Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 3 - RSL @ TFC Friday March 30 8pm - Its Gonna Be a Good Day, a fine day

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates on Mavinga and Morrow injuries?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know we live in a secular society, but I'm wondering why the league would put a match on Passover (starts at sundown) and Good Friday? TV ratings? It's not like Saturday is a work day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I know we live in a secular society, but I'm wondering why the league would put a match on Passover (starts at sundown) and Good Friday? TV ratings? It's not like Saturday is a work day.
    I think it's TSN who want us playing on Fridays until CFL season starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucks, exactly the reason that I can't attend. Wish it was a Saturday game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't be there. Even though I am not overly religious I will be up in Ottawa visiting family over the long weekend. It would be interesting if a player chose not to play on good Friday, would not be there first time.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestingly, RSL actively avoids Sunday games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot has changed in 70 years.....

In the early 1950s Toronto had a Sunday sports curfew that prevented games starting before 1:30 p.m. and they had to be done by 6 p.m.The ridiculousness of the curfew was brought home in 1951. A Saturday evening playoff hockey game between the Leafs and Boston Bruins, tied at 1-1, had to stop overtime just before midnight because the Sunday curfew would not allow the game to continue after midnight. The entire game was scrapped and the series moved on to Boston.

I was reading where it was always difficult for the Maple Leafs of Intercounty baseball ( only baseball in town at that time ) to complete doubleheaders on Sunday, they had to call off the 2nd game midway due to the curfew and resume it the next time they faced the same team.
    Last edited by azorean; 03-22-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always confuse Mormons with Adventists for some reason, I'm ignorant, different Sabbaths I learned BUT I would understand why you would not / should not schedule Sunday games in Utah.
    Last edited by azorean; 03-22-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have we had a friday game before?

also, being good friday and pass-over, will there be fish and unleavened bread options

sadly, i wont be able to make this as well due to family events.
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 03-23-2018 at 08:29 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    Bill Manning was their director at the time. Interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is way to early in the season to call this a must win, but I feel we need a positive result here just for moral reasons.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    have we had a friday game before?

also, being good friday and pass-over, will there be fish and unleavened bread options

sadly, i wont be able to make this as well due to family events.

Pretty sure our first GOOD Friday match.

It's fine. Oso is ready. Tos, too. Don't forget Morgan. They all played well this past weekend.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    It is way to early in the season to call this a must win, but I feel we need a positive result here just for moral reasons.
    I don't think it's too early ... this is a must-win. Can't go 0-3 to start the season, and even a draw would feel inadequate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I don't think it's too early ... this is a must-win. Can't go 0-3 to start the season, and even a draw would feel inadequate.
    I agree, it really is a must win in my opinion. TFC have to be ruthless

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Western team at home - always demand a win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have been in a lot of must win games lately. Friday is not one of them.

We do want to win. But I am not going to get after anyone if it doesn't happen. The primary job Friday night is getting set for Tuesday.

I am not getting my shorts in a knot over the fact that we may not win the SS.

We know this team can rip off a big streak post CCL.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see what Vanney does with the midfield. All season he has gone with what he thinks is the best lineup for the day, never appearing to have half an eye on the next game ( except possibly with the subs). The new guys have failed to convince ( including VdW). Hasler did well in his time on while Bradley was off his game last match, partly because Delgado didn’t start, yet Delgado is away with USMNT. VV still seems to be hurt, and back 8njuries can be debilitating. Added to all that, Vanney said that Osorio was the best player on the pitch in the Canada game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Vanney's latest comments I expect Morgan to start at LB, Morrow probably needs the rest to be ready for Tuesday.

I would give Vazquez 45-60 minutes to try to get him up to speed as we will probably need him for 90 minutes vs. America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    From Vanney's latest comments I expect Morgan to start at LB, Morrow probably needs the rest to be ready for Tuesday.

