Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    But is that all reality, or a function of exhaustion?

No soccer team on earth can do well in a stretch of 10 games in 35 days. Layer onto that the last 4 all requiring 5 hour flights....

It's I suspect beyond what any other team in the league has had to do ever. It's not reasonable.
    I don’t understand how TFC was okay with this scheduling. Beyond all the other stuff....

Why bundle an Ex game (which is always a draw anyway) with Montreal? Why the daytime matches in the heat of summer? Why are we playing home games to open the season when its odds on the weather will be crap? How can you justify having very little home fixtures scheduled during the summer which should be prime time for good attendance?

Are they asleep at the wheel? This is crucial stuff for their business.

If this league is going to grow they need to have consistent scheduling. I can recite the NFL’s practically by heart and I don’t even care to follow. It looks like we are bending over to TV networks to fill 2nd rate time slots. They need to cut this crap out. Stop being so scared of going head-to-head with other sports and show the people who attend in person more respect.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-19-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clubs like Juve play 10-11 games in 35 Days. This is the difference, and what holding the MLS back a bit. After your starting 11, plus maybe 2-3 bench guys, the talent level drops dramatically. TFC had injury problems, which allowed guys from 14 through 18 to play regularly. I’m telling you, if Bez would have addressed the CB issue in January, even with Vanney mistakes, we would be in or next to a playoff spot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would need to spend time on this, that I don’t have, but I would wager:

- there cannot be more than a handful of times in league history than any team has played 10 games in 35 days
    - nobody has ever done 4 games in 10 days, with two transcons in there, which is something we have had happen twice this season (it was 5 games in 14 days with two transcons in April)

These are absurd situations. I would not draw conclusions about our decline from this.

Juve or whomever in Europe is irrelevant, they don’t have a cap, they carry 30+ top flight players for this reason

The price of success in this league is astounding. The message to us is pretty bleak: you do the right things and succeed, so you are screwed.

We have been deprived of the experience of enjoying any of our success
    Last edited by ensco; 08-19-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I now better understand why so few MLS clubs seriously try to win the CCL.
    The question is what will our philosophy be towards it in 2019 after this years MLS results.....I understood (whether I agreed with it is another issue) "going for it" last year at the expense of the MLS season as that was an all-time "legacy" type of season that TFC was trying to achieve --- but now after seeing how it affected this MLS season --- do we really want to ratchet it all up again from February-April at the expense of throwing away games in MLS and risking injuries/exhaustion as well for the 2019 season --- it's an interesting debate which will tell us a lot about how TFC views CCL vs MLS ---

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would need to spend time on this, that I don’t have, but I would wager:

- there cannot be more than a handful of times in league history than any team has played 10 games in 35 days
    - nobody has ever done 4 games in 10 days, with two transcons in there, which is something we have had happen twice this season (it was 5 games in 14 days with two transcons in April)

These are absurd situations. I would not draw conclusions about our decline from this.

Juve or whomever in Europe is irrelevant, they don’t have a cap, they carry 30+ top flight players for this reason

The price of success in this league is astounding. The message to us is pretty bleak: you do the right things and succeed, so you are screwed.

Well that and they fly private charter wherever they go. We can only do this a handful of times over the season under league rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't imagine how the players feel. MLS record season and we are essentially punished by the schedule...and refs.

Which American teams take the CCL as seriously as we do? Will ATL, LA or NYCFC even try to pull off what we did seeing what happened to us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well that and they fly private charter wherever they go. We can only do this a handful of times over the season under league rules.
    Why in hell are they pandering to cheap owners and punishing ownership groups who actually take the league seriously enough to want to spend money on winning it.

These rules are so stupid and will hold the league back regardless of any more DP or TAM GAM or YAM whatever the fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    TFC need to flex some muscle and start bossing this league.

