Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man what a way to end it, crap. What can I say that hasn't been said already. Just one thing that really I wonder about: on a team that struggles with penalty kicks, why do so many of our players attempt to go high? With Giovinco I can understand: he had to change his PK plan after he ran into trouble in his favourite bottom left corner, and I think he's reliable enough (as you can see on his free kicks) to go high. With the others, I don't get it. Going high is much harder. A hard side foot into a bottom corner is much easier to hit, and hard for the keeper to stop.

I can't believe how well they did with all our injury trouble. Amazing we had no healthy centrebacks. This tweet was spot on and makes me laugh/cry knowing the end result:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    I hate when people say they are proud. We lost. You should never be proud of a loss. We where the better team and lost.... now we have nothing else to play for
    What next ?
    What's next?

What's next is getting back to the CCL. To that end, MLS Cup and Supporters Shield are irrelevant. Just beat Ottawa and one of either Vancouver or Montreal and they're back in it. And with the placement of Toronto this year and Montreal in 2015, Canada has just about guaranteed themselves a top 3 seeding for 2019. Then they go on a run to the final, with a full squad, and win the whole damn thing next year. That's going to be their new mission.

As for MLS, I don't think it's a stretch to think that they can win out the rest of the season with only another loss or two and still win the Supporter's Shield. But even if they don't, I can't see them not making the playoffs with even the number of injured players they have. And with the level of opponents they've been playing against in CCL, a lot of MLS teams aren't going to be able to play in that gear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to put into words last nights feelings, but the one that stays with me rage and that this tournament is so beneath us. We are an infinitely better team than Chivas.

The champions league in Europe is the pinnacle of world football. The champions league in North and Central America is a place where the golden ball winner can get punched in front of the referee in the championship game, with no discipline.

I wanna win the Canadian Championship every year. I really don't care if we play in that hodgepodge of crap ever again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soldiers shouldn't be praised when they loose wars and a team shouldnt be praised when they lose. Face it we lost...
    oh word? We lost? hot take.

We're a group named after actual soldiers and people don't take kindly to this kind of shoddy crap. I hope you are never in a position to influence anyone in sports with this train of thought.

Carter is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Did you really just compare CCL football to war? It is obvious you’ve never served, because yes, people are proud after a war, loss or not, why are those people proud? Because they had the courage/bravery/strength of character to stand up and fight for something, protect something.. and yes their families are proud too, Because they came home(when they do, god rest the souls of those who don’t), some lived to fight another day, they are proud that the have members in their family with the fortitude to do something as fearless as putting their life at risk, protecting rights of the citizens of their countries and your right to be an internet keyboard warrior.

oh and I know we lost, the tie in penalties, big deal, doesn’t mean I can’t praise and be proud of my team for the tremendous effort they put in and what they left there on the field in Mexico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perspective would be the word.

Five years ago we we're hoping that Luke Moore and Jermaine Defoe could win a game against DC United (no offence lol)

Now we are hurt/fuming over losing on penalties to Chivas Guadalajara, after knocking out Club America and Tigres!!!

The series had mistakes that cost us and plays that saved us. It literally balanced out. These guys had a short offseason after giving everything in 2017, played on different fields, in different time zones, different climates, long travel to get to this point. Against teams that had World Cup vets and World Cup prospects. They gave physically and mentally their all.

We might have fell short of that world recognition but we are now looked at as a respectable club in CONCACAF, maybe more than any MLS team ever and I'm sure the Mexican media will say as much today.

Thankful for the fun journey and hope it can continue in the league!

All for one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well written, I’m still heartbroken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    When has Hamilton ever done anything good for this team?
    In fairness, you need minutes to do something for the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to be realistic about who we are. All these elite MX teams outspend us by a wide margin, and have vastly larger development systems.

Our victories against Tigres and America were the greatest football accomplishment in club history. Only so many rabbits in the hat.

The seeding of the Canadian team will always hurt us in CCL. Chivas had a much, much easier path.

I congratulate Chivas, who, overall, were good footballers and sportsmen, and played us even. I don’t think we got “Concacaf’d” here.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blkndkr View Post
    This is the dumbest comment I’ve ever read on this forum. And that’s saying a lot.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Some people need a reality check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...-except-win-it

Post-game reaction from the MLS website crew.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading some of these comments makes me wonder whether I just got out of a time machine and we just lost our 9th game as the "worst team in the world".

