Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t disagree, but putting your hands on someone’s neck is very rarely taken lightly in any league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Looks like they sent Hamilton & Akinola & Chapman out to Vancouver.

Strong lineup but that Atlanta counter is just going to eat Zavs alive. All I'm hoping for is for them to work hard &not to embarrass themselves like we did against NYCFC. Any points in this game are an unexpected bonus.
    Jordan Hamilton played 31 minutes tonight for TFCII at Pittsburgh.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    gio may be out next sunday also.5 yellow cards now
    The TSN broadcast said he’s one yellow card away from suspension after he picked up the one in the game.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelred View Post
    The TSN broadcast said he’s one yellow card away from suspension after he picked up the one in the game.
    thx.i didnt watch the the broadcast.but his stats show he has 5 yellow cards.
    on a side note.stuff going around that amiron may have spit at mavinga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

David Bailey
    @DABailey62
    ·
    28m
    Replying to @TaylorTwellman
    Body english gives it away. When slowed down and zoomed in, I believe I see the spittle fly from his lips. In the ECU at the end, watch the lips and then Mavinga's right shoulder. The spittle appears in the last two frozen frames.

https://t.co/F4mcYssmuk

Edit: oh ya, it’s there. Take the last 3 seconds of the clip and roll it back and forth. Almiron makes a spitting motion and you can (vaguely) see something on the corner of Mavinga’s shoulder. Then again it’s incredibly f’n grainy.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-04-2018 at 11:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it does look like it, but if Martinez doesn’t get suspended for an obvious headbutt a few weeks back, I can’t see MLS doing much if this is the only footage they have unfortunately.
    Away trips: 2014 - Seattle. 2015 - Montreal. 2016 - Montreal x2. Playoffs - NYCFC, Montreal. 2017 - Salt Lake, Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta. ​Playoffs - NYRB, Columbus. 2018 ​- Monterrey, MX (Tigres) CCL, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal. 2019 - ​Philly, Montreal, Seattle (MLS Cup final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelred View Post
    Yeah, it does look like it, but if Martinez doesn’t get suspended for an obvious headbutt a few weeks back, I can’t see MLS doing much if this is the only footage they have unfortunately.
    Unfortunately the problem with this line of thinking is that you're looking for consistency from MLS.

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Unfortunately the problem with this line of thinking is that you're looking for consistency from MLS.
    Haha! Yeah, true. Late night nonsense from me!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to mention that people are trying to zoom in to the possible spit from Youtube or MLS highlight videos. MLS should have much higher-quality (higher res) broadcast videos available, if they care to investigate this. Now if they do care, I have no idea. Doesn't seem like it, based on other calls & non-calls in favour of Atlanta, during this game & previous games.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 08-06-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Just wanted to mention it that people are trying to zoom in to the possible spit from Youtube or MLS highlight videos. MLS should have much higher-quality (higher res) broadcasts videos available, if they care to investigate this. Now if the do care, I have no idea. Doesn't seem like it, based on other calls & non-calls in favour of Atlanta, during this game & previous games.

For all all sorts of reasons, Atlanta are the chosen ones at the moment. They will get the benefit of the doubt on everything.

I hope we meet them in the eastern final. Tasty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Just wanted to mention it that people are trying to zoom in to the possible spit from Youtube or MLS highlight videos. MLS should have much higher-quality (higher res) broadcasts videos available, if they care to investigate this. Now if the do care, I have no idea. Doesn't seem like it, based on other calls & non-calls in favour of Atlanta, during this game & previous games.
    The only way they'll investigate is if TFC formally submit it though, right?

Anyone know if that's happened or will happen?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    The only way they'll investigate is if TFC formally submit it though, right?

Anyone know if that's happened or will happen?
    You're probably thinking of a red card appeal.

