Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaving aside Altidore’s red card for a second, the team played pretty damn well with 10 men for 80 minutes. Really it was simple mistakes that did us in as opposed to playing down a man. Impressive considering the circumstances.

I just wonder, beyond the general fatigue, if these guys are having trouble getting motivated game-to-game? Did it take being persistently ignored / disrespected by the officiating crew to come out and play like that? Having the playoffs on the line? It doesn’t feel like we’re getting that same push every game.

As far as the mistakes go: the midfield feels very out of balance in addition to the CB’s being terrible. I can’t help but wonder if another big-engine two way player to sit next to Bradley is the answer. Delgado does not look up to it this year and fielding both Vasquez and Osorio in a starting 11 is tough.

I hope the new guy is as fast as advertised because to my naked eye we consistently feel like one of the slower teams in the league
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-13-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Leaving aside Altidore’s red card for a second, the team played pretty damn well with 10 men for 80 minutes. Really it was simple mistakes that did us in as opposed to playing down a man. Impressive considering the circumstances.

I just wonder, beyond the general fatigue, if these guys are having trouble getting motivated game-to-game? Did it take being persistently ignored / disrespected by the officiating crew to come out and play like that? Having the playoffs on the line? It doesn’t feel like we’re getting that same push every game.

As far as the mistakes go: the midfield feels very out of balance in addition to the CB’s being terrible. I can’t help but wonder if another big-engine two way player to sit next to Bradley is the answer. Delgado does not look up to it this year and fielding both Vasquez and Osorio in a starting 11 is tough.

I hope the new guy is as fast as advertised because to my naked eye we consistently feel like one of the slower teams in the league
    I thought this was Seba's best game of the season, really tried to take over the game and it elevated the entire team. He was incredibly active (and focussed). Closest I've seen him to 2015 form in a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, I'm pretty sure Jozy leads the club in red cards now and not one of them has been for a valid tackle - they've all been irresponsible actions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does the ref not see the kick out by Moralez on Osorio, he's literally standing 10ft away!!

3:20 into this weeks instant replay on MLS:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...?autoplay=true

Is this the kind of thing that can get retroactively looked at, and if not, why not? The consistency in this game (let alone the league as a whole) is ridiculous.

Last edited by flambe; 08-14-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    On another note, I'm pretty sure Jozy leads the club in red cards now and not one of them has been for a valid tackle - they've all been irresponsible actions.
    At his age and this stage of his professional career it's ridiculous that he still can't control his reactions and allows himself to be baited.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    At his age and this stage of his professional career it's ridiculous that he still can't control his reactions and allows himself to be baited.
    I'm hearing you guys, but I also know he's the heart and soul of this team—the rug that ties the room together.

Bradley is a great captain, but he's too militant to REALLY be able to relate to and get on with, for instance, the younger guys (probably does fine with guys like Moor, for instance).

The card is unfortunate, but it really hasn't been until his involvement that an air of belief began to creep back into this side; even his sending off seemed to inspire Giovinco, in his absence, who's no doubt been somewhat off his game. He just adds a little fire/fight to our side's collective spirit (look at his most recent couple of interviews).

He has the same impact on the pitch, as well, and if that means he's the first to be carded, or has a "moment" like he done last match… it's tough, but you have to take the good with the bad; he wouldn't be who and what he is to the team without it. Now, that's not to say I don't wish he'd try to find a better balance, especially at a time like now… but, I also keep in mind that it's a time like now when it'd be most trying, given the "us against the world" circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    I'm hearing you guys, but I also know he's the heart and soul of this team—the rug that ties the room together.

Bradley is a great captain, but he's too militant to REALLY be able to relate to and get on with, for instance, the younger guys (probably does fine with guys like Moor, for instance).

The card is unfortunate, but it really hasn't been until his involvement that an air of belief began to creep back into this side; even his sending off seemed to inspire Giovinco, in his absence, who's no doubt been somewhat off his game. He just adds a little fire/fight to our side's collective spirit (look at his most recent couple of interviews).

He has the same impact on the pitch, as well, and if that means he's the first to be carded, or has a "moment" like he done last match… it's tough, but you have to take the good with the bad; he wouldn't be who and what he is to the team without it. Now, that's not to say I don't wish he'd try to find a better balance, especially at a time like now… but, I also keep in mind that it's a time like now when it'd be most trying, given the "us against the world" circumstances.
    I'm not hating on him at all. He's all heart but it would be kinda helpful for our DP to not fall for the other teams shit so often. At this point he has to know they're baiting him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    How does the ref not see the kick out by Moralez on Osorio, he's literally standing 10ft away!!

3:20 into this weeks instant replay on MLS:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...?autoplay=true

Is this the kind of thing that can get retroactively looked at, and if not, why not? The consistency in this game (let alone the league as a whole) is ridiculous.

This was infuriating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco was also mugged in the box in the second half and nothing had been said by anyone.. The referee was a joke, he had zero control of the game from the outset. If he would have called the multiple fouls on their defense the first 10 minutes on both Giovinco and Altidore, Altidore would not have gotten the red and more than likely would have had a man sent off due yellow cards as they were fouling both forwards all game.

That being said even with a man down we were the better team for the majority of the game. I know that doesn't count in the standings, but it bodes well for the stretch run and trying to make the playoffs. If we do make the playoffs the rest of the league is screwed as when TFC is in form and healthy there is no team in this league that can touch them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, the general discussion of team discipline would be great if some stats were used to compare Toronto to, say, NYCFC. Like, say, Fouls Committed. Toronto has the fewest FC by far in the league and NYCFC are the third worst offenders in the league - 192 vs 334. I mean, we all saw that NYCFC were dirty, but obviously this was not just a one-off.

Wish I could find the team card stats...

edit: found them

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soc...teamdiscipline

mid table for yellows and reds. We need to get better at fouling without drawing cards.
    Last edited by paul-collins; 08-15-2018 at 03:00 PM.