Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney post game mad about the first Chicago goal, saying Nikolic was offside and made a play towards the ball before Schweinsteiger headed it in, and it should've at least been looked at like they did our goals. Honestly, I think he has a point. Seen goals disallowed for less on influencing the play from an offside position (remember Cheyrou's goal away at NYRB last year when they called it back for Edwards stepping out of the way of the shot?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly..I find Hasler frustrating..he's got a bit of industry about him..but half the player that Auro is. There was no reason for him to be offside on Gio's goal...his mistake to be so close. Over rated IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Vanney post game mad about the first Chicago goal, saying Nikolic was offside and made a play towards the ball before Schweinsteiger headed it in, and it should've at least been looked at like they did our goals. Honestly, I think he has a point. Seen goals disallowed for less on influencing the play from an offside position (remember Cheyrou's goal away at NYRB last year when they called it back for Edwards stepping out of the way of the shot?).
    This is absolutely right. That goal should have been called back for sure. Schweinsteiger knew it as well...that why he tried to get he restart so quickly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have watched every team in this league more than 3 times this season.

IMNVHO,

We are the best team.

We currently have 4 CBs out injured. Even then, our defense is better than Atlanta & NYC & LAFC.

We have the strongest midfield in the league.

We have 2 of the best 5 strikers.

We are beat up & tired. We may not be able to get the supporters shield.

But we are going to kill this league for the next 6 months.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-28-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we'll still be a little shaky for the next little while due to the injuries and CCL but late in the season once defenders get back into the line-up we'll be back to our old selves. We're so deep at midfield and we can be deadly with just Gio or Jozy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell, I've run out of gas and I'm just watching them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m tired of people beating up on Auro and Ager. Give them a bit of time and they will be indepensable. When VV first started, people were all over him, and it took him some time to acclimitaze to MLS. Further on in the season, I will be the first person to admit Ager is a write off and a bust, but we’re no where there yet.

and it took him some time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The VAR did look at it and said nothing. What I don’t understand, is how multiple times, the referee went to the VAR, yet only watched 1 replay (the penalty). All other calls were made by the VAR without the referee on the field actually watching the video.

I guess I don’t understand how VAR is to work and how an “official” not on the field can overturn calls on the field without the man calling the match reviewing the incidents himself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    The VAR did look at it and said nothing. What I don’t understand, is how multiple times, the referee went to the VAR, yet only watched 1 replay (the penalty). All other calls were made by the VAR without the referee on the field actually watching the video.

I guess I don’t understand how VAR is to work and how an “official” not on the field can overturn calls on the field without the man calling the match reviewing the incidents himself.
    Agreed.

We were told last year that the middle official would always make the final call - that is no longer happening.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC played with WAY more energy than I expected, with almost the same lineup as only 3 days ago in Guadalajara. That was a big positive. Sure they dropped off towards the end, but still had a bunch of chances to put the game away.

As others mentioned -- when you're going to have a VAR orgy like today, Schweinsteiger's goal definitely should have been called back. Nikolić was clearly offside, jumped for the ball, and was only inches away from it. That made it much harder for Bono to anticipate. Schweinsteiger's header was pretty soft, and if Bono only had one player to deal with, there's a chance he could have saved that.

I don't understand why Hasler came off when he did (similar to the game in Guadalajara). He still looked fresh & fit, and was effective both ways. Maybe they monitor activity levels and want to avoid overusing a player. But when Vazquez & Hasler came off at the same time, we totally lost control of the midfield and the ball. Look at the possession stats for the last 15 minutes to confirm that: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...ago-fire/stats

Also Ricketts isn't very effective when Vazquez isn't on the field to put accurate balls over the top. I would have put Chapman on for Vazquez -- Chapman is pretty good at possession and at playing both ways -- and kept Hasler on longer. (Osorio looked more gassed than Hasler towards the end.) Sadly Hernandez still doesn't look mentally and/or physical up-to-speed after the long layoff. He's not the calming influence that he was last year.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-28-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts lost that game when he didn't run into that space when Gio was receiving the ball. He should have had that, all day.

That is his bread and butter. If he's not getting those chances, he's not worth it on the field. Put Hamilton on instead. (And I've been a big Ricketts supporter up until now)

There was too much petulant arm waving in the last 10 minutes. We weren't getting the calls, true, but we needed to defend instead of arguing.

I might have tried Hasler up front in a 4-4-2 instead of the 4-5-1 we ran with.