For further sanctions based on tape, the committee does not need to have someone ask, they can decide that on their own.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read the Atlanta coach's post game comments. Atlanta was the "far superior team" he says. Haha. Talking about how many points they should have had because they were the better team in this game and recent games where they dropped points. No extra points unfortunately for being the better team on the night. We should know. Happened to us enough times. Enjoy the spotlight for now buddy. You don't want to meet TFC in the playoffs. If that game went into OT I could have seen us winning that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Just read the Atlanta coach's post game comments. Atlanta was the "far superior team" he says. Haha. Talking about how many points they should have had because they were the better team in this game and recent games where they dropped points. No extra points unfortunately for being the better team on the night. We should know. Happened to us enough times. Enjoy the spotlight for now buddy. You don't want to meet TFC in the playoffs. If that game went into OT I could have seen us winning that game.
    Best they could do, at home, against our squad who isn't even in full game shape yet, is a draw... We face them on Decision Day at home, should be a bloodbath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just read through the game thread and noticed a few comments about the ref stopping the game at 4 minutes of extra time. I'm not sure which was correct but TSN put up 5 min but the graphic advertising boards around the pitch said 4 min.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerepis View Post
    I've just read through the game thread and noticed a few comments about the ref stopping the game at 4 minutes of extra time. I'm not sure which was correct but TSN put up 5 min but the graphic advertising boards around the pitch said 4 min.
    The sky sports coverage showed 4 minutes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerepis View Post
    It was four. It ticked over from 3.... odd that he would end the game precisely one minute early.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 08-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You're probably thinking of a red card appeal.

For further sanctions based on tape, the committee does not need to have someone ask, they can decide that on their own.
    So they just automatically review any sort of in-game incidents like that to look for stuff?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So they just automatically review any sort of in-game incidents like that to look for stuff?
    Yes, but it's a mystery how they choose what to review. You'll see them suspend or fine players from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes, but it's a mystery how they choose what to review. You'll see them suspend or fine players from time to time.
    Based on the replay it definitely seems Almiron spit on him, so I certainly hope he gets punished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just getting back from my week in Atlanta. A couple notes/thoughts about the city and the game

- Atlanta is a wonderfully weird and beautiful city. It's completely Alien to anything in we have in Canada or the Northeast/midwest of the U.S.. I've never seen a city just straight up give the middle finger to the concept of urban planning. Highly, highly recommend for anyone else who's interested to take that trip in the future. It'll be well worth your time and money.

- It is somehow hotter here than it is there.

- Mercedez-Benz stadium and the surrounding area is truly world class. The building is massive and looking from the outside really is a world class piece of Architecture.

- It may be just that they're new to watching soccer live regularly or it may just be that their American and they don't get it, but the fans don't exactly understand when to cheer. They'll lose their shit for any ball that ends up in our end even if it ends up going nowhere. They don't really get the consistency of how games are reffed either - they lost their shit at EVERY call. The security staff also don't seem to understand the whole away travelling support thing. I tried to get in with my son from a section over and, despite that they'd blocked off five or six rows of for TFC fans of which there were only thirteen people in them, they still refused to let us come over because the "tickets were already bought by someone so you can't sit there". Yeah, the team bought them for US.

- Atlanta are not all that great, tbh. They're devestating on the counter With Almiron, Villalba and Martinez (who is genuinely the best CF in the league by a mile and should be playing in Europe next year) but outside of that they really don't have great movement of creativity when trying to break down a bunkering team. They only attack with 3-4 players at a time and if that doesn't work they just send it out to the wing for a cross and hope that works.

- They're an extremely bratty and entitled group of players. Parkhurst and a couple others were having absolute conniptions on the field (presumably off camera) because they weren't better than us. They looked scared and panicked. If you can keep Almiron checked and Martinez covered they have no idea what to do.

- The Mavinga red was boneheaded But Almiron spat on him and walked away like a coward. There was no reason for Gonzalo Perez to be all the way up there in Mavingas face at that point either. The ref is as much to blame for the whole situation as anyone. He was calling a lot for us in the first and then for some reason completely reversed that after half.

- As a former keeper there's no fucking way that's a penalty. Even worse is that they decided not to review it. What is the point of VAR as it currently is used if that's not review-able? PRO is the #1 thing the league needs to address in the immediate future. It's embarrassing and alters the course of the season.

