Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leg 2 Tactics thread... Chivas man marking

Having watched last nights game I wanted to ask the people who have more experience with tactics on here how they would attack Chivas. It seemed to be chaos in there own end... what changes do the Reds need to make to push for 2 goals. I noticed the middle was open quite a few times. I get its a man marking situation straight up but what is going on when they are forced to defend in there own half and on corners Do you try if your Vanney to try and drag them out of there own box by trying to send the ball more middle to open up spaces on the left and right hand side maybe overload an extra forward there. Not sure how to attack it. There is a lot of space there but it somehow works for them... I am always interested in the tactical adjustments coaches make but this one I am not understanding other then using the middle what to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should have our CB's bomb forward especially if VDW is playing there. I remember an instance where Moor went right up into the box unchallenged, somehow we got to take advantage of a situation like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We started to see flashes on it later the game when all the space was opening up for Moor to dive bomb in. The downside of their man marking is that we can use that to our advantage to drag away their defenders and open up space. Often times they were smart about this and stuck to their zones, but occasionally it was working and that's when we saw the space for VdW and Moor.

I think maybe that this might be why Vanney put on Aketxe .. thinking that he could take advantage of the open lines and use his strong boot. But that opportunity never seemed to present itself to him. Chivas players were working hard, so full credit to them.
    Last edited by wopchop; 04-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A back 3 ended up with us having one less player to go forward - that's why the switch Vanney made to what was in essence a 4-1-3-2.

Which leads me to a thought - I'd like to see Chivas attempt to deal with Justin Morrow coming out from the LCB position in a back 4.

Hell, I'd like to see teams in the MLS in general deal with a decent passer and proven goal scorer coming out from the back two while the LB rotates over to cover. It would blow apart a heck of lot of midfields.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are at halftime of a game where we outchanced them 8-4, while having to be super careful about aggressiveness. The second half is played on a better pitch, and we can go back to putting in challenges for 50/50 balls.

I think they're the ones with the adjustments to make. I wouldn't really change a thing, other than maybe starting Morrow. I think Mavinga on the trot can do more than Moor, so I hope we see that next Wednesday.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    We started to see flashes on it later the game when all the space was opening up for Moor to dive bomb in. The downside of their man marking is that we can use that to our advantage to drag away their defenders and open up space. Often times they were smart about this and stuck to their zones, but occasionally it was working and that's when we saw the space for VdW and Moor.

I think maybe that this might be why Vanney put on Aketxe .. thinking that he could take advantage of the open lines and use his strong boot. But that opportunity never seemed to present itself to him. Chivas players were working hard, so full credit to them.
    I was thinking this too, we finally have someone on our team that can take shots from far. Might need to revisit him as an option in the second leg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I was thinking this too, we finally have someone on our team that can take shots from far. Might need to revisit him as an option in the second leg.
    Problem with Aketxe is that he hasn't melded with the team yet. He has not shown much of any defensive awareness or ability to strip the other team however he does have a cannon of a left foot.

I wouldn't mind seeing TFC switch to the diamond with auro and/or morrow bombing down the wings for extra width. This would potentially allow Aketxe to play in the Vazquez role and keep Oso and Delgado in the lineup still to strip the other team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All really good responses If our guys can get a goal within the first 30 min they will be forced to try and hang on in fact the amount of time waisting in the match is really going to be hard for us to watch. Thats the frustrating thing with sports like Soccer and Hockey (Leafs tonight) Is teams can literally kill the clock and in soccer watching a team fake injuries for 90 min doesn't sound too appealing... I call 3 maybe four stretchers within the game....