Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that game was a gong show. Not sure how much i can blame the ref as it appeared that Colombia's intentions were not the most sportmanlike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think he altered the end result (that penalty was 100% legit). But as usual he misses so many calls players get frustrated and the game gets away from him.

Colombia looks like the SPL’s finest out there hacking everyone to death. At least nobody’s vertibre was cracked this time. Neymar hasn’t stopped rolling on the ground since that happened.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-03-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, I am amused that I was ragging on Uribe for showing nothing in either America’s CCL games v TFC, or in the WC... and then he unleashes that unreal blast that nearly went in and caused the corner that created the goal.

It was one of the greatest shots I have ever seen, even though it didn’t go in. Had it gone in, it would have been the goal of the century.

https://twitter.com/grimanditweets/s...050893319?s=21

Off course Uribe will likely be remembered more for the subsequent PK miss than anything else...
    Last edited by ensco; 07-03-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing about Geigar & that game.

US Soccer twitter was having a meltdown over him - going on and on about him & MLS officiating.

The rest of the world barely noticed his existence.

He might not get another game but I think he gets a semi out of this still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

US Soccer twitter was having a meltdown over him - going on and on about him & MLS officiating.

Well, the BBC write-up of the game did say this:

Referee Geiger lost the plot

American referee Mike Geiger's failure to clamp down on early misdemeanours led to him losing control of a game that Colombia seemed determined to turn into a battle.
    Instead of imposing his authority on proceedings with firm decision-making, he instead indulged in lengthy discussion with players from both sides on numerous occasions.
    It lead to Colombia, in particular, pushing him to the edge - although England were not total innocents, with both Henderson and Harry Maguire leaving themselves open to accusations of being over-theatrical and many others sailing close to the wind.
    This would have been a tough night for any referee, with players clearly failing to respect his decisions, and making no attempt to make the official's life easier, but it is to be hoped officials with a greater sense of authority are handed the huge games that remain here in Russia.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44610244

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night - nothing about the ref from Europe. Did the job in a tough situation.

This morning - all in on him in Europe but now the opposite in North America.

Weird.

Still think he gets another game but I'm also thinking they might make him the head VAR for the final - he's the most expereinced VAR there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Experiece is one thing, performance is another. Maybe he’s better looking at it in the booth than on the field?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night - nothing about the ref from Europe. Did the job in a tough situation.

This morning - all in on him in Europe but now the opposite in North America.

Weird.

Still think he gets another game but I'm also thinking they might make him the head VAR for the final - he's the most expereinced VAR there.
    Lots of Italian crews have been manning the VAR as well this tourney.....Serie A used VAR to a fair amount of success this year......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be very surprised if he gets another game, ever, in the World Cup. He got bullied by Columbia and was completely out of his depth, a little boy lost, and the rest of the world did notice.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    I'd be very surprised if he gets another game, ever, in the World Cup. He got bullied by Columbia and was completely out of his depth, a little boy lost, and the rest of the world did notice.
    Except he (and Marrufo for that matter), haven't been sent home by FIFA yet. Other refs who will no longer be used have been sent home. Another VAR assignment is probably more likely, but he's not out of running for semi final centre ref assignment.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Except he (and Marrufo for that matter), haven't been sent home by FIFA yet. Other refs who will no longer be used have been sent home. Another VAR assignment is probably more likely, but he's not out of running for semi final centre ref assignment.
    Maybe he'll be doing VAR....that's all he's good for.

Brilliant pun not intended.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems both him & Marrufo if they are to be in another game are going to be in as Refs or 4ths.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Oliver Platt wrote this about Mavinga & a few of the French playes- https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/tor...kylian-mbappe/

The video of the goal discussed is here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the first half of the Belgium-Brazil game, and *man* does Lokaku make me miss Jozy this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Just watched the first half of the Belgium-Brazil game, and *man* does Lokaku make me miss Jozy this season.

This.

The style similarities are striking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This.

The style similarities are striking.
    And what he does to create space for Hazard and de Bruyne...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geiger gets Head VAR for the Bronze game

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems suitable. MLS refs are quite experienced with VAR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe Fletcher gets VAR2 for the same game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So rather than keep hijacking someone else's thread (sorry Og) thought I would put this here.

TFC have had eight guys (in 13 seasons) who have played in a World Cup game for the USMNT: Bradley, Altidore, Convey, Findley, Gonzalez, Gomez, Edu, Buddle.

