Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There is only one thing I would ask the team to be tough on themselves about, and that is the training/medical/rehab setup.

I don't really understand why (i) so many guys have been injured in practice, and (ii) why most of those injured appear to have come back too early, and quickly re-injured themselves.

I don't want to rush to judge, or criticize, nobody is perfect.... I just want to understand. What have we learned from this?
    Rational..can't be too hard on the guys after what they've delivered the past 18 months or so. They're burnt out, 1 month of off season in 16 months isn't enough...Training staff is probably figuring that out now and adjusting the intensity and finding a balance with the hole we're in now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were rumours that some of the guys didn't take much time off after the celebrations.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Agreed. This is exactly how I see it.

We've played a ton of football in the last couple of years, and we've been decimated by injuries for the last few months.

lf we qualify for the CCL and take a genuine run at a playoff spot, I'll be content under the circumstances.
    Agreed as well --- of course we are all frustrated at this years results, and the injuries thing is a legitimate concern as to why they keep happening (for reasons beyond the overly demanding schedule over the last 20 months), and the odd signing that has not worked out this season as hoped (AA)....I don't have the patience to check but I would love to know how many games did 4,10,17,7, and 23 play together this year in MLS play -- I believe the answer was one game (the home opener when we were clearly in the midst of getting ready for Tigres)....sorry but I would love to see what a team with those 5 key pieces playing together consistently can do before I decide that they all suck including Vanney who apparently went from genius to moron in 6-7 months (I mean he coached a team who dominated two MLS Cups in a row and lost one on penalties which is a crap-shoot as the WC has shown us again)......everyone did not get miles worse than they were on December 9, 2017 that by July 2018 they all are over the hill and useless all of a sudden --- some regression was to be expected (and the focus rightly or wrongly was on CCL to start the year which again they were a penalty crapshoot away from winning) and we just have not had a lineup to play the right people in the right places to maximize our chances of success this year with no true CB and no alternative scorer up front to replace Jozy --- Am I going to rip Bez for not finding another scorer or CB after he's pulled enough rabbits out of his hat the last few years? no.....if this team is still crapping the bed with a full lineup together for ten games than maybe I'll question some tactics or effort; but if not, I will put my faith in the people that are running this team that clearly aren't afraid to spend to try to be better - it's not like mgmt is trying to cheap out on salary, or that they tripled our ST prices for those that stuck around for the last 10-12 years supporting this team....let's put it this way if the Leafs win a Cup this year in 2018-2019 (a dream), and then crap out in 2019-2020 and don't make the playoffs, I'll sign up for that two season combo right now.....as would many Leafs fans who have waited since 1967.....if I heard a Blackhawks fan whining about not making the playoffs last year after 3 Cups in 6 years, as a Leafs fan I would have little sympathy....(I know we haven't won 3 Cups in 6 years but the basic premise of missing the playoffs after being very successful).....

I'm not saying we should accept losing and be happy about it.......but think back to 2014 prior to even making the playoffs, and if I said the next four years would be playoff loss in opening game to Montreal, lose Championship on penalties, win Championship (Treble), and then miss playoffs --- would any of us who have seen such garbage in the first 7-8 years not have taken that in a heartbeat.....when the 94 (strike) and 95 Jays sucked after two World Series, my feelings of disappointment were not quite the same as if they had never won or if it had been 20+ years since being in the playoffs (2015-2016) - a little perspective is sometimes needed, the Cavs had the best player on the planet for how many years of his career and won one title, they burned jerseys the first time as they lost their one real chance at ever winning -- he delivered a title and dragged a team to the Finals and lost 3x the second time around and as much as the fans know in Cleveland know their team will suck now, the reaction was different because he delivered that one title....only one team gets to be happy at the end, are all the other seasons a failure then? if so, sports is really going to disappoint you 95-98% of the time and you may as well stop watching and punishing yourself because the ROI on being happy only when your teams win a title, is simply a bad investment of ones time.....
    Last edited by tfcfans; 07-09-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Said this in the Minny GT, but wins against MTL in the reg season and a repeat of the Canadian Championship will satisfy me for accomplishments this season. We won everything there was to win last year, and the boys had little to no offseason. Yes, they're professionals and we feel (fairly or not) that they should always be ready to go, but the long seasons in 2016 and 2017 have to take a toll. We all got used to winning so this season has been very difficult to watch, but at the end of the day we had TWO consecutive MLS cups at home and won one of them - so if that means this season is a tough pill to swallow, I'll gladly be happy with what we did over the past couple seasons and hope that 2019 is different.

That all said, I'll stay on the glass half full camp and hope that we muster some kind of run into 6th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team needs to get healthy and they need to give some consideration to shutting down multiple players for rest. Watching guys bounce in-and-out of the lineup after injuries looks bad on the coaching staff and the trainers.

We need to see these guys at 100% to know whether they still have what it takes to be on a championship team (even if that can only happen in meaningless end of season ties). From there we can think about what signings need to be made in the offseason.

