Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    "unless the force used was negligible." That's the key which allows subjectivity. When I think of a "strike" to a face, I think of a slap or punch with some sort of force.

If what Giovinco did was not considered "negligible", then what constitutes negligible force?
    Definition of negligible. : so small or unimportant or of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention : trifling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really are starting to look like Portland two seasons back. Going from Champions to failing to qualify for the playoffs. That is becoming a serious possibility if we don’t turn this around quickly and decisively.

Weare in danger of trading the title of the best team in MLS history to a team who achieved the best season in MLS history. In other words instead of being seen as a dynasty we will become known as a one hit wonder. In reality we should be well on the road to dynasty status already with 2MLS Cups and a CCL Trophy in the books. Instead our inability to score when dominating opponents caused us to fall short on two occasions.

We frittered away money this summer on positions that weren’t problematic. Instead of signing Van Der Weil and Auro we should have stuck with Beitashour and Hasler, using the money, plus the Aketxe fee on a quality striker instead to give both a challenge and some respite to Séba and Jozy. Instead, Vanney in his wisdom thought Ricketts, Hamilton, and Spencer were good enough. In truth all three are TFC II level.

I really worry we will be unable to turn this current situation around in time given a third of the season is gone and it looks like we’ll end the day 11 points off a playoff spot (NYRB are 1 up) and 15 behind the conference leaders. We need a clean out of the dross and serious investment in a striker and back up to Vazquez in the summer transfer window, because as talented as he is, he appears to be made of glass when it comes to injuries. We need to realize players like Delgado and Osorio are journeymen and not superstars who can turn a game. We need to acknowledge Aketxe and VDW were a mistake. IMHO Hasler offers more than Auro, and Beitashour more than both. Perhaps most importantly we need to acknowledge our much lauded depth is nothing but a myth as Ricketts, Hamilton, Spencer, Telfour Fraser, etc, are not replacement in kind for our first team squad.

Finally, We cannot make the same mistake next season by prioritizing CCL at the expense of MLS. The competition is skewed in favour of Mexican clubs with its timing and the cost has been too high a price to pay even if we had won it.

I really hope we can turn this season around and reclaim our title, going on to build the dynasty everyone believes we should be. We can start by locking down Séba with the contract he desires, followed by finding a player who will compete with him for a starting spot whilst providing back up for Altidore’s inevitable absences thru injury. We should then do the same with Bradley giving him a deal that will keep him with the club until retirement. We have never had players of their level before and should keep them as long as we can. Do this and we will have a quality spine to build around for the foreseeable future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"unless the force used was negligible." That's the key which allows subjectivity. When I think of a "strike" to a face, I think of a slap or punch with some sort of force.

If what Giovinco did was not considered "negligible", then what constitutes negligible force?
    Negligible force or otherwise, the blame lies squarely with Giovinco. You don't intentionally grab at an opponents face, that's asking to be sent off in any league in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss last year so far we are performing fairly poorly; dont play CCL next year if miraculously we qualify; so frustrating

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the start of the game today, we had 6 people who've played defence injured or on the bench due to injury. CCL had little to do with that. (Go look at the other MLS teams that got far in CCL - the injury rate was not this severe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    At the start of the game today, we had 6 people who've played defence injured or on the bench due to injury. CCL had little to do with that. (Go look at the other MLS teams that got far in CCL - the injury rate was not this severe)
    Well obviously we played CCL and lot of the injuries were caused by travel fatigue and all the extra games we didnt have a strong enough plan to prevent these injuries so i have to believe CCL for us was what caused this extremely poor start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Irrelevant. Laws of the Game is very clear on hand to the face is a red card.
    A ‘pat’ on the face isn’t a red card. Doesn’t the law say “strike” an opponent? There was no striking there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    A ‘pat’ on the face isn’t a red card. Doesn’t the law say “strike” an opponent? There was no striking there
    IMO if there is no strike or force used then the physical contact of hand on face is negligible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    IMO if there is no strike or force used then the physical contact of hand on face is negligible.
    That's my point. Don't put the "negligible" disclaimer if everyone is going to interpret it as any contact to the face. It's ridiculous how a red card can range from breaking someone's legs with a late tackle, to touching a player in the face (after being provoked, mind you).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's my point. Don't put the "negligible" disclaimer if everyone is going to interpret it as any contact to the face. It's ridiculous how a red card can range from breaking someone's legs with a late tackle, to touching a player in the face (after being provoked, mind you).
    there was 30 seconds left in the game, use some discretion you stupid, stupid referee. you do not remove star players from games. it is called sports and entertainment.
    MLSE Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. another example of the mls referees, mindboggling

