Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defense tightened up in the second. Still major injury related problems. Osorio brilliant finishing.

Great result - well needed. Bono brilliant. Bradley back to his usual as DM.

Ricketts...I can't remember seeing a player lose form this badly. Pulling out of a 1 on 1 ....60:40...that will get you punted for good in Glasgow.

Telfer - looked the business coming on the second half. Really nice to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job guys!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see. Not out of the woods yet, but what a relief !!

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley with some bad passes/turnovers, but, less noticiable from the midfield. Never really creates anything out of the back. Osario more valuable to this team than Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Bradley with some bad passes/turnovers, but, less noticiable from the midfield. Never really creates anything out of the back. Osario more valuable to this team than Bradley.
    haha this is nuts.

Bradley is, when playing in his favored position, the best MF in the league. Osorio is very good, and has taken a great leap forward this year, but he's not close to as valuable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando loses tomorrow in Van, which is likely I think, and we beat D.C. at home on Tuesday the gap between us and the playoffs is 2 points with 20 games remaining.

We're gonna be just fine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chapman had a crap game - I blame his new hair colouring.

But, apart from that, I'm having problems trying to find a weak link there tonight. Sure, Hasler & Hagglund were finding their legs. And Hernandez is really the #5 choice back there. But Auro & VDW were immense tonight with their work rate.

As for the Bradley take, well he was involved in the first goal with a crisp pass so...

Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-08-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Hot take. Men's dungarees more valuable to this team than pennywhistles. Whoop whoop!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TFC secret sauce: play Bradley at DM, win.

Seems Vanney has seen the light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The TFC secret sauce: play Bradley at DM, win.

Seems Vanney has seen the light.
    I'm sure He would have loved to have Bradley play DM every time, but having literally no CB's and like 2 sort of healthy full-backs made that pretty difficult. I don't see what else he could have done.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 06-08-2018 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here.
    The time to sell Seba is sooner rather than later. He has lost a step, does not beat anyone 1v1. Philly is hardly a lockdown defending team, but Seba was smothered. The second goal (his assist on Osorio) was a gift, Philly threw the ball to him wide open.
    He is also not showing any maturity, coolness or leadership. After the contact to his face in the second half, he did not get his head back in the game for minutes. If Toledo did not give him a yellow card on his payback tackle, we are in strange territory. Toledo more restrained than our striker. He is not earning a pay raise out there. Maybe a loan during the offseason? Maybe a contract offer that allows TFC to sign another striker?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    I am throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here.
    The time to sell Seba is sooner rather than later. He has lost a step, does not beat anyone 1v1. Philly is hardly a lockdown defending team, but Seba was smothered. The second goal (his assist on Osorio) was a gift, Philly threw the ball to him wide open.
    He is also not showing any maturity, coolness or leadership. After the contact to his face in the second half, he did not get his head back in the game for minutes. If Toledo did not give him a yellow card on his payback tackle, we are in strange territory. Toledo more restrained than our striker. He is not earning a pay raise out there. Maybe a loan during the offseason? Maybe a contract offer that allows TFC to sign another striker?
    Maybe Seba is not playing so well BECAUSE of his contract situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Maybe Seba is not playing so well BECAUSE of his contract situation.
    Which is fuel to my fire. Osorio is right there, showing the way. The petulance of Seba is grating. with Moor Mavinga Morrow and Altidore all injured, this was Seba's chance to show he is fundamental to TFC success. Instead he shows that the others are required. What if Toronto can't afford Osorio and he pursues Europe or Mexico? Does TFC want to lock up a Designated Player spot for a guy (Seba) that indicates that he will be less of a player and less of a leader? I think it was either here or on twitter last night... somebody said "put a gun to my head and say that I can only have Osorio or Giovinco on TFC, right now I would say Osorio"...
    Maybe something snapped with me last night, who likes having guns to the head?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think last night was a particularly good example of Giovinco’s play. He had no service at all the entire night. Still got an assist. Is that 6 in the league this year? He’s been our best player overall throughout the CCL for sure and the league imo. It’s a god topic of debate though. I’m sure TFC is having it internally.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of thoughts, some mentioned above some not:
    - Overall a very decent result against a team higher in the standings.

- Philly could easily have had 2 goals, so we were a bit lucky. But we could easily have had 5-6, so they were luckier.

- That pass/shot? by Auro across an open goal, with Seba standing there with acres of space & ready for a tap in, was so painful. There were other similar situations.

- Bradley was mentioned RE bad passes, and he had a few howlers, but he also gets the ball more than about anyone else, and usually in the most dangerous situations.

- Tied to that: despite the overall good result, I was amazed how un-focussed TFC looked at times. Almost every TFC player had multiple situations like that. Although they looked to be trying hard, they couldn't snap out of it consistently.

- Tied to that: I just think the team often looks EXTREMELY TIRED. Shortest off-season; all those extra games, many of them on crappy surfaces and/or crappy weather; incredible numbers of players injured; and others having to play out-of-position, or more than Vanney would want to play them.

- Consistency was one of TFC's greatest strengths in the last few years. But that goes out the window when you have big holes & heavy rotation in the squad as mentioned above.

