Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Barrios is so good. Would trade Jozy for him + a bagload of TAM/GAM in a heartbeat.
    Jozy is the most important player on this team. The only man who can finish and hold up the ball, win headers and connect with teammates in the final third. Last player to ever be traded. All these games prove that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more bothered by the Mavinga/Hagglund injuries, than by the result.

Also I think that Aketxe and Delgado not being in the 18 may be a sign of internal problems or turmoil. I hope I am wrong.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are running out of ideas on the o front.give it to telfer and cross it to our 5 ft 5 striker .its 1970s scottish soccer mo would be proud.man do we miss jozy.bez spending over 1 mil on right backs when had kept beta for 300k and 1.2 mil on a mid that cant find the field i say bez has lost the off season,saying that with all the injuries we still should of won all of these games on th this home stand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am more bothered by the Mavinga/Hagglund injuries, than by the result.

Also I think that Aketxe and Delgado not being in the 18 may be a sign of internal problems or turmoil. I hope I am wrong.
    apparently aketxe and delgado have the ever popular they felt some tightest ,man this team is made out of glass this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game was a tough one to swallow. We easily could have and should have won this game. Bradley had a poor game, Ricketts has already mentally left for the CPL. He won't run for anything and has the same finishing touch as me. This team needs to try and figure it out. I have never seen a team bitten by the injury bug quite like this. It is almost laughable now how surreal these injuries are becoming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    this was a very strange game from Giovinco
    he looked like the soul has been ripped out of him
    he had a terrible game by Giovinco standards yet he had the highest audi index of any tfc player
    he looked like he had no passion for the game
    his body language was very bad, no fire in him tonight
    i thought it looked like he was deliberately not trying or if not that definitely not giving his best effort, that is for sure

he may be done mentally with this league
    I think it was just frustration of nothing going right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Jozy is the most important player on this team. The only man who can finish and hold up the ball, win headers and connect with teammates in the final third. Last player to ever be traded. All these games prove that.
    Great part of that deal would be opening up a DP spot, so that you could replace Jozy whilst gaining a valuable player and allocation money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I'm not prepared to give up on Aketxe so soon. There have been a few games where his vision and passing ability have looked really good. I recall the game against Seattle where he had the ball just outside his penalty area and made what was about a 30 yard pass upfield to Vazquez that was right on his foot. I believe technically he is stronger than Chapman or Delgado, both of which are known quantities. To me he currently is an unknown quantity so if I am Vanney I would play him next to Vazquez over a significant stretch of games to get a really good assessment of what he can do. He is still only 24 years old, he came here not being able to speak the language, he probably never played in such cold temperatures, or on a pitch that resembles a cow pasture, and MLS is a more physical league compared to La Liga. He may very well need an adjustment period. As long as Jozy is out I would only go with a single striker and use 5 midfielders. No sense in wasting a starting spot on Hamilton or Ricketts neither of which have the ability to be nothing more than reserves. Nothing else seems to be working so why not give Aketxe a decent run. We are now in all likelihood playing for next season's roster spots.
    He’s more skilled than Delgado but so far has shown to be far less useful. With Vasquez already taking a starting spot, anybody else who we put out there needs a strong motor and needs to be relentless about chasing down balls. Doesn’t seem to have that desire.

I’d dispute the idea MLS is more physical than La Liga. La Liga may not be known for its physicality but at worst it’s a top 3 league in the world and it has world class athletes who are all strong / technical / tactically aware. The league demands it. Aketxe also never really established himself in La Liga, despite having lots of potential. He spent most of his time in the Spanish second division.

MLS is physical for its level of play not all that physical on a world class level. I’ll use my tired example of TFC playing Liverpool’s subs at sky dome. From field level it looked like our guys shrunk in the wash and they were raging monsters. Luckily they were gracious guests and we kept up with them nicely for 90 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of that Liverpool game at Skydome, did Mavinga play in that game? I vaguely remember him playing. Sorry, that’s not on topic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the headline is that their GK was great, and stoned us. Irwin was great to, btw. Unlucky on the goal. The Dallas guy pulled his shot right onto the toe of Urruti

Telfer is terrific. Good on the ball, has speed, not knocked off the ball easily. Everything went through him, especially in the second half (which isn’t right, for a raw rookie) because only he consistently was beating his man.

Seba cannot buy a break. On another night he might have had four goals.

Bradley got caught ball hawking along the sideline on the goal. You cannot break shape to hunt balls down as a CB. That happened against Seattle too.

Vanney has a lot going on. That was a lineup that has never played together, and it showed. Dallas adjusted at halftime, we couldn’t (that ability to flow between formations is gone with all the newbies). Also I don’t think I believe that Aketxe and Delgado were injured.

23 games to go.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-26-2018 at 07:56 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand not playing Hagglund to start as he comes back from injury. What I don't understand is we hired Hernandez and have him sitting on the bench. Surely Hernandez on the back line & Bradley back in the middle is better then Bradley in the back line & Frasier as the DM. Frasier had a decent game but there is no better DM in this league then Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Great part of that deal would be opening up a DP spot, so that you could replace Jozy whilst gaining a valuable player and allocation money.
    My only beef with Altidore is his durability. What else can we say? When he plays the guy is a monster and the heart and soul of the team.