We just lost (marginally) in the North American Championship final.

Have some people turned into those types of (hate to say it) Man Utd fans who think the world is falling if they are 2nd in the Premiership one season? Oh what a travesty!

We absolutely should be proud of our team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soldiers shouldn't be praised when they loose wars and a team shouldnt be praised when they lose. Face it we lost...
    Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Reading some of these comments makes me wonder whether I just got out of a time machine and we just lost our 9th game as the "worst team in the world".

We just lost (marginally) in the North American Championship final.

Have some people turned into those types of (hate to say it) Man Utd fans who think the world is falling if they are 2nd in the Premiership one season? Oh what a travesty!

We absolutely should be proud of our team.
    We can't be. Because soldiers. Or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not on Oso for hitting the bar first? The loss isn’t on Vanney, he won the technical game, he out coached them in their house, 2-1. we suck at penalties, have always sucked, it is what it is. You could blame Bono for going the wrong way on 3 of the 4 kicks as well, but it’s his Birthdyay, so he gets a pass right?

Delgado missed 2 sitters in the final tie, one in the first game in Toronto and that beaut setup from Gio, anyone else would have buried that.. if he had sunk either of those balls, we’d be having a completely different conversation
    Oso hit the bar at least and isn't paid millions for his skill as a player.

And had they team spent time actually practising and preparing for a possible shoot out Oso may not have hit the bar, Delgado may not have missed his chances.

Had they came out expecting that Chivas was going to play one of two ways in Toronto, Highly defensive.. which Toronto has shown it can break down... or high press... which TFC has shown it can have issues with, Vanney assumed and seems to have prepared sololy for the defensive Chivas not the heavy attack.

So Toronto screwed up in front of 29,000 people in Toronto lost at Home and then didn't do enough to actually win the cup. In the End that is on the preparation and the way the team prepares is on one man. A man who has regularly failed to prepare against opponents generally considered "inferior". Toronto losses to the underdog too often... that is on the team mentality and on the preparation for those games. Again something that is on one person. It has been one of my many issues with the man for years. It is great we got there. It is great we did it in a way that no other team has ever done... and with luck we will be back there next year with that damn trophy... but... We dropped 12 points in the league to not do enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this Team
    I hate that we lost
    I Love that we focus now on MLS Season
    I hate that we lost
    I LOve that we can support for another MLS CUP run
    I hate that we lost
    I LOVE this TEAM

#ForeverRed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm honestly not that gutted. Similar feeling to Seattle loss. We can win this and we will win this.

Plus, we now know TFC can go down to Mexico and win games. MLS teams have never been feared or respected until now. We changed the freakin game on this continent.

I'm excited to see Morgan and Hasler get out there more often, I know Delgado is going to work on his game. We have a new Osorio and eventually 2 amazing versatile CBs when healthy. VV will be in season 2!

You know Bono is going to work on his passing game

We just need to pick up a striker to give Jozy and Gio some rest.

GV is still a young coach who will only get better with experiences like this.

Real only downside is that I don't think aketxe is going to work out, but GV might turn him into a superstar yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Keep in mind we are 5-2-6 right now in all competitions. And have had our worse starts since 2015 (which was all road games)

Fans are mad because we are proud of the team and we lost something we SHOULD have won. Something that if prepared properly we could have won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would've been nice to see morrow victor and jozy get a chance from the spot .....

we lost. in a coin flip format. replay those kicks today and maybe we win. its called sports.
    its not on vanney, bono, oso, or Bradley. those four are arguably the reason we got there.

calm down.

you think liga mx gives an ef if we beat Colorado or Houston?
    win or lose, we made a name for TFC and MLS.

things are changing in concacaf, and we just watched it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Oso hit the bar at least and isn't paid millions for his skill as a player.

And had they team spent time actually practising and preparing for a possible shoot out Oso may not have hit the bar, Delgado may not have missed his chances.

Had they came out expecting that Chivas was going to play one of two ways in Toronto, Highly defensive.. which Toronto has shown it can break down... or high press... which TFC has shown it can have issues with, Vanney assumed and seems to have prepared sololy for the defensive Chivas not the heavy attack.

