Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 156
  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think I am going to start treating these games like before 2014 & stop expecting anything in the way of a result. Will make it all just a little less stressful.
    This is sad but probably a sound idea

  2. #122
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Roncy--Sec 109
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That was brutal...I thought the people talking about the season being over were being premature...but not anymore. If we can’t beat Minnesota, who can we beat. And the painful thing is that the games aren’t even that fun to watch anymore.

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is it possible that the players have collectively decided to not play the first half of the year? I can't wait for the first game of the season this weekend.

  4. #124
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Season is basically over and it’s barely July, but we should not be upset as fans because we won everything last year lol, what a load of shit lol remember TFC the best team ever ya ok , how does MLSE reward TFC for winning it all last year , well they go out and buy the Argos and take one of the main Architects behind TFC’s season last year Bill Manning and take him away from full concentration on TFC and also make him president of the Argos, this is how MLSE rewards the only team to win anything since 1967 it’s crap like this that has me wanting to finally give up my seasons once and for all.

  5. #125
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To me there are two immediate issues...

    - Why do we try playing 3 CBs when we only have 2 available. Moving people into unnatural positions when it's not needed is crazy right now. We were much more solid after we switched to a back 4...
    - Irwin.... Wow he needs to be playing regularly on another team.

    Lots of other stuff to sort out like slow starts and team chemistry but sort out the simple stuff first.
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...


  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    im willing to give vanney another year but not bez...his off season has been brutal.vdw for 700k when he could of signed beita for 300k and is not a import. why give raises to mavinga and vasquez when they already had contracts.btw where is bez.have not heard from him for months

  7. #127
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Is it possible that the players have collectively decided to not play the first half of the year? I can't wait for the first game of the season this weekend.
    2013 TFC thinking


    Maybe, but it was nice to see some good plays & what a come back when you think about it & nice to see Seba get a goal from open play & hey the kids played well & .....



    2018 TFC thinking


    I think they thought they would just turn it on against DCU & were shocked when that didn't happen. Then Columbus - then NYC. Then NYRB. Now this game. One after another - shockingly badly played bits leading to goals that sap all their energy.


    This looks a lot like watching the team in 2015, back when the defence was bad and letting the team down all the time. When you can trust your defence, you can put a plan in place. The midfield executes better, the forwards don't mind a missed pass, people are not trying so hard to get more goals because you know you are not going to have to get 3 to have any chance of a result. These guys in front of those back 2 think they have to score more because they will always give up a goal.

    This defence is simply not good enough at this level. I know, Quintero scored some great goals tonight, but this is getting consistent each and every game. The centre of defence without Moor or Mavinga has been horrid. And, in this league, you HAVE to have at least 3 league quality CB's to succeed. We have 2 - both are injured.

    Yes, we miss the outlet of Altidore but Hamilton is now providing about the same quality of hold up play as the rest of the league gets from its #3 forward. And we are seeing that in the amount of chances we are getting.

    But...that defence.




    Wow, great fight back lads, just came too short. Nice to see some kids playing & Giovinco get a goal from play. Shame about the defence but that seems to be the issue every game and probably won't be fixed until we get our two startng CB's back - maybe then we can have some fun & get some good results. Looking forward to the Voyageurs and some games against some rivals and some good soccer down at the lake with people in the stands.

    Wow, great fight back lads, just came too short. Nice to see some kids playing & Giovinco get a goal from play. Shame about the defence but that seems to be the issue every game and probably won't be fixed until we get our two startng CB's back - maybe then we can have some fun & get some good results. Looking forward to the Voyageurs and some games against some rivals and some good soccer down at the lake with people in the stands.

    Wow, great fight back lads, just came too short. Nice to see some kids playing & Giovinco get a goal from play. Shame about the defence but that seems to be the issue every game and probably won't be fixed until we get our two startng CB's back - maybe then we can have some fun & get some good results. Looking forward to the Voyageurs and some games against some rivals and some good soccer down at the lake with people in the stands.

  8. #128
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    im willing to give vanney another year but not bez...his off season has been brutal.vdw for 700k when he could of signed beita for 300k and is not a import. why give raises to mavinga and vasquez when they already had contracts.btw where is bez.have not heard from him for months
    Don't forget Aketxe who wasn't even on the bench tonight.

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    We The North
    Posts
    7,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    At this point I can't wait next year for CPL. Done with MLSE and MLS.

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The game today was "lol".
    I still enjoy it, as I have since day 1.
    Winning is nice. But I just love soccer as a whole.

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    At this point I can't wait next year for CPL. Done with MLSE and MLS.
    bye bye

  12. #132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,650
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have a solution. Every player on TFC starts flopping, diving, and weeping at the first sign of contact.

