Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The tunnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Article from yesterday. Metrolinx says 2020-2023.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4126498/e...mes-bmo-field/
    wow we work fast!

Next up. FREE ICE CREAM DAY!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    wow we work fast!

Next up. FREE ICE CREAM DAY!
    Nah, butter. We deserve butter. Still waiting for my gravy boat as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest Toronto's public transport infrastructure is a generation behind most real world class cities. There still isn't the willingness to fund and develop it properly. Hoping that a couple of early round minor games in a 40k stadium for a expanded but shattered FIFA World Cup (will it be the same after Russia and Qatar?) is sad really. The smart cities are passing on the WC and the Olympics now...it's not the way to justify infrastructure improvement.

There is major safety and security risk in that tunnel and it should be addressed as a priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should, with proper crowd control, walkway, fences, gates, etc simply let enough people cross the tracks at grade to take the pressure off. Game day only. At a specific time so VIA and GO can plan. 5-7 minutes should be enough. Inexpensive so could to do it for the next game.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-06-2018 at 10:17 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    They should, with proper crowd control, walkway, fences, gates, etc simply let enough people cross the tracks at grade to take the pressure off. Game day only. At a specific time so VIA and GO can plan. 5-7 minutes should be enough. Inexpensive so could to do it for the next game.
    That would cause tremendous problems. People would get used to crossing the tracks, then start ignoring if it's the specific time. Someone would get killed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That would cause tremendous problems. People would get used to crossing the tracks, then start ignoring if it's the specific time. Someone would get killed.
    Plus there are fences between the two outside tracks that VIA uses,, having people cross tracks is a bad idea in so many ways.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    I think they got something like this in Meddilain Colombia to transport people who are located in the hills to the city

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, sir, there's nothin' on earth like a genuine bona-fide electrified six-car monorail!

My job here is done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In past years during the Indy, race fences (and more specifically the 30 foot gap that was kept open) would serve to corral people at the street, rather than the doors to the tunnel. That worked well.

Create the gridlock at a point where people can head east to Strahan, west to Dufferin, or file through some sort of gateway before reaching the gardiner (and the omnishambles of everyone waddling through two doors). The difference in tunnel pedestrian flow when those race walls were there was incredible.

Concrete bollards and cheap fencing (already on site at the Ex), and it’s a cheap, easy and effective fix. Plus there are generally officers working that intersection on game days already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a saying in the rail biz: Every Rule Is Written In Blood.

This idea is not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My article for Waking the Red about liberty village and the building of a new bridge:

https://www.wakingthered.com/2018/4/...ter-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben, the bridge that was announced does not assist with crossing from the Ex to Liberty Village over the Lakeshore West corridor. The announced bridge will span the Kitchener/Milton train corridor, spanning from Douro to Western Battery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    Ben, the bridge that was announced does not assist with crossing from the Ex to Liberty Village over the Lakeshore West corridor. The announced bridge will span the Kitchener/Milton train corridor, spanning from Douro to Western Battery.
    Indeed, but it provides another way to get from the exhibition grounds to liberty village and isn't much further than the Dufferin Street Bridge. It won't make a huge difference but it will provide a bit of relief until one is built @ Exhibition Station

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Indeed, but it provides another way to get from the exhibition grounds to liberty village and isn't much further than the Dufferin Street Bridge. It won't make a huge difference but it will provide a bit of relief until one is built @ Exhibition Station
    No it doesn't. It doesn't connect into the Ex grounds at all.
    Anyone coming from BMO Field that wants to use that new bridge will still need to cross at the GO tunnel (or walk east all the way to Strachan and double back), so the bottleneck point will stay the same.

Last edited by wopchop; 04-08-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, on the bright side the latest we'll have to deal with this is up until the world cup. MLSE or the city is gonna have to buy and or knock down the food court in order to accommodate the new north stand. At that point they'll have to figure out a new tunnel/pathway to better accommodate the increase in bodies going through it.

so, I think this is very likely gonna get fixed eventually. Just probably won't get fixed until it is absolutely necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Yeah as others have noted the bridge, which has been a very long time planned/coming is only making it easier to cross the tracked from King to the heart of Liberty. It will have zero impact on the tunnel or access to the Ex grounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is supposed to be a "Liberty Village" stop added to the Kitchener / UP Express Line - so this bridge may be part of that overall plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm tempted to take the train to Union and taking the next westbound train from there to avoid the tunnel and having to squeeze onto the westbound train at the ex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next to signing Paul Dickov, this is the worst idea I have ever heard on this board.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, Go trains do cross streets and highways on 15 minute loops north of the city, but that's on roadways void of alcohol and mass crowds.

The goal of this thread was to mitigate danger, and though in theory, one should be able to create a walk way, it would most certainly be more dangerous than the current set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Next to signing Paul Dickov, this is the worst idea I have ever heard on this board.
    Thanks for my laugh of the day. I needed that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    I'm tempted to take the train to Union and taking the next westbound train from there to avoid the tunnel and having to squeeze onto the westbound train at the ex.
    Hey when the fares drop to $3 next year that'll be the GO equivalent to taking the Eastbound subway from Yonge&Bloor to Sherbourne then hopping on the empty Westbound train back through the rush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    I say we higher Paul Dickov to design and manage the solution for the tunnel with no oversite or inspections.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the tunnel was at peak capacity before the major BMO expansion of the past few years. Adding an extra 10,000 people to the stadium without an expanded plan to deal with them was an oversight.

I walk the Dufferin Bridge now, and kill time before going to the train station.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    the tunnel was at peak capacity before the major BMO expansion of the past few years. Adding an extra 10,000 people to the stadium without an expanded plan to deal with them was an oversight.

I walk the Dufferin Bridge now, and kill time before going to the train station.
    Problem is the Dufferin bridge is really narrow...its not much better, just an above ground cage. After the final last December I ended up some how on the street side instead of the pedestrian walk facing traffic- a disaster of another kind.