Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We made the final 2 years in a row. Instead of eating into this season, we played meaningful CCL games.
    At some point it was going to catch up to us.
    We used argue that 1 friendly a summer was too much of a strain on our team.
    After the past 2 years it sucks to miss the playoffs. But I'm more worried that key parts of that run will start to be lost.
    Hopefully TFC continues to add new pieces and be a perennial contender, rather than take the approach of knocking it all down and starting over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    "Sending a message" is so 2011.
    Mo Johnson didn't care and Anselmi was building condos, so it didn't work under their disfunctional leadership.

There's no way you need to "send a message" to the current management. They're not counting money for the Teachers Pension Plan like Anselmi was. They care deeply from Bill Manning on down. They just need to figure out a way to fix things for next season. Hopefully they get the right formula like they did in 2016-2017.
    Bill Manning announced getting new biometric equipment to better track fatigue and stop preventable injuries. They’re also bringing in hybrid turf so it can withstand heavy usage (I personally think BMO Field pitch needs rest more than anything, Johan Cruyff Arena pitch suffers from overuse of the facility).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Pretty interesting interview with Didier Deschamps about the mentality problem for champions

https://www.theguardian.com/football...st-foolishness
    Some great quotes:

The impact of winning depends upon the generation. For those between 20 and 25 it is a booster, it gives them more confidence and determination to chase for more. For those in their 30s it is different as although they have so much experience they don’t have that feeling of having improvement in front of them. They know they are near the end. The biggest difficulty in sport is when you think you can’t do better. For the older ones, they are world champions and even if it is subconscious there is naturally a feeling of relaxation. That’s the danger. That’s where you have to say: this has to change.”

and:

So now his mind is focused on doing his utmost to ensure the standard does not drop. If the team needs to evolve, to be refreshed, so be it. “Everyone wants things to go on for ever. But in football after a while either you have to change the coach or the players and in general it is easier to change the coach! What is really important is to constantly renew. If you end up doing and saying the same things the players fall asleep. That’s important to me – always come up with surprises. There is always more.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    CCL was not as big an issue as the "we are the champions and can turn this on at will" attitude.
    This was the biggest issue, closely followed by mental exhaustion. The combination was lethal.

This year, I think we over thought the Champions League, and the MLS schedule at the time.

I was on a rugby team once that went three seasons undefeated. We couldn't wait for the next game. Typically, rugby matches are a week apart to allow for recovery - we played Wednesdays, friendlies, everything. Couldn't wait for the next game. This year, the attitude at the start was wrong. This is hindsight, but suggesting that league games didn't matter because we were so good we would make it up was terrible mentally for the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You called it in the op.

Despite many calls to close this thread, this prediction was ultimately correct.
    There's a difference between it being correct now and it being correct then. It wasn't, yet it now is. Had he started the thread at 7pm Saturday I wouldn't have cared. Starting it in May 10th was pure speculation, informed or otherwise.

We aren't selling papers on this forum, titles don't have to be click bait going forward.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    There's a difference between it being correct now and it being correct then. It wasn't, yet it now is. Had he started the thread at 7pm Saturday I wouldn't have cared. Starting it in May 10th was pure speculation, informed or otherwise.

We aren't selling papers on this forum, titles don't have to be click bait going forward.
    well said
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm OK with the title. It was a legit POV, although I disagreed with it (still do, we lost the season in July/August)

“The team in first place on July 4 will go on to either win or lose the pennant.” Yogi Berra said it in 1955.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”