Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A big step in the right direction. Bodies are coming back and we have people playing in their correct positions. Just need to string a few together and get that swagger back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3rd seed is still attainable. Will be tough, but not impossible. A top 2 seed is pretty much out of the question though.

Just get into the playoffs and get there healthy. If that happens, we have a shot to repeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good weekend for us, win in Philly, nycfc and atl tied, redbulls and crew tied, Orlando lose and MTL losing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Five points out of the playoffs with a game in hand.
    Last edited by Canary10; 06-10-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by paul-collins; 06-10-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year was a record season points wise and we were only a bit above 2 ppg. There are 3 teams currently on 2 ppg. That isn’t sustainable. They will come back to earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"They think it's all over.....it is now"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba and Osorio have contract issues and see Aketxe getting a tonne of undeserved cash. I think this has poisoned the locker room and is a factor in our team performing so poorly.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Seba and Osorio have contract issues and see Aketxe getting a tonne of undeserved cash. I think this has poisoned the locker room and is a factor in our team performing so poorly.
    You should write a novel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t see it.

Oso is having a great year, and while Seba may be unsettled re his contract, it has nothing to do with Aketxe - the difference between what Aketxe is worth, vs what he is being paid, is beer money to Seba.

I'd bet Seba couldn’t pick Aketxe out of a police lineup.

The problem is injuries, and especially Jozy. That and cumulative fatigue.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roster construction is another issue. We have too many fragile players, other teams have managed to have a healthy squad despite the MLS rules. RBNY went fairly deep into the CCL without so many injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roster construction is another issue. We have too many fragile players, other teams have managed to have a healthy squad despite the MLS rules. RBNY went fairly deep into the CCL without so many injuries.
    '

RBNY also had 3 plus months off in each of the past two off seasons, where as TFC had approximately 12 weeks over the same period...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The east is crap again, a whole bunch of times are coughing it up

It really won’t take that much to get in.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The east is crap again, a whole bunch of times are coughing it up

It really won’t take that much to get in.
    Thats' one of the things I keep looking at.

Despite all of this, we are only 6 points out with a game in hand. We all know what can happen when a team sneaks into the playoffs on a hot streak!
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll wait until the end of July. If we're still in a hole, it's over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a shot of energy.

We may also be tactically found out at this point. We're always trying to run a short pass offense around the box, but it's so compressed, with five up around the box, that it's hard to pull the other team out of shape. We've been playing basically the same two sets for two years now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We left something in Guadalajara. Jozy, sure, but clearly something more than that. I thought this was the game we'd find it.

There is still a good chance we'll be a factor, given the ridiculous setup in MLS. The east is crap, 8 points back with two games in hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we finally start questioning gm, coaches, sports scientists etc ? Given the highest budget in mls they're keeping company with the bottom earning under a point per game. But the ccl!! Nyrb also had a decent ccl run except they're not crashing out of mls despite similar travel/games and 1/3 the budget

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Can we finally start questioning gm, coaches, sports scientists etc ? Given the highest budget in mls they're keeping company with the bottom earning under a point per game. But the ccl!! Nyrb also had a decent ccl run except they're not crashing out of mls despite similar travel/games and 1/3 the budget
    I'm really starting to worry about the whole medical regime. Where the heck were Vazquez, VDW, Mavinga, Auro? I thought Hernandez was doing a decent job vs. BWP, but then he went down as well, screwing us for an offensive sub in that heat. Feels like one step forward, two steps back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We left something in Guadalajara. Jozy, sure, but clearly something more than that. I thought this was the game we'd find it.

There is still a good chance we'll be a factor, given the ridiculous setup in MLS. The east is crap, 8 points back with two games in hand.
    i though Delgado had his first decent game since Mexico, starting to look like his old self, to bad he missed his chance that would have been a massive boost for the kid.

we are still in it but 3 points against The Loons are almost a must

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the topic of “sell Giovinco, fire management, the season is over etc etc”:

The biggest hurdle leadership needs to jump is how they are going to gracefully rebuild a team that they themselves have curated based on a certain culture and group collective, which when successful turns the group into friends and the best players into ‘legends’. Manning was never able to do that at RSL and Bez has never had to be in that sort of position. Whether that moment is now or further down the line I don’t know, but if they want to maintain CCL contention year-on-year they’re going to have to know when to let go of regressing players to maintain quality, be decisive to reduce transition time, and handle it gracefully to keep up the clubs reputation.

If we miss playoffs playing the way we’re playing, it would be a massive gamble by club leadership to call it an outlier because of injuries, bad luck, etc. If it is an outlier than next season should be similar to 2017. However if it’s not and the club is actually getting worse 2019 would likely be even worse than this season. Further to that the club would have to rebuild with a number of regressing assets (Moor, Giovinco, Bradley) and heavy contracts (Aketxe, Vazquez, Zavaleta, VDW) as well as an entire league getting increasingly better.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    It's over.
    Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    Yes.
    See ya next year!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An interesting statistical breakdown of TFC's playoff chances here: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html

TFC need to finish with 46 points (33 points in the remaining 19 games - 1.74ppg) to have a positive percentage to get in to the playoffs. Of course, it depends on how other teams fare, but it's an interesting stats look at what could potentially happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is becoming frustrating, we are not playing too poorly, but we are giving up soft goals, and cannot finish our chances. I did not care while we were in the CL, and allowed some time to recover from it, I also will give some leeway in light of injuries. BUT now is the time, we need to start getting points ASAP. This will be a huge disapointing season, if we do not make the playoffs AT THE VERY LEAST. We still have what it takes to make it to the finals, but we cannot keep on dropping points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An article in the Guardian on TFC's woes: https://www.theguardian.com/football...ems-mls-soccer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    It is becoming frustrating, we are not playing too poorly, but we are giving up soft goals, and cannot finish our chances. I did not care while we were in the CL, and allowed some time to recover from it, I also will give some leeway in light of injuries. BUT now is the time, we need to start getting points ASAP. This will be a huge disapointing season, if we do not make the playoffs AT THE VERY LEAST. We still have what it takes to make it to the finals, but we cannot keep on dropping points.
    I find it baffling that we are only 8 points out of playoffs with two games in hand, to be honest... This thread is so wrong because for whatever reason the majority of the East is just not able to garner points.

But I agree, the time for turnaround is coming on fast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t define success this season by whether we make the playoffs. Being sixth in the east, whoop de doo. We could easily make the playoffs and just be cannon fodder, which is not very interesting. The east could heat up, we may play a lot better but be 7th by a whisker. We may never get truly healthy. Even if we get in and play well, knockout elimination games are often cruel, as the past few days have shown.

Results alone are not the story.

I want us to start looking like our old selves. I want the crowd roaring at BMO, I want to have fun at games. I want Atlanta to have nightmares about playing TFC in November.

That is my definition of a good season. Then let the chips fall where they may.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-03-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that this team had its soul crushed in Mexico, until we go back there we're going to slog it through.

But, I hope that they can get it out of their minds, I want to some venom, especially from Giovinco, get angry, get some vicious goals, get this team fired up.