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Despite what's happening I am still a fan, I will still be going to the stadium, I will still be watching on tv, and I will still be reading this forum. But man is this disappointing. I thought going into this season we would have a dynasty, the Real Madrid of MLS, with an ever growing fan base so that MLSE would have no choice but to expand BMO field to 40K because of the demand for tickets.

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Despite what's happening I am still a fan, I will still be going to the stadium, I will still be watching on tv, and I will still be reading this forum. But man is this disappointing. I thought going into this season we would have a dynasty, the Real Madrid of MLS, with an ever growing fan base so that MLSE would have no choice but to expand BMO field to 40K because of the demand for tickets.
    Great post. TFC is spending well above all the other clubs. They ran the league last year the added 2 more "DPs" in GVW and Aketxe. But because they relied on top players that are injury prone, plus their new Dps are underwhelming its been a total flop. They built last 2 season's teams on MLS veterans that have started to decline. Time to rebuild.

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Great post. TFC is spending well above all the other clubs. They ran the league last year the added 2 more "DPs" in GVW and Aketxe. But because they relied on top players that are injury prone, plus their new Dps are underwhelming its been a total flop. They built last 2 season's teams on MLS veterans that have started to decline. Time to rebuild.

    My concern is that MLSE is going to look at the loss in revenue from lower attendance, no play-off games, and decreased tv ratings and cut Manning's budget, which if it were to happen would make rebuilding a lot harder.

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    our dps are overpaid anyway.the new dp s will be younger and cheaper.mlse will not cheap out

  17. #137
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,927
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The current board's mo seems to be do what it takes to succeed - sure if you reach a plateau you can't get past, then fire people. But this team of management & coaches got past that plateau last year. It pretty much ran the table. That gives people a lot of leeway in the next few seasons. I think there will be some serious consideration as to the makeup of the squad moving forward & I fully expect a few players to be let go/traded come January.

    If we are sitting like this a year from now, Vanney will be fired.

  18. #138
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If we are sitting like this a year from now, Vanney will be fired.
    In all honesty, if we are rehauling the roster, you'll have to give Vanney another two years of leeway unless the team mutinied.

    Most of the decisions made by Bez/Vanney are defensible at worst. Aketxe was a young midfielder with a cannon of a foot who was brought in as a reclamation project (aka Mavinga and VdW). He even have Vazquez to vouch for him and convince him to come to Toronto. The red flags that were there was thought to be manageable.

    In hindsight, maybe we should have paid more attention to the red flags and his toxic attitude.

  19. #139
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ajax (Top O'114 on gameday)
    Posts
    2,732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think I am going to start treating these games like before 2014 & stop expecting anything in the way of a result. Will make it all just a little less stressful.
    I have been telling people this for a while now. As long as they don’t have a full team I am not expecting anything so I am not disappointed or stressed out and you know what, it works. Why can’t we be great? Season ticket price freeze anyone?

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In a salary cap league, an organization like MLSE has to find ways to judiciously spend money off the pitch.

    Last year the story with Jozy was "we've finally got his hamstrings where they need to be." They spent a lot of thought on how to keep those hammys healthy. So they're no strangers to this way of thinking.

    We've never had a winter/spring like this before, and obviously our medical/training staff wasn't ready, nor were the players. (Altidore's bone chips being the exception, everything else is muscle tears or ligament strains)

    Similarly, we've never had to face the winter with live grass before, and the pitch was pretty terrible in March and April.

    If we're going to be a dynasty, we have to fix the issues that lead to injuries, not jettison the players who many here are now describing as "injury prone." And that requires money and thought, and the money is where we're allowed to spend it.

    In the meantime, just get healthy and play well from August on. Oh, and win the V Cup.

  21. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,439
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I saw genuine effort, that is what I expect. But let me get this straight.

    We are not playing well, and didn’t win on the road in 35 degree heat on astroturf, with four of our 7 best players missing, in a capped league, which means....

    A bunch of people are done and not watching on TV anymore, or not watching at all....

    Like it's “unacceptable “. A meal you send back at a restaurant.

    This just tells me some of you guys didn’t understand “winning”, and you don’t understand “losing”.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-05-2018 at 07:08 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  22. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Holy f@$#ing shit... Fire Vanney, fire Bez... Blow up the team, get rid of our DP's..

    Before everyone goes off the deep end lets look at TFC at one point 0 healthy CB, they are still without 2 starters in the back, Jozy gets hurt. Show me any bloody team in the MLS with this many injuries and tell me what place they would be.. Look at Seattle they are in the same boat with injuries. I have said this multiple time the players have essentially a maximum 3 months off over the past 2 years. There is a mental fatigue that kicks in, let a lone a physical one...

    So if you are miserable stop watching go for a walk, blame the Argos, go sit and wait for the CPL and think of how great that league will be with a bunch of Ricketts and Dunns of the world.

