Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Other MLS Games This Weekend - May 19-21st

Saturday

Colorado @ NYCFC 1pm
    A mismatch that NYC needs.
    3-1 for the home team

LAFC @ Portland 3:00pm
    The annual "Why are we playing a game at noon" day in Portland.
    2-2 draw

Vancouver @ Dallas 4pm
    Another game in the heat for the team that seems to be wilting.
    3-1 Dallas win

Columbus @ NER 7:30pm
    Columbus quietly putting together a steady season. NER is due for a home breakdown
    2-1 Columbus win

RSL @ Philly 7:30pm

RSL's defence is banged up almost as bad as ours. Philly really inconsistent.
    2-2 draw

DCU @ San Jose 10:30pm
    STINKER of the Week Worst team in the East vs arguably the worst in the West
    1-1 draw

Sunday

SKC @ Minnesota 2:00pm
    Best team in the west versus the team that doesn't draw games.
    2-1 SKC win

Houston @Chicago 4pm
    Don't sleep on this game. Worth a watch. Chicago has gone to an interesting man marking scheme. Houston is fast - should be a good test
    2-1 Chicago

NYRB @ Atlanta 7pm
    GAME OF THE WEEK
    A true test of Atlanta's vaunted home form. NYRB's defence is organized. They will not be fazed by the speed of Almiron & co. Pressing will create quick ball movement @ the less then perfect Atlanta defence. A game that will not stop until its done.
    3-2 NYRB

Monday

LAG @ Montreal 3pm
    Montreal is a better team then LAG who are dysfunctional & poorly coached.
    3-1 for Montreal

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Dallas. Urruti made it 2-nil, then an own goal, then give up a penalty. Kei Kamara ties the latest goal in league history to make it a draw for Vancouver. Interesting stuff...

That goal puts him 2 away from DeRo all-time.

Salt Lake were shocking but had one beauty goal. Some strangeness with a rare Rimando bobble and goal against that was called back?

And San Jose were even more shocking. DC just had their way with them.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-20-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NE and Chicago games went in our favour. Pity about Philli, but you can’t have everything. How do we want the Atlanta/NYRB game to go? A victory for the energy drinks to peg back the SS leaders, or an Atlanta win keeping the RBs within touching distance. It could well be 4th place is the best we can hope for this season given our disasterous start. Gives us a home wild card game. I’m not to phased by the rounds after that as we have got plenty experience of two legged ties recently, especially playing at home in the first leg. Reeling in a nine point gap feels much more achievable especially given our up coming schedule with a still weakened squad. Perhaps if we achieve that in a timely manner we can worry about the top three sides at that time.

I find it hard to root for Atlanta though. I dont know what it is about them, but I just cant stand them as a team. Maybe it jealousy, I know I should be lapping up their beautiful flowing football, and in awe of their awesome support, but I find everything about them irritating. From their dour coach to their silly A-T-L chant, from Martinez and his ridiculous haircut, to Almiron and that stupid grin of his, I find them thoroughly annoying.

Back to TFC however and this Friday against a resurgent Dallas side this season is another huge game with another three points for TFC an absolute must. Although we have a weakened side Seba will be back and watching their game against Vancouver, Dallas has its defensive frailties. We need to take advantage of them and keep this upturn in results going
    Last edited by General Woolfe; 05-20-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You forgot the fake grass at Atlanta. Big team my ass. Big teams dont play on turf

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    You forgot the fake grass at Atlanta. Big team my ass. Big teams dont play on turf
    They just play on chewed up mud pits instead
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldnt agree more. It should be a pre-requisite for all MLS sides to have a grass pitch. However theres not much hope of that when the league allows teams to play on a baseball diamond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looked like Lawrence might have dislocated his should here. Seems a nasty one whatever it is. Hopefully not a neck injury but it looks that way the way he is braced up on the stretcher. Hope the guy is okay.
    Last edited by General Woolfe; 05-20-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Couldnt agree more. It should be a pre-requisite for all MLS sides to have a grass pitch. However theres not much hope of that when the league allows teams to play on a baseball diamond
    I'd rather a team play in a baseball diamond in the city they represent and draw 28k, then in a soccer-specific stadium in a different state and draw 18k though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'd rather a team play in a baseball diamond in the city they represent and draw 28k, then in a soccer-specific stadium in a different state and draw 18k though.
    Whilst you have a point they should be called New Jersey Red Bulls, Red Bull Arena blows Yankee Stadium out of the water in terms of being a soccer facility. Its a farce trying to play on a Baseball field. Its far too narrow. NYCFC should never have been given a francise until they had plans in place for a soccer specific site. Its another example, if needed, of how MLS favours the larger markets of NYC & LA over the rest of us.

Impressive win by the Red Bulls tonight. Although the result probably didnt do us any favours, its nice to know Atlanta can be humbled in their own building

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whilst you have a point they should be called New Jersey Red Bulls, Red Bull Arena blows Yankee Stadium out of the water in terms of being a soccer facility. Its a farce trying to play on a Baseball field. Its far too narrow. NYCFC should never have been given a francise until they had plans in place for a soccer specific site. Its another example, if needed, of how MLS favours the larger markets of NYC & LA over the rest of us.

