Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think this club has come so far as to be considered "big" then it needs to be held accountable. Recent results (and performances) have been poor and deserve an explanation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a side note:
    Frei is the best goalkeeper by far TFC had in it's history.
    Why the fuck was Frei let to go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If you think this club has come so far as to be considered "big" then it needs to be held accountable. Recent results (and performances) have been poor and deserve an explanation.

Three of our five league losses have come from Auro either being caught offside or not marking tightly enough. He was here to be a backup, but we have no central backs.

The defense being whittled down to nothing is having a bigger effect than it might appear, and it also takes MB away from being the midfield holder.

Then there's Vasquez, who seems very fragile this season.

Things aren't clicking with Aketxe, and again it's probably because he's young and hasn't been with the team long.

Basically, bring back two injured players and it's a different club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why, why, fucking why do we have to lay an egg against the fucking anti-football coward Sounders? Anyone but them. They haven't tried to play a real match against us in years and now they're getting away with another one.

Schmetzer is slime, literally yelling at his players from the sideline to waste time.

Ref was complete garbage. And how is Hasler clearly and obviously offside against Chicago but Bwana isn't today?

We need CBs to get healthy, and Bradley needs to move back into midfield. But regardless this was a bad performance, no excuse for not beating that Sounders team at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now going into New England a place they always get hammered even last year when they were the greatest team in MLS history, this team could easily fall to 2 and 6 and slowly this season will start getting away from them, once you get in that losing mode it gets harder to get out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Why, why, fucking why do we have to lay an egg against the fucking anti-football coward Sounders? Anyone but them. They haven't tried to play a real match against us in years and now they're getting away with another one.

Schmetzer is slime, literally yelling at his players from the sideline to waste time.

Ref was complete garbage. And how is Hasler clearly and obviously offside against Chicago but Bwana isn't today?

We need CBs to get healthy, and Bradley needs to move back into midfield. But regardless this was a bad performance, no excuse for not beating that Sounders team at home.
    Because MLS. Look at the Kaka joking hand to face red card and the foul earlier on Morgan that is a red in any other game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Three of our five league losses have come from Auro either being caught offside or not marking tightly enough. He was here to be a backup, but we have no central backs.

The defense being whittled down to nothing is having a bigger effect than it might appear, and it also takes MB away from being the midfield holder.

Then there's Vasquez, who seems very fragile this season.

Things aren't clicking with Aketxe, and again it's probably because he's young and hasn't been with the team long.

Basically, bring back two injured players and it's a different club.
    Don’t think it will be as easy as that anymore even by bringing back a few of the injured players, this team is slowly losing that invincibility it had built up last year and it’s going to be hard to get it back with all this losing that has gone on so far this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a complete and utter embarrassment. It is absolutely shocking to lose to a weaken Seattle side like that at home. Tonight should lay to rest the myth of our much lauded depth. It certainly wasn’t evident tonight. If we’re honest we should admit we invested poorly in the off season. Aketxe should be put on the first plane back to Spain, the guy is a waste of a shirt. Auro flatters to deceive, the guy seems incapable of putting over a decent cross. We would have been better keeping Beta an extra season, but given we didn’t, Hasler is the better option at right back both defensively and in attack. We also need to face the fact that Hamilton, Ricketts, Telfour, and Chapman are nothing more than TFC II level.No use pretending otherwise. The same goes for the other recent call up. In fact I’d go as far as saying without Bradley and Vazquez playing at their peak we look a very average side. Even Vanney doesn’t escape criticism tonight. If Hernandez was fit enough to come on as a sub, why couldn’t he start the game and give us 60 minutes at least, allowing Bradley to play where he’s best. At least we wouldn’t have given up such a poor opener.

That is hands down the poorest I’ve seen us play in a long time and it needs sorted pronto before the playoffs and a decent seeding position is out of our reach. Oh, and if this form is down to CCL play then maybe we should forget about investing so much in a competition that is clearly skewed in favour of Mexican teams and nothing more than glorified pre-season for MLS sides

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The current starting squad is mid table. Thankfully we will get people back. That was a game where we couldn't finish. We are, with a full squad, still the best team in the east.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, we got beaten by a very weak Seattle team.
    We got beaten not by Seattle, but by our disfunctions on the field.

