Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blkndkr View Post
    “Aketxe and vdw were a mistake”?

Aketxe, maybe but to early to say definitely. But vdw? Huh? He has been great at CB. Not sure what games you’ve been watching. His calm composure on the ball and passing are top notch.
    I think you’re missing my point. It was a mistake investing in Aketxe and VDW when we could have kept Beitashour and used Hasler as back up at RB and midfield and used the money spent on VDW & Aketxe on a quality striker. That’s what I meant by VDW being a mistake. The money could have been better spent elsewhere. Now we have 3 Rightbacks but no quality replacement strikers to Séba and Jozy. Given VDWs salary we probably don’t have the budget space to bring one in now either. Ricketts, Hamilton & Spencer just don’t cut it for me. They are TFC II level players. You might get away bringing them on for the last 15 minutes now and again but no way are they good enough to be starters

We should have stuck with Beitashour for another season keeping a winning side together as long as possible, and with Hasler we had a perfectly capable back up. There was no need to spend on VDW or Auro for that matter.
    Last edited by General Woolfe; 05-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    I think you’re missing my point. It was a mistake investing in Aketxe and VDW when we could have kept Beitashour and used Hasler as back up at RB and midfield and used the money spent on VDW & Aketxe on a quality striker. That’s what I meant by VDW being a mistake. The money could have been better spent elsewhere. Now we have 3 Rightbacks but no quality replacement strikers to Séba and Jozy. Given VDWs salary we probably don’t have the budget space to bring one in now either. Ricketts, Hamilton & Spencer just don’t cut it for me. They are TFC II level players. You might get away bringing them on for the last 15 minutes now and again but no way are they good enough to be starters

We should have stuck with Beitashour for another season keeping a winning side together as long as possible, and with Hasler we had a perfectly capable back up. There was no need to spend on VDW or Auro for that matter.
    Totally agree there was no need to let go of Beitashour should have kept all of the MLS winning team together for just one more year at least, if it ain’t broken no need to bloody fix!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VdW is better than beita and takes up 100k less of a salary cap hit.

I love beita but this move makes incredible sense. The fact vdw is coming up huge as a centre back proves this could be a lethal partnership with mavinga. Should more centre backs get healthy vdw is a very solid right full back pushing auro to right wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ we haven’t seen the best of VDW yet. The only games he played at RB he wasn’t near full fitness. When he is there and we have a first choice backline with Morrow on the left this team looks much different.

Now if someone wanted to make the argument a 3rd quality striker / super sub has more of an impact than a RB does, i wouldn’t entirely disagree.

Look at it this way, what’s deterring the performance of this team more right now: the fact Morgan plays in place of Morrow when injured or that Altidore turns into Ricketts / Hamilton?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Totally agree there was no need to let go of Beitashour should have kept all of the MLS winning team together for just one more year at least, if it ain’t broken no need to bloody fix!
    We couldn't keep Beitashour, we were hard up against the cap once everyone got their winning bonuses. We needed that 100k space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    As Hamilton_Red said it's about the money we spend. If we try to replace Giovinco with a lesser budget it won't work, but same or more then it's possible.
    Best player in MLS history can possibly be replaced by spending the same or more? Right! Just out of curiosity, why then does every MLS team not have almost 100 goals scored, countless assists, and basically a franchise saving player with their DP slots / $?
    Last edited by InDa_110; 05-13-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look... let's get off the "best team in MLS history" "best player in MLS history" thing...it is a nonsense. Until we have a run of MLS Cup and SS wins...we have had one good..no great season. Other teams have had several years of winning. Giovinco is not even the best player to have played for TFC. Derosario won 4 MLS Cups...4...when Giovinco has 4 Cups let's have a discussion about it.

That being said he is a great player and we are lucky to have him. But the best player in MLS history doesn't get sent off for a stupid petulant play...when he has a chance to score the equalizer in the last few minutes. The best player in MLS history scores that goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    Best player in MLS history can possibly be replaced by spending the same or more? Right! Just out of curiosity, why then does every MLS team not have almost 100 goals scored, countless assists, and basically a franchise saving player with their DP slots / $?
    Every MLS team doesn't have that because they're not willing to spend (and when they do spend that much they don't necessarily do it with performance in mind as in Kaka's case). Giovinco is the highest paid player in the league. To be fair though I think Carlos Vela, Villa and Valeri all have a similar if not more significant impact than Seba and are on lesser salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ager is clearly talented, to say otherwise is totally unfair, but to claim he doesn't fit the side or hasn't performed well on the whole compared to his contract is very very valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    Mostly agree. He has talent. I thought he played quite well last week with Vasquez. I still think that he could work out, but I'll admit it's getting worrying.

