Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 28 - LA Galaxy @ TFC Sat Sept 15 7:30pm - The Swedish Lion Pays a Visit

So when you google Swedish Lion....

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OG thanks for doing these threads

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to do it

LAG has been slipping of late - had a great run through June & July but haven't won since. Sounds familiar - so far 3 teams have had 3+ game not winning streaks snap when playing us - Orlando, Minnesota, Portland.

The Gals look a lot like us defensively & in attack. Should be goals. Zlatan is having quite the season. They need the win as everybody around them has games in hand - he only seems to avoid turf game travels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm at the point now where I'm going try to forget standings and just enjoy matches but think a TFC win finishes the Galaxy.Looking forward to seeing Ibra, wonder if there is any truth the the Egypt talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes each match now is more important than a position in the standings.
    We are trying to enjoy the moment, the players and the tradition . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does have a song though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galaxy just fired their coach... so there’s that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Galaxy just fired their coach... so there’s that.
    Great, now they will get the new(ish) coach bounce. Well, its Dom Kinnear so maybe that will wear off during the plane ride to TO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, rumour is he just quit.. not even fired!

Tough being Sigi lately.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well, rumour is he just quit.. not even fired!

Tough being Sigi lately.
    Officially it was a "collective decision" per the club i.e. he was given the opportunity to resign. If he didn't, he would be fired.

Even if your coach is respected and seems to have a lot going for him, a season like that can lead to a coach being fired.

I actually think he's not responsible for the team's failings. Rather it is poor roster construction and some bad deals. I don't anticipate a fast turnaround, even if they got Wenger (who I believe would do well in MLS).

Gone are the days when the league would do all that they could to support the Galaxy, there's new poster boys to promote MLS.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-11-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I actually think he's not responsible for the team's failings. Rather it is poor roster construction and some bad deals. I don't anticipate a fast turnaround.
    I'm not sure, not 100% at fault because he hasn't been around that long. However he had full authority on all roster decisions this year is what has been reported. I think his time has simply passed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Officially it was a "collective decision" per the club i.e. he was given the opportunity to resign. If he didn't, he would be fired.

Even if your coach is respected and seems to have a lot going for him, a season like that can lead to a coach being fired.

I actually think he's not responsible for the team's failings. Rather it is poor roster construction and some bad deals. I don't anticipate a fast turnaround, even if they got Wenger (who I believe would do well in MLS).

Gone are the days when the league would do all that they could to support the Galaxy, there's new poster boys to promote MLS.
    The shit deals they signed this winter are on Sigi and his son. He was basically given control of the non Zlatan signings this winter and even brought in his son as director of personnel (or some other bs title which amounts to head scout)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    I'm not sure, not 100% at fault because he hasn't been around that long. However he had full authority on all roster decisions this year is what has been reported. I think his time has simply passed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The shit deals they signed this winter are on Sigi and his son. He was basically given control of the non Zlatan signings this winter and even brought in his son as director of personnel (or some other bs title which amounts to head scout)
    I stand corrected. Thanks.
    Then he deserved to be fired.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, LAG twitter isn't happy at all with their current brain trust, who see them as bringing in the mess that got their coach fired in 2017, and as culpable for bringing in Schmid & Kinnear.

Of course this means nothing for Saturday - we might be facing a team hell bent on proving a point or a team as fragile as our defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the biggest names in sport will be in our city this weekend. Let's see how "world class" our newspapers are, and if they will write anything about him or will they have another full page on the CFL or an up and coming Blue Jay playing single A.

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    One of the biggest names in sport will be in our city this weekend. Let's see how "world class" our newspapers are, and if they will write anything about him or will they have another full page on the CFL or an up and coming Blue Jay playing single A.
    To be fair, the CFL and Blue Jays have more place in our city’s newspapers than a visit by a player who plays for a team that has nothing to do with the city...
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelred View Post
    To be fair, the CFL and Blue Jays have more place in our city’s newspapers than a visit by a player who plays for a team that has nothing to do with the city...
    So your telling me when Lebron comes to town, there is no special added interest from our newspapers.

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    So your telling me when Lebron comes to town, there is no special added interest from our newspapers.
    Honestly, I don’t know. I don’t read the papers. If your original comment said something along the lines of that, then I wouldn’t have said anything. But you implied that he should get coverage over our own city’s teams. That’s all.

If that’s the case, fair enough.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The media is a lost cause for coverage.

Zlatan is known by soccer fans. Will they show up on Saturday just for him? Well, Gerrard people showed up 2 years ago & he didn't even make the flight. Will see.

A casual soccer fan in this city may go just to see him in the flesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The media is a lost cause for coverage.

Zlatan is known by soccer fans. Will they show up on Saturday just for him? Well, Gerrard people showed up 2 years ago & he didn't even make the flight. Will see.

A casual soccer fan in this city may go just to see him in the flesh.
    I'd say Zlatan is known beyond just fans of the game, i've talked to people this week who have mentioned him but couldn't tell you who Marky Delgado is. Those same people probably didn't even know who Gerrard was.

Game is pretty much sold out, resale market is stronger than most regular season matches...they will definitely show for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, the apathy is real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like when Pirlo and Gerrard visited, I expect to see a few casual Ibra shirts at BMO, especially withe the Hollywood weather.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Moor. No Mavinga. Oh well....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s crazy what a decent lineup and some rest can do —- It’s sad to think of what could have been had they been healthy —- will be interesting to see whether they play the “A” lineup on Wednesday (or not) for that Campeones Cup game?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Innebrati outside the stadium waving their flags on the North side

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double Vee, Joz-ehhh, Seba...couldn't ask for a better start.

And that goal from Zlatan Ibrahimovic, well that was a world class strike. Nothing Bono could have done to stop it. Congrats on your 500th career goal.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh, played so well in the first half then let the foot off the gas, dont have a strong D so we need to have a strong attack, but where did it go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow is it dead in here.

Anyway what a goal by Zlatan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear this game is an exact representation of where MLS is as a league. They have forwards, strikers and attacking talent the quality of mid table la lagia. Midfields the quality of lower league la liga and defense and center backs the quality of 2nd tier England

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I don’t even know where to start on that.

I am highly entertained though!