Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 games in hand. We win both and we're 2-3 points back from the last playoff spot. It's halfway in the season. If by early mid August we're in the same spot, we can make the playoffs, and will if we have our injuries eliminated (except for Mavinga being long term).

As of today, playoffs still in the cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    2 games in hand. We win both and we're 2-3 points back from the last playoff spot. It's halfway in the season. If by early mid August we're in the same spot, we can make the playoffs, and will if we have our injuries eliminated (except for Mavinga being long term).

As of today, playoffs still in the cards.
    As of today, we have an 11% chance of making the playoffs.

Also, I just want to point out that when Ryan Nelsen was sacked we had just under an 80% chance of making the playoffs and that at no point this season (aside from before a ball was kicked) have we had a higher chance of making the playoffs than at any point during Nelsen's 2014 tenure. Hell, at this point in 2010 Preki had us around 70% likely to make the playoffs. I don't have to remind anyone on this forum that this team did not make the playoffs in either year, stop daydreaming people. We're fucked.
    Last edited by portu; 07-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    So you're saying we still have a chance...

I dont know how those percentages are drafted and crafted but reality is if our guys are healthy and on the field together, they will start winning, and it will become infectious. No team has a better starting 11. (10 when we eliminate Mavinga, which of course is a big, big loss).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you're saying we still have a chance...

I dont know how those percentages are drafted and crafted but reality is if our guys are healthy and on the field together, they will start winning, and it will become infectious. No team has a better starting 11. (10 when we eliminate Mavinga, which of course is a big, big loss).
    I honestly believe this is BS. We no longer can by any stretch of the imagination claim we have the strongest starting XI when most are regressing, constantly injured or both. Staying healthy is a skill, it is not good luck/bad luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staying healthy is a skill, it is not good luck/bad luck.
    Are you suggesting they all go plant-based, vegan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you suggesting they all go plant-based, vegan?
    I'm suggesting that there is a reason that Altidore has the durability of a Yugo and that Bradley's is that of a monster truck and that some players are and have been better at maintaining their bodies than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm suggesting that there is a reason that Altidore has the durability of a Yugo and that Bradley's is that of a monster truck and that some players are and have been better at maintaining their bodies than others.
    It comes down to genetics and Altidore won and lost the lottery at the same time. He has had world class physicians and dieticians coaching him since he turned professional, I refuse to believe he isn't doing his best to stay healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It comes down to genetics and Altidore won and lost the lottery at the same time. He has had world class physicians and dieticians coaching him since he turned professional, I refuse to believe he isn't doing his best to stay healthy.
    That’s why I said “have been” clearly he took very poor care of his body for a very long time. The difference between 2015 and 2016 Altidore was night and day because of him losing a tiny bit of weight and stretching more often. I would maintain that he’s probably ended up hurting his body early on in his career to the point where injuries are now just a part of his life regardless. And you would be surprised by the level of care provided at some clubs especially way back when he started playing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To make the playoffs, we likely need to average about 2 points per game.

That was our record setting season average last year.

If we are healthy, we are the best team in the league, but, we are missing Moor, Mavinga, Altidore, Vazquez and Van Der Wiel.

That's half the team!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I just want to point out that when Ryan Nelsen was sacked we had just under an 80% chance of making the playoffs and that at no point this season (aside from before a ball was kicked) have we had a higher chance of making the playoffs than at any point during Nelsen's 2014 tenure. Hell, at this point in 2010 Preki had us around 70% likely to make the playoffs. I don't have to remind anyone on this forum that this team did not make the playoffs in either year, stop daydreaming people. We're fucked.
    Who's daydreaming? This thread is ridiculous because a season isn't over till it's over. There's another better thread talking about likelihood of this and that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely love the "Yugo" reference. I am wondering how many readers here under the age of 45 would even know what a Yugo was. I believe they stopped selling them in the U.S. in the early 90's and I don't know if they were even available in Canada as I don't recall ever seeing one on the road. My cousin had one and it was a total piece of crap. It was Europe's answer to the "Gremlin".

This was the best post of the day. It brought a smile to my face and helped me stop thinking about last night's game.

Maybe I will start a new thread "Yugo vs. Gremlin, which one was better". Have at it people.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 07-05-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Who's daydreaming? This thread is ridiculous because a season isn't over till it's over. There's another better thread talking about likelihood of this and that.
    Apparently you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I absolutely love the "Yugo" reference. I am wondering how many readers here under the age of 45 would even know what a Yugo was. I believe they stopped selling them in the U.S. in the early 90's and I don't know if they were even available in Canada as I don't recall ever seeing one on the road. My cousin had one and it was a total piece of crap. It was Europe's answer to the "Gremlin".