- WC break can't come soon enough, and I WISH they had managed to fit the DC home game somewhere else, for the benefit of the pitch & the team.

- Back to yesterday, a number of situations where the team just didn't play smart considering their situation. E.g. Hernandez & Hagglund are both fairly slow. (Hagglund was never the fastest, but is obviously still just coming back from a lengthy layoff.) But considering that, and considering that Vanney wanted to be smart and careful on D, they were often pulled way too far forward, with not enough midfield defensive cover. Philly has some speedsters but luckily couldn't take advantage.
    One of demine's headlines from Friday was "TFC thinking defence first heading into date with Philadelphia Union" but they often didn't play that way.

- Seba can be annoying with his pouting, but watch closely for the shit he puts up with non-stop, especially against a team like Philly that obviously emphasizes pressing, grabbing & hacking in defensive & defensive midfield. Plus Toledo doesn't call much anymore (and he's no longer the red & yellow card machine he used to be). At one point in the 2nd half, a Philly player clearly had his hands on Seba's throat, pushing him away from the ball just inside the top of the penalty area. I think Toledo would have whistled a foul anywhere else, but was too chicken to call the PK that he should have.

- Seba CLEARLY misses Altidore. Altidore soaks up (and dishes) pressure and abuse that is now all focussed on Seba. None of our other forwards are remotely capable of fulfilling that role. (Can't TFC find a semi-decent bruiser that can tap in a few goals for decent pay?)

- As others have mentioned, something is clearly amiss with Ricketts. I wonder if he's carrying a slight injury, or just lost a massive step since last season. Balls over the top late in the game (and effusive effort) used to be his bread and butter. Both the speed and the effort seem to be gone.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-09-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People, Ricketts hasn’t lost a step, this IS Tostaint Ricketts for the entirety of his career. His early TFC form was well above his historical production levels.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow and this from a win.

So much trade talk. That is, "get rid of em'" talk.

Glad for the 3 points. Glad we have a quick opportunity for another 3 before Cup break.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    People, Ricketts hasn’t lost a step, this IS Tostaint Ricketts for the entirety of his career. His early TFC form was well above his historical production levels.

^^That wasn't aimed at you ags. You know I love Ricketts (love supporting him) but other than keeping him to limited time to keep him just fresh enough for his Canada all time goals...I realize he's not more than he is now.

And without the odd goal to pick up after Seba et al ala Oso this year Ricketts won't be around for many more seasons.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the game vs Columbus, playing against slumpbusters Philly was fortunate. (TFC owns Philly) With crappy DCU up next, it's good for TFC. 7 pts in 3 games (if win against DCU next game) is good and get back on track.

The Good: Oso being the man. I don't think TFC can hold on to him after this season. He may even be gone in the summer. And he should take the opportunity to do other things in his career before that window closes. Also, Bono stoning 2 Philly breakaways.

The Bad: Just sloppiness esp defending at times. Mavinga can't come back fast enough.

The Ugly: Rosenberry's hilarious throw in to Giovinco to Osorio goal.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not at all concerned.

Toronto was hot for 2 years, including a deep run to the finals in CCL.

We're banged up, out of form; and we're hanging around.

If we don't get healthy, we're probably going to have a lacklustre year.

If we get Altidore, Mavinga, Morrow back and we have enough time (20 games) for Giovinco, Aketxe, Bradley and/or Vazquez to catch fire. Add that to VDW, Auro and Osorio and Bono and we're going to be okay.

We just need to hover around 7th in the conference; not LOSE control; then make a giant push towards the middle of the table and find our selves in 4th-6th in the conference and we are seriously going to be a dangerous first round appointment for Columbus or NY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a fit team again we will go deep in the playoffs - no question about it. For me the big question is Aketexe - I still feel at aome point he come good and if yhat happens we will start destroying good teams. I’d trade Rickets in the window. I hope Delgado get’s his confidence back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts had a thyroid problem in the pre season. I wonder if it is still affecting him somehow? The only game that he has looked like himself was Columbus.

the team looks tired , beat up, and out of gas. I wonder if the CCL run ,want that they were not able to lay the fitness base that a preseason normally allows. Vasquez vs Columbus in the second half was walking, for example

and I don’t agree about Gio at all. He has played some of his best soccer for us this year. Not the singlehanded kind of brilliance, but the make everyone around you better kind of brilliance.. Gretzky had the same metamorphosis.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yes he has lost a step, in straight-up speed and effort. In the past he was able to get onto those long balls, or at least try damn hard. I'm not expecting him to necessarily score as a result or be reliable, that's not the Ricketts we know. Just to get there (and help to stretch their D as a result). As MightyDM mentioned, Ricketts had a thyroid problem, which can really mess with your whole body & conditioning, so maybe that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    - That pass/shot? by Auro across an open goal, with Seba standing there with acres of space & ready for a tap in, was so painful. There were other similar situations.
    I hope you're not suggesting Seba should have had that? If he had been forward enough to tap that in, he'd have been offside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and Philly are dirty pricks.