    Seattle made the playoffs and they were 15 or 16 points out in August in 2016 (I don't remember the number), just let that sink in, before you write off anyone. All any team needs is a few injuries and they are more screwed then we are

  23. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,650
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Holy f@$#ing shit... Fire Vanney, fire Bez... Blow up the team, get rid of our DP's..

    Before everyone goes off the deep end lets look at TFC at one point 0 healthy CB, they are still without 2 starters in the back, Jozy gets hurt. Show me any bloody team in the MLS with this many injuries and tell me what place they would be.. Look at Seattle they are in the same boat with injuries. I have said this multiple time the players have essentially a maximum 3 months off over the past 2 years. There is a mental fatigue that kicks in, let a lone a physical one...

    So if you are miserable stop watching go for a walk, blame the Argos, go sit and wait for the CPL and think of how great that league will be with a bunch of Ricketts and Dunns of the world.

    Seattle made the playoffs and they were 15 or 16 points out in August in 2016 (I don't remember the number), just let that sink in, before you write off anyone. All any team needs is a few injuries and they are more screwed then we are
    You are right. In MLS two or three outstanding players can easily make the difference. Columbus without Higuain. Atlanta without their DPs. Currently, TFC is playing without;
    -the leagues top creative midfielder (Vasquez),
    -two of the best defenders in MLS (Mavinga and Moor)
    -the leagues most dynamic forward (Altidore)

    Other important parts have been injured, are playing injured, or slowly recovering.

    For me, losing Altidore and Mavinga, hurt the team more than anything. I notice in the TSN broadcasts, they rarely mention Mavinga, despite his playoff dominance last season.

  24. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Agreed

    Mavinga is the key. He allows the team to push up.
    Do we forget how many perfectly timed tackles he has made last year as the last man back?

  25. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I saw genuine effort, that is what I expect. But let me get this straight.

    We are not playing well, and didn’t win on the road in 35 degree heat on astroturf, with four of our 7 best players missing, in a capped league, which means....

    A bunch of people are done and not watching on TV anymore, or not watching at all....

    Like it's “unacceptable “. A meal you send back at a restaurant.

    This just tells me some of you guys didn’t understand “winning”, and you don’t understand “losing”.
    not to mention quintero had the perfect game

  26. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If they had played all game with the same urgency they played in the last 10 minutes, TFC could have won.
    That is this year's story.

    I said this before that both Zavaleta and Hagglund look like donkeys with cement boots out on the pitch, and look like they are going to fall over when the ball is at their feet, and I say it again, I know I will get others saying they are both serviceable CB. Not at this point.
    I know Hagglund has score some nice goals, but fuck our defending is amateur. Our leadership is non existent.
    Play with some fucking pride TFC.

  27. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    2

    Yes, we miss the outlet of Altidore but Hamilton is now providing about the same quality of hold up play as the rest of the league gets from its #3 forward. And we are seeing that in the amount of chances we are getting.

    But...that defence.




    Wow, great fight back lads, just came too short. Nice to see some kids playing & Giovinco get a goal from play. Shame about the defence but that seems to be the issue every game and probably won't be fixed until we get our two startng CB's back - maybe then we can have some fun & get some good results. Looking forward to the Voyageurs and some games against some rivals and some good soccer down at the lake with people in the stands.

    Wow, great fight back lads, just came too short. Nice to see some kids playing & Giovinco get a goal from play. Shame about the defence but that seems to be the issue every game and probably won't be fixed until we get our two startng CB's back - maybe then we can have some fun & get some good results. Looking forward to the Voyageurs and some games against some rivals and some good soccer down at the lake with people in the stands.

    Wow, great fight back lads, just came too short. Nice to see some kids playing & Giovinco get a goal from play. Shame about the defence but that seems to be the issue every game and probably won't be fixed until we get our two startng CB's back - maybe then we can have some fun & get some good results. Looking forward to the Voyageurs and some games against some rivals and some good soccer down at the lake with people in the stands.
    perhaps the fwd issue from day one was to give the starts to Hamilton to build his confidence. Hamilton is showing good improvement this year despite the crappy season. Rickets was pretty much a waste but i can see why they used him.

  28. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Analysis of TFC woeful defending last night: https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/stat...68579223023618

  29. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    imo there's something going on with this team's head(s)....

    stat brought up last night was 16 of 32 goals against this year have come in the first 15 minutes of the game.....50% of goals in the first 17% of the game....that's crazy...

    but this team did not stop fighting, and that is the only good thing I can say....

    17 games played....17 to go......we will make the playoffs.....and that's what it's all about.....

  30. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    The game today was "lol".
    I still enjoy it, as I have since day 1.
    Winning is nice. But I just love soccer as a whole.
    I concur, love of the game!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •