Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    There must be something going on wrt Mavinga. Nothing yet posted on the Discipline page, which was last updated yesterday and includes Elis' red from Sunday.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/topic/discipline
    Does DisCo take racism claims as seriously as physical misbehaviour?
    There were some rumblings that Altidore and Mavinga (maybe also Tefler) reacted at the same time to Almiron (?) Saying something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disco takes racism a lot more seriously than anything Physical. If that's what happened I think we would have heard whispers about it by now.

I think it was just Almiron spitting that set it off. ATL were extremely frustrated all game and this gave them an excuse to kick things off, so to speak.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Just getting back from my week in Atlanta. A couple notes/thoughts about the city and the game

- Atlanta is a wonderfully weird and beautiful city. It's completely Alien to anything in we have in Canada or the Northeast/midwest of the U.S.. I've never seen a city just straight up give the middle finger to the concept of urban planning. Highly, highly recommend for anyone else who's interested to take that trip in the future. It'll be well worth your time and money.

- It is somehow hotter here than it is there.

- Mercedez-Benz stadium and the surrounding area is truly world class. The building is massive and looking from the outside really is a world class piece of Architecture.

- It may be just that they're new to watching soccer live regularly or it may just be that their American and they don't get it, but the fans don't exactly understand when to cheer. They'll lose their shit for any ball that ends up in our end even if it ends up going nowhere. They don't really get the consistency of how games are reffed either - they lost their shit at EVERY call. The security staff also don't seem to understand the whole away travelling support thing. I tried to get in with my son from a section over and, despite that they'd blocked off five or six rows of for TFC fans of which there were only thirteen people in them, they still refused to let us come over because the "tickets were already bought by someone so you can't sit there". Yeah, the team bought them for US.

- Atlanta are not all that great, tbh. They're devestating on the counter With Almiron, Villalba and Martinez (who is genuinely the best CF in the league by a mile and should be playing in Europe next year) but outside of that they really don't have great movement of creativity when trying to break down a bunkering team. They only attack with 3-4 players at a time and if that doesn't work they just send it out to the wing for a cross and hope that works.

- They're an extremely bratty and entitled group of players. Parkhurst and a couple others were having absolute conniptions on the field (presumably off camera) because they weren't better than us. They looked scared and panicked. If you can keep Almiron checked and Martinez covered they have no idea what to do.

- The Mavinga red was boneheaded But Almiron spat on him and walked away like a coward. There was no reason for Gonzalo Perez to be all the way up there in Mavingas face at that point either. The ref is as much to blame for the whole situation as anyone. He was calling a lot for us in the first and then for some reason completely reversed that after half.

- As a former keeper there's no fucking way that's a penalty. Even worse is that they decided not to review it. What is the point of VAR as it currently is used if that's not review-able? PRO is the #1 thing the league needs to address in the immediate future. It's embarrassing and alters the course of the season.

Other than that, I think that performance really is the indicator that we're back to who we were last year. We're not just talented, but we're easily the best coached team in the league. We switched formation 3-4 times by my count and kept giving them different looks they just didn't know how to handle. I think the rest of the season is gonna be a lot of fun.
    Thank you for posting this. Many interesting observations. Your observation about crowd dynamics is consistent with what i have seen at other US venues. BMO is light years ahead of other MLS stadiums I have been to, in terms of crowd understanding of basics and general soccer “IQ”. I think it’s a competitive advantage for us in recruiting players.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-08-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree regarding the security staff in the away section. It was ridiculous. There were two older Atlanta fans sitting a few seats over from us in between tfc fans. That was seemingly okay, but you couldn’t sit with us!?!?

Other than that, the stadium was amazing and the “gulch” tailgate was good fun - very welcoming fans, chatted with a number of them and endured their disgusting shots of grain alcohol and wierd Asian liquors.

