Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm still gutted, but so proud of this team. To win the game in such a hostile environment with a decimated lineup due to injuries is a hell of an accomplishment.

I think the CCL format sucks. There should have been 30 minutes of extra time as opposed to going directly to PKs. Terrible way to decide the tournament after such an exciting match.
    I don't disagree but I think we were physically done at the end of the 90. I'm not sure it would have been pretty if we had to go another 30. Remember, they were still dealing with some element of altitude (Guadalajara is about the same as Denver), and it was pretty hot as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shmurda42 View Post

you think liga mx gives an ef if we beat Colorado or Houston?
    win or lose, we made a name for TFC and MLS.

things are changing in concacaf, and we just watched it happen.
    Definitely changing. We got the respect of many Mexican football fans after this run. I was reading some comments from LigaMX fans and they are impressed with our team, and we actually caused such a stir that this Champions League had way more viewers than an all Liga final like last year because it feels more like a real continental tournament.

I was mad we missed the PK's last night but overall I am thrilled with the overall result and can't wait to get back to league action and see us try to defend our Cup. Let's pull a Blue Jays and go for a back to back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not happy with the refereeing especially after a non call when Perez sucker punched Giovinco in the mid section and hearing comments by sports anchors saying it was nothing or how good Perez was dealing with Giovinco!!!

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/se...o-punch-158215

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't disagree but I think we were physically done at the end of the 90. I'm not sure it would have been pretty if we had to go another 30. Remember, they were still dealing with some element of altitude (Guadalajara is about the same as Denver), and it was pretty hot as well.
    Yeah we looked absolutely gassed. With the exception of aketxe the subs had no impact. Obviously that’s partially a function of operating on a short roster but I think some of these guys (Hamilton, Ricketts) need to step up their game a bit.

But I find it hard to be negative. Compared to most MLS teams we just played up a league and just kept swinging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laiping View Post
    I'm not happy with the refereeing especially after a non call when Perez sucker punched Giovinco in the mid section and hearing comments by sports anchors saying it was nothing or how good Perez was dealing with Giovinco!!!

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/se...o-punch-158215
    how quick we forget this sht that giovinco deals with. lets not forget the non PK in the first game.
    Refs had as much a hand in this loss as TFC not being ready in game 1.

We should have won despite the ref, but give us 2 more games with the uzbekistanian ref and I think things turn out differently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an earlier post stated bradley may have intentionally thrown the last penalty kick
    i think Bradley threw the last PK. i think it was his ultimate way of saying fu to this tournament, these refs
    the refs did not call a foul on Gio in Toronto, and they never gave that guy a red card for punching Gio

it was his way of saying, here chivas you wanta win, here have it, your win means nothing, you didn't really win the best of two series with us
    plus he saved his teammate Oso from negative comments

the reality of this tournament is it ended in a tie, this is pretty sad way to end a tournament,
    it was fun watching us play the top two teams in Mexico and kicking their ass at BMO field. but yet it is also a bush league tournament compared to the Champions leage

the talking heads on tv will say differently, but they are paid to and deceive, so what they say means nothing to me regarding PK's ending the tournament

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    an earlier post stated bradley may have intentionally thrown the last penalty kick
    i think Bradley threw the last PK. i think it was his ultimate way of saying fu to this tournament, these refs
    the refs did not call a foul on Gio in Toronto, and they never gave that guy a red card for punching Gio

it was his way of saying, here chivas you wanta win, here have it, your win means nothing, you didn't really win the best of two series with us
    plus he saved his teammate Oso from negative comments

the reality of this tournament is it ended in a tie, this is pretty sad way to end a tournament,
    it was fun watching us play the top two teams in Mexico and kicking their ass at BMO field. but yet it is also a bush league tournament compared to the Champions leage

the talking heads on tv will say differently, but they are paid to and deceive, so what they say means nothing to me regarding PK's ending the tournament
    Take about 30% off the meth intake there bud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember when it happened, but can we talk about that Mavinga-like tackle that Morgan did in the box. Wow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we'll be OK people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    I have been thinking all night about what I wanted to say....so here goes....
    Well said!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Well said!
    Thanks.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    QFT

Especially the point that these were the most technically interesting games TFC has ever played. For those who would deprioritize this tournament, I guess you want wins more than entertaining soccer.

