RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Other MLS Games This Weekend - May 11 - 13

A reminder - every game is also found condensed on the MLS app - have to look around for it a bit as the new app upgrade is cruddy & really designed for tablet - but its there.

Friday

Houston @ Vancouver 10:30pm
    Two teams so far underwhelming. Vancouver's defence is still pretty good but they have no offence. Houston is pretty much the opposite. At some point, one of these two teams will start seperating themselves from others in the West. Not this week
    1-1 draw
    Why watch the condensed highlights?
    Houston's offence is worth a peek & Vancouver is always a potential red card

Saturday

Stinker of the week
    San Jose @ Minnesota 2pm
    The Loons midweek game was a disappoiontment after a snatch & grab vs Vancouver last week. SJE continues to look bad. The Loons are a better team at home but the mid week trip to LA & back isn't going to help.
    1-1 draw
    Why watch this game on fast forward?
    Quintero is quite the character

Philly @ Montreal 3pm
    Both teams couldn't do the job midweek away & looked listless doing so. Montreal is better on the weekend at home. Philly just isn't all that good & their defence will be sliced through all game.
    5-2 Montreal win
    Why watch this game? Edwards brace

LAG @ Dallas 3:30pm
    Zlatan mentionned last week that he is having to adjust to the heat in LA. Just wait. Going to be around 33 degrees at kickoff tomorrow. LAG is underperforming for their wages. Dallas is playing decent defence & should control the midfield. LAG to wilt.
    3-1 Dallas win
    Why watch this game?
    We play Dallas in 2 weeks (pride night BTW)

Chicago @ Columbus 7:30pm
    Columbus is back to grinding out results but are still adusting to Higuian getting old. The Fire have institued a man marking approach - that won't help much against the pass happy Columbus.
    2-0 home win
    Why watch the highlights of this game?
    Man marking versus intense passing

NYRB @ Colorado 9pm

Press in altitude would be a bad idea - usually. This is the Rapids who are not very good. NYRB did struggle agaisnt RSL away back in March but they were playing their B team that week. Might be a slight hangover from the big game last week but NYRB is just better.
    2-1 NYRB win
    Why watch the second half of this game?
    Keep an eye on Kaku & BWP - they have been great providers this year.

DCU @ RSL 9pm
    DCU is just bad. RSL is better everywhere & they are not that good either - in particular Beckerman has lost it this season - kinda Sampson like since he cut his hair. Should have enough to win this one though.
    3-1 RSL win
    Why watch the second half of this game?
    RSL is a pretty good attacking squad to watch.

Sunday

Seattle @ Portland 4pm
    Hype a rama! Portland is up for this one & Seattle has injuries & travel and shot their bolt against us on Wednesday.
    3-1 Portland win
    Why watch this game?
    3rd best derby in the league.

GAME OF THE WEEK

Atlanta @ Orlando 6pm
    Turning into quite the rivalry (not a derby) with the two southern teams. Orlando is on a roll. Atlanta just got spanked at home against the first decent team they have faced beyond NYC. Offensive fireworks will go off all game long. I think Orlando goes up early, Atlanta crawls back in, then the Lions score some stuff late to win it.
    4-3 Orlando win
    Why watch this game? The offensive work in this game is going to be fun to watch.

NYC @ LAFC 8:30pm
    The Pigeons vs the Wingdings. Another offensive show with not much defence on offer. LA hasn't brought a press out so NYC should have time to move the ball around & that will favour them when they go up against a team who doesn't play with a DM. Now - repeat the same sentence but switch the two teams. That's this game.
    3-3 draw
    Why watch this game?
    Vela vs. Villa

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I flipped from watching the Loons vs. SJE to Notts County vs. Coventry (Div 2 promotion semi final)

Div 2 in England is significantly worse then even the worst MLS team

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I think average MLS is about equal to good-to-better Championship
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So I flipped from watching the Loons vs. SJE to Notts County vs. Coventry (Div 2 promotion semi final)

Div 2 in England is significantly worse then even the worst MLS team
    Nice to see Wondo get one more closer to Landons record but he's got 9 to go.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urruti pots the first one v LA Gals in a close but winning effort.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-13-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good quality TV production for ATL-OCFC. Reffing... not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

allan kelly was probs the best ref in the league 2 years ago(not saying much)but now he is a piece of crap

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    allan kelly was probs the best ref in the league 2 years ago(not saying much)but now he is a piece of crap
    Really weak penalty decision for Atlanta. How does one call that

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its a penalty - Higuita pushes players all over the place. He got a yellow for it a few minutes later.

Johnson dive then full on rant....good times....good times.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched most of the highlights from this weekend. I can't believe the number of goalposts hit in various games, total probably close to 10 across all games this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYCFC-LAFC - another good game. Glad TSN is showing these. Both teams look good, athlough LA is clearly still building their roster.

I think Kaye is interesting. His stature allows him to wheel around players in midfield like nobody else in MLS. Can hit the odd good pass too. However, occasional lapses in in-game awareness and some lead footed play around the attacking third leave more to be desired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I think average MLS is about equal to good-to-better Championship
    I used to hear the quality in MLS was about the equivalent to division 3 in England. Has it improved in MLS to the point where it's now the equivalent of division 2 in England?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    I used to hear the quality in MLS was about the equivalent to division 3 in England. Has it improved in MLS to the point where it's now the equivalent of division 2 in England?
    I like to compare technique but I'm coming around to avoiding saying how any MLS team would do in a European league.

With Dazn, I can watch English Div2 through the championship & MLS. The Div 2 semi final yesterday was poor - like 2008 level MLS poor. As many bad passes & poor touches as not. MLS isn't that anymore. For technical skills, MLS doesn't match Ligue 1 or La Liga or Serie A - anywhere down the table.

BUT, putting one team against another is an apples to oranges comparison - we have no idea how MLS teams would do without travel & weather to say nothing of the salary cap.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-13-2018 at 10:25 PM.