So Toronto screwed up in front of 29,000 people in Toronto lost at Home and then didn't do enough to actually win the cup. In the End that is on the preparation and the way the team prepares is on one man. A man who has regularly failed to prepare against opponents generally considered "inferior". Toronto losses to the underdog too often... that is on the team mentality and on the preparation for those games. Again something that is on one person. It has been one of my many issues with the man for years. It is great we got there. It is great we did it in a way that no other team has ever done... and with luck we will be back there next year with that damn trophy... but... We dropped 12 points in the league to not do enough.
    he leaned back when he hit the ball man, a mistake, which he made not Vanney.. you need to get your head out of the sand and stop blaming one person, specifically a person who isn’t in control of a player when they step up to take a penalty.

The game is a game with 11 players on the pitch and how they preform for those 90 minutes, you can’t blame Vanney for Jozy spending 5 minutes puking on the pitch and not coming up big when we needed him to. You can’t blame Vanney for the cluster of a mess in the first 2 minutes of the game in Toronto, it’s not a video game he doesn’t control the players once they are on the pitch. Sure he provided the tactics but people make mistakes, welcome to being human bud.

Yeah we lost in Toronto, but came back and won in one of the most hostile environments in the football world. If we had won the game your tune would be completely different and would be calling Vanney a genius.

People need to stop finding a scapegoat / someone to blame and accept we lost, on PKs. Personally I believe a game with all the marbles on the line should not be decided directly on PKs they should have played extra time. But welcome to CONCACAF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol when our best player can't convert PKs regularly you know this wasn't gonna be our game. Pretty unacceptable for our Captain to not know how to take a spot kick either.

That said tho, we did much better than any of us would have ever though. We over achieved and that made yesterday's loss sting harder - because we believed so much.

It was a good run boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he leaned back when he hit the ball man, a mistake, which he made not Vanney.. you need to get your head out of the sand and stop blaming one person, specifically a person who isn’t in control of a player when they step up to take a penalty.
    Oh you mean he leaned back when he hit the ball.. something practice would have helped to improve form and muscle memory to avoid making that kind of mistake? And who determines what is and isn't practised and leads and directs those practices, makes the tactical decisions, and decides how to train and prepare the team? Those Tactical decisions made before they went on to the field, the mental preparation instilled in the players, and the decision not to give enough practice to ensure good muscle memory for free kicks all falls on the shoulder of one person. Not 11. The 11 people don't dictate what gets trained, what tactical formation they play, who starts on the pitch, if a person with a significant stomach bug leaving them vomiting on the pitch should or shouldn't play. One person decided is penalty kicks is something that should or shouldn't be practiced. One person decided if they should or should be prepared for a high press.

Twice this team went out against a team they expected to sit back and were surprised when they attacked. They shouldn't have been either time. This time it cost them. Again that is on one person, the person training them, the person deciding the formations, preparing their mentality and coaching them. The team has the ability.. but their coach says one thing to the media but clearly under prepares for teams that they feel are easy.. as we time and time again get burned by sides we think will be easy to beat. You can't blame the 11 on the pitch when they got passed harder teams to play and then fall to lesser sides. They weren't prepared. It is as simple as that. One person is Ultimately responsible for preparing them.

Get out of the Vanney is a God thinking you have all been in for years and open your friggin eyes. Three times we have gone to a final were PKs were a possible outcome, two of those three times it was, both times we have lost due to players seemingly not having had any practice taking them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh you mean he leaned back when he hit the ball.. something practice would have helped to improve form and muscle memory to avoid making that kind of mistake? And who determines what is and isn't practised and leads and directs those practices, makes the tactical decisions, and decides how to train and prepare the team? Those Tactical decisions made before they went on to the field, the mental preparation instilled in the players, and the decision not to give enough practice to ensure good muscle memory for free kicks all falls on the shoulder of one person. Not 11. The 11 people don't dictate what gets trained, what tactical formation they play, who starts on the pitch, if a person with a significant stomach bug leaving them vomiting on the pitch should or shouldn't play. One person decided is penalty kicks is something that should or shouldn't be practiced. One person decided if they should or should be prepared for a high press.

