLS season. The galling thing right now is that Seattle could quite possibly get to a 3rd MLS Cup Final in a row.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I think Chapman should never have been on the field.
    On the flip side, he gets playing time against a good opponent in a “meaningful” game. Meanwhile, Vazquez is well rested for Saturday (fingers crossed).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    GVW is good but the problem is that he just doesn't care enough to work hard and focus for 90 minutes. Whether it's because he thinks he's too good for MLS or that's just his way, who knows?
    I'm thinking the same about him.
    Anyways, for what he's shown until now in almost a full season for TFC, no way in hell that he should be getting paid more than in the range of $300,000 - $400,000 per season. I do not have time now to look up his salary, but for sure he's making a lot more than that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts defensive work on that Chapman attempt was magnificent. The way he closed down his own man to get the block in was possibly his best play all season.

It was fun watching a quality team play. Liga Mx still way better then MLS as far as positional awareness & speed onto the ball player.

That match was pretty much 2nd goal wins. Guys tried hard in the second half, especially Osorio but the quality difference was just way to big this time around. Missing 3 starters, the replacements would have to really step up & have their best this season to get a win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We invited pressure down the right all the first half, it was inevitable that Zav would end up being the goat. (I mean, it was always going to be either him or Hags, but there it is - any game where these two are starting together, you're giving up two goals minimum. This is the tale of the season.)

Our midfield would shift to the left and leave space on the right, and Tigres basically had to go down that side. vdW made a couple of risky challenges and one of them I thought was going to be a card, but he got lucky I think.

That corner defense is incomprehensible. Everyone was clumped in the net and nobody spread forward to pick up the Tigres players who were sitting at/near the top of the box. So when it got headed out there, we had no defence to close down that shot.

I am also baffled as to what vdW can offer in this setup, but I'm willing to cut him slack because his service was intended to come from Chapman and Delgado who were slow with the decision making all game. Chapman in particular hesitates every time and loses the first best option because the defender gets in position.

Not having link up from Vazquez hurts our attack; having Bradley sit so far back hurts our transition and deep possession.

We are terrible in the air. I'd institute a rule at this point that goaltender possession should never result in a long kick. We're going to lose the midfield challenge for the ball almost always, and when we do luck into getting our head on it, we put it where none of our players are. (This is also why corners are so pathetic for this team) Do we never practice this stuff?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some good stuff there pc.

I'd say Hanson & Jozy are OK at winning balls in the air in MLS - the rest - not so good. Tigres was on a different level with that play last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'd say Hanson & Jozy are OK at winning balls in the air in MLS - the rest - not so good. Tigres was on a different level with that play last night.
    You have two different thoughts there, both being correct but not necessarily linked as far as my point was intended.

I agree that Janson and Jozy are decent midfield targets for the long ball - Seba with space is also good because he can turn so well - but there's just no point if it's going to be to anyone else. This has driven me nuts for two seasons. (This is true of mid to lower table BPL teams too - the aimless direct ball is a feature of, say Newcastle)

If we aren't going to win those balls, why are we giving it away by running the play at all? I'd rather tell Bono and the back line that throws and balls on the carpet are the only options, and only go long when we can do a direct break (ie once the other team starts pressing instead of backing up).

Tigres were pretty impressive with their possession, it is true, and their speed of thought/decision is very high. But we just played these guys March 7 and beat them 2-1, and we can play that way when our midfield has both Bradley and Vazquez in it - which means Mavinga and Moor in back.

I have hope for Janson. I think he changes the attack from the Vazquez style but I think his type of speed and grit might force us to play another style that this team could be successful with. I was glad he got some time with Osorio last night, it was a good competitive training session for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me the most positive thing about last nights game was that Auro Jr. was back on the pitch and is ready to go for the home stretch of the MLS season. Also, nice to see Jansen play meaningful minutes. I think we need him on the pitch the rest of the way. If we can get Mavinga and moor back and healthy I think we run the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ricketts defensive work on that Chapman attempt was magnificent. The way he closed down his own man to get the block in was possibly his best play all season.