Please no more sugar coating, no more excuses after this game in interviews by the coaching staff and players.
    We are underperforming big time this seasom in MLS, no matter the injuries we are dealing with.

There is needed a very serious analysis on what is going on this season.
    I do not want to hear any more "we are very confident" kind of declarations from any player before the next 3-4 games.

There are zero grounds this season to be confident against any team in MLS, because we had a convincing game just against Philadelphia, which is utter shit team.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-09-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The current starting squad is mid table. Thankfully we will get people back. That was a game where we couldn't finish. We are, with a full squad, still the best team in the east.
    The problem is that I can't see getting those missing players back to be at FULL potential in under 1 month from now.
    How many more points are we going to lose in that month?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't even look at the standings until the end of May. We really miss Morrow and Jozy tho. Seemed like a lot of good buildup in the final third with no finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep saying that by all means if it makes you feel better. We had an amazing season last year and one that I’m glad happened in my lifetime but this MLS regular season so far is turning into the old TFC of years gone by and just making the playoffs will be an accomplishment if they make it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ that's a bit of an overstatement.
    What TFC lacks is enough depth to handle so many starters out.

Bradley isn't a defender and we really need some back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole season so far, including the CONCACAF champs league run, came down to the fact that we can't finish.
    Seriously, we are as impotent up front like a 80 years old man, with all the posession we are racking up on some games.

Of course, the defense was a shadow of last years's, but that is excusable because of the injuries.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-09-2018 at 09:26 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta lost at home tonight too. NYC got thumped on Saturday. Watching them all, nobody looks better than us.

Team needs to bury chances. Chapman gets at least one of his 3 sitters in the first half and we are all talking differently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blame Telfer. Clearly he was the problem. If he scores two goals we win. ;-)

This bugged me, but mostly because every time they do a closeup on a Seattle player I want to reach through the screen and rip the effing star off their jersey. That star is ours.

I don’t understand why we can’t convert with pressure like we had in the first half. Same thing happened in the second half of the opener. Suspect the field is still a factor.

Their second goal is offside. Can someone explain why that wasn’t reviewed?

Aketxe was a bit of a hog in the second half, and can’t seem to get a hold of the ball on his shots. It's starting to get to him. It's also bugging Seba. He'll be gone in the summer if this doesn’t turn.

Finally... Seba kicking that ball in the 89th minute is just stupid and selfish.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta lost at home tonight too. NYC got thumped on Saturday. Watching them all, nobody looks better than us.

Team needs to bury chances. Chapman gets at least one of his 3 sitters in the first half and we are all talking differently.
    I agree, but how the hell can we bury any chances, if we do not have any healthy true blood class forward, except Seba?
    With Jozy injured, everybody else who is a forward is one class under.

Ricketts was extremely poor this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ^ that's a bit of an overstatement.
    What TFC lacks is enough depth to handle so many starters out.

Bradley isn't a defender and we really need some back.
    I think logically Aketxe was not a smart choice. Forgetting skill level but even thinking I’m terms of position.

This team needed a better backup striker (because it’s inevitable Altidore or Giovinco or both will be unavailable at points), a defensive mid for when Bradley is out, or a wide player of real quality (since teams jam us centrally all the time and the flanks are open).

Flank play tonight sucked. The lack of a true DM in midfield did us no favours, and Ricketts / Hamilton were not making any impact.

A guy who played at Aketxe’s level At any of those other positions would have had a greater impact. We made a 1+1=1.5 signing here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^The development of Osorio wasn’t obvious when we signed Aketxe. Oso just flat out forced Vanney's hand, he has taken major minutes away from Aketxe.