Twice this team went out against a team they expected to sit back and were surprised when they attacked. They shouldn't have been either time. This time it cost them. Again that is on one person, the person training them, the person deciding the formations, preparing their mentality and coaching them. The team has the ability.. but their coach says one thing to the media but clearly under prepares for teams that they feel are easy.. as we time and time again get burned by sides we think will be easy to beat. You can't blame the 11 on the pitch when they got passed harder teams to play and then fall to lesser sides. They weren't prepared. It is as simple as that. One person is Ultimately responsible for preparing them.

Get out of the Vanney is a God thinking you have all been in for years and open your friggin eyes. Three times we have gone to a final were PKs were a possible outcome, two of those three times it was, both times we have lost due to players seemingly not having had any practice taking them.
    Not sure if you're intentionally trolling. These comments are too over the top to take seriously. But, not sure why you would think they never practice penalties. Of course they do. Problem is practicing does little for actually doing it for real. You can't simulate the pressure of taking a penalty in a Cup final in practice. Would be interesting to know if they did any mental/sport psychology though. That's actually something that would have an effect. At any rate, hard to fault Vanney for preparation, of all things. They went above and beyond what most would do prep-wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind we are 5-2-6 right now in all competitions. And have had our worse starts since 2015 (which was all road games)

Fans are mad because we are proud of the team and we lost something we SHOULD have won. Something that if prepared properly we could have won.
    also keep in mind that after the first 7 games of our "best team ever" MLS season last year, we had 7 points.....

right now we have 3 from 5 games.....1 win + 1 tie in the next 2 will give......7 points from 7 games....voila.....

we were also a shootout away from being the best team in the Confederation, in a tournament that this version of TFC has NEVER played in....and ravaged by injuries in the process....

I don't know very many who are straight up mad at the team at all.....disappointed that they didn't win, but no anger at the team....

perspective.....its good to have sometimes.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reality is 85% of the teams in MLS are pretty poor. We'll still make the playoffs despite the start. I for one am not looking forward to having to watch the quality again after getting the treat of watching us play the Mexican teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The reality is 85% of the teams in MLS are pretty poor. We'll still make the playoffs despite the start. I for one am not looking forward to having to watch the quality again after getting the treat of watching us play the Mexican teams.
    Next two games at home are against Chicago & Philly - two of the weakest teams in the league. We should win those but Saturday is going to be ugly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is one thing to practice penalties. It is another thing to take them in a screaming, shaking, jet engine of noise.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It is one thing to practice penalties. It is another thing to take them in a screaming, shaking, jet engine of noise.
    I can only imagine what it would be like if full - they said attendance was only 37K.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I can only imagine what it would be like if full - they said attendance was only 37K.
    That's weird. It was totally full, 50,000 strong. Anyone there will tell you. I'm sure some supporters video will get posted soon, you'll see it then. There were a bunch of rows in a prawn sandwich section right in the center lower bowl that were empty for some reason. But that's it. It was a total Lions Den.

Tickets were a major issue, the supporters chat room was full of anguished discussion on that (it all got sorted in the end). There were epic lines at the ticket office Monday, people spent all day out there.

There was nothing on the secondary market that wasn’t USD$200+. (Better seats were double that.)

There was a major Chivas expat thing - a lot of people from Southern California flew in, my hotel had a bunch of them.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-26-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets not only blame the shooters.but our keepers have not exactly been stellar over the years on pks other then one that went under his hand,bono went the wrong way on all the others,great run by the team,i will miss that intense free flowing futbol v the mexican teams.back to the hacka shaq mls grind it out midfield play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    lets not only blame the shooters.but our keepers have not exactly been stellar over the years on pks other then one that went under his hand,bono went the wrong way on all the others,great run by the team,i will miss that intense free flowing futbol v the mexican teams.back to the hacka shaq mls grind it out midfield play.
    Except for that first one, the rest of their pks looked unstoppable to me. They were pretty stellar in that area tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still gutted, but so proud of this team. To win the game in such a hostile environment with a decimated lineup due to injuries is a hell of an accomplishment.

I think the CCL format sucks. There should have been 30 minutes of extra time as opposed to going directly to PKs. Terrible way to decide the tournament after such an exciting match.