I like Auro, and I think Akxete is going to work out.

vdW is still playing like a corner back, he lets players cut inside. He's getting better though - I'd have him automatically as part of our 3 in a 3-5-2, and he will be good in a 2-CB setup soon enough (he's decent now).

Osorio is the real thing. Delgado is not (right now).

I'm going to watch the replay to see where the offsides were or weren't. I think I know where the 2nd goal got called off, but I was certain that first Chicago goal was off also. But what do I know, I'm just a fan in the stands...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the United Bid USA/Canada/Mexico gets the World Cup so that BMO Field gets another upgrade so a lot of the open spaces in the stadium gets seats to bring the capacity over 40000. Hopefully by filling in the open spaces with more stands it will help in shielding that crazy wind in that stadium on days like today. Moreover , it will make this stadium a lot more pleasing to the eye, because BMO fiend ranks pretty low on the stadium front comprare to many in this league expecially with some of the newer ones that are popping up and have popped up in the last few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Ricketts lost that game when he didn't run into that space when Gio was receiving the ball. He should have had that, all day.

That is his bread and butter. If he's not getting those chances, he's not worth it on the field. Put Hamilton on instead. (And I've been a big Ricketts supporter up until now)

There was too much petulant arm waving in the last 10 minutes. We weren't getting the calls, true, but we needed to defend instead of arguing.

I might have tried Hasler up front in a 4-4-2 instead of the 4-5-1 we ran with.

I like Auro, and I think Akxete is going to work out.

vdW is still playing like a corner back, he lets players cut inside. He's getting better though - I'd have him automatically as part of our 3 in a 3-5-2, and he will be good in a 2-CB setup soon enough (he's decent now).

Osorio is the real thing. Delgado is not (right now).

I'm going to watch the replay to see where the offsides were or weren't. I think I know where the 2nd goal got called off, but I was certain that first Chicago goal was off also. But what do I know, I'm just a fan in the stands...
    Thought Delgado had a poor game and should have been replaced by Chapman. Though would defer to Vanney with regards to rehabilitating his damage psyche for missing the wining goal on Wednesday. If he doesn't keep up with Osorio I could see him being traded at some point. Though to be fair to the lad he was playing Bradley's role and that is a hard ask.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro Jr has been very good since the start of the year, VDV needed a few games to get some confidence but is playing well now. I think Aketxe will come around. I see problems as injuries and some suspect play from TFC vets Moor, Delgado, Ricketts, even the inconsistency of Bono.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Frankly..I find Hasler frustrating..he's got a bit of industry about him..but half the player that Auro is. There was no reason for him to be offside on Gio's goal...his mistake to be so close. Over rated IMO.
    Hasler was amazing against Chivas, TFC were in complete control until he was subbed off for Hamilton.

I also think that Gio's goal should have been allowed. The VAR over ruled the lineseman who had a far better view and was n the perfect position. The camera angle that the used to rule offside was worse than the linesman's position. There are some real issues with VAR it will take a while and some training to get it right,
    Agreed I thought this was the worst VAR decision of the day, there were a few..
    Last edited by nonc; 04-28-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is Kevin Terry Jr the VAR official for today. Good old PRO only recruit the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    That Chicago goal was offside. No doubt. Not Basta but Nikolic. He made a play for the ball and distracted Bono. This was flagrant.

Hasler was barely offside but it wasn’t an egregious mistake to call it off - just weak. The Basta goal was egregiously wrong though.

I still am angry at Ricketts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There needs to be more consistency on what constitutes gets VAR. In Hockey and Football can contest with the risk of losing a time out. Plus it feels like the NHL and NFL you can see all the angles and pretty much agree with the call before it happens except for the gray area ones which ultimately come down to the Referee. Today I felt the two VARs were wrong from the video I saw and most importantly the goal that should have been reviewed wasnt.

Does PRO actually respond to how they interpreted these decisions formally?

Its embarrassing that in this day in age with video replay you'd expect the calls to be right. It seems like its arbitrarily used and not really solving the problem of making sure the game is completely fair.

I dont think we can replicate a challenge system seen in the NHL and NFL but you'd like to think if VAR is used against you you could challenge a call going forward....

Thoughts other than VAR sucks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post

This is Kevin Terry Jr the VAR official for today. Good old PRO only recruit the best!
    32 yrs old, grade 3 “pro”, considered a 4th official only in MLS. Never worked a full game in the middle.