That second goal tonight is all him IMO, but to put all the blame on him for the first is harsh.
    Aketxe has skill, but he plays with ZERO urgency and seems a bit lazy.....2 things that absolutely do NOT fit in with the make up of this team....

This team needs to start getting some W's....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Look... let's get off the "best team in MLS history" "best player in MLS history" thing...it is a nonsense. Until we have a run of MLS Cup and SS wins...we have had one good..no great season. Other teams have had several years of winning. Giovinco is not even the best player to have played for TFC. Derosario won 4 MLS Cups...4...when Giovinco has 4 Cups let's have a discussion about it.

That being said he is a great player and we are lucky to have him. But the best player in MLS history doesn't get sent off for a stupid petulant play...when he has a chance to score the equalizer in the last few minutes. The best player in MLS history scores that goal.
    What a ridiculous way to judge a player. Giovinco is easily better than DeRosario.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This, exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    VdW is better than beita and takes up 100k less of a salary cap hit.

I love beita but this move makes incredible sense. The fact vdw is coming up huge as a centre back proves this could be a lethal partnership with mavinga. Should more centre backs get healthy vdw is a very solid right full back pushing auro to right wing.
    Road Games: ‘16-PHL,MTL,MTL(ECF); ‘17-CLB,ORL,NYC,DCU,CHI,MTL;
    ‘18-MTL,NER,OTT,ATL,MTL; ‘19-MTL; ‘22-MTL​;

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    What a ridiculous way to judge a player. Giovinco is easily better than DeRosario.
    Number of MLS Cups (in MLS 1.0, no less) vs having played for the Italian National Team? Playing for a good MLS side vs playing for Juventus? As much as I respect DeRo, Giovinco is another level from DeRo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a while since we had a good DeRo-themed smash up!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post

I would not want to see who would take a big paycheque to wait behind Seba and Jozy on the striker depth chart.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I would not want to see who would take a big paycheque to wait behind Seba and Jozy on the striker depth chart.
    Why not? Atlanta has a guy who would start on most teams taking spot number 3.

And look in general at how many open games are available when one or both these guys are unavailable. There’s a good opportunity there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    It's been a while since we had a good DeRo-themed smash up!
    Depending on Seba's new contract status, wondering if we will get to do a direct cheque writing comparison?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Why not? Atlanta has a guy who would start on most teams taking spot number 3.

And look in general at how many open games are available when one or both these guys are unavailable. There’s a good opportunity there.
    I've always thought the ideal situation is what Seattle had a few years ago with Dempsey, Martins and then Eddie Johnson as the third option (obviously minus Eddie Johnson throwing a fit over playing time/money or whatever)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought the ideal situation is what Seattle had a few years ago with Dempsey, Martins and then Eddie Johnson as the third option (obviously minus Eddie Johnson throwing a fit over playing time/money or whatever)
    but this is exactly the problem with that kind of set up.

one guy is going to be the odd man out, usually wrongly so in that person's eyes, and it disrupts the team.....any player who feels that they deserve to be in the Starting XI will be pissed off if not.

does a guy like Hamilton or Ricketts WANT to be in the Starting XI week in and out...sure.
    but since there is a CLEAR pecking order at striker on this team, they also know their role.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s just a matter of managing expectations. Either Seattle didn’t do a good job of that or EJ is a head case (or both).

Avoidable problems, those.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You don't have to look anywhere else to see the problem.

Herculez Gomez was very unhappy here in that role.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And so nobody in world football stocks a 3rd striker of quality because it’s bound to cause issues? Sounds myopic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    And so nobody in world football stocks a 3rd striker of quality because it’s bound to cause issues? Sounds myopic
    Nah we aren't considered world football enough to have a third string striker who would start on every other team on MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Nah we aren't considered world football enough to have a third string striker who would start on every other team on MLS.
    I would like a substitute striker as good as the better ones in this league.. how’s that?

But even if we don’t go that far, how about at least an average, proven player who can bang in goals with more regularity and contribute when he’s not in front of the net?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most MLS 3rd strikers do around 5 goals a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Most MLS 3rd strikers do around 5 goals a year.
    And most don’t have the benefit of as strong a team behind them as ours. We should see more production. But just as much, my contention is about what happens when these guys are not in front of net, particularly Ricketts.

Hold up play is non existent and performances are anonymous. We need a reference point, first and foremost.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    A reminder that Giovinco was unhappy being backup at Juventus, which is about as "world football" as one can get. Players want to play, and those who know that they have the talent to start elsewhere won't be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    A reminder that Giovinco was unhappy being backup at Juventus, which is about as "world football" as one can get. Players want to play, and those who know that they have the talent to start elsewhere won't be happy.
    Yes.