now on Friday I get to be entertained by that potent striker duo of Rickets and Hamilton. can't wait

at the end of the game Bradleys screaming at Geiger, Mavinga comes running over to Geiger to yell at him, Vasquez is yelling at Geiger, Vanney does not understand the call on Gio, but all you experts here are right. hand to face is an automatic red, even though i cant find this rule anywhere
    Last edited by stevep; 05-12-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moral of the story is don't be a little prick.

Giovinco needs an attitude adjustment. As do all the whiny "professional players".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every team goes in fouling TFC like crazy getting a yellow only after multiple fouls and denying a scoring chance. TFC uis getting yellows for complaining to Refs and reds for retaliating. Also how many VAR decisions have gone our way? I cant remember any, they keep reversing TFC but don't bother reviewing when a call against TFC was missed. So much frustration this season its no fun at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC absolutely dominated when Bradley was moved to DM. Bez totally screwed up when he didnt reinforce the defense properly when all the injuries went down. Its not like we were waiting for key players to get healthy it was replacement to low paid Zavaleta and Hagglund. Hernandez is a bad signing he is steps behind and cant deal with long balls. The CB situation is tanking the season so far. If he would have grabbed a ready to go backup CB from another team the last 4 games would have been different.
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 05-12-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Giovinco needs an attitude adjustment. As do all the whiny "professional players".
    But why should that be the case? Everyone seems to hate him because he whines. But why does he whine? The man gets kicked at, pulled at, chopped, etc, and does not get the calls. We keep saying society should be just and fair. But if it's not just, heaven forbid you call out an injustice. Now you're a whiner. Just look down, and do what you're told. Sounds a lot like a fascist and/or a communist regime than the democratic society we keep championing.

And so because he's a whiner, the rules get to be applied to him differently? Just because your neighbour can be a prick, doesn't mean he should get a 5 year sentence for going 10 over the speed limit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he leaves for Europe TFC is finished in terms of winning any championships in the future
    they will still be above average but will never be the best again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    if he leaves for Europe TFC is finished in terms of winning any championships in the future
    they will still be above average but will never be the best again
    Disagree with this..Giovinco can be replaced easier than Bradley as long as we spent similar kind of money. That being said - Gio has got hungrier and has a lot left to offer. I like the fact that he wants a contract extension and has turned it up. We saw how much the tide shifted when Mavinga..Gio and Victor came on. We are going to have a great second half. Likely won't win the Supporters Shield - but we'll make the playoffs and have a good run. I for one would be perfectly happy with a West Coast MLS Cup Final this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star player no doubt, but His petulant behavior cost the team. Not the first time he has crossed the line and hopefully Vanney addresses this behind the scenes.

Time to get our heads down and start winning football matches. Not surrounding referees and making excuses.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I miss last year so far we are performing fairly poorly; dont play CCL next year if miraculously we qualify; so frustrating
    Um no thank you. Watching other teams play Champions league was far more frustrating.

Bad day at the office. There will be plenty more.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was there last night, can confirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    This stadium and crowd suck. How does NE still have a team
    Road Games: ‘16-PHL,MTL,MTL(ECF); ‘17-CLB,ORL,NYC,DCU,CHI,MTL;
    ‘18-MTL,NER,OTT,ATL,MTL; ‘19-MTL; ‘22-MTL​;

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Aketxe and vdw were a mistake”?

Aketxe, maybe but to early to say definitely. But vdw? Huh? He has been great at CB. Not sure what games you’ve been watching. His calm composure on the ball and passing are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    We really are starting to look like Portland two seasons back. Going from Champions to failing to qualify for the playoffs. That is becoming a serious possibility if we don’t turn this around quickly and decisively.