Now the league begins.
    With any club in any league around the world ask them the top priority and they'll tell you domestic champions. Normally thats the only way to qualify for the CL. We are in a rather perverted situation of course, but if we are not rolling over all comers in MLS we are not at the level to beat LigaMX sides. MLS Cup has to be the priority, and we need to find better balance next season (should we qualify) 14 points behind the leaders makes the SS trophy hard to retain this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    What the hell with all these bloody injuries I’ve never seen a team with so many injuries just incredible! Like every fucking game it seems Jozy is getting injured, every game one of our main players is out, like what’s going on here what gives?
    No real rest between the end of the league last year and CCL . Even the bodies of professionals will break down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Love this team. Toronto till I die.
    precisely
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-27-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Duck View Post
    Regardless what's the result tonight I am proud. I love this team and no matter what happened I still support them deep in my heart.
    Beautiful

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the 6-8 MLS teams that are going for it should just join up with the 10 top MX teams and create a true North American superliga

The LA teams would have a hell of a rivalry with Chivas. I bet it would transform Houston and Dallas into big MLS markets.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-26-2018 at 09:39 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT

Bradley missed that penalty on purpose. That was the first thought that entered my head. I don't know why. He just skied it. He knew that it was pretty much certain that even if he scored, the Chivas player would score his and we'd be out with all the blame on an Osorio crossbar miss. He knows Osorio is a young guy from the city, would be gutted, has got a lot of years left to play hopefully for this team, and didn't want this loss falling on his shoulders. The way Bradley took that... I just can't help but think he missed that on purpose.
    I thought the same thing but only with Bono instead of Oso. It was just the way he missed it seemed funny to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    With any club in any league around the world ask them the top priority and they'll tell you domestic champions. Normally thats the only way to qualify for the CL. We are in a rather perverted situation of course, but if we are not rolling over all comers in MLS we are not at the level to beat LigaMX sides. MLS Cup has to be the priority, and we need to find better balance next season (should we qualify) 14 points behind the leaders makes the SS trophy hard to retain this year
    If we win our 3 in hand we are 2 points behind NYCFC there's some hope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I intentionally waited until now to voice my opinion because I wanted the raw emotion to subside a bit. First and foremost I couldn't be more proud of how the boys played this tournament. They battled throughout and came up just short. The deck was just stacked to high for them unfortunately. Between the injuries and the missed chances it was just simply to much of a task to pull it off.

I am disappointed in a few things however. The first was that Hasler sub. Nothing against Hamilton but if Hasler had to come out, Ricketts should have been the forward going in. We needed his pace running the channels and opening their backline. Then there was the missed chances. Delgado in both legs with a wide open sitter, Vazquez's shot that the keeper almost made a meal of, Seba's strike with 10 minutes or so to go the just went wide, Hamilton just not able to poke the ball over the keeper. If any of those a fallen in our favour we would be having a very different conversation right now. The poor overall quality of the officiating in CONCACAF. After seeing the Uzbek crew in action it is very apparent how far behind the federation is.

What I will remember most about this run is:
    -That Arctic game in Colorado
    -Beating Tigres (both at home and in the tie)
    -That Seba free kick at El Volcan
    - Ashtone Morgan coming into his own and proving his worth
    - Oso becoming a goal scroing machine
    -Taking down Club America
    - Ashtone Morgan finally scoring at BMO
    -Getting a result at Azteca
    -Being the first Canadian team to win in Mexico

We came within a whisker of being Champions of the federation. No other MLS has come as close as we have. This team hates losing and we will be back. When we come back we will be ready and will finish what we started. Now it is time to put this behind us and focus on the league. Lets make sure we pack BMO on Saturday and show the boys how proud we are of them.

Toronto Til I Die

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Maybe the 6-8 MLS teams that are going for it should just join up with the 10 top MX teams and create a true North American superliga

The LA teams would have a hell of a rivalry with Chivas. I bet it would transform Houston and Dallas into big MLS markets.
    A North American league would be very interesting and would a great product to watch. I'm not sure how they would format the schedule.There is no way we could go on a winter schedule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd agree with you but unlike Europe, we don't need a top 4 finish, technically we can finish top 4 and still not qualify!

Winning those two Canadian Championship series is all it takes to qualify.

Getting a high seed is the main priority in the league (Top 4 tbh) and once in the playoffs, we're a tough team to beat.
    Last edited by ScarboroughRed; 04-27-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With any club in any league around the world ask them the top priority and they'll tell you domestic champions.

if we are not rolling over all comers in MLS we are not at the level to beat LigaMX sides. MLS Cup has to be the priority, and we need to find better balance next season (should we qualify) 14 points behind the leaders makes the SS trophy hard to retain this year
    a) last year we were 7 points on 6 games before we found our groove. We are in no way in a big hole for playoffs, given that we set the fucking record last year.
    b) 6 games in last year Orlando had 15 points. So we were 8 points off pace.
    c) 14 points behind leaders is a dumb way to look at the standings. They've played 8, we've played 5. That's 9 points in the balance. Our points per game is a better metric and with so few games played the stat isn't very meaningful yet.

I'd bet if you were a Championship side playing in Champions League vs, say, Roma, you'd get a different answer about what's top priority at the moment (ie when you're actually in the midst of the CL round).

Don't imagine that just because an EPL side (or Serie A or Bundesllgue or whatever) would prefer league win over CL win, that this is applicable to MLS or any other lesser league. I'd imagine Dutch teams would put a bit of priority toward their CL runs just as we did.

I don't see in any way how this run has put MLS Cup in jeopardy and so I don't accept your premise that we need "better balance" next year. Prioritizing the CCL was appropriate. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I thought the same thing but only with Bono instead of Oso. It was just the way he missed it seemed funny to me.
    While this may be plausible, I can’t believe that Bradley would intentionally miss. He’s too much of a competitor for that and I can’t imagine that oso would appreciate him throwing it to make him less of the focal point. It one thing to shoulder the blame in the press conference after all is said and done, but another to deliberately sabotage your team when you still have a chance to win (as slight as it was).

Heres my theory: recall the 2016 MLS Cup PKs... Bradley’s attempt was easily stopped by Frei - Bradley’s kick was soft, like he was trying to finesse it into the net.

Fastforward to the CCL Final PKs... I suspect the captain thought “no f’ing way that’s happening again” and put every ounce of power he had into it and it’s going in even if the keeper gets in front of it, and busting out the back of the onion bag. Sadly, he got under the ball and, well, it remains in orbit to this day.

PKs suck and don’t represent a true win in my opinion. I feel less bad about this one than I did in 2016. The team accomplished so much and I have no doubt that we will be competing at this level for the foreseeable future. We are lucky to have such an amazing team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blkndkr View Post
    While this may be plausible, I can’t believe that Bradley would intentionally miss. He’s too much of a competitor for that and I can’t imagine that oso would appreciate him throwing it to make him less of the focal point. It one thing to shoulder the blame in the press conference after all is said and done, but another to deliberately sabotage your team when you still have a chance to win (as slight as it was).

Heres my theory: recall the 2016 MLS Cup PKs... Bradley’s attempt was easily stopped by Frei - Bradley’s kick was soft, like he was trying to finesse it into the net.

Fastforward to the CCL Final PKs... I suspect the captain thought “no f’ing way that’s happening again” and put every ounce of power he had into it and it’s going in even if the keeper gets in front of it, and busting out the back of the onion bag. Sadly, he got under the ball and, well, it remains in orbit to this day.

PKs suck and don’t represent a true win in my opinion. I feel less bad about this one than I did in 2016. The team accomplished so much and I have no doubt that we will be competing at this level for the foreseeable future. We are lucky to have such an amazing team.
    Can we just dispense with the "Bradley missed on purpose" theory? It's not even worth discussing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you figure? We just knocked off 2 of the best sides in LigaMX, and were within a shoot out of a 3rd....and there's not a doubt in my (and many others') mind that would've happened with less injuries.

the salary cap of MLS almost forces teams in the CL to pick one or the other in the first couple of months, you simply cannot have a formidable "B team" waiting around for one competition or the other.....and having already taken everything there was to be had in MLS last year, its kinda obvious that the next step for a team with TFC's ambition would've been to rule NA.
    they went "all in" on that, probably with the confidence that whatever points are lost in MLS at the beginning can be made up later on.

our (ie. Canadian teams in MLS) situation is even more unique in the sense that it is the V's Cup that gets us in the CCL, nothing from the MLS season.

besides, even some teams in Europe prioritize the CL/EL if needed.....see Man Utd. last year.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ball moved on Bradley after he placed it.

That stadium was shaking.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, lost in all of the ups and downs of this tournament is the fact that we do get a small consolation prize in that Champeons Cup in September. Won't feel the same but another chance to silence the Mexican detractors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting fan view of the penalties, from behind the goal.

https://streamable.com/emfq6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which cup is this, links?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/0...rk-partnership