I believe we at the top of the MLS list for this, when adjusted for number of seasons played. This is kind of interesting and mind boggling, given that we have incentives to have Canadians, and we have had a lot of them.

I am not doing this for every team, but by way of comparison:

LAG have had 14 USMNT guys that saw the field in a WC final, over 24 seasons: Donovan, Buddle, Findley and Gonzalez, plus Alexi Lalas, Coby Jones, Jermaine Jones, Eddie Lewis, Gregg Berhalter, Paul Caligiuri, Frankie Hejduk, Clint Mathis, Pablo Mastroeni, Tony Sanneh.

In 24 seasons, NYRB have also had 14: Bradley, Altidore, plus Lalas, Mathis, Tony Meola, Jeff Agoos, Ricardo Clark, Bobby Convey, Brad Davis, Thomas Dooley, Eddie Pope, Tab Ramos, Claudio Reyna, and Peter Vermes.

In 24 seasons, DCU have had only 7. Sanneh, Convey, plus John Harkes, Eddie Johnson, Ben Olsen, Earnie Stewart, and Josh Wolff.

Houston Dynamo have had a number of prominent USMNT names in their 14 seasons, but they are behind us with 6 total: Clark, Davis plus DeMarcus Beasley, Geoff Cameron, Stuart Holden and Chris Wondoloski.

Sounders have only four in 11 years: Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Kasey Keller, and DeAndre Yedlin

I don't think it is even worth doing the math for any other team.

Like I said, this is kind of unreal. Name me another MNT where the club team with the most players that have played in the World Cup isn't in that country! (I momentarily thought about trying to figure this out for Brazil but then i realized that would take a super computer! But I am pretty sure that no single non Brazilian team could be close to a Flamengo...)
    Last edited by ensco; 05-03-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ensco - THANK YOU. This was a great discussion on the other thread. Really made my (at home) day! I think you should analyze the other teams too...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So rather than keep hijacking someone else's thread (sorry Og) thought I would put this here.

TFC have had eight guys (in 13 seasons) who have played in a World Cup game for the USMNT: Bradley, Altidore, Convey, Findley, Gonzalez, Gomez, Edu, Buddle.

I believe we at the top of the MLS list for this, when adjusted for number of seasons played. This is kind of interesting and mind boggling, given that we have incentives to have Canadians, and we have had a lot of them.

I am not doing this for every team, but by way of comparison:

LAG have had 14 USMNT guys that saw the field in a WC final, over 24 seasons: Donovan, Buddle, Findley and Gonzalez, plus Alexi Lalas, Coby Jones, Jermaine Jones, Eddie Lewis, Gregg Berhalter, Paul Caligiuri, Frankie Hejduk, Clint Mathis, Pablo Mastroeni, Tony Sanneh.

In 24 seasons, NYRB have also had 14: Bradley, Altidore, plus Lalas, Mathis, Tony Meola, Jeff Agoos, Ricardo Clark, Bobby Convey, Brad Davis, Thomas Dooley, Eddie Pope, Tab Ramos, Claudio Reyna, and Peter Vermes.

In 24 seasons, DCU have had only 7. Sanneh, Convey, plus John Harkes, Eddie Johnson, Ben Olsen, Earnie Stewart, and Josh Wolff.

Houston Dynamo have had a number of prominent USMNT names in their 14 seasons, but they are behind us with 6 total: Clark, Davis plus DeMarcus Beasley, Geoff Cameron, Stuart Holden and Chris Wondoloski.

Sounders have only four in 11 years: Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Kasey Keller, and DeAndre Yedlin

I don't think it is even worth doing the math for any other team.

Like I said, this is kind of unreal. Name me another MNT where the club team with the most players that have played in the World Cup isn't in that country! (I momentarily thought about trying to figure this out for Brazil but then i realized that would take a super computer! But I am pretty sure that no single non Brazilian team could be close to a Flamengo...)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think it just boils down to a rare combination of a crappy national team (don't hate me - I still love them, but they have had 0 World Cup appearances since MLS started) and a relatively decent, middle-of-the-road league. I honestly can't think of a decent comparator.

Edit: Actually, maybe one of the teams in China would work (because of the pay, not the league quality)
    Last edited by JonO; 05-08-2020 at 09:04 AM.