Blows my mind still how someone who has never worked a game a full game in the middle, can overturn calls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch the chivas game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it’s still early and this really is the first game without having to worry about the CCL anymore, however, a lot of teams have improved and seem to be much better than last year, my biggest concern are all these injuries. Mavinga has been hurt for awhile now how much longer before he is 100%? What about Morrow , how many more games? Altidore is a big concern now and add in Moore and of course Haglund too. For this team to go on a run they need all these guys back, but when? How many more games with these makeshift lineups that basically make this team just an average MLS club not last years dominant club. The longer this team goes with these patched up lineups the longer they will go with dropping points they can’t afford to lose and the deeper the hole will get. Therefore let’s hope we can soon get all these guys back or else in no time just making the playoffs will be a struggle. I’m not blaming anyone here I’m just saying that we need all our injured guys back and soon because lineups like today with a few guys playing out of position and missing so many key players ain’t going to get you the 3 points you are going to consistently going to need to start getting, we need these players back and soon.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 04-28-2018 at 09:42 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some folks seem to not be completely happy with Auro. Remember he's supposed to be our backup RB (and can also play a couple of other positions). GvdW was supposed to be our first-choice RB. Amazing how well we've done considering our whole backline is either "second string" or makeshift replacements.

I hope we get some of our CBs healthy soon. I guess Mavinga will get shut down now for a few months for his surgery? Bradley and GvdW have done fine, but sometimes they've looked a tiny bit off in terms of positioning, or coordination of the whole defense. Not at all a criticism of them; just saying that it really hurts to not have Mavinga, Moor and the others available. Also Hagglund and that whole bunch of tall CBs are missed on corner kicks & free kicks, both in defense & attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro was the man of the match. Ager played well and so did Hasler. Not sure what game some were watching? Only week link was Morgan. He's never sure what to do when he gets the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random thoughts:

VAR will destroy the game. It is no more certain than referees in the first place, and has huge delays and inconsistencies. Let it flow!

Osorio looked gassed near the end

We looked very good most of the game, dominant

Seba should have corner flagged in the 92d minute

Auro looked very good but akexte is still off - gave the ball away all the time in the first half

Hasler was an astute pickup, has been doing very well

VAR needs to be totally reconsidered. It ruined the flow of that game and made things less certain, not more.

Chicago, in the circumstance, deserved the point and of course it was Allan Gordon
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-29-2018 at 11:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support the idea of VAR.

The implementation last year was good.

VAR says something needs to be looked at
    Ref goes look.
    Ref makes the decision.

This year, for some reason, they have given the OK for the VAR to tell the ref that there was a clear and obvious error and you don't need to look at the screen.

i.e. VAR's are making decisions in some cases and in others its the ref.

That's not what we were told was going to happen and its leading to complete inconsistency in application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Og - you are spot on. the VAR is only looking at the specific incident from specific cameras. The referee and AR's see the whole game the bigger picture. They have to be the onese\ making the decision. For that GIO goal - the VAR ref should have looked at the position of the AR and realized that he couldn't have possibly had a better view. The linesman didn't call it - and was in the absolute best position to judge.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I support the idea of VAR.

The implementation last year was good.

VAR says something needs to be looked at
    Ref goes look.
    Ref makes the decision.

This year, for some reason, they have given the OK for the VAR to tell the ref that there was a clear and obvious error and you don't need to look at the screen.

i.e. VAR's are making decisions in some cases and in others its the ref.

That's not what we were told was going to happen and its leading to complete inconsistency in application.

I think that we are going to see changes to VAR, #1 is going to be that it will be a TEAM of VAR refs in a single hub in NYC, not different refs for each game.

As for the game, we dropped the points, it's our bad, next time we need to do better.

And... ALAN FUCKING GORDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS!!!!
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys - chill out seriously. There is no doubt that we have the best team in the MLS. We absolutely destroyed that team then ran out of gas. Several very dubious VAR calls...a couple of misses ...it could of easily been 4 or 5 goals for us.

To say Auro Jr...isn't very good.. I have no idea what you are watching...coz he is night and day better than Beitashour and is young and will improve. That is an insane comment.
    Dis. We were destroying them and then the fatigue set in - cut them some slack. They've been going HAM for over a month straight now...give them time to respawn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love these guys for showing up at all yesterday. Seriously. That was an impossible situation.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gauntlet we just went through in the CCL will make MLS a cakewalk.