I would give Vazquez 45-60 minutes to try to get him up to speed as we will probably need him for 90 minutes vs. America.
    both those make sense. But what about Axteke, Hasler, Delgado? Where to they fit in? If Morgan is starting I am guessing Van der Weil starts for experience, but Auro sure has earned a start. Nice dilemmas. They might put Ricketts on to go more direct, as well, given Vanney’s comments about ball movement. On the other hand,he seems to be treating this run like the playoffs: best available 11 given the formation he wants to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Morgan was wide open the whole time he was on, and they almost never passed to him. They need to use that width better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    both those make sense. But what about Axteke, Hasler, Delgado? Where to they fit in? If Morgan is starting I am guessing Van der Weil starts for experience, but Auro sure has earned a start. Nice dilemmas. They might put Ricketts on to go more direct, as well, given Vanney’s comments about ball movement. On the other hand,he seems to be treating this run like the playoffs: best available 11 given the formation he wants to play.
    I think I would do Vazquez, Oso, and either Delgado or Hasler in midfield, can't decide on them. Ricketts in place of Altidore, who's looked a little sluggish lately (but I trust him to bring it on Tuesday, he seems to live for those big home games).

I wouldn't mind seeing VdW start this one and Auro start on Tuesday. Auro's been better going forward thus far and we need the goals, I'd rather not head to Mexico in that tie with just a one goal advantage again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think I would do Vazquez, Oso, and either Delgado or Hasler in midfield, can't decide on them. Ricketts in place of Altidore, who's looked a little sluggish lately (but I trust him to bring it on Tuesday, he seems to live for those big home games).

I wouldn't mind seeing VdW start this one and Auro start on Tuesday. Auro's been better going forward thus far and we need the goals, I'd rather not head to Mexico in that tie with just a one goal advantage again.
    We might be hoping for too much. We haven't scored in MLS and not freely in CONCACAF. We really need to get some goal scoring swagger back on Friday. I'd start Victor if he is healthy...if he doesn't play on Friday he shouldn't play on Tuesday. We have to get Rickets back on the pitch to have something different up front. I'd give Jozy 60 minutes on Friday and Rickets 30.

Any updates on Mavinga? Is he back to fitness?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Same here!
    If we do not win, we can get in such a hole, that we can say already good bye to the Supporter's shield... with New York looking so far like a metronome.
    What if they can keep up like this all year long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a must win, but we really need a strong performance, and preferably, 3 points. We haven't scored a goal in 2 regular season games, which is baffling considering the talent on this squad.

The CCL is obviously the primary focus, but we still have to get back on course in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We have been in a lot of must win games lately. Friday is not one of them.

We do want to win. But I am not going to get after anyone if it doesn't happen. The primary job Friday night is getting set for Tuesday.

I am not getting my shorts in a knot over the fact that we may not win the SS.

We know this team can rip off a big streak post CCL.
    I agree with you many times, and for the most part agree with you here, but I think I am in-between the "We Have to Win" and the "We Want to Win " opinion. In other words, I'm waffling. I mean , granted, we have bigger fish to fry at this point in CCL BUT at the same time 2 losses in MLS, ugly as they were, you kind of need a response here, hopefully a winning response. I know I said CCL is a priority, it is, and there is still ample time in the MLS season, but you don't want to throw away the early season at the same time. A home loss, after much rest, vs a sub par, injury riddled , non playoff team would be a bit concerning here in this situation,
    Last edited by azorean; 03-27-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Must win” would mean Vazquez, Morrow and Giovinco go 90 minutes if at all possible.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    “Must win” would mean Vazquez, Morrow and Giovinco go 90 minutes if at all possible.

Morrow seems like he's highly questionable at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to see Auro play LW/LB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Vanney does with the midfield. All season he has gone with what he thinks is the best lineup for the day, never appearing to have half an eye on the next game ( except possibly with the subs). The new guys have failed to convince ( including VdW). Hasler did well in his time on while Bradley was off his game last match, partly because Delgado didn’t start, yet Delgado is away with USMNT. VV still seems to be hurt, and back 8njuries can be debilitating. Added to all that, Vanney said that Osorio was the best player on the pitch in the Canada game.
    Yup that was what I posted in the post match thread.

Osorio is upping his game big time over the last year.

I watched the whole game live stream and Osorio was the anchor (the Bradley to the team.. settling the plays, making the smart passes, recovering the missed passes and plays) he was the key man.

I will grant you that the team was probably Canada's "C" team with some of the young prospects getting blooded but its still a great accomplishment for a local player to effectively captain the national team. (I know he wasn't the captain, but you get my drift)
    Last edited by Alonso; 03-27-2018 at 09:06 PM.