Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 95
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Voyageurs Semi Second Leg Ottawa @ TFC Wednesday July 25 7:30

    Anyone else super conflicted about attending with picket lines up after exhibition place workers were locked out? I was really looking forward to this game, more so than MLS games .. but may well have to sit it out since I can't in good conscience cross a picket line ... especially while I am also on strike.
    Last edited by flamehawk; 07-22-2018 at 12:32 PM.

  2. #2
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    18,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Funny the CBC warns the 100 or so Argo fans about not driving to watch their games, but not TFC fans.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    5,224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Anyone else super conflicted about attending with picket lines up after exhibition place workers were locked out? I was really looking forward to this game, more so than MLS games .. but may well have to sit it out since I can't in good conscience cross a picket line ... especially while I am also on strike.
    But you wouldn't be attending an event that had anything to do with this dispute.

    So just don't go on any rides and your conscience can remain clear.

  5. #5
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    18,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IATSE people work TFC games. IIRC, they do the fireworks and any rigging off the roof. There was a picket line in the South end for the Argo game on Saturday afternoon.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But you wouldn't be attending an event that had anything to do with this dispute.

    So just don't go on any rides and your conscience can remain clear.
    AND don't buy anything at the game to support the employer (the city takes a cut).

    I already bought my season tickets so I'm going because they already have my money (MLSE has nothing to do with this, just the city), but I'm not buying ANYTHING at the games.

    I sent a tweet DM to the union president suggesting that they hand out necklaces and bracelets in exchange for commitments to not buy anything at the games. Looks good on TV and raises eyebrows at the city and with big 'players' in the TFC world.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,109
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I actually have had a hard time finding any news on what both sides were seeking during the negotiation process.

    Can't really take a side under these circumstances. Wouldn't miss the game for that.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    AND don't buy anything at the game to support the employer (the city takes a cut).

    I already bought my season tickets so I'm going because they already have my money (MLSE has nothing to do with this, just the city), but I'm not buying ANYTHING at the games.

    I sent a tweet DM to the union president suggesting that they hand out necklaces and bracelets in exchange for commitments to not buy anything at the games. Looks good on TV and raises eyebrows at the city and with big 'players' in the TFC world.
    I haven't heard back from messaging them but let me know. Its a good point about mlse already having our money

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I actually have had a hard time finding any news on wwww.cbc.ca/amp/1.4756070hat both sides were seeking during the negotiation process.

    Can't really take a side under these circumstances. Wouldn't miss the game for that.
    www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4756070

    Seems like a big issue is exhibition place engaging in union busting by replacing these workers with nonunionized employees.. Kind of like what happened to graduate assistants here at York. But in this case, it's the employer that has formally locked the union out instead of workers going on strike.

    Also concerning is the city brining in scabs who apparently aren't doing the work completely to safety regulations.

  10. #10
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    18,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In other news, I wonder if we go with the same sort of lineup or bring in some of the recently injured to get a few minutes?

  11. #11
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    10,756
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In other news, I wonder if we go with the same sort of lineup or bring in some of the recently injured to get a few minutes?
    I would like to see Jozy get a good run out, but with him getting his legs can he go three games in a week with Chicago on Saturday. This may a good place for Victor to get an extended outing.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  12. #12
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ajax (Top O'114 on gameday)
    Posts
    3,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can't make it to the game on Wednesday but bringing my family down on Saturday so will be interesting to see what happens Wednesday. I need to drive down because of my wife's medical condition even though the CBC article is implying that is not a good idea. If these guys are going to try to stop people from entering the TFC game I don't see how that doesn't end up in several fights which doesn't exactly bring people to support these guys if they are down there picking fights with fans who are attending with tickets purchased almost a year ago. I get the whole be visible thing which they have a right to do but nobody should be allowed to physically force anyone to not go where they have a right to.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I haven't heard back from messaging them but let me know. Its a good point about mlse already having our money
    Yeah the president of the union replied to me, but I'm waiting for approval from him to post what he said. It was two hours ago, so I think they are pondering what to publish next.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In other news, I wonder if we go with the same sort of lineup or bring in some of the recently injured to get a few minutes?
    I say we run out the same lineup as the first leg with Oso as the captain. If things need adjusting bring in the big guns... Altidore, Vasquez, maybe Bradley (redundant if you have Oso in that position) or some of Rickets etc.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I can't make it to the game on Wednesday but bringing my family down on Saturday so will be interesting to see what happens Wednesday. I need to drive down because of my wife's medical condition even though the CBC article is implying that is not a good idea. If these guys are going to try to stop people from entering the TFC game I don't see how that doesn't end up in several fights which doesn't exactly bring people to support these guys if they are down there picking fights with fans who are attending with tickets purchased almost a year ago. I get the whole be visible thing which they have a right to do but nobody should be allowed to physically force anyone to not go where they have a right to.
    That's not how picket lines work. We aren't allowed to stop anyone but expect delays as the goal is, as rightfully so, to cause disruption to the employers functions. If you want to avoid delays, come early or park at liberty Village.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,109
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4756070

    Seems like a big issue is exhibition place engaging in union busting by replacing these workers with nonunionized employees.. Kind of like what happened to graduate assistants here at York. But in this case, it's the employer that has formally locked the union out instead of workers going on strike.

