Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Amazing game. Love that Morgan scored that goal. That was the best moment. I honestly wish we could play Mexican teams more often. The games are far better - watching that really just shows the bottom 1/2 to 2/3 of MLS is still so far behind the top teams. We'd be a much better team if we played to this level game in and game out.
    100% agree with this. I wish there was a way that we could take the top 12-16 teams and make them play each other and let the bottom 12-16 teams play each other. Can't really think of a way though. There are team that are ready to spend big & there are others that want 2-3 million salary cap.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Really? I thought they they kept the scoreline respectable.
    That was my take on it as well. I thought they did quite well breaking up a lot of our give and go's and one touch passes in the final third. I was surprised how big and strong they were.

I agree with someone earlier that Tigres seemed to be more threatening going forward though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    100% agree with this. I wish there was a way that we could take the top 12-16 teams and make them play each other and let the bottom 12-16 teams play each other. Can't really think of a way though. There are team that are ready to spend big & there are others that want 2-3 million salary cap.
    if the champions league grows in popularity, teh eventually it'll will grow in game volume and this will happen.

weather is a big factor though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the elements played a part in last night's game. They will be much more difficult to handle on their own pitch.

Nonetheless, full credit to TFC for a masterful performance last night.
    We'll see. I didn’t see the same level of attacking flair in the final third that Tigres showed. I thought Tigres misfired a lot against us, we were just very lucky against them, but that we actually handled America on attack.

Peralta in particular was invisible. I have vivid memories of him tearing us apart at Santos Laguna. He is not that player anymore. (Of course, we are not that team anymore!)

We'll know more when we see Quintero in Minnesota, but if they sold him for $200K because they think Dominguez and Peralta and this Martin guy are the answer, that seems dumb to me.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-04-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We'll see. I didn’t see the same level of attacking flair in the final third that Tigres showed. I thought Tigres misfired a bunch of times against us, but that we actually handled these guys on attack.
    and mavinga out there shuts down those few dribble throughs down the middle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the elements played a part in last night's game. They will be much more difficult to handle on their own pitch.

Nonetheless, full credit to TFC for a masterful performance last night.
    Giovinco in his post match comment said that the pitch was terrible and that made it more difficult for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    TSN needs some borrow from the MLS model and bring in some DP announcers.
    lol
    I also detest Caldwell. He’s just a less whiny but equally negative version of DeVos.

luke wileman Deserves credit though. He’s legitimately great at what he does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Was the fight between two rival fans? The only thing that upset me was in my section a Club America fan celebrated the Club America goal by turning around and taunting the rest of us TFC fans behind him after their goal, you don’t do that when your in someone else’s stadium, you celebrate yes but you don’t turn around and taunt everyone else around you, try doing that in their stadium and you will probably get smacked.
    Yes exact same scenario, two CA fans in 115, not sure what was the specific trigger but after Ashtone scored one of them got into it with the TFC regular in front, few haymakers thrown and pushing etc but we broke it up and cops and security moved the CA fans out and allowed the TFC boys back to their seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I also detest Caldwell. He’s just a less whiny but equally negative version of DeVos.

it upsets me to say it because I've met him and he seems a great guy and said very complimentary things about my other team who he played for but he really is not very good as a colour commentator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring back "mAKE THAT THE FINAL" Vic Rauter I do agree Luke Willeman does do a good job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Kingsriver View Post
    Yes exact same scenario, two CA fans in 115, not sure what was the specific trigger but after Ashtone scored one of them got into it with the TFC regular in front, few haymakers thrown and pushing etc but we broke it up and cops and security moved the CA fans out and allowed the TFC boys back to their seats.
    So that’s what it was, we thought some CA fans would be involved (I’m in 116). Good on you to help break it up and it sounds like security were on point.
    Last edited by pfk; 04-04-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: words

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's so much to say about that game; but no time now. Amazing overall.

Just one thing now: is there any rule about mass confrontations in CCL or more generally in FIFA? Here are seven CA players completely swarming & surrounding the ref after the PK call (two of them are hidden).

I actually thought many of the individual players were OK: I also some some decent sportsmanship, and not too much crappy play overall. But clearly their coaching staff sets an awful example, and promotes all kinds of ridiculous behaviour. (Tigres MUCH classier overall.)

There were many Liga MX fans in my area again last night; but again only a few of them were CA fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    I'm impressed we beat out the Blue Jays Attendance in that shitty weather
    Blue Jays attendance: 17,451
    TFC attendance: 23,463

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it upsets me to say it because I've met him and he seems a great guy and said very complimentary things about my other team who he played for but he really is not very good as a colour commentator.
    I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Wileman either.
    He over-describes the play and his voice is a bit abrasive.
    I like smooth voices, like a Buck Martinez type (does he know anything about soccer? lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone else shocked terry dunfield has as many goals as giovinco?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Wileman either.
    He over-describes the play and his voice is a bit abrasive.
    I like smooth voices, like a Buck Martinez type (does he know anything about soccer? lol)
    I think Wileman is pretty great, my only gripe with him is I wish he would let the big moments breath just a little bit. Just like 10 seconds to hear the crowd roar and see the players celebrate before punctuating the moment with the call would go a long way. But he still delivers great calls IMO so I'm nitpicking.