This season is shot. It’s time to turn our eyes to 2019, not haplessly chase after a measly Canadian championship and CCL qualification when we know the team isn’t going to do anything with it as they are currently constructed.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-15-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is what happens to a successful team nearly winning the CCL then MLS has to address what has happened in some way.

I agree that the season is done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious: Didn’t Vazquez and Mavinga sign long term contracts just before going down with injuries? Getting rid of Beitishour was a big mistake. Leaving Edwards exposed, an even bigger one. Signing EVM and Axcete, didnt improve the team. What is going on with the constant hamstring injuries on this team? What is Aura’s status? Can we finally get rid of Osorio while he still has some value? Didn’t Delgado also sign long term, then play himself off the starting lineup? When does Bradley announce his desire to play in LA? Which league matches Seba’s TFC salary prompting him to leave in 2019?
    2017 was fantastic. I predict five years of rebuilding to follow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer to most of these questions is, the injury gods got us. We got used to our journeyman players getting results last year, but this year it ain't happening. It's a bit disappointing.

Let's see where we are in 5-6 games. I think we can win 4 of them. We are due, and the cavalry is coming.

Also I hereby rename this the TFC communal anxiety disorder thread.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer to most of these questions is, the injury gods got us. We got used to our journeyman players getting results last year, but this year it ain't happening. It's a bit disappointing.

Let's see where we are in 5-6 games. I think we can win 4 of them. We are due, and the cavalry is coming.

Also I hereby rename this the TFC communal anxiety disorder thread.
    I agree, turn around HAS to come, full strength, let's see what we do.

That said, What a drop off !!!!! Nobody expected this. We have had a lot of injuries, tiredness, apathy, etc.. and we have definitely been unsettled BUT what a drop off from full strength to this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all got carried away with this "best team in MLS history stuff" and missed some obvious signs that we weren't THAT good.

Not least of which, we barely, and I mean barely, got through both series in the Eastern playoffs. We also had a whole bunch of pretty fortunate regular season games in 2017, where we were outplayed, but got wins.

We are still, at or near full strength, an excellent MLS team.

This is kind of a PTSD reaction caused by our weird history, imho. We went from “nothing good ever happens to us, we always suck” to “we deserve all good things, all the time, we are so great” in maybe 18 months.

The truth is that neither is right.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-15-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all got carried away with this "best team in MLS history stuff" and missed some obvious signs that we weren't THAT good.

Not least of which, we barely, and I mean barely, got through both series in the Eastern playoffs. We also had a whole bunch of pretty fortunate regular season games in 2017, where we were outplayed, but got wins.

This is kind of a PTSD reaction caused by our weird history, imho. We went from “nothing good ever happens to us, we always suck” to “we deseve everything good, all the time, we are so great” in maybe 18 months.

It's just shellshock from how fast things got so bad. Injuries notwithstanding of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is kind of a PTSD reaction caused by our weird history, imho. We went from “nothing good ever happens to us, we always suck” to “we deserve all good things, all the time, we are so great” in maybe 18 months.

There are also a slew of ancillary factors to consider. Jozy and Michael Bradley are basically football pariahs now in every U.S. stadium. After what they've given to that program since they were teenagers, the disgust and distraction level right now must be extremely high.

Seba has lost a step speed-wise, and is being marked a lot tighter. He needs to play more of a playmaker role, or have someone open up space so he can be a fox in the box. But without Jozy we have no one experienced and strong enough to play that hold-up. He also hasn't worked out a new deal with only a year left and there seems to be little impetus from the club. That's not very loyal.

Vazquez has turned into a porcelain player right after signing a big deal with a back that makes him an occasional contributor at best. And we have no quality start center backs, just two guys who -- and we can shed the young label at this point -- have great physical attributes but can only survive and contribute when directed.

Aketxe was a bust, Delgado's confidence was shot after the cup miss, and Auro, while a good winger, really can't defend, particularly on set pieces.

Other clubs have caught up while all this is going on, doubling the impact of every blow. On top of that, Vanney has been wedded to tactics that require a healthy team.

This season isn't all about the injuries. There's been some real mismanagement as well, I hate to say it.

Having said that, if we actually ever get healthy again we're still a competitive club. They just need to make some hard decision and bring in some improved supporting cast members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree .. we have been awful this season .. but at home we have outplayed the opposition almost every game and should have at least had 3 more wins .. with 5 to 6 starters missing ...and yes we were the best team in mls history that’s a fact .. looks atl may break that record this year

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ATL is having issues beating teams who don't try to run against them. Actually they always have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

14 games remaining. TFC need to win a minimum of 8 games to have a shot at making the final. Of the 14, 5 are must wins:

Vs Chi
    @SJ
    Vs Mon
    Vs NE
    Vs Van

If they can get these 5, they need 3 wins and maybe a tie or 2 in the other 9 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    14 games remaining. TFC need to win a minimum of 8 games to have a shot at making the final. Of the 14, 5 are must wins:

Vs Chi
    @SJ
    Vs Mon
    Vs NE
    Vs Van

If they can get these 5, they need 3 wins and maybe a tie or 2 in the other 9 games.
    I’d say we need 10 wins. That gets us to 49 which should be in. Very difficult but possible if the TFC we all know is in there somewhere shows up for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I’d say we need 10 wins. That gets us to 49 which should be in. Very difficult but possible if the TFC we all know is in there somewhere shows up for the rest of the season.
    And we probably still need at least one signing to give us more depth. Any time we have to play guys out of position (like Morrow on the right in Chicago), it's not ideal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 wins is to basically guarantee a spot.

8-9 wins can get us there, but 10 to guarantee one i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer is Jozy Altidore. He's the most important player long term for this squad while Gio is the best when everything is going "right" for the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per all my other previous posts, we are not - and never were - out of the playoff picture. We just needed to keep pace with the bottom rung teams and playoff line until we returned to health by late July/early August where there would be 2 months left to go.

Of course we're still weeks away from the finish line, but for all the doomsday and naysayers, look at where we sit:

Tied with Orlando in points and games played.

1 point behind Chicago with 2 games in hand

5 points behind Philly (no games in hand)

6 points behind NE (no games in hand) with one game at home versus them. I see that as only a 3 point deficit.

6 points behind MTL, with two games in hand with 2 games against them. I see this as us moving ahead of them.

So what the above means is - as long as we stay status quo for the rest of the year in terms of points gained compared to everyone else below the 4th place in the East, we would:

have 2 playoff positions to be gunning for (5 and 6)

Moved ahead of CHI, MTL
    ORL and NE are just a 1 win differential away from us... which we should be able to surpass.

Philly... doesn't really matter, they can take the 5th seed with the equation above because we've just landed ourselves in 1 of the 2 playoff spots.

We have the best team in the league when the lineup is on the field. Knocking down the "easy" point at hands and competing against the other best teams in the league puts us in a great test and position. Once we show that we can continue to beat them and go on a long run - NO team in MLS will want to meet us in the playoffs.

Still work to do - but we were never out of it, and still aren't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just about putting a streak together.

btw keep half an eye on DCU, whose record is skewed because they were waiting for Audi Field to open, and have mostly home games left. They could easily get into the mix. Wouldn’t surprise me if TFC and DCU both make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are 13 games left in the season.

We will need between 45-51 points to just make the playoffs.

23-29 points more than we have currently.

That is 1.77-2.23ppg for those last 13 games.

That means this team needs their best player playing their best for the next 17 games (with playoffs)

Maximum points is 39 from the next 13 games.

Maximum points that can be dropped is between 10 and 16.

Realistically if all teams play as they are currently 47 points is likely safe.

That is 8 wins, 1 tie, 4 losses (or 7 wins 4 ties and 1 loss)

We have 6 games against teams above 1.75ppg (2 against Atlanta)

We only have 3 games against teams currently below the red line.

With a fully healthy squad playing at their best to over come the issues it is in the realm of possibility.

Is the squad fully healthy and clicking yet? no.

Will they be healthy in time? That is the question right now.

To be sure to get into the playoffs this team needs to win 9 of the next 13 games.

Last night we beat a team that is 5 points below the line with 2 games in hand. It is the next games that will be telling.

IF TFC has 30 points or greater on August 30th there is a chance to make it. Anything less than that and playoff are likely done

I just wanted to add last season the results of those last 13 games were 9 wins 2 loses 2 draws. 29 points.
    Last edited by Kaz; 07-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Globetrotter;1876702]Per all my other previous posts, we are not - and never were - out of the playoff picture. We just needed to keep pace with the bottom rung teams and playoff line until we returned to health by late July/early August where there would be 2 months left to go.[/B]
    Though the reason we're not out of it yet is basically because teams like Philly, Orlando, Chicago and NE have been so mediocre, allowing us to hang around – if two of them were better we might have been too far behind.

So yeah, if we can play every game like we did second half against Chicago, we should be fine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossing fingers that Jozy remains healthy all season. No Jozy, no playoffs.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as of today BET365 has TFC, Montreal and New England all same odds to take the 5th and 6th place slots
    so one of the 3 is not going to make it, the other two are going to get 5th and 6th

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again this thread is wrong.

Burn it and watch it die

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2014: 32 Points in 22 Games

2018: 23 Points in 22 Games

In case anyone's memory is fuzzy we did not make the playoffs in 2014 and Ryan Nelsen was sacked after accruing 33 Points over 24 Games (a total Vanney will certainly not hit by 24 Games).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

In case anyone's memory is fuzzy we did not make the playoffs in 2014 and Ryan Nelsen was sacked after accruing 33 Points over 24 Games (a total Vanney will certainly not hit by 24 Games).
    RN hadn't won an MLS Cup, neither did he have the injury problem that TFC had. More critically, RN didn't agree on strategy with Bez, which is the main reason he was fired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Firing Vanney would be madness. Nelson didn't accomplish 1/5 of what Vanney has. Full squad Vanney can't really be doubted in MLS.