Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CCL Semis First Leg - America @ TFC Tue April 3 8pm Give Me This Night

or

for those who prefer the original

The night is very cold
    Keep me warm In your arms

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait for this game.... hoping to freeze my ass off & a 2-0 result for the good guys

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be horrible that night based on forecast.

Cold, rain, mud... WW1 trench warfare type conditions.

Should be great!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Could be horrible that night based on forecast.

Cold, rain, mud... WW1 trench warfare type conditions.

Should be great!

The grounds crew is going to be working overtime even more this season

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That pitch is a mess, it's supposed to rain Tuesday. Mexican teams rely on team speed. I think maybe we should have a different groundskeeping philosophy for this game only.

Can we schedule a tractor pull or something between now and Tuesday?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injury updates? Starting line-up predictions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whositwhatnow View Post
    The grounds crew is going to be working overtime even more this season
    I'm wondering if we should leave the undersoil heating off during the game. A cold, somewhat hard pitch seems better than a mud pit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Six posts with 36 hours to go?

The Santos Laguna pregame thread in 2012 was 23 pages.
    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=santos+laguna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That pitch is a mess, it's supposed to rain Tuesday. Mexican teams rely on team speed. I think maybe we should have a different groundskeeping philosophy for this game only.

Can we schedule a tractor pull or something between now and Tuesday?
    I normally agree with your posts, but this one is a bit off imo....TFC relies on short passes and keeping the ball on the deck. So from that angle, a shitty field will hurt us a lot....shame too because we need a result tomorrow.

The weather will bring the quality down if it is as bad as predicted....mistakes might be the difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I normally agree with your posts, but this one is a bit off imo....TFC relies on short passes and keeping the ball on the deck. So from that angle, a shitty field will hurt us a lot....shame too because we need a result tomorrow.

The weather will bring the quality down if it is as bad as predicted....mistakes might be the difference.
    You may be right, this isn't obvious. Also I am kind of kidding, they will do their best, the turf will be what it will be.

I am assuming that, like Tigres, any better Mexican team moves the ball around better than us, and has more team speed, but that we have more players (especially Bradley and Altidore) that just know how to muck it out in cold, frustrating, miserable conditions.

I am certainly pleased about the cold. We have played a TON of big games in the cold now, it's a huge edge. Tigres absolutely tailed off in the second half here, I think it got to them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am certainly pleased about the cold. We have played a TON of big games in the cold now, it's a huge edge. Tigres absolutely tailed off in the second half here, I think it got to them.
    Very important point. I feel like our ability to nab a couple goals between 75-90+ might make the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may be right, this isn't obvious. Also I am kind of kidding, they will do their best, the turf will be what it will be.
    Definitely not....our style of play is as close to our Mexican counterparts more so that any other MLS team imo....

I am assuming that, like Tigres, any better Mexican team moves the ball around better than us, and has more team speed, but that we have more players (especially Bradley and Altidore) that just know how to muck it out in cold, frustrating, miserable conditions.
    Fair enough, but it also seems that our BEST player, Giovinco, doesn't have his best games in temps like these....and we'll need a monster out of him tomorrow.
    Could be, but I thought Tigres actually had a better 2nd half, than 1st....it looked especially dangerous when Ginac came on imo.....but to me games like this with 2 fairly even teams often come down to intangibles....could be weather, or could be that "moment of brilliance" from a player...we'll see...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One comment from a Club America fan "we can beat Toronto, those Canadians don't even have their own league". Haha. Made me laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm crossing my fingers that Morrow is going to be good to go:

-------------------Bono----------------------
    ----Hagglung--Moor---Mavinga--------
    VDW-----------------------------Morrow--
    ------Delgado------Bradley-----------
    ----------_Vasquez-------------------
    ------Giovinco----Altidore-----------

Thoughts?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Six posts with 36 hours to go?

The Santos Laguna pregame thread in 2012 was 23 pages.
    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=santos+laguna
    The majority of TFC discussion has moved to other platforms: instagram, facebook, and twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope everyone is healthy and we can start the same team as we did against Tigres as that is our best line up at the moment... TFC can deal with shitty weather as they have played many big games in it we can beat Club America

TFC 3-1 with goals from Altidore, Vasquez and Seba in that order.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    The majority of TFC discussion has moved to other platforms: instagram, facebook, and twitter.
    Anytime I go on those platforms, all I find worth reading is news stories. The comments are mostly hopeless. Maybe I don’t know where to look...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People under 55 go on Facebook?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anytime I go on those platforms, all I find worth reading is news stories. The comments are mostly hopeless. Maybe I don’t know where to look...