    Also concerning is the city brining in scabs who apparently aren't doing the work completely to safety regulations.
    I meant financial asks. Thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I can't make it to the game on Wednesday but bringing my family down on Saturday so will be interesting to see what happens Wednesday. I need to drive down because of my wife's medical condition even though the CBC article is implying that is not a good idea. If these guys are going to try to stop people from entering the TFC game I don't see how that doesn't end up in several fights which doesn't exactly bring people to support these guys if they are down there picking fights with fans who are attending with tickets purchased almost a year ago. I get the whole be visible thing which they have a right to do but nobody should be allowed to physically force anyone to not go where they have a right to.

    You should just give yourself time to get down there and calmly explain the situation if confronted. There will be police there to assist I imagine. I'd like to think people would respect your situation but these situations have been known to be silly season. If that's the case, you can probably get some assistance to a closer gate.

    Best of luck! Hope she enjoys!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,109
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I would like to see Jozy get a good run out, but with him getting his legs can he go three games in a week with Chicago on Saturday. This may a good place for Victor to get an extended outing.
    Yeah Jozy coming back and playing three times in 7 days scares the bejesus outta me.

    This is where the second team HAS to hold down the fort. Need very big things from Chapman et al.

  18. #18
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    18,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    That's not how picket lines work. We aren't allowed to stop anyone but expect delays as the goal is, as rightfully so, to cause disruption to the employers functions. If you want to avoid delays, come early or park at liberty Village.
    My understanding is the picket line for the Argo game was at the South entrances. Thus the mention of use transit & avoiding parking on the grounds. (well that & the Argo demographic drive).

    Going to be interesting if a line is set up coming across the street from the GO station. If that happens, could see a lot of people being ticked who come bang on time or slightly late.
    The % of people coming to this game that have never encountered a picket line would be quite large.

    5K or so of people trying to go somewhere being held up unexpectedly would be a bit of a congestion issue too.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-23-2018 at 10:51 AM.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    My understanding is the picket line for the Argo game was at the South entrances. Thus the mention of use transit & avoiding parking on the grounds. (well that & the Argo demographic drive).

    Going to be interesting if a line is set up coming across the street from the GO station. If that happens, could see a lot of people being ticked who come bang on time or slightly late.
    The % of people coming to this game that have never encountered a picket line would be quite large.

    5K or so of people trying to go somewhere being held up unexpectedly would be a bit of a congestion issue too.
    Hmm.. Well picket lines can't stop people, only cars so unless they camp out on Atlantic or liberty or something?

  20. #20
    RPB Member
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,856
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No way I would play Jozy. I'd play Osorio and have Seba on the bench if needed. A mostly B team beat Ottawa at their home and we only need a 0-0 tie.

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I haven't heard back from messaging them but let me know. Its a good point about mlse already having our money
    So here is what the union rep said to me:

    Hi Alonso, thank you for reaching out. A few of our members are TFC season ticket holders as well. We understand the financial hardship that it may be(not to mention the fact that your a fan). If you want to good by us, show up a little early, speak to one of the picketers who are wearing a high viz vest and tell them you support us and will not cross our line until we let you. That kind of support will mean a lot to us too. As well, write the mayor and let him know that you don’t want to cross our line to get to the game. Your idea is a good one and if it drags on, which I hope it won’t, we will look into stuff like that. Our beef isn’t with the fans, we want t be at the game too.




    Report this message sent 12 hours ago from Justin AntheunisDelete this message sent 12 hours ago from Justin Antheunis




  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I’d like to see Hamilton and Ricketts start together. They both need some minutes and it might be that Ricketts can run off Hamilton’s hold up play plus Oso’s passing. It was noticeable how much better Hamilton is than Akinola when he came on in Ottawa. Otherwise I generally agree with the idea to play the same players.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,109
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I’d like to see Hamilton and Ricketts start together. They both need some minutes and it might be that Ricketts can run off Hamilton’s hold up play plus Oso’s passing. It was noticeable how much better Hamilton is than Akinola when he came on in Ottawa. Otherwise I generally agree with the idea to play the same players.
    Any more about Rickets leaving? If not he should get a run in.

  24. #24
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    18,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Game Day

    are


    is not

  25. #25
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    10,756
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That just brought a smile to my face, glad the majority in 114 can have a good enjoyable time when the Reds secure the win to advance to the VCup Final !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Game Day

    are


    is not

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    is this game not on TV again??......nonsense.....

  27. #27
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mississauga / Sec. 111
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    is this game not on TV again??......nonsense.....
    Streaming Via CanadaSoccer.com
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

    AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

  28. #28
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    10,756
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    is this game not on TV again??......nonsense.....
    The VCup is a CSA property and for some reason this did not secure a TV partner for it this year.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    3,036
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe CPL games and Canadian Championships are being negotiated in one package for networks to pick up, so they're waiting for next year to televise with whoever picks up the rights?

  30. #30
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ajax (Top O'114 on gameday)
    Posts
    3,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not being on TV really sucks. I haven't missed a game since 2007 and now I will miss two games within a week. Most times I couldn't watch it live, in person or at home for away games, I was able to record it and watch it later. My schedule last week did not allow me to watch it and I couldn't even find highlights. Now this week I am in the same boat because I can't make it to the game and won't be able to watch it on my phone or anything. Oh well. Hope it is a good game and I can see the next round.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •