Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post

Osorio is upping his game big time over the last year.

I watched the whole game live stream and Osorio was the anchor (the Bradley to the team.. settling the plays, making the smart passes, recovering the missed passes and plays) he was the key man.
    1. Contract year, he is the only member of the team without a contract for next year...
    2. Why can’t he play every game like this, it would actually make me like him more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    1. Contract year, he is the only member of the team without a contract for next year...
    2. Why can’t he play every game like this, it would actually make me like him more...
    1. No contract motivates people.

2. I think there was a spell were Osorio seemed to have lost his confidence.

I can say that I am probably one of Osorio's biggest critics, but when he has played well. have applauded him, and hope he continues to play well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen too many updates on our injured players, but I'm guessing this for Friday:

--------------------Bono--------------------
    ---------Hagglund--Moor--Mavinga-------
    --van der Wiel--------------------Morgan--
    ----Aketxe----Bradley----Osorio-------
    ---------Giovinco--Altidore-------------

With Auro, Vasquez and Ricketts getting a fair amount time (which Vanney rarely does), depending on how the game goes...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Haven't seen too many updates on our injured players, but I'm guessing this for Friday:

--------------------Bono--------------------
    ---------Hagglund--Moor--Mavinga-------
    --van der Wiel--------------------Morgan--
    ----Aketxe----Bradley----Osorio-------
    ---------Giovinco--Altidore-------------

With Auro, Vasquez and Ricketts getting a fair amount time (which Vanney rarely does), depending on how the game goes...
    I'd say rest some guys for Tuesday but I bet Vanney won't.

Definitely Zavaleta instead of Hagglund though. No idea why but it's what Vanney prefers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One day we will have a game where its double digit temperatures....one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    1. No contract motivates people.

2. I think there was a spell were Osorio seemed to have lost his confidence.

I can say that I am probably one of Osorio's biggest critics, but when he has played well. have applauded him, and hope he continues to play well.
    1. Money motivates people...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lads, driving in from the East Coast for the match on Friday. Where are people meeting for some pre-game adult beverages?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchizo View Post
    Lads, driving in from the East Coast for the match on Friday. Where are people meeting for some pre-game adult beverages?
    Shoeless Joes. E of King and Dufferin.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I'd say rest some guys for Tuesday but I bet Vanney won't.

Definitely Zavaleta instead of Hagglund though. No idea why but it's what Vanney prefers.
    I think it's Vanny's preference because Zavaleta is better with the ball at his feet than Hagglund.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I think it's Vanny's preference because Zavaleta is better with the ball at his feet than Hagglund.
    Yeah that's why lol.

Hagglund makes better passes and is better in the air. I dont think Zavaleta is necessarily better with his feet either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering, is there still a sanction on the south-end for tomorrow's game? There seemed to be no capo for most of the SGs during the home opener except the RPB section..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I feel like Zavaleta is quicker and better 1v1 and Hagglund is better in the air and positionally. In the end Zavaleta's qualities mean he's better suited to playing the outside of the 3 at the back than Hagglund. Four at the back formation I'd be upset not to see Mavinga and Hagglund though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are really dependent upon Moor's savvy & Mavinga's awareness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to start seeing why Aketxe and VDW were signed. They are luxury signings let's see if we can afford to have them on the roster with more important needs at centreback and for a #8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some squad rotation may be in the cards.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO

We don't need another #8.

VDW is the starter & will get the time to learn when to go ahead.

Aketxe is going to catch up eventually and get minutes - he's a long term investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not or enough playing time yet to make that determination yet. I like both signings.

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I feel like Zavaleta is quicker and better 1v1 and Hagglund is better in the air and positionally. In the end Zavaleta's qualities mean he's better suited to playing the outside of the 3 at the back than Hagglund. Four at the back formation I'd be upset not to see Mavinga and Hagglund though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO Haggs is the 2nd best Central Def on the team outside of Mavinga....Moor is too slow and most likely in his last season & Zavaletta is hit or miss most nights. We need a Kamil Glik (monaco) type of central defender that we can afford with TAM etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    1. Money motivates people...
    Pride and success motivate people. to suggest that Osorio's improved play is the result of his contract is remarkably inconsistent with the facts. He started playing well in the middle of last season - it was something to do with being dropped and the coaching and motivation that Vannney and his team gave during training. Also to do with the fact that Vanney plays those who earn it. He earned it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Need to start seeing why Aketxe and VDW were signed. They are luxury signings let's see if we can afford to have them on the roster with more important needs at centreback and for a #8.
    Totally agreed that we need to see more from those two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Hagglund hasn't quite gotten back to his best, but he has it in him. Remember how dominant he was in the air v Montreal in 2016? "Don't change the play don't change the play"....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Pride and success motivate people. to suggest that Osorio's improved play is the result of his contract is remarkably inconsistent with the facts. He started playing well in the middle of last season - it was something to do with being dropped and the coaching and motivation that Vannney and his team gave during training. Also to do with the fact that Vanney plays those who earn it. He earned it.
    Think I’m a bit confused on why you are quoting my post, no where have I stated Osorio’s imporoved play is based on contract. I stated facts, he is in a contract year and the only member of the squad without a contract. And the “money motivates people” comment was in response to Derko stating no contracts motivate people, as that is a factually incorrect statement, because money motivates people.

i do agree with portions of your statement though, although I believe he started playing “better”, not “well” mid season, but like everyone has off games and makes bonehead mistakes. He has figured out his strengths and how he fits with the rest of the team. He gets time because he works his ass off (not only game situations, but practice as well), because if you really think mid season last year, that’s when he was on the bottom of the midfield depth chart...

im much happier this year, now that he has moved on to grown up socks and matches the rest of the team, instead of short socks cause that was one of my biggest gripes about him last year,

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GAME DAY!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t notice the socks.....

I understood you to be saying his improved play was motivated by the expiry of his contract. I don’t agree with that because his improved play came after he was dropped and had to fight for his position.

If I misunderstood your post, apologies.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-30-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-4-2 today

VdW-Zavs-Moor-Morgan
    Hasler-Oso-Bradley-Aketxe
    Ricketts- Givinco
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-30-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my view of this game:

Go team. Do your best. But I do not really care, and will not get grumpy if we do not get the result.

We moved straight out of MLS playoff/Cup stress into CCL stress. After that there are important flowers to smell.

I have not yet sat at BMO on a warm summer day or night, beer in hand, truly enjoyed watching our great players, in a stress free, isn't this awesome? sort of way. Or spent lulls looking up absentmindedly at the championship banner. I intend to bask in supporting a championship team, and players I love, properly, and I am not letting the standings interfere with these activities, my/our reward for this magnificent team.

By summer, around the time the World Cup ends, I will have done these things. Then I will engage in the 2018 MLS season.

I will care about the standings, sure, but I will have utter faith that we will be a playoff team, and we will be the playoff team no one wants to see.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-30-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only won completely unimpressed by Aketxe so far? I know he's still coming into fitness and hasn't really been given a role yet so I'm withholding total judgement, but I don't see how Chapman or Hasler wouldn't produce the same if not more right now. Neither get enough playing time even though they probably deserve it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow 1 and a half games isn't much to go on. Give him some time. He needs time to gel and learn his teammates in-game tendencies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Here is my view of this game:

Go team. Do your best. But I do not really care, and will not get grumpy if we do not get the result.

We moved straight out of MLS playoff/Cup stress into CCL stress. After that there are important flowers to smell.

I have not yet sat at BMO on a warm summer day or night, beer in hand, truly enjoyed watching our great players, in a stress free, isn't this awesome? sort of way. Or spent lulls looking up absentmindedly at the championship banner. I intend do a lot of these things this year, and I am not letting the standings interfere with any this, my/our reward for this magnificent team.

By summer, around the time the World Cup ends, I will have done these things. Then I will re-engage.

I will care about the standings, sure, but I will have utter faith that we will be a playoff team, and we will be the playoff team no one wants to see.
    This.

Pretty much how I feel about the first half of this season. We're undeniably a very talented team with a coach who knows how to get good players to play well together. We have tons of big game players who are able to add an extra gear or two when things get important. We have enough depth to keep us in the mix of things over the first couple months. We'll be fine come the end of the season.

The Current Golden State Warrior's season I think is a pretty good reference point for what our season is going to look like. That's pretty good company to be in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attending this evening is Blasphemous for all Jews and Catholics out there!

Kidding!
    Enjoy the game!
    Go Reds!