The obvious asset we have here to gain allocation money is Osorio. And I only say that as he’s in the last year of his deal and there’s no guarantee he resigns. You free him up in the summer, maybe we land some decent Garber Bucks or a smallish transfer free. Delgado snaps out of it and starts feeling more settled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Telfer is terrific. Good on the ball, has speed, not knocked off the ball easily. Everything went through him (which isn’t right, for a raw rookie) because only he consistently was beating his man.
    He did fine, but I think 90% of our attack ran through Auro in actuality.

Still debating whether that was good fullback attacking play with a lack of targets in the box or a lack of creativity that pigeon holed us into one form of attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He did fine, but I think 90% of our attack ran through Auro in actuality.

Still debating whether that was good fullback attacking play with a lack of targets in the box or a lack of creativity that pigeon holed us into one form of attack.
    Hedges mopped up every cross. Yet we kept doing the same thing with no targets in the box. To your point I think it was lack of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope Vanney:
    1.STOPS playing Bradley in defense
    2.STOPS starting Ricketts or Hamilton
    3.Finds a way to make Aketxe fit (maybe up top behind Giovinco and Vasquez?)

On the bright side, it looks like Fraser and Telfer might be the ‘real deal’. Good for TFC and Canada! 🇨🇦

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I can understand not playing Hagglund to start as he comes back from injury. What I don't understand is we hired Hernandez and have him sitting on the bench. Surely Hernandez on the back line & Bradley back in the middle is better then Bradley in the back line & Frasier as the DM. Frasier had a decent game but there is no better DM in this league then Bradley.
    Yeah, what's up with Hernandez?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yeah, what's up with Hernandez?
    His wheels are probably gone. He's technically very good but is probably a late game player only at this point, as he'd leave too much space behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prediction

during summer transfer window
    aketche gone
    we get new CB with the aketche money

midfield is not the problem, CB is the problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s likely part of the injury problem relates to having to ramp up to game speed so quickly for the CCL without a proper pre-season. Wasn’t time for base building for this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prediction

aketche gone

Goal scoring is the problem. 14 goals in 11 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It’s likely part of the injury problem relates to having to ramp up to game speed so quickly for the CCL without a proper pre-season. Wasn’t time for base building for this season.
    Vanney also admitted we rushed guys back for CCL games when they really needed more time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prediction

aketche gone

That may not be so easy, and it may not be in the club's best interests. If TFC try's to unload him in Europe so soon he will be perceived as a bust, not being able to play in MLS, and its doubtful any club would want him. Given his salary its doubtful any MLS team would take him. The only way to get rid of him may be to take on a player that another club doesn't want, or give up TAM in exchange for another MLS club agreeing to take him, which I don't believe we have a lot of right now. I think he is here for the season. I stand by my earlier comments whereby the club should give him a good run of games to see if he comes around. Since nothing else seems to be working we really don't have anything to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. The problem with Bradley at centre-back is that although he lines up at centre-back to start the game, he plays too far up the field as if he were a DM and continues to get caught on the counter-attack. This happened against both Dallas and Seattle with the ball ending up in our net.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 05-26-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm chalking this one up to Gonzalez standing on his head for his birthday game. I also wonder if the state of the pitch might have something to do with the injuries - the replacement can't come soon enough. I though Aketxe was on loan, or is that Auro? I think the World Cup will be a welcome break for the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm chalking this one up to Gonzalez standing on his head for his birthday game. I also wonder if the state of the pitch might have something to do with the injuries - the replacement can't come soon enough. I though Aketxe was on loan, or is that Auro? I think the World Cup will be a welcome break for the team.
    Auro is on loan with an option to buy.

Aketxe was a transfer, but Bilbao have a 'first right of buyback' clause if we try to move him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    World Cup isn’t really a break. We have the remake match against DC United. We have 9 days off at most I believe.

Here’s a controversial thought: we miss Armando Cooper.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We miss Allan Gorden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We miss Allan Gorden.
    did you see that shot!!
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...s/video/155285

this gets back to an earlier point I made, Do not start Toisant, he is a poor mans Allan Gorden.
    if Tois can come in at 70 minutes and do what Gorden does he can be in this league for a long time
    gotta stick with Hamilton till Jozy gets back, I said that at the game when I saw the lineups
    I know Hamilton is not that good but he is the best we got. and if he starts we got Tois at 65-70 minute mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Ricketts ver had a good game when he started? Maybe the Columbus game last year when ye scored 2? Most of his production it seems comes as a sub. Would like to see the stats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Has Ricketts ver had a good game when he started? Maybe the Columbus game last year when ye scored 2? Most of his production it seems comes as a sub. Would like to see the stats.
    Pretty sure he was a sub that game.

Only game I can think of where he started and scored is the Galaxy game last year when we steamrolled them 4 nil