Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 16 - NYRB @ TFC Sunday July 1 4:30pm - I Feel Like A Stranger

Have at It People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hyped for this one!

Canada Day at BMO!
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the game. We turn the corner here.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be a brawl - NYRB always tries to get under TFC's skin. They sense weakness in TFC and will be licking their chops at the opportunity to get one over on the team that got by them last year in the playoffs.

They are going to try to run us into the ground through their press & bash people & get us off whatever game we have at the moment.

After Sunday, people are questioning the team's character. Well, this match will be the test of this team's character this MLS season. Come through this with heads up, we move on with diginity, even if we don't get to the playoffs. Play like they played in the last half of the game yesterday and this team deserves the derision the rest of the league has been & is going to throw at it.

Its also, IMHO, the test of the character of the supporter's in the stands, in all sections.

Up until now, for our whole history, its been relatively easy to come out- we lose, we cheer but we are happy -we are a happy few who just want to see games in our home town.

Then we start winning, we really get loud - we are all happy cause winning is fun. We gained something. We saw something.

Now we are losing again.

Are our supporter's, all of us, not just in the south & on the boards - are we actually "Toronto til I die"?

Do people come out to support the team...or do they come out to support winners?

Sure, holiday weekend - people may be away. And the World Cup is on (there are no games that day) so there might be some soccer fatigue.

But...

if you are truly "Toronto til I die", unless you got a family commitment - you should effin be there on Sunday & yelling your freaking head off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is going to be a brawl - NYRB always tries to get under TFC's skin. They sense weakness in TFC and will be licking their chops at the opportunity to get one over on the team that got by them last year in the playoffs.

They are going to try to run us into the ground through their press & bash people & get us off whatever game we have at the moment.

After Sunday, people are questioning the team's character. Well, this match will be the test of this team's character this MLS season. Come through this with heads up, we move on with diginity, even if we don't get to the playoffs. Play like they played in the last half of the game yesterday and this team deserves the derision the rest of the league has been & is going to throw at it.

Its also, IMHO, the test of the character of the supporter's in the stands, in all sections.

Up until now, for our whole history, its been relatively easy to come out- we lose, we cheer but we are happy -we are a happy few who just want to see games in our home town.

Then we start winning, we really get loud - we are all happy cause winning is fun. We gained something. We saw something.

Now we are losing again.

Are our supporter's, all of us, not just in the south & on the boards - are we actually "Toronto til I die"?

Do people come out to support the team...or do they come out to support winners?

Sure, holiday weekend - people may be away. And the World Cup is on (there are no games that day) so there might be some soccer fatigue.

But...

if you are truly "Toronto til I die", unless you got a family commitment - you should effin be there on Sunday & yelling your freaking head off.

there are 2 world cup games that day

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Gonna be a long, long, crazy, crazy night"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Me bad.... Need coffee before ranting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    The games will be over by then, provided the 2nd game doesnt go into extra time. Go early, hit up Joes, watch the game, go to stadium when its done.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS scheduling makes no sense, play at 4:30 on a summer day with heat and humidity and during the world cup but play at 8 pm during the colder spring months.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    MLS scheduling makes no sense, play at 4:30 on a summer day with heat and humidity and during the world cup but play at 8 pm during the colder spring months.
    It makes sense to the TV network, and sadly that's what matters. 8pm Fridays when the CFL isn't on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Weather Network has Sunday afternoon looking at 33C, feeling like 43. Drink plenty of fluids ladies and gents. Remember beer is a diuretic and causes dehydration. Beer, water, beer, water,....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be there in 112. Hat, shades, and sunscreen covering up all exposed areas.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything special planned for this Canada day game ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cincy View Post
    Is there anything special planned for this Canada day game ?
    There looks to be some some of pre-match rally at the Stanley Barracks https://www.torontofc.ca/2018/pre-match-rally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope the guys play the way they did in the second half against dc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coulda swore I was seeing 4pm kick off when I created this thread.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure it said 4pm originally. I had 4pm on my schedule as well.

I guess they moved half an hour to collaborate with World Cup. So luckily I can watch Croatia vs Denmark at Joes and head on over.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must win game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It makes sense to the TV network, and sadly that's what matters. 8pm Fridays when the CFL isn't on.
    I know this is traditional thinking on the subject (don’t go head-to-head with the incumbent and TV ratings rule all) but I question it’s value. For one, this is still a gate driven league in many respects and keeping those fans happy who attend in person matters. Second, hiding in the shadows of different TV time slots every year makes it ever harder to grow your viewership.

The issue is we have a partial owner (Bell / TSN) who has incentive to preserve CFL ratings and avoid two owned assets going directly head-to-head. But for the growth of soccer in this country the sport market is only so large and we have to dispose someone longer term (or eat part of their lunch) if advertising dollars are to show up in great quantities. Maybe this not to suggest we start kicking off at Saturday 7pm every week but let’s see some more consistency week-to-week, year-to-year in time slots.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coulda swore I was seeing 4pm kick off when I created this thread.
    Title changed to 4:30 for you.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I just hope the guys play the way they did in the second half against dc
    doubt it when it feels like 40C

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    Pretty sure it said 4pm originally. I had 4pm on my schedule as well.

I guess they moved half an hour to collaborate with World Cup. So luckily I can watch Croatia vs Denmark at Joes and head on over.
    They will also have the World Cup on big screens in the Barracks at the TFC pregame party across from BMO.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    One thing nice about that is NYRB's press is unlikely to occur for long either.

I think we are more likley to lose this one then win it but we are in with a chance.

I just want to see 90 minutes of actually trying hard - stop with the moping. None of that last half in NYC stuff.

We lost games

We don't look like making the playoffs.

We came one miss away from winning CCL

GET OVER IT

Play for the badge, play for each other, play for the crowd. Play for 90 minutes.

Just give it your all and if we don't win...at least we actually tried.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-29-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I meant with pride and spirit, like they have some fight in them. That first half against DC and second half against NYC were shocking, if we get that type of effort again we can concluded there is something wrong in the room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is Mavinga still in France?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Why is Mavinga still in France?
    I think he's injured.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game Day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should do a picture of everyone in the stands at kickoff, and then when final whistle blows. Will all be roasting like turkeys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing nice about that is NYRB's press is unlikely to occur for long either.

I think we are more likley to lose this one then win it but we are in with a chance.

I just want to see 90 minutes of actually trying hard - stop with the moping. None of that last half in NYC stuff.
    Today the weather isn't cooperating. I think we'll see water breaks at least once a half. I'd be surprised if either team has anything in the tank for the last 20 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vazquez and auro not in the 18. Starting lineup is missing a lot