It was fun watching a quality team play. Liga Mx still way better then MLS as far as positional awareness & speed onto the ball player.

That match was pretty much 2nd goal wins. Guys tried hard in the second half, especially Osorio but the quality difference was just way to big this time around. Missing 3 starters, the replacements would have to really step up & have their best this season to get a win.

Rickets has always put in a ton of effort on the defensive side to close out games, it shouldnt be overlooked. But he is still gone in 2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Rickets has always put in a ton of effort on the defensive side to close out games, it shouldnt be overlooked. But he is still gone in 2019
    Lol I think you missed the joke

I turned to my brother in law after that block and said "at least in London Olympics Kaylyn Kyle knew to go to ground".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zavs own goal basically summed up the story of the entire season compared to last. In 2017, situations went in our favor where this season everything for the most part has not.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    I have hope for Janson. I think he changes the attack from the Vazquez style but I think his type of speed and grit might force us to play another style that this team could be successful with. I was glad he got some time with Osorio last night, it was a good competitive training session for them.
    We need to change our style going forward without a doubt. Our slow down approach doesn't work anymore and our lack of speed and athleticism is pushing us further from the top of the league. Time for a substantial off season re-tooling I would say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    If we aren't going to win those balls, why are we giving it away by running the play at all? I'd rather tell Bono and the back line that throws and balls on the carpet are the only options, and only go long when we can do a direct break (ie once the other team starts pressing instead of backing up).
    I completely agree with this. Hopelessly booting the ball up the field gives the ball to the opponent. Working the ball out of the backline with Hagglund and Zavs on the field limits our options but varying our style moving forward will create spaces and opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I think Chapman should have been off the field a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I think Chapman should never have been on the field.

I thought he was the best Toronto player on the field (though everyone had some pretty good work rate). Can always trust others on the forum to have a different opinion!

I was at the game, not watching on tv... dont know if that makes a difference in perspective though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to change our style going forward without a doubt. Our slow down approach doesn't work anymore and our lack of speed and athleticism is pushing us further from the top of the league. Time for a substantial off season re-tooling I would say.
    I can appreciate a thoughtful buildup but the team needs the ability to counter faster than it does right now. It keeps the opposition honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would argue that we weren't a slow-down team last year either - just better at supporting each other for the short possession game.

This year the sympatico just isn't there. The first team hasn't been together enough to get on the same wavelength. So the player hesitates before passing, instead of the one-or-two touch pass play we saw last year. And that hesitation allows the opponent's press to disrupt us.

There were a few times when, for example, a give and go between Chapman and vdW would have sprung vdW down the sideline, but Chapman's hesitation to return the ball toward the sideline caused vdW to check up his run, and next thing you knew they practically run into each other. (I'm not blaming Chapman for this type of hesitation, this is intended to illustrate what I mean about sympatico)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I thought he was the best Toronto player on the field (though everyone had some pretty good work rate). Can always trust others on the forum to have a different opinion!

I was at the game, not watching on tv... dont know if that makes a difference in perspective though...
    Yes, being at the game always gives you a better/different perspective. Significant amounts of the off-ball work doesn't make it to TV feed.

On TV, he looked gassed by the end of the game, but I still thought he played very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I thought [Chapman] was the best Toronto player on the field (though everyone had some pretty good work rate). Can always trust others on the forum to have a different opinion!
    I was hot and cold on him last night. (I was there too)

He hit the crossbar with a great header. He had a shot blocked by Ricketts. But he also had some moments where he just gave up on things, when a second effort would have resulted in an opportunity to create the next play.

I saw passes just out of reach of his run and he quits, and then the defender who gets it - just feet away - bobbles it and if he had've kept running he'd be free with the ball, for example. Instead it's that exasperated shrug and roll of the eyes that we get.

Jonathan Osorio would do that two years ago. He stopped last year, and now his consistent work rate is paying off in secondary chances that he's able to convert.

Last year I felt Chapman got bullied off the ball too easily. This year he's not so soft - he has definitely improved. But he still has room to grow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "best possible" thing for this team going forward might be to miss the playoffs this year

They have been playing almost non stop for three years with a month off in between seasons

They are physically and more importantly mentally exhausted

If this club wants to play CCL and MLS they must not only address the aging core but add significant depth to the bench with players that can actually play when called on

This may require less emphasis on DP's and spreading out the wealth over the entire roster
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On TV, we looked good for 20-25 minutes then again for a little while in the second half, before the second goal. GVW culpable on the first goal as was Bono. Near post. Terrible. On the second goal, we were all too focussed on defending the corner, but Bono still should have saved it. And we were unlucky not to score first.

But, Tigres deserved winners. Once they got into a rhythm, they were a touch faster in movement and ball movement than us - better anticipation. we showed that we can go toe to toe with a team of this caliber, but need regular such games so we can play at that tempo. Our weaknesses were also clear - in goal, team speed in defense (where the loss of Mavinga is really hurting) and in midfield. We have depth there but need Chapman to rise as Oso did to the higher speed. Very good for him to get in this game.

Gio and Jozy worked hard. Good to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game really confirmed for me that we are a broken team. Bono has lost his confidence and it might not be recoverable. This team hasn't had a single 90 minute performance since CONCACAF.
    The decision to allow the Argos in has really bitten us now & the players are obviously not relishing playing at home. The injuries have been a disaster & our promising signings made in the off season haven't been a success in the same way that Mavinga and Vazquez were the previous year. The big question is what changes should we make in this off-season to get back where we need to be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Zavs own goal basically summed up the story of the entire season compared to last. In 2017, situations went in our favor where this season everything for the most part has not.
    Things aren't going our way cause our players are making bonehead mistakes. Look at that goal for example. 3 players made house league mistakes.

1) hagglund tried to cut off the long through ball but missed and sent the winger into a free run towards our goal
    2) morrow tries to slide tackle and keep the ball from going out (instead of making sure it goes out for a corner) and gives the ball right to a wide open tigres player
    3) zavaleta with 2 left feet doesn't know how to deflect a ball away from net, then has the audacity to laugh about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    On TV, we looked good for 20-25 minutes then again for a little while in the second half, before the second goal. GVW culpable on the first goal as was Bono. Near post. Terrible.
    I'm not sure why you say vdW was the one culpable - the goalscorer cuts in front of him toward Zavaleta, who is guarding *no one*, and Zav actually steps forward to give him room to run in behind. If Bradley can recognize the chip forward coming, Zav should be able to as well. Basic zonal responsibility stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who was responsible for the half-assed clearance on the second goal? I couldn't tell live and have no interest in watching a replay but was wondering if it was Zavaleta since that's his side. If so then he gets the trifecta for this match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were there and very disappointed with MLSE! Prices should have been a lot less so there could have been more in attendance! Look horrible been empty! (

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    This game really confirmed for me that we are a broken team. Bono has lost his confidence and it might not be recoverable. This team hasn't had a single 90 minute performance since CONCACAF.
    The decision to allow the Argos in has really bitten us now & the players are obviously not relishing playing at home. The injuries have been a disaster & our promising signings made in the off season haven't been a success in the same way that Mavinga and Vazquez were the previous year. The big question is what changes should we make in this off-season to get back where we need to be.
    Let's be honest here, the team is broken

BMO Field is nowhere near a fortress, players complain about our field and the loudest supporter section got booted out and the stadium is extremely quiet and boring. A number of players have completely lost their confidence, young guys haven't improved despite playing time and the injuries have been ridiculous.

Even when a relatively full squad is available, it just hasn't been our season. The Jozy red vs. NYCFC, the collapse in Columbus, losing easy home games vs. Dallas and Seattle and NYRB, it's been awful.

I think we pack it in and concentrate on 2019. A core of Mavinga, Morrow, Osorio, Bradley, Vasquez, Giovinco and Altidore is still fantastic, and if we can get some rest and get healthy hopefully the secondary players have a better season like VDW, Auro, Hagglund, Zavaleta, Delgado, Bono

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who was responsible for the half-assed clearance on the second goal?
    Morrow, near post and out into the middle.