Impressive win by the Red Bulls tonight. Although the result probably didnt do us any favours, its nice to know Atlanta can be humbled in their own building
    Agreed that Red Bull Arena is top notch as a facility, but that is to view the stadium in isolation. It ignores the ridiculous geographical context it exists in consideration of the market, it is supposed to serve, which is New York.

With regards to favouring markets, they kind of have to don't they? What is MLS' reach without LA and NY teams? There is a level of compromise that needs to exist when the league wants to have teams in LA or NY at this point in its development. In my opinion, it delegitimizes teams to have them play outside their city. It's obvious when you compare the relevance and market presence of the NY clubs that NYC has clearly become the bigger club in a significantly shorter period of time. And it's hard to not attribute that to their community outreach underpinned by their stadium location. Red Bulls could never pull off the campaigns NYC does because at the end of the day they're telling people to come support your New York team in New Jersey.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Good points all but really its semantics. We all have slightly different priorities in ranking what's worse in a stadium situation in this league. There are plenty to choose from. I'd say we agree that we want to see every city have a SSS in the city they represent.

I won't go to the Bronx bomber stadium to see Toronto play but I've been to Jersey, Bridgeview, Chester, and worst of all for me is Foxborough. It combines the distance and NFL first experience for any supporter hoping to visit Boston. But everyone will have their biggest worst choice. I prioritize these things when I think of travel. We all know how much it costs to be away support in this league of ours.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite a clear video of the Martinez foul many Atlanta fans maintain the goal should have counted. Claiming it was incidental contact.
    Some also say Garza's red is wrong because he got the ball first or that he didn't intend to drive his studs into the RB player's knee.

They're freaking crazy and by far most obnoxious fanbase. Check them out on reddit and twitter for laughs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zlatan slaps Petrasso in the back of head, gets sent off. Welcome to Zlatan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compare that slap to the face to Giovinco’s touching of the New England players face, Zlatan should be given at least two games or more he slapped Petrasso’s face with a certain force where as Giovinco was merely a gentle touch to the face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both MTL and LAG are a mess. LA is drastically underperforming with Sigi but at face value have a decent roster.
    The Impact...wow, they look lost. There’s no balance through the midfield and Remi Garde appears to be in a competition with Carl Robinson each week to see who can field the most non-sensical and ridiculous lineup. I don’t think he lasts the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Both MTL and LAG are a mess. LA is drastically underperforming with Sigi but at face value have a decent roster.
    The Impact...wow, they look lost. There’s no balance through the midfield and Remi Garde appears to be in a competition with Carl Robinson each week to see who can field the most non-sensical and ridiculous lineup. I don’t think he lasts the season.
    The plan to break down the Galaxy defense was
    Plan A- Chip pass to the left edge of the goal which would either go out of bounds or easily caught by the GK
    Plan B- Long range shot from a midfielder launched almost out of the stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Do the Impact even have someone that's the equivalent of a Bill Manning, in other words, a president who oversees the entire operations at least on the technical side of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Do the Impact even have someone that's the equivalent of a Bill Manning, in other words, a president who oversees the entire operations at least on the technical side of it?
    Would it matter who is president if the owner isn't willing to put money into the squad or maintain the pitch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick de santis is the Vp with only the owner joey saputo above. He keeps holding a position of authority despite the club nosediving since the 2016 semi final loss to tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    They just play on chewed up mud pits instead
    i thought it was sand dunes

and thats only for important games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 of 10 wrong and the DC San Jose game was the most exciting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Hi.

Putting you on the ignore list.

Bye.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what he's saying, is when betting, always go with Opposite Og?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Wow dude, in your second post in this forum you have nothing better to say than to criticize OgtheDim, who always puts out some well thought and interesting previews of the coming MLS games?
    Not good...

I have a better idea: buy me a pizza instead.
    Thanks in advance!

PS: You can add a few beers too!
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-25-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully we can replicate what the Timbers are doing, 5 wins in a row after starting the season with 3 losses and 2 ties.

Side note: is it just me or does it seem like there are way less ties this year, all wins and losses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post

Side note: is it just me or does it seem like there are way less ties this year, all wins and losses.
    It's not just you!
    But it's better this way, fuck ties!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    It's not just you!
    But it's better this way, fuck ties!
    Makes it harder to catch up on rivals when they’re winning, I’d much prefer they tie! 🤣

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Makes it harder to catch up on rivals when they’re winning, I’d much prefer they tie! 藍
    IMO does not make any difference: all teams have on average less number of draws over the season, including TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I want them for everyone except TFC, lol 😂

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the benefit of a tie (in a game we aren't in) is that a point is lost to both teams, as only two are awarded... When we don't want a specific loss, the tie serves us best in the long run.