This was the best post of the day. It brought a smile to my face and helped me stop thinking about last night's game.

Maybe I will start a new thread "Yugo vs. Gremlin, which one was better". Have at it people.
    Haha yeah when I thought of a comparison that’s the first thing that came to mind

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My team has delivered about 50 amazing moments, and 3 championship games, none of which they lost, in 20 months.

All this precious running around, railing and swearing by a loud (but hopefully tiny) group of “fans” because it seems TFC cannot deliver championship performance like hot and cold running water, those posts are just juvenile.

I am not suggesting that the team should be satisfied with where they are. The team has to leave the history behind and look forward. But for the fans, no way. That history totally matters to how we should see things, and how we support, and the team absolutely deserves better from its fans than this.

We may not turn it around this year. If we don’t, I will not be acting like a 12 year old enraged by what I got in my lunchbox.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-06-2018 at 06:52 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    My team has delivered about 50 amazing moments, and 3 championship games, none of which they lost, in 20 months.

All this precious running around, railing and swearing by a loud (but hopefully tiny) group of “fans” because it seems TFC cannot deliver championship performance like hot and cold running water, those posts are just juvenile.

I am not suggesting that the team should be satisfied with where they are. The team has to leave the history behind and look forward. But for the fans, no way. That history totally matters to how we should see things, and how we support, and the team absolutely deserves better from its fans than this.

We may not turn it around this year. If we don’t, I will not be acting like a 12 year old enraged by what I got in my lunchbox.
    Or do the fans deserve better from the defending Champions? Blaming fans is a losers mentality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Or do the fans deserve better from the defending Champions? Blaming fans is a losers mentality.
    Gratitude works both ways. Perhaps showing some for winning the fucking treble last season would entail giving them a season to start rebuilding again, as the rest of the league was doing that last year when we were already on top.

Look at this story from MLSsoccer today about Houston. In the same two years that we were getting Giovinco and Vasquez, they were rebuilding with south American talent. Now, they have SIX competitive strikers (five?); either way, their depth across the front just shows how reliant we were on Seba and Jozy.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...-full-transfer

We have no forward depth. Ergo, we are not going to be able to compete with injuries. And we have had tons of injuries.

The defensive corps has lost all of its experience. All. We have two guys in their early twenties who have never been number one center halfs on the pitch. And we're trying to integrate two more players who don't speak much English in Auro and Akexte.

This is not a season to be blaming coaching talent. If there are shortfalls, they came from overconfidence in the front office about our depth. But given Bez's last five years, he gets a FUCKING PASS.

Jesus H.

Let's not make this another example of Toronto Fans only caring if their team can win, and shitting on them all of the rest of the time, okay? It's an old cliche that really deserves a kick in the teeth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Gratitude works both ways. Perhaps showing some for winning the fucking treble last season would entail giving them a season to start rebuilding again, as the rest of the league was doing that last year when we were already on top.

Look at this story from MLSsoccer today about Houston. In the same two years that we were getting Giovinco and Vasquez, they were rebuilding with south American talent. Now, they have SIX competitive strikers (five?); either way, their depth across the front just shows how reliant we were on Seba and Jozy.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...-full-transfer

We have no forward depth. Ergo, we are not going to be able to compete with injuries. And we have had tons of injuries.

The defensive corps has lost all of its experience. All. We have two guys in their early twenties who have never been number one center halfs on the pitch. And we're trying to integrate two more players who don't speak much English in Auro and Akexte.

This is not a season to be blaming coaching talent. If there are shortfalls, they came from overconfidence in the front office about our depth. But given Bez's last five years, he gets a FUCKING PASS.

Jesus H.

Let's not make this another example of Toronto Fans only caring if their team can win, and shitting on them all of the rest of the time, okay? It's an old cliche that really deserves a kick in the teeth.
    Just want to highlight the last line. For real, Toronto is supremely guilty of this. Look at the Jays right now, attendance is all but gone again, and making fun of the team is back in.

We don't need to stoop to those levels. Every team goes through spells no matter how good, I have faith we will get it back. That's one thing this current regime has gained through us over the time and that's trust.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or do the fans deserve better from the defending Champions?...
    All we deserve is for them to make an effort, including management.