None of this cheap shit anymore. Go big or go home MLS.
    Last edited by Richard; 08-19-2018 at 03:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it will be ride until the end, no turning back on the Reds. What the first 12 seasons have taught me is there will be ups and downs, peaks and valleys. However this season ends I am looking forward to the final road game of the year in Montreal, cheering on my Reds.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    The question is what will our philosophy be towards it in 2019 after this years MLS results.....I understood (whether I agreed with it is another issue) "going for it" last year at the expense of the MLS season as that was an all-time "legacy" type of season that TFC was trying to achieve --- but now after seeing how it affected this MLS season --- do we really want to ratchet it all up again from February-April at the expense of throwing away games in MLS and risking injuries/exhaustion as well for the 2019 season --- it's an interesting debate which will tell us a lot about how TFC views CCL vs MLS ---
    Of course, if we miss the playoffs, our players will be rested and we won't have the same injury issues next year.

Plus, missing the playoffs gets you a whack of allocation money, which you could use to get another good player, or keep an Osorio at home.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, if we miss the playoffs, our players will be rested and we won't have the same injury issues next year.

Plus, missing the playoffs gets you a whack of allocation money, which you could use to get another good player, or keep an Osorio at home.
    I agree the extra time off would help a bit on the front end of things for CCL in February (likely having an extra 5-6 weeks off between end of October and December 8-9 to rest and heal) -- but are we going to throw USL level lineups out there on the (MLS) weekends in March/April if we progress onwards in CCL (like we did this year) and start again with mid-week trips to and from Mexico (or Central America), in order to conserve our players for CCL as we did this past year....I don't see them playing starters major minutes in bi-weekly games for four-eight weeks to start the year.....then again apparently (?!) we didn't need Giovinco or VDW to start the game yesterday even without Altidore and Vasquez (and Mavinga) playing.....so obviously the coaching staff has a philosophy that I cannot wrap my head around these days.....I guess I should give up trying to guess what their plans are......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    I agree the extra time off would help a bit on the front end of things for CCL in February (likely having an extra 5-6 weeks off between end of October and December 8-9 to rest and heal) -- but are we going to throw USL level lineups out there on the (MLS) weekends in March/April if we progress onwards in CCL (like we did this year) and start again with mid-week trips to and from Mexico (or Central America), in order to conserve our players for CCL as we did this past year....I don't see them playing starters major minutes in bi-weekly games for four-eight weeks to start the year.....then again apparently (?!) we didn't need Giovinco or VDW to start the game yesterday even without Altidore and Vasquez (and Mavinga) playing.....so obviously the coaching staff has a philosophy that I cannot wrap my head around these days.....I guess I should give up trying to guess what their plans are......
    At the end of the day, it's only Bez and Greg's plan that matters, so no matter discuss it, try to wrap our head around it, nothing will change, we just have to take what they do and live with it. It's the choices that they will either have rewards or consequences and the brain trust will have to live with it, which may mean losing their jobs.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But is that all reality, or a function of exhaustion?

No soccer team on earth can do well in a stretch of 10 games in 35 days. Layer onto that the last 4 all requiring 5 hour flights....

It's I suspect beyond what any other team in the league has had to do ever. It's not reasonable.

We played 10 games in 36 days last season Between April 28th and June 3rd. We won 7 Lost 2 and tied 1. Everyone started calling TFC the Deepest Team in the league. Only 1 of those were on the West Coast and most were at home Granted.

10 games in that time frame isn't unheard of but it comes with the territory. I'm certain if I really looked other teams have done similar... Don't know if the results were different... however last season Deepest team in the league with the "coach of the year" TFC pulled off 19 points in the league in 10 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity for those that keep a closer eye on MLS "rules". If TFC were to fly charter in he face of MLS "cheap seats only" rule, what would the penalty be?

If they're just going to fine us for breaking their arbitrary rules, I'm thinking that might be a small price to pay in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Out of curiosity for those that keep a closer eye on MLS "rules". If TFC were to fly charter in he face of MLS "cheap seats only" rule, what would the penalty be?

If they're just going to fine us for breaking their arbitrary rules, I'm thinking that might be a small price to pay in the future.
    Probably money, GAM/TAM/SPAM reduction, then point reduction.

MLS needs to stop supporting the cheap owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That late blunder in San Jose could prove to be the difference when all is said and done.

