Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was the victory the Reds needed big time. 6 points out. Live to see another day.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good strategy by Vanney changing formation a couple of times and going defensive in the second half.

Janson is what we needed earlier in the season, great pick up.

Geiger reffed a good game.

TFC did what they needed to do. Hope Giovinco is good. Altidore back next match!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Woohoo survived!

Good night folks, 4:01 am now...
    and the reds survive 401 derby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    and the reds survive 401 derby
    I thought now they're calling it the "Canadian Classique'.

Pucker factor was high at the end, but I'm glad they pulled it out. If they win 8 of their last 9 games, they should be playoff bound.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Janson is scary good at the vertical. Stadium rocked. Zavs is Zavs. Moor is so good. Bradley had a great game. Bono needs a day off. Delgado great in defense but bad touch going forward. Osorio is a first 11 MLS player right now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I thought now they're calling it the "Canadian Classique'.

Pucker factor was high at the end, but I'm glad they pulled it out. If they win 8 of their last 9 games, they should be playoff bound.
    Really 45-46 points should do the trick. That would be a 1.35ppg for the season. That is 18-19 points or 6 wins plus a draw to sneak by the line.

If DC and Philly stay in the hot zone where 48 is required they will likely be both pushing for 50 at which point all 9 games are needed.

DC are on a huge roll and they may very well hit 48+ points. They've got 3 games in hand on TFC and that means they have a good margin for error and still be able to get beyond 48 points. Philly is also playing well and if they keep playing well in the final stretch they could go beyond 48 as well. Columbus would have to implode not to hit that number and Montreal has been playing better in the last few months and could also go on a run though much less likely. That means Toronto needs to get above Philly and DC at least and both could go beyond 48 points.

Even winning all 9 games it may not be possible. If DC and Philly both settle into something closer to their form prior to their current hot streaks 6 wins is enough. If they both stay on their streaks 9 wins may not be enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just home from the game. Can anyone explain how there were so many VERY late offside calls and free kicks tonight? The 2 Montreal goals, the TFC goal, the breakaway Jansen had in the 1st half to name a few.

Very very bizarre calls even for Pro referees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Just home from the game. Can anyone explain how there were so many VERY late offside calls and free kicks tonight? The 2 Montreal goals, the TFC goal, the breakaway Jansen had in the 1st half to name a few.

The offsides were all correct. The commentators mentioned that the refs were specified to call it like that. To let them get reviewed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- The first 30 minutes was like watching a decent La liga team facing an MLS 2.0 team. It was 30 minutes of domination.
    - The middle 30 we struggled, and the last 30 was ok. We are not going to play a full 90 of strong defensive soccer with Zavaleta playing. MLS has passed him.
    - Irwin needs to come in for Bono.
    - Giovinco is a beast. His form will cary us.
    - Janson is quality for what he does.
    - Bradley was a beast, easily his best game; but still making 1 or 2 turnovers a game.
    - Delgado was fine
    - Osorio was good
    - Moor is amazing
    - Concerned for Vazquez
    - Zavaleta is terrible

The result of these games is almost predictable just from the starting lineup alone. When our best players, play; we win. When our scrubs play; we lose. That's just the way it works in MLS

If Moor, Mavinga, Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore can stay in the lineup we may find a way
    Last edited by Defoe; 08-26-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post

The commentators said the refs have been told to call it late on purpose to see if the ball goes in to allow for VAR.

The view is that a late call is better because by allowing the shot they won't prevent a valid goal but can always call it back, but if they cal offside early and it turns out it wasn't actually offside they will have denied a valid goal. So if the linesmen believe its offside, they just hesitate a couple seconds, let the play happen, and then call it.

Very good job by the crew (one of the linesmen was the Canadian lineman at the world cup on Geigers crew)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The commentators said the refs have been told to call it late on purpose to see if the ball goes in to allow for VAR.

The view is that a late call is better because by allowing the shot they won't prevent a valid goal but can always call it back, but if they cal offside early and it turns out it wasn't actually offside they will have denied a valid goal. So if the linesmen believe its offside, they just hesitate a couple seconds, let the play happen, and then call it.

Very good job by the crew (one of the linesmen was the Canadian lineman at the world cup on Geigers crew)
    Joe's good. Went to high School with him. (He was a few grades above me) He was the Golf team at one point. Random facts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was way harder than any 3 nothing game should be but a great result regardless. I'm not sure I like the CNE TFC games, food building hangover sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    That was way harder than any 3 nothing game should be but a great result regardless. I'm not sure I like the CNE TFC games, food building hangover sucks
    There was also a craft beer fest down Prince Boulevard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was a massive win. You can tell that the players really wanted this and bounced back with the perfect response. I was initially concerned that our 4-4-2 diamond setup would be too porous, but we defended solidly from the start and got a crucial early goal. Montréal's defence is shocking (epitomised by Sagna and his lazy playing style), and we did a great job in exploiting that.

For once, our midfield did a great job in supporting the defence. Zavaleta has had decent games, but he's generally poor in a back 4. Delgado was excellent in supporting him (and Bradley in the 2nd half), and he snuffed out the danger on every occasion. Osorio was also top class and was my MOTM even though Seba had a top-class performance himself. With their great performances, Bradley's weaknesses weren't exposed, and we got to see him boss the Montréal midfield from his deep midfield role (complacent 2nd half performance aside). For once, our midfield looked as strong as it did last season. Here's hoping that this isn't another false dawn for them.

Janson was an excellent acquisition, and I hope that he keeps this up. He's more than made up for the lack of size up front with his movement, dogged determination, and skill on the ball. You can tell that Seba and Vazquez enjoy playing with him, and he's gelled instantly with Osorio and Delgado. $3M is still a steep price for him, but he might be worth it if he keeps this up and ensures that we don't miss Jozy.

In terms of the negatives, once again, we started to fall back into defence way too early. Moor was massive in this regard as he kept us organised and composed, whilst Marky made it difficult for Montréal to advance forward. On top of that, whilst the substitution was a forced one, I'm glad that Vanney looked to change us into a back 3 to solidify us. That's the kind of solid in-game management that impressed me last season (even if Morgan couldn't keep up with a past-it Sagna). The injuries were another concern for me. When everything seemed to go our way, our players just had to get more knocks. With Mavinga apparently injured again, we cannot afford to lose our best players. Maybe we might need to do something about the pitch if this continues to be the case...

Regardless, even if we had nothing to play for, we still had to beat Montréal. This was a massive win whichever way you look at it, and it might be the catalyst for our potential playoff spot capture. Montréal certainly won't make it, so we have to just fend off New England and DC. Even if we don't get a playoff spot, if we beat Montréal at their place in our 3rd match, it'd somewhat make up for such a poor season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhandsome90 View Post
    The offsides were all correct. The commentators mentioned that the refs were specified to call it like that. To let them get reviewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard to justify the use of VAR. Not that you said it, but that the refs were told to call it this way. Talk about taking the spontaneity and passion out of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was sitting right behind our bench. Seba was f-ing livid with the state of the pitch when he came off late in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeRo2015 View Post
    I was sitting right behind our bench. Seba was f-ing livid with the state of the pitch when he came off late in the game.
    Here's the quick interview via TSN