I have seen nothing (apart from those 45 minutes in NYC) to indicate this team has stopped trying.

Have they been good enough? No. Bez is indicating they are going shopping. Nobody is happy. This is all a proper response.

We don't deserve better - we deserve a team that gives a feces. They do.

After years of teams being bad & not caring - I prefer this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    All we deserve is for them to make an effort, including management.

I have seen nothing (apart from those 45 minutes in NYC) to indicate this team has stopped trying.

Have they been good enough? No. Bez is indicating they are going shopping. Nobody is happy. This is all a proper response.

We don't deserve better - we deserve a team that gives a feces. They do.

After years of teams being bad & not caring - I prefer this.
    Effort is what I'm talking about. The last 2 games it's been there but prior to that (post Mexico) it didnt seem like it was all there on the pitch (Aketxe, Ricketts, Zava, Seba sometimes).

Rebuilding is down to the FO and if fans aren't showing up or being as loud then that's a message for the FO. Unfortunately the players are caught in the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Jesus H.

Well said.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently you are.
    LOL read as "I know you are but what am I". If all you came for was playoffs, that's too bad for you.

Deserve butter? Blaming fans? I look for Supporters.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL read as "I know you are but what am I". If all you came for was playoffs, that's too bad for you.

Deserve butter? Blaming fans? I look for Supporters.
    Here for every game, just as you are. I'm not just here for playoffs. But the point of the regular season is supporters shield/playoffs and without those to go towards our MLS season is pretty much over and that's what this discussion is about. I expect better from a management group that preaches long-term, sustainable success, and I'm surprised by the number of people who don't (though it's a minority).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here for every game, just as you are. I'm not just here for playoffs. But the point of the regular season is supporters shield/playoffs and without those to go towards our MLS season is pretty much over and that's what this discussion is about. I expect better from a management group that preaches long-term, sustainable success, and I'm surprised by the number of people who don't (though it's a minority).
    No.

If the season is over you stop watching. It's not over. If you think it's semantics then you look at supporting differently.

Wanting better and checking out are different and on that we agree. It's the language that is the problem. It sets the tone that any of us would check out before the last kick of the ball.

It's important.

That's why the season is over for fairweather bandwagon glory hunters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

If the season is over you stop watching. It's not over. If you think it's semantics then you look at supporting differently.

Wanting better and checking out are different and on that we agree. It's the language that is the problem. It sets the tone that any of us would check out before the last kick of the ball.

It's important.

That's why the season is over for fairweather bandwagon glory hunters.
    If the season is over you stop watching if you're a fairweather fan, as you said, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the season is over in the first place.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the season is over you stop watching if you're a fairweather fan, as you said, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the season is over in the first place.
    I don't think you are grasping "expression" vs literal. This is a case where the expression has lost it's meaning. It's the problem with the whole thread because of it's title.

We are not making playoffs is not saying there is nothing left to see here.

Like I said at the start, a ridiculous thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently one of the toughest remaining schedules..and about 30 points needed so something like a 10-6 or 9-4-3 record..extremely unlikely but good thing is NE and CHI have a tougher one and PHI equal

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...hest-road-left

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Agreed. This is exactly how I see it.

We've played a ton of football in the last couple of years, and we've been decimated by injuries for the last few months.

lf we qualify for the CCL and take a genuine run at a playoff spot, I'll be content under the circumstances.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-09-2018 at 06:46 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. We have come a long way from asking for gravy boats.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok my two cents...no matter what happens for the rest of the year...I will consider this a successful year. I will take a CONCACAF Final losing only on penalties in a heartbeat. The injuries and damage that it took out of the team...well there is no team in MLS that could survive that. There is a chance that we can make the play-offs...dwindling for sure. To call for wholesale changes would be insane. Sure few tweaks and punting Aketxe and replacing him with someone could spark the second half. It is as important to me that we get back to Concacaf for next season.

I really hate the Hockey/Leafs term "rebuilding year"...we should never use it. Ideally we are trying to improve 2-3 first team spots a year. Blow up the management and team and we are looking at a trip back into TFC circa 2007-2015.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is only one thing I would ask the team to be tough on themselves about, and that is the training/medical/rehab setup.

I don't really understand why (i) so many guys have been injured in practice, and (ii) why most of those injured appear to have come back too early, and quickly re-injured themselves.

I don't want to rush to judge, or criticize, nobody is perfect.... I just want to understand. What have we learned from this?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”