We have to go on a total rampage now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Probably money, GAM/TAM/SPAM reduction, then point reduction.

MLS needs to stop supporting the cheap owners.
    It's literally run like a daycare. Everyone gets a ribbon!
    Last edited by shwade; 08-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post

That's a good question. It's very hard to be a "rogue owner" in any league, and even harder in MLS because of the power of the league due to the single entity structure. Look at what happened to now defunct Chivas USA as an example of when the owner and the league don't get along. Convincing other owners is the only realistic possibility.

MLSE (specifically Larry T) needs to step up and and say to the league: "if you really want to win the CCL, we're the team that can do it, but you need to support us not punish us. Otherwise we'll do what most of the other teams are doing, sort of care about the CCL, but make our league play the top priority."

MLS needs to put their money and policies where their mouth is. If there isn't support from the league, whether it's because of being Canadian or whatever reason, it's time for TFC to pick up their marbles and go home from the poisoned chalice that is the CCL.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-20-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually looking forward to this quick schedule. If you look back to last year, both of our 6+ game undefeated streaks crossed over a 3 game in 7 day schedule. The two situations when TFC seem to play their best football are in the middle of a 3 game in 7 days period, or a 2 game knock out series (we are something like 12-1 over the last 3 years). When this team is constantly playing (instead of practicing) they come out firing on all cylinders. It is disappointing that the mid week is in Portland, both for the team travel and my lack of ability to travel to the game. I still see 7 points as possible (and necessary)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Points Pace:

5. PHI: 47
    6. MON: 43
    7. DC: 42
    8. NE: 41
    9. TOR: 34
    10. ORL: 33
    11. CHI: 30

If everyone plays at their current pace, it would take 44 points to make the playoffs. TFC would need 20 points out of 30 to get there (6-2-2). Probably would need to play a little better than this given how strong DC has come on. Not completely over yet, but they need to string together some wins starting tomorrow.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playoffs is not a season.

Still a ridiculous thread.

Vcup win and a win over our rival. Something to tell the folks next year that thought the season was over months ago.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please change the title of this stupid thread.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Please change the title of this stupid thread.
    If TFC makes the playoffs, we can rename it "Ha, you thought they couldn't do it" thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was prepared to argue, but I'm fine with this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we will pass Montreal and NE without much trouble.

The challenge is that we have to catch one of Philly or DCU (DCU have 3 games in hand and play mostly at home from here on in).

I have circled the Oct 17 game at DCU as the make it or break it game for us.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-26-2018 at 04:33 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC makes the playoffs, we can rename it "Ha, you thought they couldn't do it" thread.
    That's unfair. When I started this thread, I never intended it to say definitely 'we're completely done.' In fact, here's exactly what I said in the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    So what's the best we can hope for? That we can scrounge enough points together to at least stay in the playoff picture while everyone gets healthy; seems that will be around late July/early August. Then, even if we're back to full strength, it'll take them another month probably to get back into the groove, so if – and that's a big IF – that can happen, then maybe we can get hot in September and try to ride some momentum into the playoffs.

But if we lose any of the next few games, I think we're just totally finished. We might even be already.
    And this is exactly what has happened. We are scrounging enough points together to just barely stay in the race. Okay, sure, my last sentence there is pretty pessimistic, but it's also entirely possible.

I pointed out exactly what was going to happen with this season before anyone else did and some people have been a bit rude about it (not you, Oldtimer). But it was at the time and still is a worry and a valid discussion to have.

Still hoping I'm wrong.
    Last edited by James17930; 08-26-2018 at 08:00 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually joking about renaming the thread (I need to use smileys more).

DC lost tonight, great news for TFC attempting the difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't give up we got the dreamers disease... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually joking about renaming the thread (I need to use smileys more).

DC lost tonight, great news for TFC attempting the difficult.
    Sorry - I didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playoff Race
    Points Pace:

6. MON: 42
    --------------
    7. NE: 39
    8. DC: 38
    9. TOR: 35
    10. ORL: 31