Just getting back from my week in Atlanta. A couple notes/thoughts about the city and the game

- Atlanta is a wonderfully weird and beautiful city. It's completely Alien to anything in we have in Canada or the Northeast/midwest of the U.S.. I've never seen a city just straight up give the middle finger to the concept of urban planning. Highly, highly recommend for anyone else who's interested to take that trip in the future. It'll be well worth your time and money.

- It is somehow hotter here than it is there.

- Mercedez-Benz stadium and the surrounding area is truly world class. The building is massive and looking from the outside really is a world class piece of Architecture.

- It may be just that they're new to watching soccer live regularly or it may just be that their American and they don't get it, but the fans don't exactly understand when to cheer. They'll lose their shit for any ball that ends up in our end even if it ends up going nowhere. They don't really get the consistency of how games are reffed either - they lost their shit at EVERY call. The security staff also don't seem to understand the whole away travelling support thing. I tried to get in with my son from a section over and, despite that they'd blocked off five or six rows of for TFC fans of which there were only thirteen people in them, they still refused to let us come over because the "tickets were already bought by someone so you can't sit there". Yeah, the team bought them for US.

- Atlanta are not all that great, tbh. They're devestating on the counter With Almiron, Villalba and Martinez (who is genuinely the best CF in the league by a mile and should be playing in Europe next year) but outside of that they really don't have great movement of creativity when trying to break down a bunkering team. They only attack with 3-4 players at a time and if that doesn't work they just send it out to the wing for a cross and hope that works.

- They're an extremely bratty and entitled group of players. Parkhurst and a couple others were having absolute conniptions on the field (presumably off camera) because they weren't better than us. They looked scared and panicked. If you can keep Almiron checked and Martinez covered they have no idea what to do.

- The Mavinga red was boneheaded But Almiron spat on him and walked away like a coward. There was no reason for Gonzalo Perez to be all the way up there in Mavingas face at that point either. The ref is as much to blame for the whole situation as anyone. He was calling a lot for us in the first and then for some reason completely reversed that after half.

- As a former keeper there's no fucking way that's a penalty. Even worse is that they decided not to review it. What is the point of VAR as it currently is used if that's not review-able? PRO is the #1 thing the league needs to address in the immediate future. It's embarrassing and alters the course of the season.

Other than that, I think that performance really is the indicator that we're back to who we were last year. We're not just talented, but we're easily the best coached team in the league. We switched formation 3-4 times by my count and kept giving them different looks they just didn't know how to handle. I think the rest of the season is gonna be a lot of fun.
    Road Games: ‘16-PHL,MTL,MTL(ECF); ‘17-CLB,ORL,NYC,DCU,CHI,MTL;
    ‘18-MTL,NER,OTT,ATL,MTL; ‘19-MTL; ‘22-MTL​;

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're not just talented, but we're easily the best coached team in the league. We switched formation 3-4 times by my count and kept giving them different looks they just didn't know how to handle. I think the rest of the season is gonna be a lot of fun.
    #VanneyOut? lol.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the news about Mavinga and what he indicated happened in Atlanta...I'm

This is what I wrote in the comments uner the MLS story on the suspension.

Weird sort of team ethics you have down there in Atlanta.

Sure, justified in suspending a kid for making crude remarks in a fight.

But won't own up to a guy spitting on people?!?!?!

You can't tell me Atlanta players & management don't know EXACTLY what happened out there.

Crude reprehensible behaviour that fans in Atlanta should be calling out.

But....hey....no...lets be all happy clappy....our boys can never do anything wrong. They are all fine upstanding citizens.

You want to know what should have happened?

Team should have, right after that game, admitted what Almiron did.

Accepted the eventual multi game ban as a part of teaching a player that this can not be tolerated.

Moved on looking like you actually care about the welfare of the game as a whole.

But....no

Atlanta management & players have to rally around their player even though he did the one thing that consistently in this sport gets you treated with utter contempt.

Disgusting by Almiron

Cowardly by his teammatees

Hypocritical by Martino

Selfish by Atlanta management

Contemptible by Atlanta ownership

Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-10-2018 at 09:07 PM.