Other than that, I think that performance really is the indicator that we're back to who we were last year. We're not just talented, but we're easily the best coached team in the league. We switched formation 3-4 times by my count and kept giving them different looks they just didn't know how to handle. I think the rest of the season is gonna be a lot of fun.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the review. Glad u had a good time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“As a former keeper there's no fucking way that's a penalty. Even worse is that they decided not to review it. What is the point of VAR as it currently is used if that's not review-able? “

Supposedly, according to the telecast. They did review it and did not overturn it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, it wasn't a 'clear and obvious error'. It was still feasible for the ref to give a penalty there, so they can't overturn it unless he goes and watches it again himself. So it just stood as a bad call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    “As a former keeper there's no fucking way that's a penalty. Even worse is that they decided not to review it. What is the point of VAR as it currently is used if that's not review-able? “

Supposedly, according to the telecast. They did review it and did not overturn it.
    What I meant was the the ref didn't review it. From my understanding the guys in the box are supposed to tell the ref whether or not the call is disputable, and the ref has the job to go over and look at it again and make a decision on whether or not the call should stand. He didn't go to review it, which is what I found insane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    What I meant was the the ref didn't review it. From my understanding the guys in the box are supposed to tell the ref whether or not the call is disputable, and the ref has the job to go over and look at it again and make a decision on whether or not the call should stand. He didn't go to review it, which is what I found insane.
    I think it's more like they tell him it's disputable, it could go either way, and then it's up to him if he goes to view it on not.

Most of the time when the ref goes to view it I'm pretty sure they've told him it's a pretty clear bad call and he should definitely look at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's more like they tell him it's disputable, it could go either way, and then it's up to him if he goes to view it on not.

Most of the time when the ref goes to view it I'm pretty sure they've told him it's a pretty clear bad call and he should definitely look at it.
    Could be. We're not privy to the whole set up so we can only really guess. I've seen refs go to the booth and come out and have the call one the play stand a few times, so I doubt it's just for clearly egregious calls. All I know is that the system isn't working as is. It worked perfectly well at the world cup but this league can't seem to get through a weekend of games without some massive VAR fuck up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Could be. We're not privy to the whole set up so we can only really guess. I've seen refs go to the booth and come out and have the call one the play stand a few times, so I doubt it's just for clearly egregious calls. All I know is that the system isn't working as is. It worked perfectly well at the world cup but this league can't seem to get through a weekend of games without some massive VAR fuck up.
    One problem is that it is not clear why the standard is for what they review: is it a clear and obvious error, or is it to be correct? It seems to be both at different times.

In this case, multiple angles of replays showed that the keeper saved the shot by getting a hand on the ball. That’s clearly not a penalty. You don’t even have to analyze wheteher martinez deliberately ran into him (which he clearly did, watch his left knee on the replay) which is the only place where there was any doubt.

Thats one one of the reasons Vanney was so angry. Mavinga likely the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    One problem is that it is not clear why the standard is for what they review: is it a clear and obvious error, or is it to be correct? It seems to be both at different times.

In this case, multiple angles of replays showed that the keeper saved the shot by getting a hand on the ball. That’s clearly not a penalty. You don’t even have to analyze wheteher martinez deliberately ran into him (which he clearly did, watch his left knee on the replay) which is the only place where there was any doubt.

Thats one one of the reasons Vanney was so angry. Mavinga likely the other.
    Yeah I think we're agreeing it's the inconsistency of what refs will review and what they won't. I don't know how it came across on TV but the ref actually took a longer time talking into his earpiece after our second goal to make sure it was onside than he did considering the penalty. It's just nonsensical. And it's not like importing a bunch of good refs while you better invest in your domestic training program would be all that expensive or difficult.

Vanney was pretty angry because him and Martino were getting into it a little bit during the second half. There was an off-the ball altercation between Vazquez and Remidi that was basically harmless but Martino and the ATL coaching staff lost their shit trying to get the refs attention.

My biggest takeway from that game is that Atlanta were really rattled by how good we were. Mavinga red aside, we kept our cool and played our game the way we wanted to. Atlanta couldn't deal with it and completely lost their composure. I think that bodes really well if we seem them again in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There must be something going on wrt Mavinga. Nothing yet posted on the Discipline page, which was last updated yesterday and includes Elis' red from Sunday.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/topic/discipline