Weare in danger of trading the title of the best team in MLS history to a team who achieved the best season in MLS history. In other words instead of being seen as a dynasty we will become known as a one hit wonder. In reality we should be well on the road to dynasty status already with 2MLS Cups and a CCL Trophy in the books. Instead our inability to score when dominating opponents caused us to fall short on two occasions.

We frittered away money this summer on positions that weren’t problematic. Instead of signing Van Der Weil and Auro we should have stuck with Beitashour and Hasler, using the money, plus the Aketxe fee on a quality striker instead to give both a challenge and some respite to Séba and Jozy. Instead, Vanney in his wisdom thought Ricketts, Hamilton, and Spencer were good enough. In truth all three are TFC II level.

I really worry we will be unable to turn this current situation around in time given a third of the season is gone and it looks like we’ll end the day 11 points off a playoff spot (NYRB are 1 up) and 15 behind the conference leaders. We need a clean out of the dross and serious investment in a striker and back up to Vazquez in the summer transfer window, because as talented as he is, he appears to be made of glass when it comes to injuries. We need to realize players like Delgado and Osorio are journeymen and not superstars who can turn a game. We need to acknowledge Aketxe and VDW were a mistake. IMHO Hasler offers more than Auro, and Beitashour more than both. Perhaps most importantly we need to acknowledge our much lauded depth is nothing but a myth as Ricketts, Hamilton, Spencer, Telfour Fraser, etc, are not replacement in kind for our first team squad.

Finally, We cannot make the same mistake next season by prioritizing CCL at the expense of MLS. The competition is skewed in favour of Mexican clubs with its timing and the cost has been too high a price to pay even if we had won it.

I really hope we can turn this season around and reclaim our title, going on to build the dynasty everyone believes we should be. We can start by locking down Séba with the contract he desires, followed by finding a player who will compete with him for a starting spot whilst providing back up for Altidore’s inevitable absences thru injury. We should then do the same with Bradley giving him a deal that will keep him with the club until retirement. We have never had players of their level before and should keep them as long as we can. Do this and we will have a quality spine to build around for the foreseeable future
    Road Games: ‘16-PHL,MTL,MTL(ECF); ‘17-CLB,ORL,NYC,DCU,CHI,MTL;
    ‘18-MTL,NER,OTT,ATL,MTL; ‘19-MTL; ‘22-MTL​;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why should that be the case? Everyone seems to hate him because he whines. But why does he whine? The man gets kicked at, pulled at, chopped, etc, and does not get the calls.
    It's not that he only complains when he gets chopped down, he complains on every... single... pass or misstep from his team mates. He has to realize that a team is made up of stars, journeymen, and rookies and that not every pass is going to end up exactly how he wants it. Also there was a time where he was going down when someone came near him or breathed on him and he would get the calls but that stopped being the case mid-way through last year. Now, legitimate infractions are not getting called. Whatever the case, I think someone has to speak to him and tell him to cool it.

Regarding the whole "hand to the face" thing...
    - The referee looked at the video for about two seconds before whipping around and producing the red card. That bothered me.
    - That being said Giovinco put his hand to the face in a threatening manner so although I don't believe it was red card worthy it was "something"
    - I was impressed and appreciate that Zahibo didn't flop to the ground. If he did it may not have added up to anything.

Aketxe was directly or indirectly responsible for all three goals. If it was one game fine, but he has failed to impress repeatedly this season.

Ricketts, Hamilton, etc, these guys are good and happy to sub in with 5 minutes left in a game. When they are starting we are more than likely going to lose the game. There is no touch or finish, just garbage goals here and there.

We have been unlucky with injuries and they seem to be more of the variety of "strains", etc, rather than that of a play or tackle so maybe the doctors or conditioning staff should be looked at. Yes we played more games as a result of CCL but at the same time there's a responsibility of staff to say "this guy shouldn't be playing today".