I will still take him and Caldwell over the other duos we've seen. DeVos was overly critical of TFC, I guess in a bid to appear unbiased, but he went too far with it. Anyone remember when Thomas Rongen had some cameos as the colour guy? I still remember him saying "thank you for shopping at Koevermans!" after a Danny K goal... lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Giovinco in his post match comment said that the pitch was terrible and that made it more difficult for TFC.
    For sure, but our guys are used to it on occasion, so I think it gave us a bit of an edge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still pumped from last night. I want to go to another TFC game tonight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was the single best game TFC has ever played.
    And we keep saying it.

Fuck we are spoiled right now.

All the heart ache has turned into delight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    Classic managing strategy.
    Walked into a game where he was on record saying the team couldn't compete with his.
    Got to half time where the team was not only competing but outplaying.
    His history shows this might be one of his........ cough...... strategies
    Headlines comment on the brouhaha, not his teams play, and ensure a particularly hostile crowd for the return leg

This.

It's a completely cynical Donald Trump move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh god I am so glad that Devos doesn't comment anymore... what a whiny little bitch.

It fucking hurt to listen. I'd mute the commentary for sanity's sake.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to throw Caldwell some shine, given the level of vitriol here.

He's nothing like deVos, who really was repetitive, uninsightful, and seemingly did have an anti-TFC ax to grind.

Caldwell knows the game. If he thought Gio's PK wasn’t earned, folks, that's what 75% of neutrals thought. He's more often right than wrong (although he memorably did not get it right when Fisher nearly killed Beitashour last year, which I think is maybe the source of his trouble here)

I also just like his scottish accent.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's nothing like deVos, who really was repetitive, uninsightful, and seemingly did have an anti-TFC ax to grind.

Caldwell knows the game. If he thought Gio's PK wasn’t earned, folks, that's what 75% of neutrals thought. He's more often right than wrong (although he memorably did not get it right when Fisher nearly killed Beitashour last year, which I think is maybe the source of his trouble here)

Ok. So he's moderately better than DeVos but with cute accent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was 2 rows in front of this. As soon as Morgan scored the guys behind me dominoed into my row from what I can only speculate was a push from behind 2 rows back where the CA fans were seated. When they turned around the tfc fan was being held back first and i saw the CA fan get a clean shot that landed on the tfc fans temple. It's a good thing for the CA fans that so many people helped break it up, because the tfc fan that got pushed and hit is as wide as he is tall, and if he got to throw one the CA fan was going to get dropped hard. In hindsight probably best, because that's why he was allowed back, without connecting a punch back. It did all go down very fast.
    Last edited by InDa_110; 04-04-2018 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They definitely don't have the same attacking prowess of Tigres. Tigres just swarm in waves and it seemed relentless, home and away. Plus they were bigger and competed in the air. On paper America is the stronger defensive unit but I don't see it. I watched the past few of their Liga MX matches and the backline makes a lot of errors, not unlike the ones Bono & Zavaleta did a few times last night. I know the table doesn't reflect it but for me Tigres is a much better put together squad.
    I dunno. America worked really hard from the kick off and we’re a tad unlucky not to go in at half time 1-1. The forwards worked th3ir butts off and eff3ctovely - Bradley was surrounded anD struggled. But their system is weak if you break the press. So not sure it’s the defence, or the system, that bends if we break. For me, the players worked hard but we took advantage of the systemic weaknesses.

Also. No class about whining etc. Stupid because with self discipline it’s 3-2 or even 3-3. That’s on the coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see a montage of the sheer number of one touch passing combos we executed flawlessly in this game. A lot along the touch line, or otherwise in a phone booth. It would take a while to get through them all.

We are just better than Club America.
    we wer3 fantastic and it was a magnificent win. But a closely run thing. First half, they completely overran our midfield. I lost count of the number of times Bradley lost the ball. Let’s not underestimate what a good, hardworking team they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco and Altidore are unstoppable. They have a ridiculous record of coming through in big games. Just astonishing. Every team spends all week working on a gameplan to try to deal with them. It mostly doesn't work.

Both have an edge to their game - Gio with the whining/flopping, Altidore because almost every ball to him involves meaningful physical contact, usually a foul by somebody.

Both also have the same achilles heel - their temper. Both can be goaded into cards.

So.... Presto! Teams are getting in their faces. Hard. This is a very deliberate strategy that is only going to increase. NYRB came thisclose to pulling it off.

—————————————

I am fine acknowledging that the Giovinco PK was a 50/50 call and that he helped it along. Those are both true. This is elite world football, it's pretty common, like it or lump it, and for once in my life I have a big slice of “Italia” on my side.
    fantastic post. Great stuff this spring Ensco, you are on fire.

live, I 5hought Gio flopped. On the replay, for me, clear pen. Maybe h3 helped it along but defender slide tackling in the box and getting the trailing leg of the player who has gone around him? PK all day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with you Ensco. He was our RPB player of the year not so long ago. Let’s give him some leeway, eh?
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-04-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just need to know if Caldwell is Rangers or Celtic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting read on mlssoccer.com

Wait, you were surprised that Toronto FC were able to beat Club América 3-1 on Tuesday night?

Not sure why that is, considering Toronto are an all-time great MLS team coming off the first treble in league history. They knocked off the team that has won three of the last five Liguillas in the quarterfinals (Tigres UANL). The only thing that was somewhat surprising is that they were able to win despite missing three of their starters (Chris Mavinga, Justin Morrow, Victor Vazquez).