The Discussion Board seems to have died a death in general - which is a shame really. FB and Twitter aren't anywhere as good in quality...not that some of the posts on here aren't pish - but is nearly impossible to have a decent chat on those platforms. Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all... I will unfortunately be in Montreal tomorrow night on business and will need to find a bar to watch the game at. Anyone know a good sports bar in the Griffintown area? I will be relatively close to the Bell Centre so I imagine I can find a spot around there that will show the match but I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, for what it's worth, a friend of mine flew home to Toronto from Mexico City over the weekend and the Club America players were on his flight. Sounds like they're a bunch of seat-kicking, video game-playing juveniles with a bad attitude. It's funny they flew Economy on a commercial flight, too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My girlfriend was at the Club America game on Saturday night vs Cruz Azul. Sounded to me like it wasn't the toughest match for CA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeRo2015 View Post
    My girlfriend was at the Club America game on Saturday night vs Cruz Azul. Sounded to me like it wasn't the toughest match for CA.
    Based on the highlights only, looks like America was lucky to get the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBkC...feature=onebox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can always go to McLeans pub on peel st, which is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Bell Centre. They are very TFC friendly there - upstairs bar you can ask them for the TFC game to be put on, and they should be able to take care of you. That place was full of TFC fans pre-game before heading out to Olympic stadium. If Vanessa is bartending upstairs, tell her Ron from Toronto sent you

Quote Originally Posted by surtandoom View Post
    Hey all... I will unfortunately be in Montreal tomorrow night on business and will need to find a bar to watch the game at. Anyone know a good sports bar in the Griffintown area? I will be relatively close to the Bell Centre so I imagine I can find a spot around there that will show the match but I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I'm crossing my fingers that Morrow is going to be good to go:

-------------------Bono----------------------
    ----Hagglung--Moor---Mavinga--------
    VDW-----------------------------Morrow--
    ------Delgado------Bradley-----------
    ----------_Vasquez-------------------
    ------Giovinco----Altidore-----------

Thoughts?
    I would play VDW instead of Hagglund and put Auro in. That was a combo that worked well on Friday against RSL. Otherwise I think that looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per Vanney, Morrow, Vazquez & Mavinga all took part in training today, sounds like they should be in the mix for selection. But Hagglund is out 6 weeks with a hamstring injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post
    I would play VDW instead of Hagglund and put Auro in. That was a combo that worked well on Friday against RSL. Otherwise I think that looks good.
    I think at home we should have Oso out on the pitch over Delgado, besides Oso's been playing out of his skin lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think at home we should have Oso out on the pitch over Delgado, besides Oso's been playing out of his skin lately.
    But but but ... workrate!

In all seriousness, your suggestion is a no brainer. Delgado was not sharp on Friday, and to my eye most of his work effort was expended in making up for his own giveaways. I like Osorio much more in the formation, especially on current form.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough news re Hagglund. He is a little snakebit.

If I am Vanney:

We needed 4 goals against Tigres, expect we'll need at least three here, which means we need 2-3 tomorrow night ...

We need goals goals goals, and to win the game at BMO. Having the lead going back to Monterrey was massive.

I want Delgado and Oso both on the field. In no universe should Zavaleta play instead of either Delgado and Osorio, when we need goals.

I think it's obvious that we go with the Seattle/Tigres 4-4-2. Teams cannot hold us for 180 minutes when we have that 4-4-2 lineup out there. In the 4-4-2, we wear teams out, all six of our goals in the Seattle/Tigres games were in the second half (same thing happened against Columbus btw, but we couldn't cash about five glorious chances).

If one of Morrow or Mavinga can't go 90, Auro comes in (and vdW plays CB if it's Mavinga who goes off).

We will see both Hasler and Aketxe. If we have less than two goals after 60 minutes, I expect Aketxe to come in at 60 minutes.

Hasler's role depends more on how VV feels. If Vazquez can only give 45 minutes, I start Hasler and bring VV on at halftime - assuming Hasler remains ahead of Aketxe in the depth chart (I think Aketxe is the more dangerous scoring threat, but he clearly hasn't shown enough yet playing defense).

One thing I like about having Hasler out there in the 4-4-2 formation is that he is effective wide, he is kind of a libero out there which causes marking problems....which lets Delgado play more beside Bradley... which means Bradley can roam forward a bit.

Hasler can also easily push up to striker, he was doing quite a bit of this in the Montreal game. I could see Vanney playing Hasler over Delgado in the second half, all else being equal, just as a way to push forward.

The second half of tomorrow nights game will determine the outcome of the tie.

Prediction: With Hasler playing wide, Michael Bradley will score a big goal tomorrow.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-02-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley is due a goal. Coincidentally his last goal for club or country was at the Azteca