I was thinking about this same point re vdW. I like Gregory, he is a good player, but Beita was a good player, and unlike Oso, that wasn’t a debate. Greg's not worth $700K a year more than Beita, and swapping him for Beita has a big opportunity cost (ie we could have used the dough elsewhere)

20/20 hindsight.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-09-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How quickly Friday night is forgotten - gotta remember it was a short week too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think logically Aketxe was not a smart choice. Forgetting skill level but even thinking I’m terms of position.

This team needed a better backup striker (because it’s inevitable Altidore or Giovinco or both will be unavailable at points), a defensive mid for when Bradley is out, or a wide player of real quality (since teams jam us centrally all the time and the flanks are open).

Flank play tonight sucked. The lack of a true DM in midfield did us no favours, and Ricketts / Hamilton were not making any impact.

A guy who played at Aketxe’s level At any of those other positions would have had a greater impact. We made a 1+1=1.5 signing here.
    This, the bolded part is the krux of TFC's problem this season.
    We'll get back our backline sooner or later, but finishing I think will be the problem this year.
    If in the summer trade window we do not get a quality forward, there are some serious questions to be asked at the management level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite frankly that is embarrassing if Vanney is trying to blame a marginal offside for tonight’s performance. We were quite simply shocking from start to finish. Blaming an offside call doesn’t change how badly we played. Vanney has to take his share of the blame for this. Putting it on the officials is classless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^The development of Osorio wasn’t obvious when we signed Aketxe. Oso just flat out forced Vanney's hand, he has taken major minutes away from Aketxe.

I was thinking about this same point re vdW. I like Gregory, he is a good player, but Beita was a good player. Greg's not worth $700K a year more than Beita, and swapping him for Beita has a big opportunity cost (ie we could have used the dough elsewhere)

20/20 hindsight.
    +1

VDW is good, but no way he's worth that much compared to Beita.
    Overall he seems just marginally better than Beita.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Quite frankly that is embarrassing if Vanney is trying to blame a marginal offside for tonight’s performance. We were quite simply shocking from start to finish. Blaming an offside call doesn’t change how badly we played. Vanney has to take his share of the blame for this. Putting it on the officials is classless
    No it's not embarassing. Why wasn’t that call reviewed? Using the iPhone like that is a nice bit of theatre.

I'll wager he learned this from Herrera. Remember? “The cops attacked my players”!

When your own room is upset, you have to go out to the press, deflect, and lay on some theatrics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this same point re vdW. I like Gregory, he is a good player, but Beita was a good player, and unlike Oso, that wasn’t a debate. Greg's not worth $700K a year more than Beita, and swapping him for Beita has a big opportunity cost (ie we could have used the dough elsewhere)

20/20 hindsight.
    I have sympathy for this team. If not for CCL we’re not having this conversation right now. Find me another team in MLS that can withstand losing its top 3 CB’s, it’s best fullback, its playmaker, and target man and still maintain any semblance of competitiveness.

I’m just a little miffed we’re getting further and further behind the 8 ball. Makes me resent the CCL in general and brings back all those old feelings of it being a garbage tournament that will never be practical. But damnit, it was a fun ride.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-09-2018 at 10:03 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20/20 hindsight.
    I believe vdW cost us less under the cap than Beitashour, as we signed Grey on TAM. Now if you think that TAM would have been better spent on another player to bring in, that could be. But vdW didn't cost us $700k more than Beitashour.

Overall that game was massively annoying, on every front. I just checked the highlights: I thought that TFC had a decent shout for a penalty but that isn't shown in the highlights, same as a bunch of other contentious calls.

Unkel is awful, but lately I find the assistant referees especially bad. Some blatantly bad calls on corners/goal kicks, balls over the line not called, problems with offside calls, etc. BTW I wouldn't make a big deal about offside & VAR on Seattle's 2nd goal, because Giovinco was about the same distance offside on our goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to know that club management believes in the coulda, shoulda, woulda approach. Definitely makes me feel like they know how to take responsibility for a poor performance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    But vdW didn't cost us $700k more than Beitashour.
    I'll rephrase. We could have (i) Beita and the $700K to buy down another player, or (ii) vdW.