Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Zlatan x2, LAFC give up 4 straight and lose 4-3 in the first ever LA Derby (forget about Chivas)
    L.A. Derby 2.0. Marky Delgado came from somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That introduction to MLS will be talked about for years.
    That bloody intro match paid for itself. Zlatan doesn't have to do shit the rest of the season. He will, but he doesn't have to with that first goal and second to win it. Amazing.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Go Whitecaps!
    Well...Go Davies. Nice to see him score even if it was taken back.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Kickoff for Atlanta vs. the Loons likely to be not quite the coldest game ever

-6 with snow
    Wow. Loons can't come back with a man up. So close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

incredible debut by Ibra....even at his age this is a big deal for MLS....hopefully people get that MLS now has the best player from the last 10 years not named Messi or Ronaldo....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the great performance of Ibra and overall very exciting game in LA, was the fact that some of the attendances in a few cities was horrible. Chicago and I think it was their home opener drew around 13000 that’s pathetic, Columbus only had just over 8000 yes we know they might be moving but still , Colorado only just over 10000 again pathetic, Houston announced just over 17000 but one look at all those empty seats and you know maybe what 11000 maybe actually there. These are all cities that consistently draw poor crowds. If these kind of numbers were attendances numbers for any of the other North American leagues like the NHL or NBA or even MLB it would be pretty bad but not that bad because these leagues play a lot more home games double or triple more home games than MLS, so when you are only playing 17 or so home games and only drawing 10 to 13000 that is very troubling. For all the hype on how MLS has improved over the years it still has too many teams drawing nobody to games and this is very troubling.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    With the great performance of Ibra and overall very exciting game in LA, was the fact that some of the attendances in a few cities was horrible. Chicago and I think it was their home opener drew around 13000 that’s pathetic, Columbus only had just over 8000 yes we know they might be moving but still , Colorado only just over 10000 again pathetic, Houston announced just over 17000 but one look at all those empty seats and you know maybe what 11000 maybe actually there. These are all cities that consistently draw poor crowds. If these kind of numbers were attendances numbers for any of the other North American leagues like the NHL or NBA or even MLB it would be pretty bad but not that bad because these leagues play a lot more home games double or triple more home games than MLS, so when you are only playing 17 or so home games and only drawing 10 to 13000 that is very troubling. For all the hype on how MLS has improved over the years it still has too many teams drawing nobody to games and this is very troubling.
    Ah yes the troubling attendance post. I guess we're good for another year or until US open cup or pussplops.

Until the league stops expanding it's business as usual. Columbus will move and Austin may sell out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re attendance. Sure there are issues, but MLS pushing its season start up to early March is madness.

It is seriously cold in Chicago, Columbus, Denver... that game in Minneapolis, what a joke. It's one thing to wind up with cold weather games based on Champions League, but it's quite another to deliberately put games in places like that this time of year. Jeez, it was still miserable here at our home opener in late April 2007!

Soccer is a summer sport. Players get hurt in these conditions (as Hagglund did).

If we didn't have a championship team, no way would I go to our games now. As it is, my wife thinks I am insane to be going tonight.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-03-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Outside of the Big 5 in Europe, MLS attendance is pretty decent. You look at the bottom half teams in Scotland, Portugal, Greece, Netherlands, Russia, etc., and you have attendance well below 10k a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Re attendance. Sure there are issues, but MLS pushing its season start up to early March is madness.

It is seriously cold in Chicago, Columbus, Denver... that game in Minneapolis, what a joke. It's one thing to wind up with cold weather games based on Champions League, but it's quite another to deliberately put games in places like that this time of year. Jeez, it was still miserable here at our home opener in late April 2007!

Soccer is a summer sport. Players get hurt in these conditions (as Hagglund did).

If we didn't have a championship team, no way would I go to our games now. As it is, my wife thinks I am insane to be going tonight.
    I hear you about it being cold but in terms of not playing in cold months however, in order to play regular seasons that are as long as the majority of leagues in Europe and the rest of the world you are going to have to play in a few cold months, European leagues go from August to about May almost 10 month MLS goes from about March to about the first week of November almost 9 month of regular season play which is about right and almost as long as most European leagues. The length of season has to be close to the same as most of the soccer leagues around the world, you can’t have a May to October league a 5 month league and have the majority of players doing nothing when the rest of the world is playing much longer seasons , players in the MLS would lose out to players playing in other leagues world wide who player longer seasons, it would be even harder to attract players to the MLS in a shorter season league. Moreover, many leagues in Europe play a lot of their games in just as cold weather as we get here in the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ While that may be the case in some places, I see no reason to stick too close to what Europe does.

Attendance and the quality of the product is suffering due to scheduling. The league does not have a fan base conditioned to show up at these times nor are the facilities suitable for play this time of year. Our north-south spread of teams creates issues most leagues in Europe do not have.

If Brazil can kick off their season April 14th I see no reason why we can’t do some tweaking. Maybe have an extended number of home stands for southern teams in the early season and then balance it out later in the year?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All sports leagues have a greed problem that is wrecking the product. European football most of all.

If MLS had a 28 or 30 game season, and had better tournaments, they'd have a better TV product.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    All sports leagues have a greed problem that is wrecking the product. European football most of all.

If MLS had a 28 or 30 game season, and had better tournaments, they'd have a better TV product.
    Yeah, there’s an element of this I agree with. Leagues have become really ham-fisted about stuffing the schedule. But how do you convince the people focused on the numbers less is more? And the fans at large?

I remember the NBA season a few years back where they stuffed all the games into a shortened span because of some sort of job action. Multiple players injured during the overloaded season. They basically lost the star power of derick rose in the process who was a top 3 player prior to injury.

Was that enough to convince them 82 games a year plus playoffs was too much or re-think their ways? Nope. People still complain when Lebron takes a day off or Popovic sits his best players. I’ll hold off making snarky comments about the unwashed masses being their own worst enemy when it comes to the quality of what they consume.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they could end the playoffs quicker but I don't see any way MLS could do anything but start in March. The amount of games is about right.

Its also been an unseasonably cold March with no end in sight.