Anyway I am still hopeful we can squeak into the playoffs but we are on the clock folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What seems lost in this giovinco red card is how did the NE player get off with no punishment? ... Trying to knock the ball away for no reason whatsoever was unsportsmanlike conduct. Giovinco turned around and went towards him but my take on the hand to face was self defence because if you look at the video again and put yourself in Giovinco's shoes ... what is he supposed to do when someone big, muscular and two feet taller than him is coming towards him? The hand to face was the only thing that stopped his advances and then he went into full Jozy Flop mode with his reaction. There was no violence in Giovinco's hand to face. You could tell by his emotions. He immediately headed away with a clear head. I think an appeal is worth it. Chances are it'll fail but definitely worth it ... and the NE player should have been given at least a yellow for his role in all of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blkndkr View Post
    “Aketxe and vdw were a mistake”?

Aketxe, maybe but to early to say definitely. But vdw? Huh? He has been great at CB. Not sure what games you’ve been watching. His calm composure on the ball and passing are top notch.
    If you sign a player to play a certain position or role and he fails to do that to the standard you would expect, that is a poor signing.

VDW was a poor signing imo. He was signed to play right back, but now he is playing centreback and even if we had all of our centrebacks healthy I would still start Auro over him.

Just because a player ends up playing well in the end, doesn't necessarily mean it was a good signing. Giovinco is the perfect example. I give very little credit to the FO on that signing because he was very clearly signed by management to play as a 10 and never panned out in that position.
    Last edited by portu; 05-13-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signings are only mistakes if you can’t get off them.

Perquis and Kantari were swings of the bat that didn’t work. I assume that both Aketxe or vdW can also be moved if needed. Not that I am rooting for that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Well obviously we played CCL and lot of the injuries were caused by travel fatigue and all the extra games we didnt have a strong enough plan to prevent these injuries so i have to believe CCL for us was what caused this extremely poor start
    I think it would be naive to suggest it doesn’t have at least something to do with it. We ended the season later and started sooner than most other MLS CCL teams. We also played a tougher schedule to get to the finals than any other MLS teams in history.

That said, we have some guys who have a history of injuries and that appears to be biting us hard. Maybe it’s time to start thinking about a younger, more durable, CB to put in the rotation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Signings are only mistakes if you can’t get off them.

Perquis and Kantari were swings of the bat that didn’t work. I assume that both Aketxe or vdW can also be moved if needed. Not that I am rooting for that.
    Kantari and Perquis were both not mistakes then, though. Perquis was moved to Nottingham and Kantari was bought out (without hitting the cap).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Disagree with this..Giovinco can be replaced easier than Bradley as long as we spent similar kind of money. That being said - Gio has got hungrier and has a lot left to offer. I like the fact that he wants a contract extension and has turned it up. We saw how much the tide shifted when Mavinga..Gio and Victor came on. We are going to have a great second half. Likely won't win the Supporters Shield - but we'll make the playoffs and have a good run. I for one would be perfectly happy with a West Coast MLS Cup Final this year.
    Giovinco can be easily replaced?

got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    Giovinco can be easily replaced?

got it.
    As Hamilton_Red said it's about the money we spend. If we try to replace Giovinco with a lesser budget it won't work, but same or more then it's possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they were calling persistent infringement in this league properly he’d be drawing 3 yellows a game. Any time he gets the ball within 30 yards other teams have decided they’d rather hack him down than let him play.

I’m not as upset about the fraction of the calls not made as I am about the fact the officials are blind to him being targeted continuously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Odds on Seba getting two yellows is quite high I'd say

Referee: Mark Geiger
    pretty much wish this happened.
    The whole context of things why would the ref think after seba scores he would want to waste time and get sent off while TFC clearly had momentum. The refs have become a lot more noticeable lately which isn't good.

TFC scored a goal,7minutes to review the video.
    Chapman's shot goes off on Seattle, goal kick no review.
    The two times tfc cried for reviews they get it and it was like 1.5 seconds. I still question how the ref walked to the video and turned around and made his call.

The game vs Chicago ref had his hand in the ear piece like he was taking direction.

The positive is even with our shotty backline having mavinga,gio, Vazquez turned the momentum of the game.
    In my opinion out midfield needs to be upgraded .
    I like Chapman missed shot that no one would be oblivious to the red card or nay not have happened in a 3-3 draw.

The Delgado miss in the finals. If that shot connects a lot of the narrative and lost faith would probably be the other way around.

I have faith, the refs are terrible over the last 4 games with VAR. Best ref we had was in champions league @ tigres.